• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I tried both graphics and performance mode and while the graphics mode is fine once you play in 60fps you really can't go back.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Game runs great so far. I agree 60fps is better. With the HD pack and while you're racing you don't really notice anything that's missing save for the dof. So I would say go with performance.

I was worried how it would feel with digital triggers but decent so far. I feel ABS is a must because of this but you lean how to go back and forth with the breaks and acceleration or just lift off the gas things are fine. I tried my GameCube controller and with the just the Pro controller and I put in a faster time with the Pro controller once I go used to the controls. Same track and car. Having played this on PC with the Xbox controller I do notice the difference there as well but nothing major I think. That might change the higher the difficulty you push and you're fighting the AI which well cheats I feel in this game at a certain point.

Want a racing game that isn't a kart or arcade futuristic then this is the option. While I think Gear Club was a good effort not enough was addressed it seems in the sequel and this blow that away quite easily. I do wish that Nintendo would put out a controller with analog triggers though or the game could be patched to support ones that do have them just to have the option open. My gamecube controller is at a point with this where the c-stick keeps pushing to the right so I had to create a config that had nothing mapped to that stick.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game runs great so far. I agree 60fps is better. With the HD pack and while you're racing you don't really notice anything that's missing save for the dof. So I would say go with performance.

I was worried how it would feel with digital triggers but decent so far. I feel ABS is a must because of this but you lean how to go back and forth with the breaks and acceleration or just lift off the gas things are fine. I tried my GameCube controller and with the just the Pro controller and I put in a faster time with the Pro controller once I go used to the controls. Same track and car. Having played this on PC with the Xbox controller I do notice the difference there as well but nothing major I think. That might change the higher the difficulty you push and you're fighting the AI which well cheats I feel in this game at a certain point.

Want a racing game that isn't a kart or arcade futuristic then this is the option. While I think Gear Club was a good effort not enough was addressed it seems in the sequel and this blow that away quite easily. I do wish that Nintendo would put out a controller with analog triggers though or the game could be patched to support ones that do have them just to have the option open. My gamecube controller is at a point with this where the c-stick keeps pushing to the right so I had to create a config that had nothing mapped to that stick.
Thanks for impressions. This is just what I need on my Switch. Will get eventually

Dec 23, 2017
Downloading right now. I'm pretty excited as this is technically my first racing sim. Also is there any switch third party controller with analog triggers?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a comparison video I did with Nintendo Switch (docked) and the Xbox 360 version (disc based). Excuse the poor racing skills, and especially the very primitive video editing abilities. This is the first time I've edited a video and it took some pretty stressful moments to figure it out lol. I liked doing it though, so I'll try and learn and take a bunch of notes on how to make it better. This isn't DF quality lol. So be gentle.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Since this game has been out for awhile on other platforms does anyone know any good custom difficulty profiles?

I feel like default Professional is a bit too easy but I don't want to spin out every corner, either. I've been playing with the Pro controller so far but I definitely need to bring out my GameCube controller because I feel it would be easier.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Framerate is really bad during crashes. Huge pileups surely are going close to single figures at times. Only real flaw I can see with this port so far.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a comparison video I did with Nintendo Switch (docked) and the Xbox 360 version (disc based). Excuse the poor racing skills, and especially the very primitive video editing abilities. This is the first time I've edited a video and it took some pretty stressful moments to figure it out lol. I liked doing it though, so I'll try and learn and take a bunch of notes on how to make it better. This isn't DF quality lol. So be gentle.

Thanks for doing this. The 360 version looks slightly sharper in your video, but when I compare it to my own Switch running the game on my monitor, my version looks sharper than the 360 version! Perhaps because I have the HD texture pack loaded? Did you use HD textures on the Switch version?

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Thanks for doing this. The 360 version looks slightly sharper in your video, but when I compare it to my own Switch running the game on my monitor, my version looks sharper than the 360 version! Perhaps because I have the HD texture pack loaded? Did you use HD textures on the Switch version?

How does it look sharper?
Looks to me the Switch version (on the left) has higher resolution and reflection, which result in a much cleaner image with less aliasing.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
X360 wasn't 1080p was it?

Can't watch video at the moment but I find it a bit strange for the X360 version to be sharper.

It doesn't look sharper. The Xbox 360 version on the right has noticeably more aliasing.

Apr 9, 2019
HD rumble in this is just crazy. It really adds to the experience.
Agreed, looks like they had a lot of fun implementing it. I think the default setting of 50 is a bit too much though =P

Difficulty settings are weird... In the street races I have to select a difficulty 3 steps above the one I select for the Open Wheel. Open Wheel keeps kicking my ass in Expert.

Is that normal for this game, that one discipline is generally tougher than the other?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just had a quick play on this after getting my Switch Lite, easily the best looking racing game on the Switch (not counting MK8DX obviously). I haven't played a TOCA - Touring Car type game in years, I forgot how fun they are.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Played for a bit last night. Game looks good. You can see it's ps3/360 roots though. And what's with the collision glitch. Every time it collide with another car the screen flashes weird big colourful pixels. Anyone else experience this?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Still getting used to the not having to buy cars concept!

Reached Season 3, fun game!

