• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some awful things being said about the KindaFunny crew, Notch and PDP.
You can't come on and say how annoyed you are at these people for saying words that hurt feelings, and then decide to call them horrible names and insults about how talentless they are.
If you don't like people being bullied, don't bully others just because they don't agree with you.

Z9ciyxi.png

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling someone out for sexism and racism isn't as bad as actual racist/transphobic statements. You can criticize tone or whatever and that's fine, but people criticizing Greg and Andrea aren't bullying them. They have a fucking show, they'll be fine and they are supposedly beholden to their audience.

It's not worth it. They are a bad faith alt troll account that snuck in when the website was first made. That post is bait.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
Over here in Belgium, we also have a "pastry", if you can call it that, with the n-word in it. It's still racist though, and not entirely without malice. It basically a different name for mellowcakes.
Huh, I'm in the Netherlands and they changed that name a couple of years ago now. Assuming we're talking about the same thing.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019

Okay, legit question, why not just ban accounts with under 5 posts made around the time the forum started?

Is that too extreme of an option? It just feels like it'd be one of the faster ways to clear out the sheer number of 'i made this account to defend shitty things' stuff from happening....wouldn't prevent it, but would reduce it.

Greg's response of 'bigotry is bad fuck bigotry' without coming outright and condemning PDP and Notch came off as kinda weak tbh.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you being sarcastic? Or are you really trying to have a conversation?

*clicks on avatar*

Too bad we will never know.
I have no idea what youre talking about did you quote the wrong person here?

Also I posted the transcript since you tried to act like she wasnt defending him. Thats bullshit.

- 15:28- "Naw, don't care about notch. He exist." -Andrea Rene.

That was her final comment on that topic. I'm going to relisten to that segment again. Anyone want to time stamp where she is supporting and hand waving? Or is it be cause she is not 100% condemning?
Transcript on previous page pal. categorizing transphobic remarks as nothing but "wacky", saying its not MS banning him but him refusing to show up, saying if MS was the one to ban him it would be wrong and disappointing..totally not defending him tho sure.

Raised in a Barn

Chicken Chaser
Mar 26, 2019
Not to defend, but to add some context - In Sweden (and scandinavia for that matter) it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that older generations outright use the n-word in their local language to describe someone of colour. It doesn't have the same social stigma I guess. I mean we have both pastries with the n-word in its name and a icecream with a o instead of an i in the name for example.

Can other scandinavians stop coming into threads like these and play the "we are just ignorant, haha, what is racism?"
I see them all the fucking time and i getting tired of it.

Our countries arent the most PC but anyone over the age of 16 should know by now that those words are hateful and bigoted.

Also, is the pastry in question Kokosbollar? cause I know I heard people refere to that with another name, but thats not what its really called.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't come on and say how annoyed you are at these people for saying words that hurt feelings, and then decide to call them horrible names and insults about how talentless they are.
If you don't like people being bullied, don't bully others just because they don't agree with you.
Notch is a transphobic, racist with a pipeline to young children and teens due to his involvement in the creation of Minecraft. PDP is a edgelord with a pipeline to to young children that makes statements and introduces ideas that could lead them to fringe elements radicalize them in the future. They are an actual negative force in the world. Fuck their feelings.

And any fuckwit that comes out to downplay or otherwise dismiss their actions to any extant can fuck off as well. Being polite to bad actors is good for gormless centrist assholes and no one less.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Not to defend, but to add some context - In Sweden (and scandinavia for that matter) it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that older generations outright use the n-word in their local language to describe someone of colour. It doesn't have the same social stigma I guess. I mean we have both pastries with the n-word in its name and a icecream with a o instead of an i in the name for example.
I didn't realize PDP was a 78 year old man who has never used the internet before.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, legit question, why not just ban accounts with under 5 posts made around the time the forum started?

Is that too extreme of an option? It just feels like it'd be one of the faster ways to clear out the sheer number of 'i made this account to defend shitty things' stuff from happening....wouldn't prevent it, but would reduce it.
People legit like to lurk and post very rarely.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
Notch is a transphobic, racist with a pipeline to young children and teens due to his involvement in the creation of Minecraft. PDP is a edgelord with a pipeline to to young children that makes statements and introduces ideas that could lead them to fringe elements radicalize them in the future. They are an actual negative force in the world. Fuck their feelings.

And any fuckwit that comes out to downplay or otherwise dismiss their actions to any extant can fuck off as well. Being polite to bad actors is good for gormless centrist assholes and no one less.
This dude gets it.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It speaks to the Nature of discussion of Era that the Accused responds, but people ignore it mostly and just keep on piling on, having made up their opinion from the original post or even before having read it.

I also find it disturbing that so many people here have the heartfelt desire to protect and help minorities - which is an excellent impulse - but find it ok to strongly insult and curse at other forum members, in this case Greg.

It's not a good look and this sort of behavior is exactly what the right wing utilizes when they try to paint progressives as mostly crazy and eating their own.

Even if you strongly feel it's warranted to be rude to people you have identified as Nazis proper, it would be good if you could minimize the personal attacks on everyone else, even if they may have said something you think foolish or deeply flawed.
no one has to accept the response of the "accused"

Greg's response of 'bigotry is bad fuck bigotry' without coming outright and condemning PDP and Notch came off as kinda weak tbh.
threads should be able to be tagged in a way that would lock out users under a certain post count from posting their garbo

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
People legit like to lurk and post very rarely.

I was about to say "I lurked for a long time on the old site, and on here before I made an account, its not that big of a deal, I mean dark mode isn't locked behind it" before realizing important features like being able to put specific members on ignore and such to avoid seeing their posts is locked behind having an account and it does make sense to have one even if you don't post, whoops.

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Scandinavia, Norway to be specific.

There are a lot of immigrants and POC living here so this whole thing is bullshit. Plenty of time have people gone into trouble for using the word or any other word for other races. PewDiePie knew what it meant and even if you try to stretch it and say he comes from Sweden, he lives in London now which should be plenty of experience for him to know he shouldn't use it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, I couldnt hold myself laughing at your post.
"Dont bully others just because they dont agree with you".
As if Notch and PDP's stuff was a matter of opinion. Your kind of thinking is the problem. When someone say something dumb, they get shit for this. It's just reasonable. You dont tell them "oh well agree to disagree here !". Especially when they have such an influence.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck'em both then.

The truth is that all these industry motherfuckers are either actually stealth bigots themselves or just give no shits whatsoever.

And in most cases, i'll honestly go with the first option.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Doesn't it bother you how ridiculous this all sounds?

MS put out a statement that they don't want a known shitwad at their Anniversary event. How is this deserving of criticism?
You don't believe people can hijack a movement/narrative for personal PR gain? Do you know what happened to Aziz Ansari during #metoo ? I think she is accusing MS of the same thing. Joining the tolerance movement that corporations have turned into a marketing/PR strategy this past year. Gillette, Nike, Disney come to mind. She's questioning if a corporation like MS really cares about Notch's views and opinions on a moral level, but if they only care on a business level. Have they taken the time to put out PR condemning him before? Are they doing it now not because they earnestly disagree with his comments or was it PR to protect the narrative of their 10 year event? Did they release this statement for goodwill or to protect their brand($$$)? She explicitly says this. For example isn't it obvious Disney didn't have a problem with Gunn? They only distanced themselves to protect the brand? And once the controversy blew over/ it was in the best interest to bring him back($$$) they did so despite having condemned him in the past? Are we letting these corporations take us for a ride when they "distance" themselves from certain people? I think that's her stance. She is calling BS on MS, and she is saying they are high jacking the issue with Notch to protect the brand and the image of an upcoming event. Not because they actually have a problem with what he said.

Now let's be clear, that's quite a take. And I don't agree with her 100% because I also believe companies are taking Ls by taking a stand because bigots/ racist then decide to not give them their dollars. I've heard some say that my stance is wrong though and that it is a net positive because bigotry, while vocal, is the objective minority and non bigots who didn't have any interest in your product now do take interest in your product when you shine a spotlight and take a stand on an issue they prioritize. I think these people are crazy. Corporations want all the money. But Who knows with these companies. Nobody really knows why the do what they do. Andrea Rene falls in the former category on this issue. "I just don't understand why MS had to take this stance right now. Distancing themselves from notch. Notch doesn't give a fuck. It seems like just PR talk" she thinks MS is being disingenuous. There are folks who share this sentiment with their adaptive controller commercial. On Weapon wheel podcast back after the superbw a few host said "MS is spending Super Bowl money trying to come off as the game company that cares about the gamer when 5 years prior they were trying to fuck the gamer over with their Xbone features" some people really don't believe these companies really give a fuck about the little guy and statements like this "are only to protect the bottom line" Andrea says this.

Andreas issue with Notch is she thinks MS is being disingenuous. She says she "doesn't give a fuck about notch". I've been listening to the podcast and watching the video on repeat since I stepped foot in this thread. If anyone wants to do the leg work to counter me go ahead. But that's what I see.

I don't share her stance on "corporations gonna do whatever for that goodwill dollar!" Approach. But that is her approach here from what I can see. Will tackle her Pewdiepie comments tomorrow.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
At least show up with your real account, fucking coward.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the both of these people, never liked KindaFunny but used to listen to Greg at times on IGN

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
After watching the video, Greg Miller comes across as someone who doesn't have the spine to speak up when the situation warrants it. You can pretty clearly see him progressively steer the conversation into a safe space for both of them when even the slightest hint of controversy or disagreement arises. Andrea Rene, on the other hand, comes across as catastrophically dumb. Like, how do you even manage to tie your fucking shoelaces in the morning dumb. Be more courageous and less abjectly stupid video game media. We've been asking for that for the better part of the last decade.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Huh, I'm in the Netherlands and they changed that name a couple of years ago now. Assuming we're talking about the same thing.
Just looked it up, and apparently that stuff was on packaging at one point, lol. Crazy. I just thought it was a colloquial thing around here. Whenever we bought it, we always bought the "mello-cakes" from Milka, so those were never officially named that.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well this Andrea seems to be a perfect replacement for Colin Moriarty then, and Greg still is riding the Boogie fence. That's so disappointing, I honestly expected more of him these days.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Why do something so drastic when you can just handle the problem whenever it arises?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey if your response to a pretty even-handed statement of "we don't want this person interacting with our community for [insert reason]" is to spin it up for a lame complaint about corporate PR you should maybe just shut the fuck up.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

But again, that didn't ring true to you. I'm sorry.

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry.
Greg
Okay so first of all, this post is more like it.

I don't have any major comments right now, but I would like to hear your opinion on some of the comments by Andrea. For example, saying that absolutely vile shit Notch and PDP says is "wacky", or "taken out of context" is totally outrageous and does effectively act as handwaving of completely offensive, dangerous ideals.

Also, I really cannot stand this stance of excusing things as "mistakes". If I focus on PDP for now. Ignoring that most normal people wouldn't say shit like him as a mistake to begin with, at what point do they stop being mistakes and start just being what he believes? He has "apologized" repeatedly but then quickly does the same shit. He's been doing this for literally years at this point. His actions also make more sense considering all the alt-right people he follows, and the fact that he cites literal nazis among his favourite authors.

I put "apologized" in quotes because he has made his view on apologies very clear:

"Believe in the best in everybody" has its limits, and these two morons have long, long gone past that.

Last edited:

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Why do something so drastic when you can just handle the problem whenever it arises?

Generally I think prevention makes more sense than 'just dealing with it as it arises.' I dunno, do you like to clean up around your place, and prevent rats and roaches from coming in, or only start cleaning when you spot the first one?

but also I later pointed out actually there are some features that having an account makes worth having, even if you don't really post, but just use it to lurk, like ignoring users.

Which would be pretty crappy.

usagi704

Oct 27, 2017
Damn... I fully understand the "Fuck Notch" comment going around in this thread. He is despicable to the tip of his bones. I've seen the things he shares on Twitter and I can't understand how someone can sincerely think like that. Although, I seem to be missing the reason behind the hate for Pewdiepie. :(

I know he did and said some stupid and despicable things in the past, but... he sincerely apologized for them. Every. Single. Time. He doesn't support bigotry or any message of hate (unless you are referring to his "fight" with T-Series) as far as we know. He acts as a dumbass sometimes, but that doesn't make up for his random wild behaviour. Even after the last shooting, we can see that it affects PewDiePie that certain people use his name for their violent behaviour. To me, it is clear that he doesn't approve of them. Did I miss something? Help ERA!! :(
PDP was only ever sincerely sorry for being caught and never for what he did or said.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just read that whole transcript on the previous page and I didn't see anything to get mad about. Maybe I missed it. Andrea is right that Notch has shown no interest in being involved in Minecraft for a while now, so he probably wouldn't be involved in an anniversary event even if he was invited. It's a non story.

Transcript didn't have the PDP stuff so maybe that's where the real damage is? Anyone got a transcript for that?

Edit: on a re-read I see the "wacky" comment which is a bit shit although in context I would give Andrea the benefit of the doubt. Immediately afterwords they call his tweets out as transphobic etc.

Last edited:

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes. I was following Greg on Twitter some time ago because he seemed funny, and afair one day someone linked the video below in the comments:

Unfollowed him after that. Couldn't stand seeing his always-smiling face knowing that he believes ignorant shit like that.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
Yikes. I was following Greg on Twitter some time ago because he seemed funny, and afair one day someone linked the video below in the comments:

Unfollowed him after that. Couldn't stand seeing his always-smiling face knowing that he believes ignorant shit like that.

Whoa, wasn't expecting that. Granted he may have changed his view on that, but that's just extremely dumb.

Last edited:

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Not surprised of someone who's best friend used to be Colin Moriarty. And who gets surprised by white people excusing other white people for being racist, like seriously...

Btw, Andrea comes as an apologists for all the worst kind of people, and she sounds like an idiot.

Last edited:

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Hey if your response to a pretty even-handed statement of "we don't want this person interacting with our community for [insert reason]" is to spin it up for a lame complaint about corporate PR you should maybe just shut the fuck up.
I agree. I do. She picked the wrong hill to die on. But that's the hill she chose. She chose the "corporations are so fake!" Stance not the "Notch is okay with me!" Stance and a lot of people here have decided she took the latter stance. Thats for her to defend if she so chooses. They are both stances I don't believe in.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I hope Greg doesn't believe this anymore. This is fucking idiotic.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Just read that whole transcript on the previous page and I didn't see anything to get mad about. Maybe I missed it. Andrea is right that Notch has shown no interest in being involved in Minecraft for a while now, so he probably wouldn't be involved in an anniversary event even if he was invited. It's a non story.

Transcript didn't have the PDP stuff so maybe that's where the real damage is? Anyone got a transcript for that?

Edit: on a re-read I see the "wacky" comment which is a bit shit although in context I would give Andrea the benefit of the doubt. Immediately afterwords they call his tweets out as transphobic etc.
That's my take. She has a "why the fuck is this news worthy....MS yall so fake/dramatic..." but some are taking it as she is in support of Notch and she clearly says fuck that guy and companies have the right to distance themselves but MS doing it for all the wrong reasons and we shouldn't even be acknowledging this guy or this story altogether.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
A: because theres not enough brands I think that take a stand because theyre afraid-

G: everyone wants to be wishy washy-everyone wants to try and be as mainstream as possible and not take stands

A: yeah they don't want to rock the boat or upset business as the bottom line right?

G: right

A: but I don't think that their statements are particularly controversial, like oh cool youre not inviting notch. Alright?

G: but but its controversial

A; no greg Im not letting (inaudible)

G: (sarcastically) don't you understand how the internet works now? Us vs them, right vs left, sjws vs, bad people? I don't know what the other of that one is

A: alt right

G: oh yeah alt right but that's how its gotta be everybodys gotta be mad about something andrea

A: ok Im not gonna get mad today tho greg

The first half of this part is so rich in irony that it's almost like they're mocking themselves.

The second half is the most white privilege Boogie bullshit.

Nov 14, 2017
You don't believe people can hijack a movement/narrative for personal PR gain? Do you know what happened to Aziz Ansari during #metoo ? I think she is accusing MS of the same thing. Joining the tolerance movement that corporations have turned into a marketing/PR strategy this past year. Gillette, Nike, Disney come to mind. She's questioning if a corporation like MS really cares about Notch's views and opinions on a moral level, but if they only care on a business level. Have they taken the time to put out PR condemning him before? Are they doing it now not because they earnestly disagree with his comments or was it PR to protect the narrative of their 10 year event? Did they release this statement for goodwill or to protect their brand($$$)? She explicitly says this. For example isn't it obvious Disney didn't have a problem with Gunn? They only distanced themselves to protect the brand? And once the controversy blew over/ it was in the best interest to bring him back($$$) they did so despite having condemned him in the past? Are we letting these corporations take us for a ride when they "distance" themselves from certain people? I think that's her stance. She is calling BS on MS, and she is saying they are high jacking the issue with Notch to protect the brand and the image of an upcoming event. Not because they actually have a problem with what he said.

Now let's be clear, that's quite a take. And I don't agree with her 100% because I also believe companies are taking Ls by taking a stand because bigots/ racist then decide to not give them their dollars. I've heard some say that my stance is wrong though and that it is a net positive because bigotry, while vocal, is the objective minority and non bigots who didn't have any interest in your product now do take interest in your product when you shine a spotlight and take a stand on an issue they prioritize. I think these people are crazy. Corporations want all the money. But Who knows with these companies. Nobody really knows why the do what they do. Andrea Rene falls in the former category on this issue. "I just don't understand why MS had to take this stance right now. Distancing themselves from notch. Notch doesn't give a fuck. It seems like just PR talk" she thinks MS is being disingenuous. There are folks who share this sentiment with their adaptive controller commercial. On Weapon wheel podcast back after the superbw a few host said "MS is spending Super Bowl money trying to come off as the game company that cares about the gamer when 5 years prior they were trying to fuck the gamer over with their Xbone features" some people really don't believe these companies really give a fuck about the little guy and statements like this "are only to protect the bottom line" Andrea says this.

Andreas issue with Notch is she thinks MS is being disingenuous. She says she "doesn't give a fuck about notch". I've been listening to the podcast and watching the video on repeat since I stepped foot in this thread. If anyone wants to do the leg work to counter me go ahead. But that's what I see.

I don't share her stance on "corporations gonna do whatever for that goodwill dollar!" Approach. But that is her approach here from what I can see. Will tackle her Pewdiepie comments tomorrow.
I read the transcript, and it seems like she's framing her 'doesn't give a fuck about Notch' with a disingenuous 'both sides' take. Like, the end of the transcript is literally her doing both sides left v right, SJW v alt-right. It's the whole framing that I think people find upsetting.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
A: because theres not enough brands I think that take a stand because theyre afraid-

G: everyone wants to be wishy washy-everyone wants to try and be as mainstream as possible and not take stands

A: yeah they don't want to rock the boat or upset business as the bottom line right?

G: right

A: but I don't think that their statements are particularly controversial, like oh cool youre not inviting notch. Alright?

G: but but its controversial

A; no greg Im not letting (inaudible)

G: (sarcastically) don't you understand how the internet works now? Us vs them, right vs left, sjws vs, bad people? I don't know what the other of that one is

A: alt right

G: oh yeah alt right but that's how its gotta be everybodys gotta be mad about something andrea

A: ok Im not gonna get mad today tho greg

The first half of this part is so rich in irony that it's almost like they're mocking themselves.

The second half is the most white privilege Boogie bullshit.
But right before all this handwaiving she vehemently condemned Notch. This part right here is bad. It was Greg trying to steer the conversation with the worst possible choice of words. Andrea said she ain't gonna get mad tho but she was referring to MS taking a "stance" not that she supports Notch. But now idk. Cuz I just checked Twitter.....she follows his ass......so I may be giving the benefit of the doubt to the wrong person here.

Shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.