• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Read this very page in example, or do you have AmbientRuin already on ignore? They're being absolutely insufferable.
Can you come up with examples besides me, a person with no tolerance for fascism and its enablers. Sorry that I didn't take her apology at face value when I've heard it so many times.

Also this site has tried to insinuate I'm an incel for being against Epic Games Launcher

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Maybe, hopefully, this discussion will work as a learning experience for everyone involved.
Maybe content creators should learn to be informed on an issue before they offer their opinion about it and maybe we posters should take a couple of deep breaths before posting shameful insults and easy characterizations when commenting.

Maybe think and think well before telling something.

This has become too frequent on internet forums, less here i believe because of proper moderation, and we all need to be better than this.

Good for the people of the show that understood what was the problem and apologized, let this incident rest here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The comment she is replying to. The comment she believes "you're not wrong".

Yeah, Greg comes in here with an honest take and Andrea gives us her ass to kiss after a "performance apology"

That's the exact shit we've come to expect from people who have no stake in the issues as minorities. Shouldn't even be surprised, the woman follows Notch.

Amazing how she has no issue immediately calling out the "douchebags" in this thread but can't use the same language for PDP or Notch.

Some of you turn around and say "consider her feelings", sure... The reason this thread even exists was because she was downplaying shit and had no concern whatsoever for the feelings and emotions of those who are affected by Notch/PDPs actions.

Nah, super easy to take the asshole posts and try to generalize all of us as the same to ignore being accountable. She's says she cares and listens to voices and does the complete opposite and 100% agrees with a post who tells her she did nothing wrong.

Andrea is a Grade A Bullshitter.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Can you come up with examples besides me, a person with no tolerance for fascism and its enablers. Sorry that I didn't take her apology at face value when I've heard it so many times.

Also this site has tried to insinuate I'm an incel for being against Epic Games Launcher
Lol, you think Epic Games Launcher is worse than being an incel?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Uh, do you see a little bit of irony in you bringing that up? So someone or some people on this forum have unfairly called you an incel for not liking a games launcher, and that struck a chord with you. Understandably.

And let me just presume some other posters in your example simply engaged in good faith debate with you challenging you on why you don't like the Epic launcher?

Why can't you then recognize that there has been both good faith criticism of Andrea in this topic, and comments that veer into the one that called you an incel which emotionally upset Andrea when she read them?

Why aren't you, "just getting over" that incel comment?

I'm sure she'll get over it

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Uh, do you see a little bit of irony in you bringing that up? So someone or some people on this forum have unfairly called you an incel for not liking a games launcher, and that struck a chord with you. Understandably.

And let me just presume some other posters in your example simply engaged in good faith debate with you challenging you on why you don't like the Epic launcher.

Why can't you then recognize that there has been both good faith criticism of Andrea in this topic, and comments that veer into the one that called you an incel which emotionally upset someone when they read them?

Why aren't you, "just getting over" that incel comment?
I didn't call this site shit now did I

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I am literally telling you I saw them and know they are there. I am also saying that due to how large this thread has become and how much has been said, I cannot remember most of them specifically.

If that's the route you want to go down: you've been in this thread plenty as well. I know you've seen them. So do you have any other examples? If not, then why are you ragging on me for being in the same scenario, despite me actually openly admitting it?

I mean, I remember when you hopped in as soon as the word nazi was said and took it out of context to give someone a tongue lashing before having to backtrack.

Also, I know some people made some shit comments as they do in every topic on almost every thing. Fact is, if I was going to spend two days fussing about people making em, I'd have more to say on the matter than that. Issue is this, if y'all want to move on positively, maybe stop harping on those old comments. Andrea and Greg apologized, the majority (myself included) thought the apologies were a great gesture and yet we're still on about comments that were so few and long ago that you can't remember them.

Also, no disrespect, but don't tag me in any mass quoted bullshit. We both know I never said no one made such a comment. Personally, I've probably never called anyone a nazi on these boards. I just never saw that many people sharing such a sentiment for it to become the focus of the thread.

Tidus

Oct 25, 2017
Andrea Rene has always been trash, and I'm not surprised by Greg "was friends with Colin for years and won Trending Gamer" Miller.
Bad look for both of them. Don't know Andrea but Greg Miller has always been obnoxious trash.
Dude was best friends with Colin and would probably still be working with him had Colin not wanted to go on to "greener pastures". These guys were FRIENDS! Given what a piece of shit Colin was, I'm sure Greg knew about his views the entire time. He's just another shitty middle of the road Boogie type at best. I said it in this thread already, he's spineless and this is a problem.

There's clearly a history with being complacent about stuff like this. It's gross.
Oh hey, it's two dumb cunts talking and showing how trash they really are! Being serious for a second, both of these are oppressed with being in the centre of every topic and pleasing everybody. Andrea has always been at it.

Absolutely no time for either of those people.
Yeah, internet celebrities/talking heads in a nutshell.
Dumb cunts talking shit without any thought.
Well

Every other winner of that award is/was a piece of shit, so

With the way you've continually complained about them, one would have thought you actually saw them or knew they were there. Just funny how full of shit some of you have been on the matter.
I mean this was going on more in the thread too. Even resorting to calling them cunts at one point.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Greg comes in here with an honest take and Andrea gives us her ass to kiss after a "performance apology"

That's the exact shit we've come to expect from people who have no stake in the issues as minorities. Shouldn't even be surprised, the woman follows Notch.

Amazing how she has no issue immediately calling out the "douchebags" in this thread but can't use the same language for PDP or Notch.

Some of you turn around and say "consider her feelings", sure... The reason this thread even exists was because she was downplaying shit and had no concern whatsoever for the feelings and emotions of those who are affected by Notch/PDPs actions.

Nah, super easy to take the asshole posts and try to generalize all of us as the same to ignore being accountable. She's says she cares and listens to voices and does the complete opposite and 100% agrees with a post who tells her she did nothing wrong.

Andrea is a Grade A Bullshitter.

Who is generalizing everyone on Era the same? That's disingenuous poisoning the well in order to try and stop anyone talking about any shitty behaviour on here.

And why are you ignoring the parts of her comments that say she did something wrong?

I did though? It was an example of how you can get over being called a fascist if you aren't one. Was a poor example I guess

And I'm sure you can just get over people calling you an incel if you aren't one. But it still wasn't nice being called one incorrectly, was it?

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
A hundred posts that contain legitimate concerns are easily buried by one post saying some flat-out stupid and hateful shit.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this was going on more in the thread too. Even resorting to calling them cunts at one point.

Post I made right before this addresses this actually.

A hundred posts that contain legitimate concerns are easily buried by one post saying some flat-out stupid and hateful shit.

It was more than one, but you'll notice people are regurgitating specifics ones almost like this forum's version of telephone.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That stupid "Being called racist is just as bad as being racist" drive by and "You just dont understand nuance. Someone called her a nazi and thats as bad as saying the N word" Like what? You try to make it seem it's somehow wrong to feel offended/hurt about such accusation or thinking that people are being unfair/unreasonable when they do so. And at no point has she or anyone at here said it would be worse. But you're being an insufferable asshole and should be called out on it. So either self-reflect or go away and come back when you've grown up a bit. Your bullshit has no relevance or importance to this thread, you ain't making a difference or helping anything.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I remember when you hopped in as soon as the word nazi was said and took it out of context to give someone a tongue lashing before having to backtrack.

Also, I know some people made some shit comments as they do in every topic on almost every thing. Fact is, if I was going to spend two days fussing about people making em, I'd have more to say on the matter than that. Issue is this, if y'all want to move on positively, maybe stop harping on those old comments. Andrea and Greg apologized, the majority (myself included) thought the apologies were a great gesture and yet we're still on about comments that were so few and long ago that you can't remember them.

Also, no disrespect, but don't tag me in any mass quoted bullshit. We both know I never said no one made such a comment.
Yeah, I fucked up bigtime with that post. I'm not going to defend it, because that was a major misunderstanding on my part. I got heated over something that I didn't even read correctly.

I guess I was just confused as to why you'd say "This thread in a nutshell" in regards to me not remembering specific examples from many pages ago. To me, it felt as if you were insinuating I was lying about those posts existing or something, when that was definitely not the case (as you have admitted yourself). I know that isn't what you said, but it's what it felt like you were thinking, which is why I offered to dig up the posts in question. And hell, maybe I had a bad read on that-- wouldn't be the first time. If I did, then I apologize.

