• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What I see is a pretty but static skybox, fake lighting, barebones track detail, lack of everything current gen graphics is about.
So GI and PBR aren't current enough? Also, "fake lighting"? List a single racing game here with real-time lighting everywhere. Lastly, track detail is on par with other closed-circuit racing games and a static skybox isn't exactly a negative - even the Horizon games don't have dynamic ones (they're animated, but still eventually loop).

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I know there are difficulty and assist options, but on default, how does it play? How does it feel at its most arcade? At its most sim? Is it a drastically different game? Is it closer to GRID 1, 2, or autosport? Does it feel like a step up from those or just more of the same?

Is there a pseudo story like FI, or a more standard style career mode?

Why Codemasters GRID 2019 looks #LikeNoOther
https://twitter.com/sinsudar/status/1181194307740585986

EGR-X4uWsAERvGX
Who gives a shit how it looks, most racing games these days that are not the big platform exclusives look more or less the same, aka better than a last gen game, and that's good enough. Billboard trees? At 184MPH, I sure as hell won't care!

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Some folks are obsessed with judging a game on the methods used rather than the output achieved. If a game has a pretty sky, that sky is pretty, it doesn't matter which programming technique put it there.

I love watching Digital Foundry vids, but hell it's responsibly for an awful lot of dick waving from people who are obsessed with the code over playing the actual game.

Micknick

Nov 1, 2017
I know there are difficulty and assist options, but on default, how does it play? How does it feel at its most arcade? At its most sim? Is it a drastically different game? Is it closer to GRID 1, 2, or autosport? Does it feel like a step up from those or just more of the same?

There is no story at all. This a few linear race classes with events to do.
The handling model is odd, the cars feel weighty but to an extent it feels like you just throw the car into corners and hope your come out the other end.
The damage model is mystifying. I've been playing on the full damage model but smashing the wheels of an open wheel car into a wall does no damage when I'd expect it to destroy the suspension

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
So spent a couple hours with it last night on the X.....

Driving is fun and I am enjoying it for what it is.. I am however very let down by what seems like bare bones content all around. The career mode is lifeless. I also really do not understand why there is no in game stats at all.. miles driven.. wins.. anything that would be cool to keep track of is gone.

Need to spend some more time with it but it feels like a very small team worked on this and spent 75% of their time on the visuals. I still plan on plowing through the career mode but I was pretty shocked at just the overall simple vibe of the game and expected a larger package overall I guess.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017

I'm a fan of Forza, but quite enjoy PC2 and Dirt Rally 2 etc and play with a wheel (TMX pro) with buttkicker. I really like the handling in Grid so far, it is definitely on the arcady side, way more so than forza in terms of throwing cars into corners. I've even been tapping handbrake at times. As for assist, I've kept a bit of Traction and Stability control (think it was 3 or 4) since without that the curbs seem to instantly cause you to spin, and it feels like part of the fun is going balls to the wall, so that is the perfect balance for me where I can go nuts and keep the car on the limit.

I'm using bonnet cam and the sense of speed is amazing, races feel really intense and are contact heavy in a good way. Definitely brings back old Grid 1/2 memories.

Career mode feels like Forza 7 in terms of being a linear list of class races, but personally I prefer that over the whole story style F1 career stuff. There is enough variety for me to keep me entertained and I look forward to working my way through it all. You can hire a teammate too, and depending on their skill they take a different cut of winnings. I actually really like seeing my teammate and enjoy trying to pass him cleanly, very cool addition.

Performance is great on my ryzen 3600 / 5700 xt with it being locked 60 on ultra at 1440p, it isn't quite locked at 4k, with drops to the low 50s, but with some minor tweaking I should be able to get it locked.

Also, HDR can be enabled in the settings xml, and seems to work great! Telemetry can also be enabled there, similar to Dirt Rally 2, so just waiting on Simhub to add support to use tachometer/bass shaker, although using buttkicker with base audio works amazingly well!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Who gives a shit how it looks, most racing games these days that are not the big platform exclusives look more or less the same, aka better than a last gen game, and that's good enough. Billboard trees? At 184MPH, I sure as hell won't care!

I wouldn't pay any attention to random twitter user x, whose shots look suspiciously low setting compared to any other footage. Via EG:

And like any self-respecting arcade racer, it looks absolutely gorgeous - so sumptuous, in fact, that in motion it's almost as pretty as a vintage Codemasters bullshot.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I would say the default controller setup has the non-linearity set too high and can make cars seem like they tend to oversteer, but it's a control issue, not a physics one. I reduced the setting and it was much better.

Micknick

Nov 1, 2017
I would say the default controller setup has the non-linearity set too high and can make cars seem like they tend to oversteer, but it's a control issue, not a physics one. I reduced the setting and it was much better.
That's a decent shout actually, would make sense as to why I felt like the weight of the cars was off and I was having to throw it into corners and hope it sticks

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
That's a decent shout actually, would make sense as to why I felt like the weight of the cars was off and I was having to throw it into corners and hope it sticks

I had similar issues with Dirt 2.0. What appeared like twitchy cars/hardcore physics was in fact default controller sensitivity being set too high. Gave no chance for nuance in using the analogue stick. A few tweaks and it was a different game.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Career mode is a deal breaker for me. It's what made the original GRID so good.

Original GRID and the Dirt 2 are still two of my all-time favorite racing games in terms of singleplayer experience. The amount of talent the GRID&Dirt team lost to both studios like Playground Games and the Codemasters's own F1 studio is showing. This game and the Dirt 4 lacks the authenticity that was present in the original GRID and the Dirt 2. After the Dirt 3, Codemasters games that are not F1 always felt like smaller scope projects than what it used to be.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Original GRID and the Dirt 2 are still two of my all-time favorite racing games in terms of singleplayer experience. The amount of talent the GRID&Dirt team lost to both studios like Playground Games and the Codemasters's own F1 studio is showing. This game and the Dirt 4 lacks the authenticity that was present in the original GRID and the Dirt 2. After the Dirt 3, Codemasters games that are not F1 always felt like smaller scope projects than what it used to be.
Ok, "the Dirt 2" is bothering me lol

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say now that the embargo is up. The force feedback stuff is lean to say the least. So if your thinking of doing a wheel you may need to crank the settings way way beyond what you normally would. Which is sad as normal input itself is greatly improved and the game doesn't play at a speed where a wheel feels like a sidethought.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
I will say now that the embargo is up. The force feedback stuff is lean to say the least. So if your thinking of doing a wheel you may need to crank the settings way way beyond what you normally would. Which is sad as normal input itself is greatly improved and the game doesn't play at a speed where a wheel feels like a sidethought.
Yup, I had to crank my wheel feedback up quite a bit, think I'm running 120 (default was 100) on most and it helps, but I definitely noticed the lackluster wheel force feedback when I started.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Some folks are obsessed with judging a game on the methods used rather than the output achieved. If a game has a pretty sky, that sky is pretty, it doesn't matter which programming technique put it there.

I love watching Digital Foundry vids, but hell it's responsibly for an awful lot of dick waving from people who are obsessed with the code over playing the actual game.
I'm really not a fan of takes like this. Digital Foundry is not responsible for other people's foolish behavior.

Career mode is a deal breaker for me. It's what made the original GRID so good.
What exactly is so different from the first GRID in regards to the career?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I had to crank my wheel feedback up quite a bit, think I'm running 120 (default was 100) on most and it helps, but I definitely noticed the lackluster wheel force feedback when I started.
I had to do that then jump into my settings on the wheel itself outside and then crank it there. Its crazy. Also barely any settings at all. Just puzzling.

Also Gamereactors first part of that quote doesn't make a ton of sense the way I am reading it BUT the part about things not feeling real. Reading the review they hit on something I experienced alot. Even with all settings(assist) off something feels weird about the controls and when I read them saying "its like random places where water is on the road" Is exactly what the 5 of us playing it for review had said when we started playing. There are some real oddities that I haven't experienced in a racer before. I don't know if graphically somethings not being represented well in some tracks or what. Oddly enough tracking opponents cars into the same areas they were unaffected even if their top speed was above mine.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Hey Karak

I know you're working on your surely awesome review, but can you offer a quick 2 cents on the performance on the console versions? :)

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The frame drops on PS4 Pro are a bit odd considering Digital Foundry already looked at the game and only highlighted a single instance of the frame rate momentarily dropping.
One of the things I have noticed every time when it comes to performance videos is that its just a couple tests. But get a real world situation in there and there is literally always variation on performance. Especially as test samples increase by user purchases. Or new patches come that might screw something up a bit, or about 1000 other variables.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer gave it silver that's all I need to know. :)) Reviewed on X!
"And like any self-respecting arcade racer, it looks absolutely gorgeous - so sumptuous, in fact, that in motion it's almost as pretty as a vintage Codemasters bullshot. Grid's original aesthetic has never aged, really, and this Grid executes it with conviction. Plant the throttle and the screen fills with so much tyre smoke and shakes with the sound of rattling engines that you can almost smell the action - that acrid, exhilarating aroma of castor and hot steel. The cars themselves look overstated and arrive pre-loved with bumps and scratches - run a lap in them and they'll be so filthy it looks like they've run 24 hours around a sodden Nordschleife. All this and, like any self-respecting arcade racer, on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro it runs at 60fps."

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Just did the intro and it sure is a looker. More GRID is always welcome. I've got the PC release and it's running smooth as butter at 4K 60 at absolute highest but I can't seem to find any PC setting for HDR, even after enabling it in Win10 settings. Also having difficulty with Atmos, it doesn't seem to be outputting it in Atmos to my amp, even though I have no problems with Gears 5 and other Atmos capable games.

