• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Been doing some companion quests and feeling pretty WTF:

So I helped Kurt to investigate the Ghost Regiment. Shut down the camp, killed the officers, spared all the recruits, super. Along the way we learn that the camp was training super-loyal assassins, and the job was to get them close to each governor.

So instead of going to Constantin right away and warning him that some of his guards might be sleeper assassins, we're just gonna carry on, until Kurt feels he's "ready to act". I mean, they're gonna know that we know soon, and that'll force them to act. Why are we delaying?

Found that pretty annoying. Aside from that been helping Aphra and Petrus mostly.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Okay, the "Origins of Theleme" quest line. It is awesome. The showdown's gonna be something brutal, I suspect. The fight with the Inquisition was pretty brutal, but I have maxed out the Technical skill tree, so my traps + bombs are basically a shower of fiery or poison death.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Still really enjoying this game about 40 hours in. I'm also nowhere near done with the game, it'll probably last for another 20 hours which is awesome.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Still really enjoying this game about 40 hours in. I'm also nowhere near done with the game, it'll probably last for another 20 hours which is awesome.

Same lol

Only problem is I'm murdering everyone even on the highest difficulty as a mage...

Maybe I'll respecc to 2-handed Swords, see how that goes.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Just hit 41 hours, and i'm not sure I'm even halfway through the story yet. Some momentous stuff has gone down with the Coin Guard, and now I'm back to SQ1, but with extra urgency on the clock.

I also managed to make nice with Theleme and earn one of the rarest Steam achievements, apparently. Now, if I can only figure out how to make friends with Nauts and the Alliance...

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
13ish hours in, i am really enjoying it although of course i do have issues and they are mostly budget related.
I like that even sidequests are rather long and offer multiple approaches.
Also really love that some specific feats (climbing high walls, jumping long ledges, sneak in small places, etc.) is tied to a trait, that feels very pen and paper and i appreciate it.

Any tips on money and equipment? I keep staying low on gold and still have a couple of starting gear pieces.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
13ish hours in, i am really enjoying it although of course i do have issues and they are mostly budget related.
Also really love that some specific feats (climbing high walls, jumping long ledges, sneak in small places, etc.) is tied to a trait, that feels very pen and paper and i appreciate it.

Any tips on money and equipment? I keep staying low on gold and still have a couple of starting gear pieces.
Sell grey equipment but not before equiping your teammates
You will get good equip ment in due time esp. If u get max friendship in side quests as they reward equipment

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

-Every time you visit a city, portable crates respawn, so you get fresh ammo, bombs/traps, healing potions and some gold.
-monsters drop a lot of "junk" that can be sold.
-check out native ruins, they sometimes have some cool loot. The map with Siora's village has some Unique loot I've used for most of the game.
-the more you explore, the more stuff you find that you can sell.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to beating this. The first 15 or so hours was pretty good but then the repetition starting setting in.

Greedfall has tons of potential and is in desperate need of a enhanced/definitive edition. Make combat more interesting, add more variety to quests and pretty much everything else and clean up all the graphical jank.

This game also had some of the least ominous villain names ever. Candy Cain killed me, especially the way that Petrus was always so damn serious about a dude with what was possibly a stripper, prostitute and/or pimp name. Egon was another bad one. I automatically thought of the guy from Ghostbusters, not an image that puts fear into the heart of anyone.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I don't know how to put it, but Greedfall feels like a decent game from 2010. I've played Divinity: Dragon Knight Saga this year and Greedfall is about on its level. I like being an diplomat and having multiple ways to solve quests, but the possibilities never reach Obsidian or early Bioware title levels. The writing is really good but many (not all) quests are still on railroads leading to a specific conclusion. I find combat very boring in this game. I absolutely dislike the 'level design'. There have been quite a few missions where I was supposed to sneak into buildings or villages and it has been SO easy in the sense that I didn't encounter a single NPC. I can hardly call that game design even. So much good work went into designing the different colonizing nations and the island's natives but then buildings, structures and even interiors often look identical. When emphasizing the different cultures so much, you can't afford to make them look so similar (and yes, other games with little budget did that better). This title is just a lot bigger than it should be, unfortunately. I'm still enjoying my time mostly though.

I pretty much agree 100% with this post:

I do feel like it had the potential to be a lot more than what it was. They could've leaned a lot more into the whole diplomacy aspect, made the alliances and political relationships deeper, more complex and delicate, made negotiating a bigger part of the game. And as I've said, the plot really doesn't do the world and its inhabitants justice. It's not a terrible story by any means but it could've been so much better, I feel. Tonally, too, it could've done with being a bit darker IMO. A lot of the themes it deals with are quite dark but the game's overall tone doesn't really reflect that.

Gotta say all in all I enjoyed ELEX more, despite its jank, and I think Outer Worlds will be vastly superior to this game because the roleplaying aspect will be stronger. This should have been an even stronger focus when playing a diplomat. Morrowind still nailed it best with the way it designs opposing factions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ended up playing through this a second time, this time on extreme difficulty.

Was much more enjoyable the second time and the extra difficulty made the combat worthwhile. On normal I breezed through the game but here I had to use stasis, poison blades and lots of gun fire.

Took a few different paths and was surprised that they did have a decent effect on the world.

And playing with both the male and female characters I was Impressed with both voice actors. Hopefully hear them in more roles.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finished it at 24 hours, all sidequests except the camps and notes completed.

I think I got a bad ending. Can someone confirm if this choice is why:

I chose derde as high queen and got the "left the contintent to its sad fate" ending. I assume Dunncan would have been the way to go to heal the malichor? I thought driving out the invaders would have had a similar effect as they would not be damaging the island anymore.

And man, going full magic was super powerful in mobfights because of the crowd control but the bosses took forever. Still think magic was the way to go simply because I could kill all monsters with a brainded storm+aoe damage combo, and I assume melee had more trouble with those.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it at 24 hours, all sidequests except the camps and notes completed.

I think I got a bad ending. Can someone confirm if this choice is why:

I chose derde as high queen and got the "left the contintent to its sad fate" ending. I assume Dunncan would have been the way to go to heal the malichor? I thought driving out the invaders would have had a similar effect as they would not be damaging the island anymore.

And man, going full magic was super powerful in mobfights because of the crowd control but the bosses took forever. Still think magic was the way to go simply because I could kill all monsters with a brainded storm+aoe damage combo, and I assume melee had more trouble with those.
You got one of the bad endings. I made the same choice you did at that point, but I knew it was wrong when de sardet said so herself a bit later on.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
49 hours in, finished another batch of side quests (this time all of Alliance and Coin Guard quests), and now I have nothing to do except investigate Petrus' lead in the main quest. 2 camps and 4 notes left to find.

The Alliance questline was... messed up. The "Redemption" arc doesn't work nearly as well as "origins of Theleme", imho. Still, I got the friendly rep, so that's neat.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
bVMetjI.png

Came across this poor piece of translating a minute ago. It's very... unfortunate, because the word is renege and past tense is reneged.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Ok this game is in sale right now and I'm curios about it. How good is it? I don't trust too many reviews so I thought I'd ask here.

thanks in advance!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Ok this game is in sale right now and I'm curios about it. How good is it? I don't trust too many reviews so I thought I'd ask here.

thanks in advance!

It's a fun RPG in the style of early Witcher titles, with a pinch of Bioware (companions) thrown in for good measure.

The setting is original (aided by strong and distinct art direction); there's almost no filler quests- everything is related to the main characters/factions. The RPG systems are fine. Character progression and combat aren't amazing, but they work.

Well worth a look, imo.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
It's a fun RPG in the style of early Witcher titles, with a pinch of Bioware (companions) thrown in for good measure.

The setting is original (aided by strong and distinct art direction); there's almost no filler quests- everything is related to the main characters/factions. The RPG systems are fine. Character progression and combat aren't amazing, but they work.

Well worth a look, imo.
Ok thanks I think ima get it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Glad the marketing for Greedfall is still going on. It's easy to let a good game like this get buried in the holiday releases, so hopefully a few more RPG fans can dive in and see if it's to their tastes.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I've played this game on my OG PS4 and PS4 Pro, both on different displays and I'm getting a washed out look, like the gamma is jacked up. I've fooled with the in game brightness and that really doesn't seem to do too much as the gamma just seems bugged. Any suggestions, anyone else notice this issue?

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed this from amazon on BF along with Indivisible and have been enjoying immensely. Got this Legendary hammer from a quest and I've been dragging fools with it ever since. Only things about the game that bother me are the misspellings in the captions, and the mispronunciation of certain words.

What the FUCK is a leftenant?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Are there any bonuses to wearing a full set (like a legendary set such as the merchant prince's)?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
No, I don't believe there are. You can mix and match however you what.
Thanks.