I won't tag you in it. Looks like Tidus beat me to it.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That stupid "Being called racist is just as bad as being racist" drive by and "You just dont understand nuance. Someone called her a nazi and thats as bad as saying the N word" Like what? You try to make it seem it's somehow wrong to feel offended/hurt about such accusation or thinking that people are being unfair/unreasonable when they do so. And at no point has she or anyone at here said it would be worse. But you're being an insufferable asshole and should be called out on it. So either self-reflect or go away and come back when you've grown up a bit. Your bullshit has no relevance or importance to this thread.

she made the more concerning comments in the first place
made the weaker apology
and immediately contradicted the apology on a different website

so

Tidus

Oct 25, 2017
Post I made right before this addresses this actually.
I'm just replying to when you said some of us were full of shit for saying it never happened. So I brought you some examples. I was looking for the particular quotes before you posted that message.
Edit: I see the clarification and I understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear. That's DEFINITELY not what I mean (which it sounds like you know). I guess it's the trouble with speaking to my small audience and having them "know" me so well. Do you have suggestions on how I could craft the same message for a wider audience?
Excuse the late reply, time zones and all. I don't think there's a problem with the message itself, it's about the context. Like you've already said, providing a platform for and boosting minority voices within the gaming industry is a very good way of providing that context. The problem is that context goes away very quickly when you're doing that while on the other hand providing a platform for people like Andrea to minimize the concerns of those same voices. It might seem somewhat disproportionate but a lot of the good-will you build up can go away very quickly on issues like these.

Now, I personally think that your reaction to this situation has been decent thus far and I once again appreciate it. If your goal is for your platform to be a positive avenue for marginalized gamers however, you need to do more than stay neutral and speak in broad terms. The reason posters on this forum keep bringing up people like pewdiepie, boogie and jontron et al is in large part due to the frustration over those same people continuing to get neutral/positive coverage and getting the benefit of the doubt from media outlets (like yours, but not your in particular - almost all do it) even after clearly outing themselves as proud bigots. This empowers them and teaches them that they most certainly don't have to "be good to each other" to find continued success in this field. In fact, they have been taught quite the opposite - that sort of notoriety generally strengthens their brand. Mainstream gaming media platforms are in part responsible for that and while not expected it is always a breath of fresh air when a media outlet actually shows awareness of and takes responsibility for that fact.

I mean, the good news is that it's not a particularly high bar to pass.

In regards to Andrea's statement and tying in with what I just wrote above; it's very easy to pick and choose your fights when you're not the target of hateful bigotry. That's what privilege is and that's what she fails to recognize when she offers a reply like that. It's very easy to say "oh I'm definitely 100% against all bigotry" because you're putting zero responsibility on either yourself or on the bigots in question. Anyone can make that statement because literally everyone on this earth agrees with it. That's the privilege we are talking about. The privilege to either make a sacrifice in putting yourself out there and making parts of your audience uncomfortable with whatever (positive or negative) consequences that come from that or to just play it safe like Andrea is trying to do. There is no controversy in saying "fuck bigots". There is in saying "fuck this specific person for saying this nasty shit". I think people living by the adage of "be good to each other" should also add "and make sure to be brave when needed in order to defend those values". Maybe that's the context I'm asking for and not seeing (especially from Andrea), really.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

she made the more concerning comments in the first place
made the weaker apology
and immediately contradicted the apology on a different website

so
And I've critized her for it in several posts already, but AmbientRuin has done nothing else than posting disingenuos and inflammatory drive-byish BS on the last pages. Why wouldn't I critize them too when they are shitting up an important thread. I want something good to come from this.

Last edited:

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just replying to when you said some of us were full of shit for saying it never happened. So I brought you some examples. I was looking for the particular quotes before you posted that message.

At no point did I say it never happened at all though. Don't try to gotcha me. Even yesterday, words I used were hyperbolic and exaggeration.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
It was more than one, but you'll notice people are regurgitating specifics ones almost like this forum's version of telephone.
I'm speaking more in the general sense. As someone who has been subjected to a fair bit of criticism, I can't easily remember the comments that consist of "This is great, but I have a few suggestions...". The one or two times someone straight-up called me a piece of shit? I still haven't been able to forget those.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Greg take the lesson to heart?

Yeah, Greg has responded far better than Andrea has, but Greg and Andrea are not clones of each other and some people get more upset about mean comments than others. While I'm generalizing, and inserting my own opinion in this next remark, quite often women find it harder to ignore angry men being unreasonable than other men do.

How is that controversial to at least acknowledge that might contribute to someone's short term fireworks/meltdown/hurt or lashing out?

Long-term proof of Andrea's behaviour will back up sincerity of an apology, but short-term emotional outbursts given some of the horrible stuff said in here are at a minimum, somewhat understandable.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
they both made really sincere and well-put apologies

if they live up to how they say they will do better in the future, i see no reason to not take these apologies at face value

i think y'all need to let up a bit on andrea now. not making an account on here, or disliking this community after receiving some personal attacks from here (posts that were a very small minority but still) does not really matter in the great scheme of things. the important thing is the apology and how she lives up to it in the future

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
If you are in a room with assholes in it, and someone says there are assholes in that room but you are not an asshole yourself, you don't need to get defensive on behalf of the assholes or act like you were being called an asshole.

I was massively disappointed in Greg and Andrea's comments and hope they apologies are sincere, all I can do is hope that their actions going forward are consistent with their statements.

But I'm not gonna act that the alongside justified anger and educational posts people made in this thread that there weren't also people here acting in bad faith purely for the latest internet bloodsport.

Oct 25, 2017
they both made really sincere and well-put apologies

if they live up to how they say they will do better in the future, i see no reason to not take these apologies at face value

i think y'all need to let up a bit on andrea now. not making an account on here, or disliking this community after receiving some personal attacks from here (posts that were a very small minority but still) does not really matter in the great scheme of things. the important thing is the apology and how she lives up to it in the future
This is something that always concerns me in these discussions. The reason I personally bring up Andrea is to illustrate and better explain a broader point but when lots of people do the same thing along with a few people just being straight up aggressive toward the person rather than the things they said it easily comes across as the latter even when it's not. Not quite sure how to handle it because just not even mentioning the person clearly isn't feasible either.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

At most one dumbass said that. Definitely not something that can be attributed to "this site". I'm one of the loudest critics of EGS on this site and I've not even seen anything so idiotic, and this website does have a lot of shitty hot takes when it comes to Epic.

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Who is generalizing everyone on Era the same? That's disingenuous poisoning the well in order to try and stop anyone talking about any shitty behaviour on here.

And why are you ignoring the parts of her comments that say she did something wrong?

Look at the post she's replying to. That's the context, it's a super inflammatory poster complaining about her essentially capitulating when he felt she did nothing wrong. I'm more at odds with the Reddit post now than her Era post because they're somewhat contradictory.

Her statement on Reddit takes accountability for not being informed. That's one of the issues, yes, bit she doesn't say anything about explicitly calling out bigotry aside from this idea that we're just suppose to assume that from her.

Again, the entire issue is that such a stance didn't appear to be present when watching the video. It wasn't explicit. It was questionable.

The generalization is happening on both ends. People are assuming the entire thread has been inflammatory attacks and we're losing the representation of minority voices. And also people are thinking that others claiming that the inflammatory posts are a minority are trying to downplay their existence or effectiveness in ruining the discussion.

Yes, those posts do exist in this thread and yes they do have an effect on someone's receptiveness to be willing to listen. However, someone who's willing to to learn is able to wade through the noise and filter the value from the trash. It simply just comes down to actually possessing effort in caring. The same way she's able to condemn bullshit posters in a clear and concise manner with no room of other interpretation is the same way people expect her to be when speaking about open bigots. That's the crux of the issue to me now.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Greg has responded far better than Andrea has, but Greg and Andrea are not clones of each other and some people get more upset about mean comments than others. While I'm generalizing, and inserting my own opinion in this next remark, quite often women find it harder to ignore angry men being unreasonable than other men do.

How is that controversial to at least acknowledge that might contribute to someone's short term fireworks/meltdown/hurt or lashing out?

Long-term proof of Andrea's behaviour will back up sincerity of an apology, but short-term emotional outbursts given some of the horrible stuff said in here are at a minimum, somewhat understandable.

And some get angrier when continually dealing with hand waving of racist behaviors. Before our current president, this probably wouldn't have blown up, but times are different for many.

Also, some of you seem educated enough in psychology and sociology to know that some people just won't react in that measured way. It feels like you're pissing in the wind and that the behavior of the minority is becoming more of a focus of the discussion than the original behavior. You're continually talking about understanding for Andrea's state of mind while seemingly taking no consideration of why those posters may have posted that way to begin with. It just seems that many (including you here) don't want to extend the same understanding to their fellow forum goers. I've been guilty of this in the past myself.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at the post she's replying to. That's the context, it's a super inflammatory poster complaining about her essentially capitulating when he felt she did nothing wrong. I'm more at odds with the Reddit post now than her Era post because they're somewhat contradictory.

Her statement on Reddit takes accountability for not being informed. That's one of the issues, yes, bit she doesn't say anything about explicitly calling out bigotry aside from this idea that we're just suppose to assume that from her.

Again, the entire issue is that such a stance didn't appear to be present when watching the video. It wasn't explicit. It was questionable.

The generalization is happening on both ends. People are assuming the entire thread has been inflammatory attacks and we're losing the representation of minority voices. And also people are thinking that others claiming that the inflammatory posts are a minority are trying to downplay their existence or effectiveness in ruining the discussion.

Yes, those posts do exist in this thread and yes they do have an effect on someone's receptiveness to be willing to listen. However, someone who's willing to to learn is able to wade through the noise and filter the value from the trash. It simply just comes down to actually possessing effort in caring. The same way she's able to condemn bullshit posters in a clear and concise manner with no room of other interpretation is the same way people expect her to be when speaking about open bigots. That's the crux of the issue to me now.

Because comments directed at her, are more personal to her. And yes, that is a privilege. That is putting your blinders on. But we all do it at times because hearing things essentially saying you are scum of the earth or whatever that comment was about her partner being able to do better, can rattle those bones in your body.

Especially when it's clear you have some learning to do and need to listen to why you've made a mistake. I said it earlier too, do some of you just operate on the 24 hour news cycle? You expect people who have some genuine behavioural issues to sort themselves out in a matter of hours for round 2 of you judging if they are improved? It can take a bit of time for people to truly let feedback sink in and find out internally why they've made a mistake and how to be a better person.

Of course, it's more important what she does going forward having a large platform and being part of a games industry full of assholes. But as I said in my longer posts, because someone else is ignorant or objectively acts like an asshole, doesn't mean you should always act like an asshole too (not meaning you as in YOU).

And to clarify one final time, acting like an asshole here is not me referring to generic angry posts or people being upset at the handwaving of cunts like PDP and Notch. It's zoning in specifically on those who come along for the ride and can't help but get incredibly personal.

And some get angrier when continually dealing with hand waving of racist behaviors. Before our current president, this probably wouldn't have blown up, but times are different for many.

Also, some of you seem educated enough in psychology and sociology to know that some people just won't react in that measured way. It feels like you're pissing in the wind and that the behavior of the minority is becoming more of a focus of the discussion than the original behavior. You're continually talking about understanding for Andrea's state of mind while seemingly taking no consideration of why those posters may have posted that way to begin with. It just seems that many (including you here) don't want to extend the same understanding to their fellow forum goers. I've been guilty of this in the past myself.

Given that I've repeatedly made the distinction between posters who are justified to be angry and my own remarks on saying Andrea is in the wrong, and those I'm challenging, I reject your notion I don't extend empathy to those upset for genuine reasons. I've been very careful and purposeful in highlighting a path to redemption is necessary here. All I've said as I just said above is some of you are not realistic in expecting a 24 hour news cycle.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
I haven't read the whole thread, but everytime someone's talking about Greg, his friendship with Colin Moriarty is brought up. I know nothing about Colin, but according to the comments in this thread, it seems he has done some really shitty things in the past. I looked for it on twitter and I learned about his resignation from Kinda Funny. Is that the whole story or are there some other stuff about this man?

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's real easy for you to say when you don't have a bunch of people talking trash about you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I've critized her for it in several posts already, but AmbientRuin has done nothing else than posting disingenuos and inflammatory drive-byish BS on the last pages. Why wouldn't I critize them too when they are shitting up an important thread. I want something good to come from this.
Something good arguably already came of it if you want to take Greg's comments to heart.

Obviously being mean to Andrea didn't make her defensively radicalize or anything like that, she was already saying conspiracy shit in defense of pewdiepie and Notch on her own. I don't think it's a simple misunderstand and I don't think the backlash was unwarrented. The people jumping in here to say "I hope we all learned a valuable lesson about overreacting" are effectively hiding the fact that Andrea's apology wasn't very good and there probably wasn't an overreaction as far as she is concerned.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
That's real easy for you to say when you don't have a bunch of people talking trash about you.
You say this to someone who deals with racism on a probable daily basis.

Do you not get it. People like Notch hurt people, racism and Bigotry hurt people every day. People who are affected by bigotry have to deal with a bunch of people who want to hurt them every day.

Now you're saying that the people who don't care enough about the harm bigots do should be the ones who are protected from trash talk.

Well, yes, but the point is that people are sick of people apologising for bigots, and sick of having to understand that because bigotry doesn't affect them, that they must be forgiven for not caring enough

But wait, when people attack them, no, that's just too far, and that's where the empathy must begin. Not for those who are hurt by bigotry, but those who make sweeping comments about them without thinking and then wonder why they get an angry response.

Yes, being called out sucks and there are people here who really should look at what they're saying and frankly shut up. But the fact remains that when you're subject to legitimate criticism, if your response is to point out how some of the criticism is unfair then you're downplaying the parts that are legitimately made.

Overtech

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to chime in as a weekly consumer of both KF and WGG content. I'm amazed that this back and forth nitpicking of their statements and apologies is still going on, and it seems like many people have already made up their minds about these two and nothing they say will ever be good enough. I know that both Greg and Andrea Rene have been very vocal in the past about social issues and in defense of minorities, so it hurts to see them raked over the coals for one ill-informed, unfortunate podcast. I've heard Andrea in particular talk about how she's broken off with friends due to their views, so I know she takes a hard-line stance on this. I know not everyone will consume their content and develop a more well-informed understanding of their views, but they've apologized. They want to be better people and learn. We all can be better people.

I personally want to thank Greg and Andrea Rene for doing what they can to elevate minority voices in the industry and I'm glad they are not afraid to engage directly with the community to discuss sensitive topics such as this.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Because comments directed at her, are more personal to her. And yes, that is a privilege. That is putting your blinders on. But we all do it at times because hearing things essentially saying you are scum of the earth or whatever that comment was about her partner being able to do better, can rattle those bones in your body.

Especially when it's clear you have some learning to do and need to listen to why you've made a mistake. I said it earlier too, do some of you just operate on the 24 hour news cycle? You expect people who have some genuine behavioural issues to sort themselves out in a matter of hours for round 2 of you judging if they are improved? It can take a bit of time for people to truly let feedback sink in and find out internally why they've made a mistake and how to be a better person.

Of course, it's more important what she does going forward having a large platform and being part of a games industry full of assholes. But as I said in my longer posts, because someone else is ignorant or objectively acts like an asshole, doesn't mean you should always act like an asshole too (not meaning you as in YOU).

And to clarify one final time, acting like an asshole here is not me referring to generic angry posts or people being upset at the handwaving of cunts like PDP and Notch. It's zoning in specifically on those who come along for the ride and can't help but get incredibly personal.

Given that I've repeatedly made the distinction between posters who are justified to be angry and my own remarks on saying Andrea is in the wrong, and those I'm challenging, I reject your notion I don't extend empathy to those upset for genuine reasons. I've been very careful and purposeful in highlighting a path to redemption is necessary here. All I've said as I just said above is some of you are not realistic in expecting a 24 hour news cycle.

I think it came across a bit more scathingly than I intended. I've consistently found you one of the more consistently genuine posters and didn't mean to flat out imply that you didn't give a shit. Also, I definitely wasn't expecting a 24 hour news cycle. My early thoughts were fairly tame and I've not bashed Greg. At worst, I thought he was smart and empathetic enough to know better and I still feel like he's a pretty good guy who actually cares.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

There def is a negativity issue that happens on ERA but it's also a an effect of the greater internet which tends to skew negative as a whole. Hopefully the mods will look at this thread as an example of what can be fixed here.

Like you said, most important thing is how this plays out in the future and how these topics will be discussed in that manner. That's all there is to it actually.

Nah, it's pretty straight forward. If you claim to want to learn from your mistakes and take feedback, then you have to actually seek opinion and information.

People are going to take their cheap shots and post their bullshit, but you have filter that shit if you truly want to find valid feedback that you can use. Keep in mind, I'm not saying people posting attacks and bullshit are not accountable. No, that shit shouldn't be tolerated.

But we're talking about the wider internet here. There is always someone talking shit on a daily basis per second. I can post a video of me holding a cat on YouTube and I'll get a handful of bullshit comments for no reason.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say this to someone who deals with racism on a probable daily basis.

Do you not get it. People like Notch hurt people, racism and Bigotry hurt people every day. People who are affected by bigotry have to deal with a bunch of people who want to hurt them every day.

Now you're saying that the people who don't care enough about the harm bigots do should be the ones who are protected from trash talk.

Well, yes, but the point is that people are sick of people apologising for bigots, and sick of having to understand that because bigotry doesn't affect them, that they must be forgiven for not caring enough

But wait, when people attack them, no, that's just too far, and that's where the empathy must begin. Not for those who are hurt by bigotry, but those who make sweeping comments about them without thinking and then wonder why they get an angry response.

Yes, being called out sucks and there are people here who really should look at what they're saying and frankly shut up. But the fact remains that when you're subject to legitimate criticism, if your response is to point out how some of the criticism is unfair then you're downplaying the parts that are legitimately made.

But don't conflate calling people out with the going too far. "Too far" isn't always subjective, you yourself are responsible for what comes out of your mouth in the face of injustice. You may well be talking about someone who has wronged you in some way, but there is a big difference between trash talk and being abusive yourself.

Here's one takeaway from this to think about. Andrea has been called a cunt in this topic quite a number of times. Now I'm a Brit, I see and hear the word cunt used quite often. Us Brits still know it's potentially the "worst" swear word there is. But we also look to intent. If someone engages in what you could say is cunty-behaviour, you might well feel it's appropriate to say "You've acted like a cunt" or "You're a cunt". And hey, the person maybe has. And we say that to both men and women. It's one of the harshest condemnations you can hurl at someone with the English language. When people are justifiably upset, they often use harsh language.

In America though, calling a woman a cunt is still very taboo, more so than the UK. No matter the intent. GAF used to ban the word cunt, and I don't doubt some on Era staff aren't too happy about how often it might get used around here. Do I think Andrea is probably a little bit upset quite a number of men in this topic called her a cunt? Probably. Many women would take it very poorly to have a sizeable collection of men all saying "You're a fucking cunt".

But here is where I draw my distinction between anger/harsh words and criticism versus taking it too far. I've not got much of an issue with people calling Andrea a cunt given that it was handwaving Notch who is probably one of the biggest cunts on Earth. That is very cunty-behaviour to downplay how much of an asshole Notch is. Could there be a few men who have their own issues with treating women poorly who jump on the bandwagon just to get to call Andrea a cunt /troll and not have anyone care because it seems like they're just angry? Maybe, but that is what it is, the majority using harsh language to condemn your behaviour aren't doing it to throw gendered remarks at you. They're upset people understandably lashing out to an extent, because you downplayed the problematic behaviour of two of the biggest assholes in gaming.

Getting personal to the levels of talking about people's relationships, or stating over the top hyperbole/accusations and comments that are truly in bad taste, is simply not the same as you being angry and using some harsh language to call someone out.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, y'all--

Andrea doesn't have an Era account and just posted this over on our subreddit. I just got to a computer this afternoon and was able to respond, she just got to hers:

Hi everyone! I apologize for the delay in responding to these comments, but it's been a hectic week to say the least. I've had time to reflect and I'd like to put forth this statement:

Earlier this week, Greg and I had a discussion on KFGD about recent news stories around Minecraft creator Notch and Youtube Content Creator PewdiePie. Some of you have expressed concern about statements we made, or didn't make, during that discussion and I think it's pertinent to follow-up with those concerns.

I've rewatched the show, and I understand the criticisms people had about our conversations. I regret that our discussion of this topic included unfounded or under-informed moments from me that sounded like they were condoning statements or posts that are hateful, racist, transphobic, anti-Semitic or bigoted.

I can see how my comments seem dismissive of a serious topic upon reflection, and I apologize. I vehemently reject any type of bigotry and those who invoke it. No amount of context explains away or justifies that behavior, and I'm sorry for implying it could. Of course it can't.

I support people of all backgrounds, genders, sexualities, races, religions - and I reject those who seek to disparage, dismiss, or discriminate against their fellow humans, that includes Notch and Pewdiepie. Greg and I appreciate the constructive criticism from those who took the time out to show us where we fell short, and we commit to demonstrating through both our words and our actions going forward that we have no sympathy for and will not make excuses for those that bring bigotry into the world through their statements, actions, or incitements.

Sincerely, Andrea Rene

Very strong apology from Andrea. No "but", no "sorry if I offended" and also called out names and denouncing the hate they speak about.

Much respect.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Misrepresenting and antagonizing other members
Why is this thread still going?

What needed to be said has been said and the parties involved basically agree with the criticism that people made.

Because people cant move on. They've both apologized but some people just want to drag them through the mud for the lulz. It's kinda sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.