Still a beautiful and atm fun game.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just did the intro and it sure is a looker. More GRID is always welcome. I've got the PC release and it's running smooth as butter at 4K 60 at absolute highest but I can't seem to find any PC setting for HDR, even after enabling it in Win10 settings. Also having difficulty with Atmos, it doesn't seem to be outputting it in Atmos to my amp, even though I have no problems with Gears 5 and other Atmos capable games.

FYI sound throughout is borked. Atmos included

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Cheers Karak, love your stuff btw. Good news on the the HDR front anyway as it suddenly came to life. Needs to be enabled in Win10 as there is no in-game toggle.

How to enable PC HDR

dieter

Oct 27, 2017

HDR is enabled in the hardware_settings_config.xml file which is found under:
<system drive>:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\GRID (2019)\hardwaresettings
Set HDR mode to 1 and specify peak nits. Seems to work for me, but I haven't played with it much. It adds an additional item under brightness in the game when enabled.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheers Karak, love your stuff btw. Good news on the the HDR front anyway as it suddenly came to life. Needs to be enabled in Win10 as there is no in-game toggle.
Thanks.
I think with Atmos I had to reset the game a number of times for it to click. But then after could only get it to be on a couple times. Its very finicky. It also doesn't really help the lack of impact sounds inside cars which I was really hoping for.

Also the time splits between hard and very hard just don't make much sense. The jump in the gap timing is almost 2-4x's when it comes to what wins 1st in Hard versus sometimes in Very hard. its a crazy leap.. Doable but the options should just be called, win, win, win, nope.

Last edited:

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah something a bit iffy going on with regards to both audio and HDR. Working after a re-launch, then not working, then working etc. Both are working as of now but as you say it's finicky. As are the hard crashes I seem to be getting. Hopefully sorted in a patch, sooner rather than later.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Had a few odd bugs on Xbox, including the IN-Car HUD flickering on the Audi RS3 TC2 during the hot lap qualifying mode.

Nothing too serious but I think a few weird glitches have crept in, sign of a tight deadline.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Still waiting for my Ultimate Edition Key from Humble Bundle. I guess they didn't get the memo of 3 day early access. It's not really a big deal but it WAS one of the advertised things for the game. I got 20% off because my subscription, so I'm not gonna push for a refund just because I didn't get my early access, but it's the principle of it.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for my Ultimate Edition Key from Humble Bundle. I guess they didn't get the memo of 3 day early access. It's not really a big deal but it WAS one of the advertised things for the game. I got 20% off because my subscription, so I'm not gonna push for a refund just because I didn't get my early access, but it's the principle of it.
Email their support team. It isn't right that you're not getting something as promised by the publisher. Obviously a refund isn't the right recourse but either expedited delivery of the key or a coupon/goodwill gesture is needed.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
Look man, I don't know if you're ever coming back to this thread, but let me tell you one thing - that Twitter account is absolutely trolling or they're blind. I kid you not, GRID is actually one of the most beautiful racers I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them, from GT Sport, to Horizon 4, to you name it. Yes, there are a few issues with shadows draw distance and perhaps the SSR issue is indeed true, but none of it matters. The overall presentation is absolutely spectacular and it runs absurdly well. Here's some 21:9 screenshots at max settings on PC - hopefully they'll make you reconsider your opinion:

Already tried the game myself. You can cherry pick some good shots, of course, you can do that with almost any game, even the worst looking ones like rFactor. But all the issues listed in that thread are there. Very noticeable bugs and problems with:
  • Trees
  • LODs
  • Shadows
  • Reflections
  • Exposure, Contrast, tonemapping
  • Textures loading over low res ones
  • Pixelated textures on cars
  • Flat lighting
What is more baffling, game is just 30fps on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One S. So, on top of it all, they blatantly lied to the content creators doing the previews. Check this: https://youtu.be/6sc4P4LPS9Q?t=304

GRID's graphics quality shouldn't had to be so dragged down with base consoles targeted for 30fps. Driveclub is the only racing game I know that is 30fps on base PS4, and it looks a whole generation superior. A game from 2014. With some of its developers working now for Codemasters. It's just baffling:

Driveclub_rain.gif.85b218ce0784cce8d2a678870f0f944c.gif
jo1BgkJ.gif
DriveClub007.gif
giphy.gif
source.gif
giphy.gif

GT Sport, to Horizon 4, to you name it.

Me too, plus all previous Codemasters GRIDs, that were amazing for their time.
GT Sport is another good example, it runs at 60fps on base PS4 (with some dips here and there, but 60) and looks a whole lot better too:
71902f0390b6b4eafc3d542c47f751de.gif
5w3tmKj.gif
AcademicNarrowAntlion-size_restricted.gif

And regarding Forza... Forza Horizon 4 is an Open World game, which in itself is a whole other dimension of limitations than closed tracks like GRID. But hey, even with that, Forza Horizon 4 manages to do Seasons, dynamic Day/Night cycles, dynamic weather, proper reflections, dynamic exposure and proper Tonemapping... and look this amazing while doing it:

Now look at this...
6B33E12B8E991131A7E8A95020B08361096ED129

Does this look "amazing" in comparision with all of the others? it doesn't even feature proper reflections, they are all wrong. In 2019. F1 2001 was doing proper car reflections in the PS2 era... *facepalm*

GRID is a game that looks outdated, and features stuff that is very noticeable worse than previous games of the franchise.
These are trees in GRID Autosport, 2014, 5 years ago:
20190907130942_1.thumb.jpg.49509e5e05936261c379becaa9affadc.jpg.c4f5a0fbaf632b1e59202929563404fd.jpg

These are trees in GRID, 2019, 5 years later:
dh.png.ad2ff1342c9d2eea620fbd8908abc2ee.png.d39d3814740ca5bc30968a0c11e59a91.png

You can perfectly go to Sydney Park, check them, and tell me if this is "trolling" or is the real thing, and those trees look exactly like that...

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah something a bit iffy going on with regards to both audio and HDR. Working after a re-launch, then not working, then working etc. Both are working as of now but as you say it's finicky. As are the hard crashes I seem to be getting. Hopefully sorted in a patch, sooner rather than later.
During testing I did get about 8 crashes. Do you have Duel Monitor? The game seems to hate duel monitor. I still got crashes outside that but in particular it would call one monitor device 3 or some crazy shit even once only 1 was plugged in and then seemed finicky until a restart and even then. Where nothing else did.
I also got a lot of draw in when going into my own cockpit form another camera at times(not always). Like parts would just popup. Very odd. Thats on NVME hardware.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't you get warned for spamming? You're doing the same post yet again.

I have no idea why you'd compare this to Forza or GT Sport either really. I imagine the gulf in budget must be enormous. At some point you have to factor that in and understand cuts will be made.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019

Well... most people do. Congrats on being one of the few that don't care about graphics.

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/75-Gamers-Say-Graphics-Do-Matter-Purchasing-Game-64659.html
image.png.f7594df313d6ab212862a8ece0881fcb.png

image.png.98113d56adcc09f70d716accb4361cdd.png

https://medium.com/the-cube/pretty-pixel-the-importance-of-visuals-in-game-design-5f3ae148a41e

https://kotaku.com/yes-technical-details-are-important-in-video-games-1507704558
image.thumb.png.0a15be76d5caa42aa76f99091a99140a.png

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
During testing I did get about 8 crashes. Do you have Duel Monitor? The game seems to hate duel monitor. I still got crashes outside that but in particular it would call one monitor device 3 or some crazy shit even once only 1 was plugged in and then seemed finicky until a restart and even then. Where nothing else did.
I also got a lot of draw in when going into my own cockpit form another camera at times(not always). Like parts would just popup. Very odd. Thats on NVME hardware.

On Grid Autosport - and other Ego Engine games the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Service" in Windows would cause crashes. But making sure it's disabled stopped all the crashes I had in Grid Autosport. Worth a try in Grid in case it's a bit of legacy code still causing problems.

---

I've just been playing some Grid Autosport and it's made it more obvious how bare bones GRID 2019 is. Even little things like Codemasters' games usual feature of speaking the player's name isn't in there. Don't get me wrong, Grid 2019 is fun, but I'm glad I got a cheap Steam key rather than pre-ordering the Xbox One version.

BTW Grid Autosport is still well worth playing on PC. Looks great, and lots of tracks to play on.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Who on the Grid team hurt you? Lol

I actually think it looks pretty good in motion, seemed to be quite a lot going on in the background and the damage model is impressive.

The models and fidelity don't hold up to GT but what does? Am going to put more time into it now I am home from work but I am looking forward to it

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom

No, just a a single Q9FN TV via HDMI. Going to leave it for a couple of days as I decided to turn the old PS4 Pro on this morning and was greeted by an update for GT Sport, going to check that out for my racing fix and hopefully give GRID another shot when a patch is released. Not that I refuse to play before a patch or anything, just have another racer to try.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
the damage model is impressive.

It's worse than GRID Autosport on Switch... and even the original Race Driver GRID damage model was far more impressive, 11 years ago, just check this:

And this:
2B70670A-88C2-48A8-BE25-4763C6BBBB65.jpeg.01cc5b7c282faccfc4ad35f7d0d740bb.jpeg

There is a whole thread on the official forums with complaints on how watered down and worse the damage model is, compared to the first game from 2008.

Last edited: