• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I like them both but I'm not surprised at this.

As mentioned Greg will often admit to knowing he isn't as well formed on a topic as he'd like to be. Maybe he should do a little more research before talking about big topics, but I understand he's very busy.

Andrea seams to always give benefit of the doubt to publishers doing shitty things: loot boxes, working conditions, you name it.

I don't think either of them are racist/sexist/homophobic, etc. but being in the public eye almost everyday of the week, they need to take more care over what they say.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
He did say he now understands the meaning of gay pride better, like immediately after.
I've been looking online but his statements confuse me and this one seems ok to me (?)

"I have no idea what it's like of course, but it's inspiring as hell when people open up and choose to actually be who they know themselves as."

What else did he say that marked him as a nazi?

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/504497-minecraft-notch-qanon-donald-trump

ph422f3qup221.png

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it. They both came off as not being totally set into the situation but tried to go the middle route.

I can see someone who is very much read up on the matter taking this more severely in comparison, which is fine and natural.
1) what the hell is the "middle route"
2) if a "middle route" exists, do you actually find it acceptable for anyone to take it?

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Bigotry Over a Series of Posts; History of Severe Infractions
As an European Black man: Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. If Europeans do not know the connotation of that word, how come that there are European versions of it?
How come that Europeans, who at one point owned all of Africa, don't know the connotation behind a word that originated from slavery?

What a bullshit excuse

Not to defend, but to add some context - In Sweden (and scandinavia for that matter) it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that older generations outright use the n-word in their local language to describe someone of colour. It doesn't have the same social stigma I guess. I mean we have both pastries with the n-word in its name and a icecream with a o instead of an i in the name for example.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Not to defend, but to add some context - In Sweden (and scandinavia for that matter) it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that older generations outright use the n-word in their local language to describe someone of colour. It doesn't have the same social stigma I guess. I mean we have both pastries with the n-word in its name and a icecream with a o instead of an i in the name for example.
JFC

element

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious that Andrea tries to promote this narrative that PDP is some basement content creator going against this huge record/entertainment company. Sorry, but PDP had been making on the conservative side $5 million a year for the past five years, honestly probably closer to $10m. He isn't going to Best Buy to buy a webcam and a Yeti mic to start up a YT channel. This idea of "corp win" is comical because PDP is that, a corporation.

The other part that bugs me is this "he is from Sweden. Maybe he just doesn't know". It appears he has been living in Brighton since 2013.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

How long has Pewdiepie lived in Britain, a country where using the word in a pub would get you flattened, again?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And would you call someone "A fucking "N-Word" when they make you angry? Not to mention PDP has been internationally popular for years and currently lives in the Britain.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You can be a moderate (I don't like the term "centrist" since it's often aligned with idiots) without being morally bankrupt and while still understanding social politics. I've voted Green Party, for example, in every provincial and federal election for the last ten years—even though I'm constantly reminded by others that I'm throwing away my vote. Still, I believe the Earth is the only candidate who really needs our support. I also went to the Women's rally here in Toronto, and subsequent rallies, back when Trumpkins came to power (and was interviewed on the news, actually!). As a queer male married to a Métis amputee, I frequently speak and write about gender, perceptions of beauty and representation issues in the media, too.

Overall, however, I would like a society that isn't so polarized, though I'm not so ignorant as to become an apologist or to bury my head in the sand and pretend it isn't polarized. So you can be a moderate at heart without being culturally clueless or ineffective or lacking in contributions to social progress.

It's just that most of these recent examples of hand-wavers aren't that.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he knows what that fucking word means

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
These two have spent their entire careers being mediocre corporate stooges so to think they can approach this subject in the slightest is just el oh el.

Oct 27, 2017
1) what the hell is the "middle route"
2) if a "middle route" exists, do you actually find it acceptable for anyone to take it?

I don't accept it if one brings up the topic. One better be ready to take a stance. Did that answer your question? I can give a more expanded amswer later if you want, bus to work is coming to end station soon!

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I see threads like this, I'm reminded of Vocal Anime Fan Somehow Least Toxic YouTuber, where a fanbase that's almost universally regarded as being "pretty shit" is found to have at least one surprisingly great, vocal individual among them.

Notch is not one of those people.

It's amazing what lengths the games industry will go to evangelize shitty people. This isn't too dissimilar from the TotalBiscuit stuff with SC2, celebrating the memory of bullies who incited and enabled violence through disingenuous rhetoric.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
What is she trying to accomplish by saying his tweets were taken out of context?

Bonus question, do you agree with her that his tweets were taken out of context?
No because I don't know the tweets. I think we are all assuming she is taking a stand supporting notch with this comment but completely ignoring when she say. He deserves to be criticized by MS. That she doesn't care for him. That if you say dumb shit on the internet that's what happens. I think her comment on MS doing this as a PR stunt when she claims "notch has personally and publicly distanced himself from Minecraft" and it is more probable that he never intended to attend the event than he did plan on attending and MS turned him down because of his tweets. She claims the guy is a full on antagonizer on twitter and he relishes in it. For MS to come out and say "hey!!! He's not invited to the party!" Seems a bit unnecessary when he probably never intended to go. Yes maybe people from the Minecraft crowd probably asked, but she goes on to say "most kids playing Minecraft don't even know who he is" it was probably a very small minority inquiring on his presence at the event, if any at all. She is criticizing MS for making this a news story when the ass hat clearly wasn't going to go going off his stance on MS in the past. She thinks it was a PR stunt.

That was my analysis on the Notch comments she gave. The PDP comments are another issue. I'll give it a listen tomorrow it's 3 am.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see threads like this, I'm reminded of Vocal Anime Fan Somehow Least Toxic YouTuber, where a fanbase that's almost universally regarded as being "pretty shit" is found to have at least one surprisingly great, vocal individual among them.

Notch is not one of those people.

It's amazing what lengths the games industry will go to evangelize shitty people. This isn't too dissimilar from the TotalBiscuit stuff with SC2, celebrating the memory of bullies who incited and enabled violence through disingenuous rhetoric.
ProZD rules

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
To give Greg Miller a little credit, he seemed mostly on the ball talking about Notch and fully understanding what a bloated cumrag Notch is before he starts getting pulled into some vaguely centrist 'left vs right let's stop being angry" cornballer nonsense. Where he immediately shits the room is when the discussion pivots to pewdiepie and the kids gloves come out.

Andrea Rene, on the other hand, 100% has full on brain worms. Complete dumbass.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Over here in Belgium, we also have a "pastry", if you can call it that, with the n-word in it. It's still racist though, and not entirely without malice. It basically a different name for mellowcakes.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Hey Greg, in your next podcast, ask Andrea what are people taking out of context and explain the context of Notch's tweet's. Surely she'll have time to research them and not have an excuse of being "uninformed".

Last edited:

DonTheWise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory False Equivalences; Account in Junior Phase
Some awful things being said about the KindaFunny crew, Notch and PDP.
You can't come on and say how annoyed you are at these people for saying words that hurt feelings, and then decide to call them horrible names and insults about how talentless they are.
If you don't like people being bullied, don't bully others just because they don't agree with you.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I kinds do agree on the PDP bit, at least theres an apology and he did stop the sub to pdp stuff as well, so at least theres something, not ideal sure, but something at the least

Notch though, whew that's some take from them tbh, I cant agree on that at all

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
No because I don't know the tweets. I think we are all assuming she is taking a stand supporting notch with this comment but completely ignoring when she say. He deserves to be criticized by MS. That she doesn't care for him. That if you say dumb shit on the internet that's what happens. I think her comment on MS doing this as a PR stunt when she claims "notch has personally and publicly distanced himself from Minecraft" and it is more probable that he never intended to attend the event than he did plan on attending and MS turned him down because of his tweets. She claims the guy is a full on antagonizer on twitter and he relishes in it. For MS to come out and say "hey!!! He's not invited to the party!" Seems a bit unnecessary when he probably never intended to go. Yes maybe people from the Minecraft crowd probably asked, but she goes on to say "most kids playing Minecraft don't even know who he is" it was probably a very small minority inquiring on his presence at the event, if any at all. She is criticizing MS for making this a news story when the ass hat clearly wasn't going to go going off his stance on MS in the past. She thinks it was a PR stunt.
Doesn't it bother you how ridiculous this all sounds?

MS put out a statement that they don't want a known shitwad at their Anniversary event. How is this deserving of criticism?

You can't come on and say how annoyed you are at these people for saying words that hurt feelings, and then decide to call them horrible names and insults about how talentless they are.
If you don't like people being bullied, don't bully others just because they don't agree with you.
LOL

What a joke.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
There is social stigma with using the N-word in Sweden, just cause old people (55+ that I've known) can throw it around doesn't mean there's no stigma.
The chocolate balls have not been called the N-word for a very long time in common speech. at least I've not heard it other than edge-lords or people deriding PC-culture and saying how they can't "use" it anymore.

Nogger has NOTHING to do with the N-word, it's a Nougat-based ice-cream. You're thinking of Nogger Black which came out later and is a Nougat filling with liqourice coating? Still nothing to do with the N-word.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not today satan

Transcription of the Notch conversation (first part)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So i transcribed the first part of the conversation about notch. Its late so I'll do the second half tomorrow but I really dont want people trying to act like this wasnt a soft defense for notch here.

5:23

G"number one on the report, Notch is not invited to the Minecraft anniversary. This is from Brian Chris Shantay over at variety who writes "Minecraft creator Markus notch"-is that a person that's a person right? –"who sold the title to Microsoft for 2.5 billions dollars in 2014 wont be part 0f the 10 year anniversary plans for the game because of his quote "comments and opinions" Microsoft tell variety. Quote "his comments and opinions do not reflect those of Microsoft or mo yang and are not representative of Minecraft" a Microsoft spokesperson told variety. A spokesperson also noted that knotch hasn't been involved with Minecraft since he sold the studio and rights to the game in 2014.

Notch, once an involved member of the video game development community has increasingly ostracized himself with his Twitter comments including transphobic statements and comments about heterosexual pride day and that quote "its ok to be white". Notch has about 3.7 million followers on Twitter. Uhhmmm Andrea how do you feel about this?

A: This is not shocking at all

G: No

A: quite frankly I don't know why its news. He hasn't been involved in Minecraft since he sold it right?

G Well this is because theyre doing this anniversary thing right? This anniversary celebration right? That is some event that's gonna have, talk about the past present and future of Minecraft. I think THAT'S where it comes down to maybe uh and that's something that maybe everyones missed out on, everyones reporting on this now it was Christian at variety had an exclusive to being with. I think that that's where it stems from the fact that, cool, so the creator of it isn't involved with this 10 year celebration right and is that ok? Is that the way it should be and how does that go? And obviously youre Microsoft you own it, how do you want the brand to be recognized?

A: its certainly not the way it should be, it should be that notch was continuing to stay invested in his community and the thing that built his wealth to what it is and that he would appreciate the amazing support that players all over the world have given support to the thing that he created with you know the team at muang but that's just not the way he has been.

G: Sure

A: and so I think its not surprising that this is the way it is, its just disappointing and a little bit sad and what in one sense but should he be involved or like does he need to be? Absolutely not cur I think that individual creators and players of Minecraft, the millions of millions of people around the world have been paying for a decade or whatever

G: yeah

A: Have really embodied what Minecraft is and its not just on notch. Obviously he will always forever hold a place in minecrafts history but

G: yeah he shouldn't ever be erased from the record books right?

A: no of course not, never. I'm not suggesting that at all

G:oh no I wasn't saying that you were

A: but I'm just saying you can have a ten year anniversary celebration without him if he is willfully choosing to not partake. Its just a bummer you know?

G: Sure. And so you say hes willfully-hes participating not to or hes choosing not to be apart of it because of the way hes acting online

A: I imagine that he just doesn't want to be, he just doesn't want to be there-

G: well no this is

A: he doesn't do public speaking engagements, he doesn't do like autograph sessions, he doesn't do con appearances or panels or literally anything he stays out of the public spotlight

G: sure but I think the story here is Microsfots not letting, wont even have him. That's whats happening right? Is that, my

A: hmm

G: let me reread it right? But uh "notch wont be part of the 10 year Minecraft anniversary celebration plans for the game because-

A: is that what youre getting from that statement?

G: yeah because of his comments and opinions quote "his comments and opinions do not reflect those of Microsoft and moyang and are not representative of Minecraft.

A: so you think the story here is theyre actively saying

G: the story here is saying Minecraft is saying youre not allowed, were not inviting him hes not part of this

A: hmm I don't know

G: similar to how they made headlines a couple weeks ago maybe a couple months ago but now where one of the loading screens got updated to take out a reference to him because they always have the funny little things when you load up Minecraft

A: I don't know if that's a fair extrapolation to make

G: really?

A; I don't because MS is a gigantic global corporation it in their legal interests to say that they don't, their individual creators comments opinions don't reflect that of the company at large

G: sure

A: I don't know if that is equal to them saying we don't want you here

G: hmm I would I-

A; I would honestly be pretty surprised if notch had expressed an interest in wanting to be involved and MS said no thanks. That to me would be disappointing on Microsofts part.

G: ok. Because yeah what im getting from this is is, the lead from, Brendan Sinclair over at games industry dot biz, MS is continuing to distance themselves from notch the minecrafter creator who sold the franchise yadda yadda-variety has received confirmation from MS that it wont involve at a moyang event in May intended to mark the game's 10th anniversary. So if Im reverse engineering this correctly, the way I see it is the thing got announced the 10th anniversary, Brian reached out to them and was like I didn't see notch on this and theyre like were not working with notch, we wont- his comments and opinions do not reflect Microsoft of Minecraft

A; Its pr speak I wish they would just

G: well sure it says hes a loose cannon who says all this crazy fucking shit

A: I wish they would just come out and say we will no longer be working with notch instead of this pr speak of "his comments and opinions do not reflect those of MS. Obviously they don't they make that disclaimer for anyone that speaks on behalf of MS (laughs)

A: unless theyre intentionally a representative of MS from the communications team right?

G: right well I think they go out of their in the Cresente piece to say that again right? " the spokesperson also said that notch hasn't been involved with Minecraft since he sold the studio and the right to the game in 2014.

A: yeah that's true

G; I think that's what it is just coming back to is that it, MS is very clear Notch is not part of this and in this point its doing that as well. Its just weird this time around that because it is hey it's the 10th anniversary youre doing this event celebrating the past of it

A: mhmm

G: are you going to have their creator there? No were not because he says weird ass horrible mean shit on twitter all the time

A:its yeah lets just take it back not to say that that's not true cause he does say some really wacky stuff. I think that it still comes down to notch putting, drawing the line in the sane a long time ago, years ago, saying I just don't want to be involved with them anymore. Hes said as much publicly that hes like Im done with Minecraft, so.

G: sure. Interesting

A: I guess that it makes MS look good if theyre like "yeah we don't want to be involved with him anymore"

A: its like the whole thing just feels like drama

G: well I feel like just because he got approached right?

A: insert my drama gif here laughs

G: well im sure MS would prefer not to have any reason-

A: yeah

G: to talk about this. Im sure cresescentin looking at this and going " wait 10th anniversary is notch gonna be there?

A: and well and now were talking about it (laughs)

G: and well that's the thing though right that's how the video game news right yeah exactly. Don't get me wrong-

A: we don't get enough hot gossip Greg

G: MS was definitely prepared for this question and

A: of course they are

G: and here they are taking a stance-his comments and opinion do not reflect those in-I mean that is them saying his transphobic homophobic bullshit that he said before itsnt going to be tolerated for us

A: good

G: and that is starting the conversation again tho of and-I haven't even seen this take but Im sure this take exists which is that right, like how does that work and I think that is the company MS is trying to build for the gaming community, most of us are trying to build, that makes sense. That yeah you know freedom of speech whatever youre allowed to go say whatever fucking

A: true

G: horrible shit you wanna say on the internet but theres gonna be ramifications and that's not how youre protected if that's how it happens right?

A; yeah you know Im with you 100% there, there should be ramifications for sure, I just don't think there are here because notch doesn't give a fuck (laughs)

G: sure that's what, yeah I know right? But

A: its like oh cool youre not inviting the guy who didn't want to go (laughs)

G: I wanna check if he actually said anything yet since these stories started popping

A; yeah worth looking it up for sure

G: nah doesn't look like it

A: but this is like yeah, sure, ok.

(both laugh)

G: youre just like yeah sure whatever?

A: MS is not inviting notch because he doesn't want to go and they don't want him there looks like everyones happy

G: Sure but I think its gonna be interesting is, yeah youre right whatever, everyones happy on it it I guess but

A: except for Brian Crescente, whose really upset (laughs)

G: Well you kidding me hes in love with this? Crescente right now, everyone talking about his article? That's what you want when you write these pieces. And when you get this thing that now everyone has to pick up and everyone has to come to him because they have to source and pay for it. Its just the question of, yeah, now that-youre right lets say that, you've said, notch doesn't like doing this shit to begin with you who fucking cares, but now that theyre like now were not inviting notch because hes a dick on twitter for all its, lets read between the lines right? Hes says horrible things

A: this is MS just trying to look good I guess? Idk? Take a stand? I think its important that large companies vocalize their tolerance or lack of tolerance for certain behaviors of people that are associated with their brand because

A: because theres not enough brands I think that take a stand because theyre afraid-

G: everyone wants to be wishy washy-everyone wants to try and be as mainstream as possible and not take stands

A: yeah they don't want to rock the boat or upset business as the bottom line right?

G: right

A: but I don't think that their statements are particularly controversial, like oh cool youre not inviting notch. Alright?

G: but but its controversial

A; no greg Im not letting (inaudible)

G: (sarcastically) don't you understand how the internet works now? Us vs them, right vs left, sjws vs, bad people? I don't know what the other of that one is

A: alt right

G: oh yeah alt right but that's how its gotta be everybodys gotta be mad about something andrea

A: ok Im not gonna get mad today tho greg

Ramble on game of thrones

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As an European Black man: Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. If Europeans do not know the connotation of that word, how come that there are European versions of it?
How come that Europeans, who at one point owned all of Africa, don't know the connotation behind a word that originated from slavery?

What a bullshit excuse

Absolute nonsense, right?

Europe, which remains just as if not more racist than the USA to this day. Who where the people who colonised Africa and started the trans-atlantic slave trade. From whom the term Negro, Nigger and other non-English variations derive from. Absolute nonsense. Of course Europeans know the connotation of the world, especially in the UK where PDP lives.

I echo your thoughts, friend. As a European Black man: Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post on your real account, you coward.

Nov 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory False Equivalences; Account in Junior Phase
It speaks to the Nature of discussion of Era that the Accused responds, but people ignore it mostly and just keep on piling on, having made up their opinion from the original post or even before having read it.

I also find it disturbing that so many people here have the heartfelt desire to protect and help minorities - which is an excellent impulse - but find it ok to strongly insult and curse at other forum members, in this case Greg.

It's not a good look and this sort of behavior is exactly what the right wing utilizes when they try to paint progressives as mostly crazy and eating their own.

Even if you strongly feel it's warranted to be rude to people you have identified as Nazis proper, it would be good if you could minimize the personal attacks on everyone else, even if they may have said something you think foolish or deeply flawed.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Probably scared to say something bad about a fellow YouTuber in case they ever get an opportunity to collab or some stupid shit. Kinda Funny must expand at all costs.
This is EXACTLY the problem with both Greg Milller and Andrea Rene. They won't bad mouth anyone or any company in case they work with them in some capacity at some point. This goes even further to the point that Greg won't dare correct Andrea when, imo , he clearly knows she's stepping out of line. She doesn't take criticism well and he can't afford to burn that bridge. While I was watching the vid it's like he was walking on eggshells to appease her .

Last edited:

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017

Pointing out people downplaying the comments of a racist shit bag = "bullying".

Amazing.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You mean acouple white people on Youtube will willingly cape for (or stay as deliberately uncritical of) some known worthless bigots because they put more stock in the power of that person's brand than the shitty discourse they consistently put out into the world? Weird... Who could've seen that coming?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nice try alt, have some courage and post on your main account

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So i transcribed the first part of the conversation about notch. Its late so I'll do the second half tomorrow but I really dont want people trying to act like this wasnt a soft defense for notch here.

5:23

G"number one on the report, Notch is not invited to the Minecraft anniversary. This is from Brian Chris Shantay over at variety who writes "Minecraft creator Markus notch"-is that a person that's a person right? –"who sold the title to Microsoft for 2.5 billions dollars in 2014 wont be part 0f the 10 year anniversary plans for the game because of his quote "comments and opinions" Microsoft tell variety. Quote "his comments and opinions do not reflect those of Microsoft or mo yang and are not representative of Minecraft" a Microsoft spokesperson told variety. A spokesperson also noted that knotch hasn't been involved with Minecraft since he sold the studio and rights to the game in 2014.

Notch, once an involved member of the video game development community has increasingly ostracized himself with his Twitter comments including transphobic statements and comments about heterosexual pride day and that quote "its ok to be white". Notch has about 3.7 million followers on Twitter. Uhhmmm Andrea how do you feel about this?

A: This is not shocking at all

G: No

A: quite frankly I don't know why its news. He hasn't been involved in Minecraft since he sold it right?

G Well this is because theyre doing this anniversary thing right? This anniversary celebration right? That is some event that's gonna have, talk about the past present and future of Minecraft. I think THAT'S where it comes down to maybe uh and that's something that maybe everyones missed out on, everyones reporting on this now it was Christian at variety had an exclusive to being with. I think that that's where it stems from the fact that, cool, so the creator of it isn't involved with this 10 year celebration right and is that ok? Is that the way it should be and how does that go? And obviously youre Microsoft you own it, how do you want the brand to be recognized?

A: its certainly not the way it should be, it should be that notch was continuing to stay invested in his community and the thing that built his wealth to what it is and that he would appreciate the amazing support that players all over the world have given support to the thing that he created with you know the team at muang but that's just not the way he has been.

A: and so I think its not surprising that this is the way it is, its just disappointing and a little bit sad and what in one sense but should he be involved or like does he need to be? Absolutely not cur I think that individual creators and players of Minecraft, the millions of millions of people around the world have been paying for a decade or whatever

G: yeah

A: Have really embodied what Minecraft is and its not just on notch. Obviously he will always forever hold a place in minecrafts history but

G: yeah he shouldn't ever be erased from the record books right?

A: no of course not, never. I'm not suggesting that at all

G:oh no I wasn't saying that you were

A: but I'm just saying you can have a ten year anniversary celebration without him if he is willfully choosing to not partake. Its just a bummer you know?

G: Sure. And so you say hes willfully-hes participating not to or hes choosing not to be apart of it because of the way hes acting online

A: I imagine that he just doesn't want to be, he just doesn't want to be there-

G: well no this is

A: he doesn't do public speaking engagements, he doesn't do like autograph sessions, he doesn't do con appearances or panels or literally anything he stays out of the public spotlight

G: sure but I think the story here is Microsfots not letting, wont even have him. That's whats happening right? Is that, my

A: hmm

G: let me reread it right? But uh "notch wont be part of the 10 year Minecraft anniversary celebration plans for the game because-

A: is that what youre getting from that statement?

G: yeah because of his comments and opinions quote "his comments and opinions do not reflect those of Microsoft and moyang and are not representative of Minecraft.

A: so you think the story here is theyre actively saying

G: the story here is saying Minecraft is saying youre not allowed, were not inviting him hes not part of this

A: hmm I don't know

G: similar to how they made headlines a couple weeks ago maybe a couple months ago but now where one of the loading screens got updated to take out a reference to him because they always have the funny little things when you load up Minecraft

A: I don't know if that's a fair extrapolation to make

G: really?

A; I don't because MS is a gigantic global corporation it in their legal interests to say that they don't, their individual creators comments opinions don't reflect that of the company at large

A: I don't know if that is equal to them saying we don't want you here

G: hmm I would I-

A; I would honestly be pretty surprised if notch had expressed an interest in wanting to be involved and MS said no thanks. That to me would be disappointing on Microsofts part.

G: ok. Because yeah what im getting from this is is, the lead from, Brendan Sinclair over at games industry dot biz, MS is continuing to distance themselves from notch the minecrafter creator who sold the franchise yadda yadda-variety has received confirmation from MS that it wont involve at a moyang event in May intended to mark the game's 10th anniversary. So if Im reverse engineering this correctly, the way I see it is the thing got announced the 10th anniversary, Brian reached out to them and was like I didn't see notch on this and theyre like were not working with notch, we wont- his comments and opinions do not reflect Microsoft of Minecraft

A; Its pr speak I wish they would just

G: well sure it says hes a loose cannon who says all this crazy fucking shit

A: I wish they would just come out and say we will no longer be working with notch instead of this pr speak of "his comments and opinions do not reflect those of MS. Obviously they don't they make that disclaimer for anyone that speaks on behalf of MS (laughs)

A: unless theyre intentionally a representative of MS from the communications team right?

G: right well I think they go out of their in the Cresente piece to say that again right? " the spokesperson also said that notch hasn't been involved with Minecraft since he sold the studio and the right to the game in 2014.

A: yeah that's true

G; I think that's what it is just coming back to is that it, MS is very clear Notch is not part of this and in this point its doing that as well. Its just weird this time around that because it is hey it's the 10th anniversary youre doing this event celebrating the past of it

A: mhmm

G: are you going to have their creator there? No were not because he says weird ass horrible mean shit on twitter all the time

A:its yeah lets just take it back not to say that that's not true cause he does say some really wacky stuff. I think that it still comes down to notch putting, drawing the line in the sane a long time ago, years ago, saying I just don't want to be involved with them anymore. Hes said as much publicly that hes like Im done with Minecraft, so.

G: sure. Interesting

A: I guess that it makes MS look good if theyre like "yeah we don't want to be involved with him anymore"

A: its like the whole thing just feels like drama

G: well I feel like just because he got approached right?

A: insert my drama gif here laughs

G: well im sure MS would prefer not to have any reason-

A: yeah

G: to talk about this. Im sure cresescentin looking at this and going " wait 10th anniversary is notch gonna be there?

A: and well and now were talking about it (laughs)

G: and well that's the thing though right that's how the video game news right yeah exactly. Don't get me wrong-

A: we don't get enough hot gossip Greg

G: MS was definitely prepared for this question and

A: of course they are

G: and here they are taking a stance-his comments and opinion do not reflect those in-I mean that is them saying his transphobic homophobic bullshit that he said before itsnt going to be tolerated for us

A: good

G: and that is starting the conversation again tho of and-I haven't even seen this take but Im sure this take exists which is that right, like how does that work and I think that is the company MS is trying to build for the gaming community, most of us are trying to build, that makes sense. That yeah you know freedom of speech whatever youre allowed to go say whatever fucking

A: true

G: horrible shit you wanna say on the internet but theres gonna be ramifications and that's not how youre protected if that's how it happens right?

A; yeah you know Im with you 100% there, there should be ramifications for sure, I just don't think there are here because notch doesn't give a fuck (laughs)

G: sure that's what, yeah I know right? But

A: its like oh cool youre not inviting the guy who didn't want to go (laughs)

G: I wanna check if he actually said anything yet since these stories started popping

A; yeah worth looking it up for sure

G: nah doesn't look like it

A: but this is like yeah, sure, ok.

(both laugh)

G: youre just like yeah sure whatever?

A: MS is not inviting notch because he doesn't want to go and they don't want him there looks like everyones happy

G: Sure but I think its gonna be interesting is, yeah youre right whatever, everyones happy on it it I guess but

A: except for Brian Crescente, whose really upset (laughs)

G: Well you kidding me hes in love with this? Crescente right now, everyone talking about his article? That's what you want when you write these pieces. And when you get this thing that now everyone has to pick up and everyone has to come to him because they have to source and pay for it. Its just the question of, yeah, now that-youre right lets say that, you've said, notch doesn't like doing this shit to begin with you who fucking cares, but now that theyre like now were not inviting notch because hes a dick on twitter for all its, lets read between the lines right? Hes says horrible things

A: this is MS just trying to look good I guess? Idk? Take a stand? I think its important that large companies vocalize their tolerance or lack of tolerance for certain behaviors of people that are associated with their brand because

A: because theres not enough brands I think that take a stand because theyre afraid-

G: everyone wants to be wishy washy-everyone wants to try and be as mainstream as possible and not take stands

A: yeah they don't want to rock the boat or upset business as the bottom line right?

G: right

A: but I don't think that their statements are particularly controversial, like oh cool youre not inviting notch. Alright?

G: but but its controversial

A; no greg Im not letting (inaudible)

G: (sarcastically) don't you understand how the internet works now? Us vs them, right vs left, sjws vs, bad people? I don't know what the other of that one is

A: alt right

G: oh yeah alt right but that's how its gotta be everybodys gotta be mad about something andrea

A: ok Im not gonna get mad today tho greg

Ramble on game of thrones
And just to highlight, Andrea knows all about his personal life, who he is, his involvement with the game pre and post the sale, but doesn't know a lot about the things hes said on twitter and after greg explicitly stated these statements were transphobic she classifies them as merely "wacky remarks", tries to argue that its notch who isnt going under his own choice despite the article stating MS is not allowing him to attend, argues people are just trying to incite drama, and that people on the internet just need to take sides and be angry about something, to name a few. Not a defense of him my fucking ass.

Oh and also she thinks its a mistake and wrong of MS not to invite him to this event despite his remarks.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Post count, guys.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Holy shit, actually surprised they didn't end this shitshow with an unironic "gamers rise up!".

Glad I don't watch their show.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

Calling someone out for sexism and racism isn't as bad as actual racist/transphobic statements. You can criticize tone or whatever and that's fine, but people criticizing Greg and Andrea aren't bullying them. They have a fucking show, they'll be fine and they are supposedly beholden to their audience.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn see I was wondering how long it would take some chucklefuck to trot out the "The meaning is different here!" bullshit to defend PDP, top marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.