Thought it was more Arcade than it is! But thankfully it isn't as SIM as GTSport

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
While looking for keys to give in the Giveaway thread I noticed I had this game on PC... I think I'll give it a try to be sure I like the handling... I'm afraid I'll be spoiled by playing it at 100+ fps though

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Anyone find some good configurations for assists?
Seems I need to change them every car.
Currently I have

traction control On
ABS on
Stability control OFF
Handling Assist - Simulator Pro

particularly since no analog ABS is a must and traction helps out too... I hate the handling assists as it seems it doesn't let you turn enough. but I need to mess around more.

Dec 23, 2017
Currently I have

traction control On
ABS on
Stability control OFF

particularly since no analog ABS is a must and traction helps out too... I hate the handling assists as it seems it doesn't let you turn enough. but I need to mess around more.
I'm having a hard time. I feel like this is not the way a real car handles. Hopefully I get better

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

Seems like the Switch version has some form of anti-aliasing. There is noticably less shimmering/jaggies.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Did no one notice in the replay ALL other drivers are missing??
It's so weird to see an S2000 with no driver racing against you. ;/
Is this a bug?

I'm having a hard time. I feel like this is not the way a real car handles. Hopefully I get better

traction control OFF -> This cuts throttle, so off.
ABS on -> Hard to control brake pressure on an analog stick, so on.
Stability control OFF
Handling Assist - Simulator -> Offset the analog stick movement which is hard to modulate.

Seems good to me, we have to make a little sacrifice since we are using an analog stick not a steering wheel lol.
It's not as good as real simulators but on a handheld it's good enough.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Currently I have

traction control On
ABS on
Stability control OFF

The handling assist is something you have to mess around with. I'm running TC off, ABS on, and Stability off. The biggest difference maker for me so far is the Handling Assist. It felt like I was fighting the controls with it at Balanced. With it on Simulator it's great. Cars are lot more responsive, acceleration appears to be a lot better as is breaking. Digital isn't even an issue at this point. Where before I was struggling to place high I'm leaving cars in the dust to the point I'm going to up the AI.

I don't recall if this is something I had an issue with the PC version to be honest. It's been a while since I played it. Here though I noticed the difference right away when I was doing Touring. Going to go back to Street and check there. I was using Balanced there and was struggling a lot of the time even when I used the stick for breaking and acceleration and even the GameCube controller.

Edit:

That's what it is. On full Arcade the game will actually break for you completely. Like you can floor it toward a turn the breaks will engage automatically at the correct breaking points too. I guess it's happen to some degree in the option below that (Arcade Pro) but nowhere near what is happening in the full Arcade handling. Some of that must be happening in Balanced. That could be why it seemed like I was fighting the controls at times because I likely was. Some things might be hitting automatically and I'm trying to do the opposite of it. I don't notice any hint of that in Simulator and I assume Simulator Pro is the same way.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
Did no one notice in the replay ALL other drivers are missing??
It's so weird to see an S2000 with no driver racing against you. ;/
Is this a bug?

traction control OFF -> This cuts throttle, so off.
ABS on -> Hard to control brake pressure on an analog stick, so on.
Stability control OFF
Handling Assist - Simulator -> Offset the analog stick movement which is hard to modulate.

Seems good to me, we have to make a little sacrifice since we are using an analog stick not a steering wheel lol.
It's not as good as real simulators but on a handheld it's good enough.
Wow I think you were right on. Best race so far and more enjoyable. This game is a must buy for switch owners that are racing fans. Thanks big time!

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Man, they really did a good job with this port. The selection of great racing games on Switch is very slim (MK8DX, Crash Team Racing and Fast RMX are the only real standouts I can think of).

So this game fills the hole of the somewhat more realistic driving game with real cars and tracks.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, they really did a good job with this port. The selection of great racing games on Switch is very slim (MK8DX, Crash Team Racing and Fast RMX are the only real standouts I can think of).

So this game fills the hole of the somewhat more realistic driving game with real cars and tracks.

Rise: Race the Future and Team Sonic Racing are both excellent.

V-Rally 4 is fun when it works but there are many places where the game falls apart either visually or performance-wise, and the game is so difficult to the point of seeming broken to me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just had a look at the price here...$55AUD. It's $15 on iOS - in fact the prices on iOS ports in general just make the Switch tax even more ridiculous. The Ni No Kung PS3 port is $90AUD on the Eshop, absolutely hilarious.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a look at the price here...$55AUD. It's $15 on iOS - in fact the prices on iOS ports in general just make the Switch tax even more ridiculous. The Ni No Kung PS3 port is $90AUD on the Eshop, absolutely hilarious.
The price on Steam is more than it is on the Switch. /shrugs

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
How is the campaign in this game? Does it make you want to keep playing or is it just race after race with no sense or accomplishment?

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm getting kind of tired of racing in a Ford Focus... is there a way to choose from other cars?
I know that certain offers from sponsors have different cars... but really... It would be great to have had a choice between 3-4 cars in each event.

How is the campaign in this game? Does it make you want to keep playing or is it just race after race with no sense or accomplishment?
I wouldn't say there's no sense of accomplishment. But It's not like GT where you get trophies and money and cars as rewards...
I wish there was a bit more of this.... It would be great for example if you managed to scrape through a victory in an event that it would give you more cars as options for that event or something. As it stands you get more offers from other sponsors ... and those might have other cars.

Last edited: