• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who listens to Greg or sees him every now and then, I don't get the impression at all that he does or would condone or even handwave racist or bigoted behavior. He seems very, very much NOT that person. He's typically thoughtful in how he responds to these situations, and always willing to learn. I can't help but feel things have been taken somewhat out of context here or at least misinterpreted. I don't quite know as much about Andrea, I've only listened to her speak a few times on various podcasts.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I just looked at the last month, seems pretty normal?

Am I missing the part where calling another member a psychopath because of off site content is ok?
Yes, but you see Bob occassionally dunks on someone who pays people to stalk him on social media and insinuates that Bob is going to murder him because Bob is the crazy one, not delicate flag boy.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I just looked at the last month, seems pretty normal?

Am I missing the part where calling another member a psychopath because of off site content is ok?
Idk, you can cry about it if you want I guess. There's already been so much stuff brought from offsite into this thread, including from the person you're defending. Seems like it might be a hard case to make, unless you're a giant hypocrite.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
I had a glance but couldn't find anything bad; mostly it seemed to be cartoons and retweets of stuff I liked and found funny.
He's mostly cooled it recently. But for a long time he basically had multiple daily posts taking screenshots of tweets from people who had blocked him (meaning he was logging out just go searching for the stuff) just to "dunk" on them for the publicity. It was a bit much.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Greg has generally preached positivity through his platform and given that I will say that he needed to do a much better job before talking about a highly charged subject that deserves ample research with little understanding on the ramifications.

However, at the same time, "positivity" can be an overarching and a nebulous sentiment that can be preached by everyone without providing actual solutions to on-going and deeply rooted specific issues that plagues gaming and life in general is some cases. Given KFG has had a tendency to, as another member so aptly put, "pussyfoot" around these specific sensitive topic, Greg and especially, especially, the co-host could have done up to date research on these people, given they are part of the industry that KFG covers.

I shall once again remind people of my earlier post:

In essence then, KF's sociopolitical position is based on what its hosts assume would not ruffle the feathers of its patrons. Given their hosts' stance Anthem, THQ Nordic and now Notch and PDP issues, as well as utilizing "SJW" unironically, it is a reasonable assumption to make that KF views its economic support base as part corporate and mostly center-right and right leaning.

This proves yet again, that gamer culture is vocal toxic trash.

I think it would go a very long way if people did not seek to elevate internet celebrities to hero status with moral backbone, showering them with "Yass queen", "slay queen", "based...".

When the continued survival of someone's fame, relevance and livelihood is perennially reliant on the patronage of many, including those who are toxic, remember to treat him/her/them as a politician.

Folks like ContraPoints and Hbomberguy are in this regard completely different because unlike the KFG, they have made their sociopolitical position abundantly clear and so the people who financially support them know exactly what type of folks they are supporting.

It should behoove EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU to remember, that the gaming industry likes and supports people who can draw in viewers regardless of their position in politics, regardless of how morally vacuous they are. Case in point was Boogie's involvement with E3 last year; a man who publicly stated that people like Anita Sarkeesian are the reason why someone got killed in Charlottesville and that the matter of homosexual marriage should have been something that ought to have been legalized decades from now.

It is or it should be an absolute farce to believe that those who discuss personalities like Boogie, PDP, Notch et al, without doing adequate research and assigning milquetoast adjectives and adverbs to them and to their actions, respectively, is morally acceptable. I think it would be much easier to accept the reality of things when you view those who fund them, those they associate with at conventions and the industry they serve.

KFG is NOT an ALLY of the marginalized. KFG has no position on Corporate Ethics. KFG has no political affiliation or position. KFG is a corporate entity whose survival is dependent on being a fair-weather friend to people who play games; as many of them as possible.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Greg has generally preached positivity through his platform and given that I will say that he needed to do a much better job before talking about a highly charged subject that deserves ample research with little understanding on the ramifications.

However, at the same time, "positivity" can be an overarching and a nebulous sentiment that can preached by everyone without providing actual solutions to on-going and deeply rooted specific issues that plagues gaming and life in general is some cases. Given KFG has had a tendency to, as another member so aptly put, "pussyfoot" around these specific sensitive topic, Greg and especially, especially, the co-host could have done up to date research on these people, given they are part of the industry that KFG covers.

I shall once again remind people of my earlier post:

Folks like ContraPoints and Hbomberguy are in this regard completely different because unlike the KFG, they have made their sociopolitical position abundantly clear and so the people who financially support them know exactly what type of folks they are supporting.

It should behoove EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU to remember, that the gaming industry likes and supports people who can draw in viewers regardless of their position in politics, regardless of how morally vacuous they are. Case in point was Boogie's involvement with E3 last year; a man who publicly stated that people like Anita Sarkeesian are the reason why someone got killed in Charlottesville and that the matter of homosexual marriage should have been something that ought to have been legalized decades from now.

It is or it should be an absolute farce to believe that those who discuss personalities like Boogie, PDP, Notch et al, without doing adequate research and assigning milquetoast adjectives and adverbs to them and to their actions, respectively, is morally acceptable. I think it would be much easier to accept when you view those who fund them, those they associate with at conventions and the industry they serve.

KFG is NOT an ALLY of the marginalized. KFG has no position on Corporate Ethics. KFG has no political affiliation or position. KFG is a corporate entity whose survival is dependent on being a fair-weather friend to people who play games; as many of them as possible.

Wonderful post, hopefully it can give some gamers here some perspective on this metter.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He's mostly cooled it recently. But for a long time he basically had multiple daily posts taking screenshots of tweets from people who had blocked him (meaning he was logging out just go searching for the stuff) just to "dunk" on them for the publicity. It was a bit much.
Colin Moriarty blocked anyone that even mildly disagreed with him on Twitter. Bob did people a service by taking the hit and posting screencaps of Colin's worst takes.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know bobs still playing the victim card. I find it so interesting how bothered you were about Greg calling you out, when you go out of your way to search out and screenshot Colin's tweets (even after he blocked you) just to get the publicity. You have no right to mockingly call someone else a "cool guy. "

So Greg isn't allowed to do to you exactly what you do to others, just because he has a bigger twitter following? And of course your ignore the part of his tweet where he's being critical of the hateful internet mob.

Fucking knew you were a Colin fan by your previous shitposts but this just confirmed it.

Snek boi still has shooters out here, wild.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The irony is that this thread is 90% people having a go and some podcasters who are essentially well meaning but failed to caveat everything with "BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES HASHTAG CANCELLED".

It's s classic "internet angry person" play. The whole "fuck these people for not condemning things I don't like" nonsense of those who can't bear to acknowledge people think differently from them when it states them in the face.
Yikes

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
This oozes white privilege.
Its easy to see these as people, Notch and PDP, as nice guys who just sometimes happened to say something that the internet took the wrong way, thats easy if you have never experienced racism and discrimination as a minority and never even once considered that your own perspective might not be suited to get an accurate view on every topic.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't tread on my precious funny video game internet people, you blood thirsty cannibals!!!!!!

Sarcasm. What a sad defense force.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know bobs still playing the victim card. I find it so interesting how bothered you were about Greg calling you out, when you go out of your way to search out and screenshot Colin's tweets (even after he blocked you) just to get the publicity. You have no right to mockingly call someone else a "cool guy. "

So Greg isn't allowed to do to you exactly what you do to others, just because he has a bigger twitter following? And of course your ignore the part of his tweet where he's being critical of the hateful internet mob.
Yeah, Bob screenshots and mocks snek boy's tweets because he knows his followers aren't going to dogpile Colin unlike what Colin's followers frequently do with everyone else. Big deal.

He just uses incognito mode to look at snek boy's tweets. You act like he's surveying everyone who blocks him.

And lol 'It was a bit much.' We both know you don't follow him don't act like you care about what he tweets.

I'm not even a Kinda Funny fan anymore but Bob showed up in past threads a lot.
I mean I wish Bob well and I don't have an issue with him, but his behavior is very petty.
Bob has never shown up in a Kinda Funny thread, look through his post history and show us his 'very petty behavior'.

Last edited:

Dimmle

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between Colin and Bob's conduct on Twitter is that only one of them can be described as kinda funny.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Bob has never shown up in a Kinda Funny thread, look through his post history and show us his 'petty behavior'.

I didn't say Era. I know he showed up in the previous forum for sure. Era is but a little over a year old and this personal infighting goes way back. Sorry but I'm not going to give Gaf clicks just to prove a point. I know he showed up in the Kinda Funny subreddit as well.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine coming into this thread of all threads, seeing Bob Mackey is posting, and immediately think, "I must defend snek boi's honor!!!!1"

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad how quickly you guys start devouring one of your own. Greg might not have navigated that linguistic minefield in the optimal path or the way you would have liked him to, but he is indisputably still an ally/ the kind of person we need more of in the gaming community, not less.

I'm legit curious though how he feels about the death penalty six years after he gave his thoughts initially.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say Era. I know he showed up in the previous forum for sure. Era is but a little over a year old and this personal infighting goes way back. Sorry but I'm not going to give Gaf clicks just to prove a point. I know he showed up in the Kinda Funny subreddit as well.
You are obsessed and your timeline proved it multiple times in the past.
So you don't have any receipts yet you say his timeline shows he's 'obsessed'?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The irony is that this thread is 90% people having a go and some podcasters who are essentially well meaning but failed to caveat everything with "BUT THESE PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES HASHTAG CANCELLED".

It's s classic "internet angry person" play. The whole "fuck these people for not condemning things I don't like" nonsense of those who can't bear to acknowledge people think differently from them when it states them in the face.
It's exactly because posts like this that Greg and Andrea need to adress this in near future. Take responsibility, own up to it and tell your audience that you failed in your messaging. Unless of course they think they didn't, which would be most unfortunate. I don't think they are assholes based on this and don't think they should be cancelled, but it was not a good and clear discussion. They need to tell their audience too that they don't need defending when they fuck up and they definitely shouldn't use messaging that gives an idea to their viewers that the antics and comments from Notch and PDP are just something people "don't like". They're hurtful and harmful.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think this happens too much because most of these podcasts are just way too racially homogenous. It's kind of ridiculous. But I believe in Greg Miller so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like all things considered the worst Miller did was not push back enough against the dumb shit Andrea Rene was saying pretty much the entire two segments. Can't believe it started with taking the Microsoft statement completely incorrectly, and that it only got worse from there.

The shows with Rene without someone ready to challenge her are pretty worthless, and this was basically the worst version that could've come of that.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This oozes white privilege.
Its easy to see these as people, Notch and PDP, as nice guys who just sometimes happened to say something that the internet took the wrong way, thats easy if you have never experienced racism and discrimination as a minority and never even once considered that your own perspective might not be suited to get an accurate view on every topic.

In Notch's case, that seems rather difficult.

In PDP's case...sure. Frankly, his behavior wouldn't even necessarily be uniquely horrible prior to the current age of mass interconnectedness and algorithms. Some rationalizations: he said the n-word? He definitely needs to do some soul searching, but perhaps it was the mistake of someone who's been in an environment (Sweden + gamer communities + whatever) that has been all too conducive toward the normalization of its usage, and he hasn't said it again. He paid people to make an anti-Semitic remark? Again, bad, but the capacity to joke that way relates more to a tradition of edginess in comedy than actual anti-Semitism.

...and so on and so on and so on.

Getting past the impulse (which so many have) to see everything he's done as a collection of forgivable jokes and mistakes requires doing two things: one, putting it in a larger context where you acknowledge he has a massive platform that very, very much exists adjacent to even worse actors; and two, consciously setting out exactly why all these things he's done are bad, and recognizing the pattern of corrosive behavior.

For example, that time he signal boosted a racist YouTube channel. What was so bad about that? He understandably didn't know, the channel "only" got something like 10,000 additional subscribers, and he apologized!

Well, the problem is that it once again showed how little responsibility he takes for his platform, 10,000 is a lot of additional subscribers for a racist channel, the racism is pretty easy to find, and his "apology" constituted him namedropping the channel a million times while dismissing everyone who tried to hold him accountable by engaging with destructive anti-media tropes.

I get someone having an unsettled opinion of PDP. But this is where Greg's desire to be amiable to basically everyone becomes counterproductive: sometimes sorting through all the noise and keeping your eye on the ball requires a critical eye. I don't think it's bad to be a generally forgiving person or to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it becomes bad when it results in you turning a blind eye to something very bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.