Other question:

I started the quest "Treason!" where Kurt warned me of the coup. I saved Constantin and the two advisers (the minister and Mr. de Courcillon) and I'm on my way to warn Lady Morange.

But, I have some story quests not finished yet, relating to the cure for the Malichor. "Face to Face with the Demon" and "Quest for a Panacea" or something like that.

Am I locked out of some side-quests by starting Treason! right now? For example earlier I did the side-quest to close down the mine, which required Mr. de Courcillon and Lady Morange (it was kind of stupid how they made you run around to them, and the archives for the contracts, twice.... but anyway). I assume this quest gets locked out after Treason, no?

So, I'm not worried about that one because I finished it, but I wonder if there are others like it...

Okingjrr

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
France
Thanks.

Other question:

I started the quest "Treason!" where Kurt warned me of the coup. I saved Constantin and the two advisers (the minister and Mr. de Courcillon) and I'm on my way to warn Lady Morange.

But, I have some story quests not finished yet, relating to the cure for the Malichor. "Face to Face with the Demon" and "Quest for a Panacea" or something like that.

Am I locked out of some side-quests by starting Treason! right now? For example earlier I did the side-quest to close down the mine, which required Mr. de Courcillon and Lady Morange (it was kind of stupid how they made you run around to them, and the archives for the contracts, twice.... but anyway). I assume this quest gets locked out after Treason, no?

So, I'm not worried about that one because I finished it, but I wonder if there are others like it...
Slight spoilers for companion and side quests below

You can get locked out of Kurt's companion quests if you haven't done the ones available before the coup.
If you haven't done his quests before the coup, he betrays you and you have to kill him.

You can get locked out of more side quests after the coup, but if you're doing side content before advancing story missions, you should be fine.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Slight spoilers for companion and side quests below

You can get locked out of Kurt's companion quests if you haven't done the ones available before the coup.
If you haven't done his quests before the coup, he betrays you and you have to kill him.

You can get locked out of more side quests after the coup, but if you're doing side content before advancing story missions, you should be fine.
OK thanks. So will any of the remaining story missions generate any side-quests that would get me locked out? Specifically those about the Malichor cure, sometimes story quests kinda open up related side-quests, and I worried about those being locked out... basically wondered if I should have done the Malichor side-quests before the coup or not, but maybe it's completely independent.

And yeah I kind of wondered if that's what would happen, the game strongly hinted
that Kurt was very close to siding with the coup, but couldn't bring himself to do it because of his relationship with De Sardet which was obviously further developed in the companion quest. That's pretty damn cool to be honest.

Okingjrr

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
France
OK thanks. So will any of the remaining story missions generate any side-quests that would get me locked out? Specifically those about the Malichor cure, sometimes story quests kinda open up related side-quests, and I worried about those being locked out... basically wondered if I should have done the Malichor side-quests before the coup or not, but maybe it's completely independent.

And yeah I kind of wondered if that's what would happen, the game strongly hinted
that Kurt was very close to siding with the coup, but couldn't bring himself to do it because of his relationship with De Sardet which was obviously further developed in the companion quest. That's pretty damn cool to be honest.
Short answer: Yes, but not that much.

The malicore is a main quest, I think. you can't get locked out of that one.
For examples of side quests that can be affected by progression:
- You can't complete Siora's quest line if you don't do it before a certain trial
- And there's a naut side quest that gets a default "bad" ending if you do it BEFORE a certain main quest (I can spoil it for you, but I'd advise you experience it for yourself )
About 1 or 2 native quests can be locked out, but they're not all that important to the bigger plot. Just for lore.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Well this sucks. I think I have this bug:
For picking the High King I gave the crown to Duncas, but I got Ullan as High King instead. Ugh. I don't want that slimy fucker as High King! Tried reloading but no luck. In the Steam thread they encouraged me to send a bug report, so I did that... :\

So in the meantime I reloaded, and I gave the crown to Derdre. While I'd have preferred Duncas' wisdom and peaceful (but not pushover/doormat) path, I feel she's well entitled to try and drive off the damn colonists off, I prefer this to Ullan's fuckery :)
I'm gonna continue playing along this path reluctantly for now, but do I have a lot left? I just did the two quests regarding animal attacks, and Constant went completely mad and forced me to fight a Guardian and now I gotta summon the entire Island against him or something, how much do I have left if I do all of that quest's side-objectives? The only side-quest I have still open is the professor document crap that I can't be arsed with.

Normally I don't ask, but if I reload my older save to get Duncas as High King (which is my preferred outcome and I'm sure it will affect the story/ending) I hope I won't have that much to re-do all over again...

Last edited:

Okingjrr

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
France
Well this sucks. I think I have this bug:
For picking the High King I gave the crown to Duncas, but I got Ullan as High King instead. Ugh. I don't want that slimy fucker as High King! Tried reloading but no luck. In the Steam thread they encouraged me to send a bug report, so I did that... :\

So in the meantime I reloaded, and I gave the crown to Derdre. While I'd have preferred Duncas' wisdom and peaceful (but not pushover/doormat) path, I feel she's well entitled to try and drive off the damn colonists off, I prefer this to Ullan's fuckery :)
I'm gonna continue playing along this path reluctantly for now, but do I have a lot left? I just did the two quests regarding animal attacks, and Constant went completely made and forced me to fight a Guardian and now I gotta summon the entire Island against him or something, how much do I have left if I do all of that quest's side-objectives? The only side-quest I have still open is the professor document crap that I can't be arsed with.

Normally I don't ask, but if I reload my older save to get Duncas as High King (which is my preferred outcome and I'm sure it will affect the story/ending) I hope I won't have that much to re-do all over again...

That sucks... as one of the steam post said, the High King you should have should be the one you give the crown to.
I'm going to assume reloading a save before being Carants with Ullan is out of the question. In that case, he wouldn't be considered by the game to be a contender.

You're pretty much at the end of the game. You should have 3-4 quests left from what you explained. Maybe a good 1.5-2 hours left.

Choosing your High King is main mission number 21 out of 28 so you wouldn't have that many main quests to do over if you choose to reload a save.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
That sucks... as one of the steam post said, the High King you should have should be the one you give the crown to.
I'm going to assume reloading a save before being Carants with Ullan is out of the question. In that case, he wouldn't be considered by the game to be a contender.

You're pretty much at the end of the game. You should have 3-4 quests left from what you explained. Maybe a good 1.5-2 hours left.

Choosing your High King is main mission number 21 out of 28 so you wouldn't have that many main quests to do over if you choose to reload a save.
OK thanks. And yeah I did Ullan's sidequests loooooong ago, no way I'm reloading that

I hope support can help :( If not... go Derdre and fuck the renaigse I guess lolol

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Well this is weird. I reloaded an earlier save, re-did the crown quest, and now it's... fine? Wut?

Onwards to the end-game, then!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Is the screen tearing fixed on the One X yet? If not I can get for PS4 Pro.

PSA: $25 today at GameStop

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having a hell of a time getting this to run on a One X. Keeps freezing, or crashing, or losing dialogue sound. I've yet to make it out of seeing my mother in the opening without it freezing.

I tried some janky workaround posted online about changing your 4k and hdr settings, to no avail. Deleted and redownloaded twice. Super frustrated.

Nov 21, 2017
Having a hell of a time getting this to run on a One X. Keeps freezing, or crashing, or losing dialogue sound. I've yet to make it out of seeing my mother in the opening without it freezing.

I tried some janky workaround posted online about changing your 4k and hdr settings, to no avail. Deleted and redownloaded twice. Super frustrated.

Weird never ran into any technical problems when I played this on my base PS4 back in January.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
finished this at 25 hours.
There are a lot of good things to be said about this game, it's a huge step up from technomancer in every way, it has a clear vision and an own unique look, combat gameplay is fine (played as a caster) and the quest design is actually even really good.

but why was I bored so much then? I think one of the games biggest problems is that it looks so much the same everywhere. you can discover plenty of locations on the map, but it's very hard to tell them apart. only a few were memorable. apart from that I don't think the main story was motivating at all, lack of an imminent threat and/or a villain to keep you going. I also don't think the choices mattered a lot. it's very easy to get the best standing with all the factions for instance. it' wasn't really a matter of choice but a matter of just doing everything.

still worth on a sale I think, which is what I did.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I've put maybe 10 hours into the game so far and have to say I am impressed. It lacks polish in certain ways, but the overall it is a lot of fun.

Apr 18, 2018
Really enjoying this, must be 20 hours in and feel there is another 30 hours but trying to do all sub quests.
It's feeling very Risen 2 to me, although it is some years since I played that game. Loved the series so hope there is more greedfall to come.

Did not realise this was the same team as Technomancer, had a couple of goes at that and it just felt wrong, even though it is exactly my sort of game. Might have to have another go after this.