• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Note: Apologies if this OT appears scarce or rough. It was thrown together last minute when I noticed nobody had claimed responsibility

EHzu9yQ.png

VqTkm7I.png

• Release Date: Ultimate Edition - October 8th 2019, regular edition - October 11th 2019
  • Developer: Codemasters
  • Publisher: Codemasters
  • Platform(s): XBOX One, PlayStation 4, PC (Steam), Stadia
  • Pricing: $59.99 (Ultimate Edition - $79.99 Steam, $84.99 XBO/PS4)

Ultimate Edition

• 3 days early access
  • Season 1 - Hot Hatch Showdown
  • Season 2 - Track Day Supercars
  • Season 3 - Track day hypercars
  • Seasonal Rewards
  • 10 Player Cards
  • 10 Player Banners
  • 10 Extra Unique Liveries

GET YOUR HEART RACING
Capturing intense moment-to-moment racing action, GRID returns with an all-new experience where every race is the chance to choose your own path, create your own story and define your legacy in the motorsport world.

J8OQWYQ.png

DISCIPLINES

Exya9OT.png

xsr4n5Y.png

• GT
  • Tuner
  • Stock
  • Invitational
  • Touring

IMPACTFUL DAMAGE SYSTEMS
Take too many hits and your car will show signs of damage which can also affect handling. If you mess up, you can always use the series' trademark Rewind to try again.

AI/NEMESIS SYSTEM
Ram into an opponent too many times, and they might turn into a nemesis - indicated by an icon over their car. They will generally try to make your life much harder, apparently sometimes going out of their way to get revenge.

You can also recruit teammates. There are over 400 AI personalities in the game, including Fernando Alonso.

FERNANDO ALONSO?
Yes, Alonso worked alongside the developers to offer his expertise. You can race against him in the game.

CAR LIST

Alfa Romeo 155 TS – Touring
Aston Martin Vantage GTE – GT
Audi R8 1:1 – Tuner
BMW M3 Touring Car – Touring
BMW M1 Turbo Group 5 – Touring
Chevrolet Camaro GT4.R – GT
Chevrolet Camaro Super Tourer – Touring
Datsun 240Z (S30) Modified – Tuner
Dumont Type 37 (fictional) – Stock
Ferrari 330 P4 – GT
Ferrari 365 GTB4 Competizione – GT
Ferrari 512 BB LM – Touring
Ferrari F430 Challenge – GT
Ford Capri Turbo Group 5 – Touring
Ford GT GTE – GT
Ford GT40 – GT
Ford Mustang GT4 – GT
Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth – Touring
Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth Group A – Touring
Holden ZB Commodore Supercar – Touring
JEDI F1000 – SPEC – Open-Wheel
Jupiter Eagleray Mk5 (fictional) – Stock
Jupiter San Marino Oval Stock (fictional) – Stock
Lancia Stratos – GT
McLaren M8D – Prototype
Mini Miglia Challenge – Tuner
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Time Attack – Tuner
Nissan 300ZX (Z32) Modified – Tuner
Nissan 350Z (Z33) Gr.2 – GT
MCA Hammerhead Nissan Silvia (S13) – Tuner
Nissan Silvia Time Attack Spec (S15) – Tuner
Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC10) Modified – Tuner
Nissan Skyline GT-R Group A (R32) – Touring
Pontiac Firebird Modified – Stock
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 – GT
Porsche 917/30 – Prototype
Porsche 935/78 Group 5 "Moby Dick" – Touring
Porsche 911 GT4 (997) – GT
Alpine A110 1800 Group 4 – GT
SUBARU BRZ Modified – Tuner
Volvo 850 Estate Touring Car – Touring
Aston Martin Vantage GT4 – GT
Mazda RX-7 Panspeed – Tuner
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Time Attack – Tuner
Renault R26 – Open-Wheel
Subaru Impreza WRX – Tuner
Subaru WRX STI TC-2 – Touring
SRT Viper GTS-R – GT
Auto Gallery Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) – Tuner
Audi RS 3 LMS – Touring
Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept – Stock
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Modified – Stock
Chevrolet Corvette C7.R – GT
Dodge Challenger SRT Modified – Stock
Ferrari 488 GTE – GT
Ford Focus TC-2 – Touring
Ford Mustang Mach 1 Modified – Stock
Pontiac Firebird Modified – Stock
Porsche 911 RSR – GT
Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR – Touring

AlOtIuf.jpg

CAREER MODE

sFrnVFX.png

Can you master each racing discipline and take down Ravenwest Motorsport in the GRID World Series?

FREE PLAY

Any track, any race option, any car (via a loan system if you haven't unlocked the class)

ONLINE MULTIPLAYER

Quick Play:
" Here, you'll be added to a lobby of other drivers and a race from GRID's ever-changing, curated list of events will be chosen for you. From top GT models on race-ready tracks, to Tuner road cars on tight street circuits, and everything in between, be prepared for anything to be thrown your way. " - Codies Blog

Private Race:
" Choose between a Race, Time Attack or Point-to-Point event and choose any category and tier of racing from GRID to get started. Adjust privacy settings, decide if AI will also feature and their difficulty level, the damage level (including terminal), use of Flashbacks, how the grid order is formed and if you'll use a standing or rolling start. " - Codies Blog

Skirmish:
Dick around in a Jupiter Eagleray Mk5 on a figure-of-eight circuit while you wait for people in the lobby to ready-up.

FAQS (from the Codemasters Blog)

Is GRID an 'arcade' or 'simulation' game?
GRID's in-game options to adjust difficulty, assists, car tuning and event setup mean it can be played in the style of a sim racer, or a super-accessible arcade game. New to racing games and want some assistance? Use the dynamic racing line, keep the AI difficulty down, and make use of car assist to help you early on. Looking for something much more difficult? Whack the AI difficulty up, turn off assists, tune your car pre-race, switch off the HUD and settle in for a real challenge. The choice is yours.

Does GRID support wheels?
Yes, and then some. GRID has been built from the start to be equally enjoyable on both pad and wheel – and for wheel players, we've given you more options than ever before to optimise your experience. Check out our compatible wheel list HERE, along with details on new manual setup options for PC players.

Will you be adding free post-launch content?
Yes. For all players, we'll be adding new content alongside the announced Ultimate Edition goodies. That includes new circuits, which will be free and available to race, regardless of which version of GRID you have.

MEDIA

GmM51Vm.jpg

X91U8f7.jpg

REVIEWS:

Wccftech - 9/10
Power Up Gaming - 9/10
Eurogamer - Recommended
IGN - 8/10
Gamereactor - 6/10

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The joys of PC game pre-orders: since I've paid for this game ages ago, so I've already paid this purchase off my PayPal Credit. So, I'm going to call this a sunk cost, and enjoy the game.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Didn't include it in my pretty tight budget, but would love to check it out on Game Pass.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nice OT. With Codemasters behind I won't be touching it until all the DLC are out and the game's cheap, but it does look fun.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be getting the game later, but this is one game I very much am looking forward to play when I get it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Quick note about the Ultimate Edition.

The digital Ultimate Edition is $85 (U.S) and this appears to be the only way to get the game 3 days early. The physical Ultimate edition is $80 and does not appear to be available early.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this guy's twitter...and it seems he's posting screenshots from youtube videos and doesn't actually have the game? Youtube videos of prelaunch footage? We don't even know what settings the game was on or anything at the time.

Quick note about the Ultimate Edition.

The digital Ultimate Edition is $85 (U.S) and this appears to be the only way to get the game 3 days early. The physical Ultimate edition is $80 and does not appear to be available early.
I see $79.99 for Ultimate on Steam. Seems to be different on consoles?

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
Cdkeys has the ultimate edition (PC) for $50, with early access.

I've watched a decent amount of preview coverage and overall the game looks great to me. It does seem like that twitter account is using some rather bad / old sources. Hopefully the final product won't have some of those flaws, and digital foundry can do an analysis for us. Still, I think codemasters is on the upswing again, with a solid F1 2019, Dirt Rally 2.0 and Grid.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The Renault R26 seems so out of place in this game. I guess if you're going to bring in Alonso that's the car to have him race.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
You already posted this in the other thread. Did Codemasters piss on your chips or something? You're taking it awfully personally.

Just really disappointed with how the game looks after 5 years, and how little content it features:

GRID Autosport features 22 locations:
image.thumb.png.c0d079279b6e5eb8667f1033eb4d06c9.png

GRID features 12 (Okutama counted just 1 in Autosport), almost half:
image.png.7769021a6db6af413a6f48c03fea174d.png

From these 12, 9 are recycled, doesn't look much better or directly look even worse than 5-6 years ago... and they are asking full price for this.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
You have just 4 posts in this forum, and all of them are shitting on this game.
What's up with that?

Shitting on the game would be saying "this game is shit" without even saying why. I'm criticizing a just released game from a franchise I loved, detailing exactly WHY I think it's disappointing and looks so mediocre and outdated, specially after 5 years since the last one in the series.

If you don't agree it's fine. My reasons perfectly explain themselves with images and videos.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Shitting on the game would be saying "this game is shit" without even saying why. I'm criticizing a just released game from a franchise I loved, detailing exactly WHY I think it's disappointing and looks so mediocre and outdated, specially after 5 years since the last one in the series.

If you don't agree it's fine. My reasons perfectly explain themselves with images and videos.
Fair enough, it just seems a bit much when you post it so often.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like game has unlocked on steam for ultimate owners, so hopefully I can try it out tonight!

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So far so good on One X.

Definitely feels like a cross between Autosport and GRID 1 and feels nice to play with a Gamepad.

The Mustang was an oversteer laden beast and Touring Cars feel just about ok on the understeer side but not quite the level of Project Cars in terms of feel there.

Definitely a solid racer for sure and looks decent enough on One X.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
What a fun thread this is already turning out to be...We get it, you don't like alot of what your seeing, but doing so in a number of threads?

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not sure it is a good idea to use preview code performance in the OT, maybe wait to see how the final game performs? Or at least indicate that numbers you are showing is from preview and not final code?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Had this pre-ordered and now I see that my country is no longer listed in the regions for activation. Sigh.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
In the DF Tech Preview analysis:

they say it falls below 60fps
image.thumb.png.23c44c1a03d9861d1da9c03a1ca570b5.png

and even below 50
image.png.7797b6edd5a4784401c0b14c92113995.png

in Xbox One X, because it has higher res than PS4 Pro. You noticed any of that already?

Cockpit mode is most definitely smoother than Chase can but it certainly didn't feel like sub 50 FPS on San Francisco, and no tearing was noticeably apparent.

Actually Silverstone felt like it had a few more dips subjectively than San Francisco.

Anyway a few more notes:

On Career mode, you get a Hot Lap Qualifying option. Noticed after my first race and utilised it to great effect.

The Audi RS3 TC2 didn't feel like a RWD. Is it actually a FWD?

Mirror reflections are not even close to 60fps on One X and that's jarring.

The standard difficulty even with paring back ABS TCS and Stability Control is exceptionally easy especially if you're familiar with the GRID handling model.

Said handling model is still very familiar and fun once you're back into it. It's like riding a old favourite bike, it's just on the right side of fun with the danger of it kicking your arse if you're too over confident on the brakes.

So far, so very GRID. If you liked 1 and Autosport it's very much a continuation. And yes, I would have loved to see more tracks, but hopefully this will get long term support with more to come.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Cockpit mode is most definitely smoother than Chase can but it certainly didn't feel like sub 50 FPS on San Francisco, and no tearing was noticeably apparent.

Actually Silverstone felt like it had a few more dips subjectively than San Francisco.
So just to be clear, you're saying you are seeing framerate drops using chase cam?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Subjectively it doesn't feel quite like a full 60fps 100% of the time. It feels markedly improved from the DF preview however.
To me noticeable framerate drops are inherently the problem. If the problem was fixed they would not be noticeable.

Thanks for checking on that.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
Been playing this for about 3 hours so far. Looks absolutely fantastic, just wish it ran a little better at 4K. But maybe we're pre-day-one-patch and maybe some tailored drivers will boost it a little lol. Still hasn't stopped me from playing at 4K though.

Game is fun and addictive so far and the car list is great. Just a pro tip though, if you're playing with assists off and reach the Super Touring (I think it's called) races, don't buy the Holden Commodore, it handles like the tires are made of worn banana peel driving on an ice lake :P

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Decided to get it on PC thanks to cheap CDKeys code. No doubt it'll arrive on Gamepass for Xbox without too much of a wait.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
Been playing this for about 3 hours so far. Looks absolutely fantastic, just wish it ran a little better at 4K. But maybe we're pre-day-one-patch and maybe some tailored drivers will boost it a little lol. Still hasn't stopped me from playing at 4K though.

Game is fun and addictive so far and the car list is great. Just a pro tip though, if you're playing with assists off and reach the Super Touring (I think it's called) races, don't buy the Holden Commodore, it handles like the tires are made of worn banana peel driving on an ice lake :P

That's pretty much how the Commodore handles in real life, so it really sounds like they've gone and got it right again!

I haven't played a racing game in years and I need a change from all the 3rd person games I've been playing lately so I'll be picking this up on Friday. Hopefully I'll finish the current job I'm on by the weekend and can play on Sunday :)

Looking forward to seeing more impressions!