• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm thread whining, then this is just a derail, and practically picking a fight,because what is one thing you said that the poster I'm responding didn't say better? If you want response, read what was said to the other poster.
Ah, so you still won't reply to it and elaborate on your position about the issue at hand.
Sorry for you bothering you and for wasting my own time giving you the answer you needed then!

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, it's not an either or thing for me. And don't misconstrue that to be me saying both sides are wrong. The behavior was covered. I had nothing new to add to that. I went over this already.

Mate, most of us have made up our opinion of your reason for being here. You can shout that you're being misconstrued until you're blue in the face or that you weren't being hyperbolic, but you were. Your only contribution has been tone policing and slapping the hands of other posters for not expressing themselves in the way you find appropriate and the schticks gotten old. That you had nothing else to add that wasn't covered is a wack excuse. Anyhow, we're going in circles. Really nothing else to say to you at this point.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lemme entertain you then:

Person X says "I am being silenced by jews" and "If you do not support an Heterossexual Pride Day should be shot"
Person Y says "X statements are being taken out of context" and does not elaborate further.

Person Z says the n-word multiple times.
Person Y says that's ok because person Z, being from Sweden, is not aware of the meaning of the word. Even though that is easily proven false, as done multiple times in this thread. And also ignores how long Z is not living on Sweden.

Person Y is normalizing and legitimizing X's statements.
That's support. Indirect, maybe, but still support.

Person Y is also excusing Z's behavior with misinformation.
That is blatant support.
Thank you for writing this out because I wasn't about to put that much effort into it lol

I will say that I think Andrea is much worse than Greg based on these comments. Greg just doesn't understand why simply saying "I told people not to say the N word" isn't enough.

Oct 25, 2017
For many, the issue is rarely the behavior being criticized, but the criticism itself. It's a poor outlook.
"They didn't support racism, why are all of you treating them like racists"
"Only a handful of us are, and they totally did"
"How they did?"
"here's how"
"Why am I being attacked?"
"If they didn't support, what they did then?"
"Wow, the tone of this thread"

It's no wonder Bobo wants to defend them so much - they all practice the same non committing dismissing rhetoric.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not to down play Finale's post, as it was a great post, but I'm still side-eyeing those who are quoting it "see, THIS is what people need to say".

I've said things like that before, in a similar fashion, in many different forms. I've seen other posters do the same when topics like this pop up.

Problem is, I'm tired of having to put it like that. Every single time. I'm tired of typing a block of text just so some people's feelings aren't hurt. I'm tired of having to eloquently explain human decency.

I don't have the time or energy to craft messages like Finale's each and every time, when the ignorant masses can get away with saying stupid shit with "lol I didn't know".

I'm sure women feel the same way whenever some dude is spouting off nonsense. "Sorry ladies, I expect a multi-paragraph, eloquent response or else I just can't understand, you know?

Come on.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as i'm aware, you're not threadwhining. But you are tone policing. In fact, you have done nothing in this thread but tone policing. It's no wonder people are questioning your motives. If i went into a thread where some douchenozzle said the n word and did nothing but chastize people for their reactions, i would be deservedly pissed on and probably banned tbh.
You can see how that doesn't equate tho, right?
Mate, most of us have made up our opinion of you. You can shout that you're being misconstrued until you're blue in the face or that you weren't being hyperbolic, but you were. Your only contribution has been to tone policing and slapping the hands of other posters for not responding in the way you like and the schticks gotten old. That you had nothing else to add that wasn't covered is a wack excuse. Anyhow, we're going in circles. Really nothing else to say to you at this point.
Then stop quoting me then. Don't even respond to this post. And you won't hear from me again. I was tagged to come back in here.

My stance is simple and was already stated in my first post.

KF has a history of playing both sides that should be criticized. I wish this thread did a better job of criticizing it that didn't resort to personal insults.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can see how that doesn't equate tho, right?

Then stop quoting me then. Don't even respond to this post. And you won't hear from me again. I was tagged to come back in here.

My stance is simple and was already stated in my first post.

KF has a history of playing both sides that should be criticized. I wish this thread did a better job of criticizing it that didn't resort to personal insults.

You have to go back more than 5 pages to find anything resembling the kind of posts youve been decrying are running rampant in this thread. You are and have been since the start trying to recontextualize the conversation away from the defense of nazis in order to act like everyone is out for blood and personally slandering Greg's name which is not anywhere near the crux of the discussion in here. You should stop. Its only further getting off topic and radically distorting how prevalent those posts are. And its getting to a point where your sincerity is seriously being questioned with this position (if anyone actually believed it in the first place)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Let's cut out the petty back and forths and get back on topic, please.

Oct 25, 2017
No, you were replied to with the exact answer you needed. Upon ignoring it to keep your tone policing you were tagged and still refused to engage in the discussion where you should have to do anything else besides tone policing. But keep painting yourself as a victim too, at this point, why not.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Person Z says the n-word multiple times.
Person Y says that's ok because person Z, being from Sweden, is not aware of the meaning of the word. Even though that is easily proven false, as done multiple times in this thread. And also ignores how long Z is not living on Sweden.

Person Y is also excusing Z's behavior with misinformation.
That is blatant support.

On this. It doesn't really need any outside context to show that PewDiePie was aware of what he said. In the same video we got:

1. PewDiePie immediately swerving to "sorry, but what a fucking asshole".

2. "Sometimes I forget the mike is on." I may be forgetting the exact wording, but something very close to that, where PewDiePie heavily implies that he wouldn't say that word in public.

3. PewDiePie quietly nodding along as the guy he's chatting with says that people who watch his videos won't care.

4. "What a fucking... nibber." PewDiePie repeatedly intentionally using a word that's almost the N-word so that he can get close to repeating the word without having to face additional consequences of actually repeating it.

Oct 25, 2017
On this. It doesn't really need any outside context to show that PewDiePie was aware of what he said. In the same video we got:

1. PewDiePie immediately serving to "sorry, but what a fucking asshole".

2. "Sometimes I forget the mike is on." I may be forgetting the exact wording, but something very close to that, where PewDiePie heavily implies that he wouldn't say that word public.

3. PewDiePie quietly nodding along as the guy he's chatting with says that people who watch his videos won't care.

4. "What a fucking... nibber." PewDiePie repeatedly intentionally using a word that's almost the N-word so that he can get close to repeating the word without having to face additional consequences of actually repeating it.
And all of this was said again and again since then, and highlighted by Keplek two years ago. But gotta protect the little youtuber guy!

Bobo Dakes WarRock Please see the mod-post, thank you.
Our posts went up at the same time, I'll refrain from it from now on.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I don't think anyone here has claimed that this is "performative". I totally understand why people are angry. But displaying all your anger isn't always the most constructive thing to do. Especially if you can still reach out to the person.

You are 100% absolutely correct! KF definitely deserves some shit and criticism for this, but it needs to be a measured response.
If we use the same attacks on ignorant/right-wing leaning people as we do on nazis, then our callouts effectively lose all meaning.
We don't have to lump them in with nazis yet, it can still be changed.

I'm not doing that, some people are doing that, but popping in just to chime in by shitting on the whole thread is also not nuanced when there are a bunch of people in this thread, like myself, that have been plenty measured in our criticisms.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Not to down play Finale's post, as it was a great post, but I'm still side-eyeing those who are quoting it "see, THIS is what people need to say".

I've said things like that before, in a similar fashion, in many different forms. I've seen other posters do the same when topics like this pop up.

Problem is, I'm tired of having to put it like that. Every single time. I'm tired of typing a block of text just so some people's feelings aren't hurt. I'm tired of having to eloquently explain human decency.

I don't have the time or energy to craft messages like Finale's each and every time, when the ignorant masses can get away with saying stupid shit with "lol I didn't know".

I'm sure women feel the same way whenever some dude is spouting off nonsense. "Sorry ladies, I expect a multi-paragraph, eloquent response or else I just can't understand, you know?

Come on.

It's the difference between Black and NonBlack posters.

it would be the same difference for another groups issue on another topic like you said, women, LGBT etc.

We have a direct stake in the fight. They don't. They expect decorum and discussion and kid gloves and hugs....
We tryna navigate a world where the next mofo is harassing us asking if we "belong" in a certain area or not.

We tired. Let them be pissy about about our tone and matter of factness. It just makes it easier who to recognize doesn't give a fuck in the slightest.

Oct 25, 2017

Come on.
It's the difference between Black and NonBlack posters.

it would be the same difference for another groups issue on another topic like you said, women, LGBT etc.

We have a direct stake in the fight. They don't. They expect decorum and discussion and kid gloves and hugs....
We tryna navigate a world where the next mofo is harassing us asking if we "belong" in a certain area or not.

We tired. Let them be pissy about about our tone and matter of factness. It just makes it easier who to recognize doesn't give a fuck in the slightest.
I understand and relate to this and apologize for falling into that without realizing. I got away from my initial point and it did turn into this the further it went along.

Last edited:

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't some of you guys admit that you basically agree with PDP and/or Notch on their abhorrent views?

Stop pussyfooting around by saying "You're being mean to Greg." Because he sure as sin isn't coming back because he's too much of a coward it seems.

Respect our intelligence at least.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
I had way less of a problem with Greg's comments than I did with Andrea's. I listened to that segment with great frustration (so I'm glad that there are others on ResetEra who felt the same way). It was the segment about Notch and Minecraft in particular which really annoyed me. Andrea spent like 10 minutes arguing the toss about whether Microsoft were doing it because of Notch's comments (it's not ambiguous or unclear, why on earth she was so dogged on this utterly simple point I have no clue), and then basically shrugged it all off as 'drama'. I actually felt that Greg was getting quite frustated with her, actually, because he clearly wanted to have a discussion about his extremely hateful online comments and what that means given his role in creating Minecraft in the first place, but all she had to say was that 'we don't know why Microsoft did this' (yes we do), 'they were just wacky tweets' (no, they were hateful bigoted online statements), and 'it's just drama' (???) Was really disappointed in her in particular.

On the other hand, this shouldn't really have come as a surprise to me. Greg's podcasts have been a big part of my life for 7 or so years now, but the problem with his vision for Kinda Funny is that because everybody's 'best friends', you really get two consequences. First is that he's totally unwilling to draw a clear and unambiguous line in the sand with regards to toxic, reactionary members of the KF community. This is why Kinda Funny mostly stood on the sidelines while GamerGate was at its peak in 2014/15. And the second is that his platitude of 'be good to each other' functions as a 'both sides' kind of argument, as if those condemning Notch are equally as bad as those praising him. Tim, actually, strikes me as the member of KF who understands this best - whenever something like this comes up in KFGD or the Gamescast, Tim is completely unambiguous in condemning reactionary hatred, and often gets comments from the rest of the crew trying to get him to 'measure his language' or whatever.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Can't some of you guys admit that you basically agree with PDP and/or Notch on their abhorrent views?

Stop pussyfooting around by saying "You're being mean to Greg." Because he sure as sin isn't coming back because he's too much of a coward it seems.

Respect our intelligence at least.

Considering his job/life commitments I actually do not fault him for not just immediately showing up to respond again. Especially if he has to parse a near 2000 post thread to figure out what exactly has been said and is being said towards him before responding.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering his job/life commitments I actually do not fault him for not just immediately showing up to respond again. Especially if he has to parse a near 2000 post thread to figure out what exactly has been said and is being said towards him before responding.

You could be waiting a while because I doubt Greg will respond in this topic again let alone even visit Resetera again.

I mean have you seen Geoff Keighley around here lately? He might show up for a game awards topic, but he's not quoting 100+ forum posters calling him out.

I could be surprised but I wouldn't hold out for any further responses in this topic. I guess keep an eye on the next podcast but I have no idea when that is.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
You could be waiting a while because I doubt Greg will respond in this topic again let alone even visit Resetera again.

I mean have you seen Geoff Keighley around here lately? He might show up for a game awards topic, but he's not quoting 100+ forum posters calling him out.

I could be surprised but I wouldn't hold out for any further responses in this topic. I guess keep an eye on the next podcast but I have no idea when that is.
I think he should be back on monday's show and if enough people write in to him about it he'll probably address it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he should be back on monday's show and if enough people write in to him about it he'll probably address it.

To which he'll probably state what he said here

Hey, LebGuns--

I'm sorry that you walked away from this episode thinking that I didn't take a stand on this. I'd hope that my past efforts on all of these issues would speak to my stance on them, but if they haven't, let me be clear: fuck being a bigot.

In the episode, I say never say the N-word, I say that Notch seems like an asshole, and I echo the message I've said on so many shows of "be better to each other." If that wasn't clear, I missed the mark and failed at being the man I want to be. End of story.

The conversation I was trying to have Monday wasn't "Why does the internet got to be so complicated when people get successful?" in regards to people who use the n-word. Fuck that. That's simple. It was more "How is this a lesson people have to learn in 2019?"

But again, that didn't ring true to you. I'm sorry.

I hope you know how much your comments mean to me. That goes for everyone here. Please, don't hesitate to tag me in posts about my content or ask me questions online. Talking to you is what my career is based on -- it's why I used You're Wrong (the live submission section of Kinda Funny Games Daily) in this episode to get the input from viewers about the side of the story I was missing.

I don't know it all. I try not to act like I know it all, but I don't mean for that to come off as if I don't care about or shrug at bigotry.
Greg

And if that is not acceptable on here, which it isn't to the majority, all I'm saying is don't be surprised if Greg just accepts that and doesn't really return.

Anyone who follows KF on FB/Twitter/YouTube, is there much being said from audiences on those platforms?

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA

And if that is not acceptable on here, which it isn't to the majority, all I'm saying is don't be surprised if Greg just accepts that and doesn't really return.

Anyone who follows KF on FB/Twitter/YouTube, is there much being said from audiences on those platforms?
They're all dead silent.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Well there you go, it's only here that has a topic with 1,870 posts on an incident which you're telling me none of the core KF audience is even acknowledging.

Should be a sobering reality that it's very unlikely Greg will return to this topic.
Actually was just on Instagram and saw Greg post that their pride shirt is now available. Great timing.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he gave a better statement. I hope he does.

My interaction with KF is basically just listening to KFGD live so no idea what the more active audience has been saying. I've heard greg and co check the reddit so maybe a good place to reach out?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Actually was just on Instagram and saw Greg post that their pride shirt is now available. Great timing.
I hope the shirt being on sale isn't his way of apologizing for backing white supremacists.
As far as I've seen it's been radio silence. Earliest i would expect to hear something would be on Monday.
They stream Game of Thrones reviews every Monday with her hosting right after KFGD, so you'll definitely see her Monday.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has Andrea Rene made any statements addressing this yet?

Honestly, expecting a "statement" on this is expecting too much. Greg didn't need to respond (I'm glad he did) and neither does Andrea. If I were advising her, I would say that it would be in her best interest to NOT respond specifically to this thread.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the shirt being on sale isn't his way of apologizing for backing white supremacists.

They stream Game of Thrones reviews every Monday with her hosting right after KFGD, so you'll definitely see her Monday.
was the instagram a scheduled post?

and yeah that's why i said Monday but with travel some schedules get fucked.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest. The only reason people like Miller or Keighley even post on Era is to shill for their products. This was very clear when Keighley was being called out before the VGAs and decided to ignore it while posting more hype nonsense. Miller's post in this thread is damage control and nothing more. And it's all you'll get.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I was a patreon supporter of KF but now that is gone. Easy Allies is the only game centric channel I support with my money. I will not give my hard earned money to people who do not condemn outright the huge pieces of shit Notch or PDP are. Sorry Greg Miller, I thought you were better than that.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, expecting a "statement" on this is expecting too much. Greg didn't need to respond (I'm glad he did) and neither does Andrea. If I were advising her, I would say that it would be in her best interest to NOT respond specifically to this thread.

I'd agree there. Certainly enough in this thread to validate that reasoning.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest. The only reason people like Miller or Keighley even post on Era is to shill for their products. This was very clear when Keighley was being called out before the VGAs and decided to ignore it while posting more hype nonsense. Miller's post in this thread is damage control and nothing more. And it's all you'll get.
Bingo, they lost all my support. I really loathe Andrea Rene.

Oct 25, 2017
There is zero reason to respond here in the first place.

Own it up next time you are on air and properly condemn the bigots.

Responding here, even if the perfect apology, and not on the same podcast they supposedly slipped does not accomplish anything besides pandering people here, and that's not the point of calling them out.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is zero reason to respond here in the first place.

Own it up next time you are on air and properly condemn the bigots.

Responding here, even if the perfect apology, and not on the same podcast they supposedly slipped does not accomplish anything besides pandering people here, and that's not the point of calling them out.

What I mean is, she shouldn't respond to any of the criticism specifically from this thread, even on a podcast. It would be better to respond generally and (hopefully) in a more directly critical way of Notch and PDPs actions if not the people themselves.

But to respond to anything that has come out of this thread is inviting further criticism and outrage.

Gonzalo

Oct 29, 2017
This is the noob who used NvG during the DAY while playing MGS V...

I don't see any sincererity in the apology.

Ban him now.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. PewDiePie immediately swerving to "sorry, but what a fucking asshole".

2. "Sometimes I forget the mike is on." I may be forgetting the exact wording, but something very close to that, where PewDiePie heavily implies that he wouldn't say that word in public.

Just to add some additional information, PDP is using the B button emoji meme but vocally. The origin story of that meme is changing the N word to use B's instead of G's. He knew exactly what he was doing at all times. He tried to start playing it off like a joke.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a patreon supporter of KF but now that is gone. Easy Allies is the only game centric channel I support with my money. I will not give my hard earned money to people who do not condemn outright the huge pieces of shit Notch or PDP are. Sorry Greg Miller, I thought you were better than that.
It took Easy Allies awhile to speak out about THQ Nordic.. IIRC it took them a full week to correct their stance on the issue ie not handwaving it

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Just to add some additional information, PDP is using the B button emoji meme but vocally. The origin story of that meme is changing the N word to use B's instead of G's. He knew exactly what he was doing at all times. He tried to start playing it off like a joke.
Really, it's just a racist version of the old "I'm not touching you" game. The reason you don't touch people without their permission is that it intrudes on their personal space. So kids, given the rule not to touch people without their permission, deliberately invade their personal space because the rule isn't enough to stop it.

PewDiePie knows he isn't supposed to say the N-word. But if he substitutes it for a word that sounds essentially the same, in the same context where you'd expect the N-word to be used instead of the substitute word, he's deliberately invoking the slur. He's inserting the slur into your your head, making you aware of how close he is to saying it. But if someone were to call him on it, he gets to say "but it's a different word, that isn't the rule".

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Really, it's just a racist version of the old "I'm not touching you" game. The reason you don't touch people without their permission is that it intrudes on their personal space. So kids, given the rule not to touch people without their permission, deliberately invade their personal space because the rule isn't enough to stop it.

PewDiePie knows he isn't supposed to say the N-word. But if he substitutes it for a word that sounds essentially the same, in the same context where you'd expect the N-word to be used instead of the substitute word, he's deliberately invoking the slur. He's inserting the slur into your your head, making you aware of how close he is to saying it. But if someone were to call him on it, he gets to say "but it's a different word, that isn't the rule".
Damn fuck him. This is true?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

The Bs are short for liam neeson voice "black bastard"

Status
Not open for further replies.