• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Graphics schmaphics, to some extent. Nicer graphics are always nicer, but this looks nice enough.
The barbones-ness is more of a substantial problem than background trees having bad LOD, or whatnot.
The damage not being up to par for the series is disappointing though.

Sounds like this game suffered some manner of resource constraints, and like I'll be waiting for Grid 2020.

There's a racing game sale on Humble by the way.
I got Grip, Horizon Chase Turbo, Ride 3 and Project Cars 2.
Noticed I had already acquired Grid Autosport somehow. Installed that.
So even if NFS Heat also turns out to not completely stick the landing, I think I'll be good on racing games for now.

Last edited:

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Well... most people do. Congrats on being one of the few that don't care about graphics.

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/75-Gamers-Say-Graphics-Do-Matter-Purchasing-Game-64659.html
image.png.f7594df313d6ab212862a8ece0881fcb.png

image.png.98113d56adcc09f70d716accb4361cdd.png

https://medium.com/the-cube/pretty-pixel-the-importance-of-visuals-in-game-design-5f3ae148a41e

https://kotaku.com/yes-technical-details-are-important-in-video-games-1507704558
image.thumb.png.0a15be76d5caa42aa76f99091a99140a.png
Bro, I think we got it lmao.
Are you done yet?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know... is the forums purpose discussion? is criticism allowed or is this "praise only"?
You know, you ever been in a friends group where you are discussing something and you have that one friend who has to interject their opinion every 5 min even though all the friends are trying to discuss a variety of topics and then that one annoying friend says "Wait, but did you hear about this?" and he mentions the same thing ad nausea?

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I've been playing it for a few hours and I feel a bit disapointed with the visuals on the base (Slim) PS4, while the performance looks solid the IQ, LODs and some textures are breaking my imersion very easliy. At least the driving is fun, and I'm actually digging the tradicional/old-school arcade-y carreer mode, with bite-sized events, one after another.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
Didn't you get warned for spamming? You're doing the same post yet again.
I'm answering to a quote with examples, what is wrong about that? is there a guideline with a description of what exactly constitutes "spamming"?

I have no idea why you'd compare this to Forza or GT Sport either really. I imagine the gulf in budget must be enormous. At some point you have to factor that in and understand cuts will be made.

They had plenty of money to put into Fernando Alonso's pockets. Maybe if that money went to the real developers, to have more people, better paid and more time to develop the game it would have make a notable difference.
I could compare GRID to other games not from big houses like Sony or Microsoft, like Project Cars. Or even better, to games by Codemasters themselves. F1 titles look vastly better.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
The fact that criticism of this game has been your sole discussion point since you joined this forum, leads me to believe you have an agenda.

It so happens that I just joined this forum at the same time the game is released. And as a long time fan of the franchise, my interest in this release was high. I don't know what you mean by an agenda, I'm disappointed with the game and with Codemasters. You could say I'm "venting out my frustration with the game", sure, but I think my criticism is honest and fair.

I was answering the people here that replied directly to me and quoted me, and even put examples from the game themselves to support their opinions. Just tried to engage in a civil discussion and provide info. I'm not disregarding anybody for their opinions or mocking anybody, like other posts I've read that seem to be measured with a different scale.

As I'm just a noob here, I'll try to post less often and less images. Hope that's ok.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm a graphics whore, I admit it. But also enjoy fun in games too. The car handling in DC never really jelled with me. Loved the bikes, but still wish they handled more like the Ride/MotoGP games. I'm hoping this will be a good addition to GT Sport, Dirt Rally 2 and MotoGP for me.

I'm looking forward to playing this Friday, just couldn't bring myself to get the ultimate edition this time. I wish the track list was bigger, that's one complaint I totally get. And I don't think we're getting any tracks in the season passes, they say adding events to go with those street/super/hyper cars, nothing about new tracks for those events. But we'll see.

I loved the original. Ironic for a simcade to have almost the complete license for the 2006 LeMans series. I'd run 50 lappers to sim a season.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested but I'll need to read more about the driving model. There's nothing wrong with arcade handing done right (see pgr2) but half assed driving models like drive club can just feel wrong. I never got used to that game.

Also disappointed that the f355 didn't make the cut :/

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Played a few hours now, really liking the game.
Game looks great, sounds even beter, and plays really well handling-wise. framerate is very stable on PS4 Pro.
I'm also really digging the team aspects, with having to hire teammates and dealing with their personalities when you instruct them.
The AI for the rest of the grid (pun intended) is also very well done.

No regrets getting the Ultimate Edition

Oct 28, 2017
Twice now I've crashed to desktop when going to check the online leaderboards after a race... Makes me have to do the event over again. Kind of annoying.

I'm enjoying the game overall, but I'm also constantly thinking about how it could and should have been better. It's lacking in ways that are just disappointing, but not ruinous.

Azzawon

Oct 25, 2017
Scunthorpe, UK
I really want to like this game but I can't at the moment. I'm playing on an Xbox One X and the graphics really aren't that spectacular. The game feels very barebones and the less said about multiplayer the better. Handling feels off when it comes to braking, the AI are just annoying and whenever they touch your car you end up bouncing off of them and into a spin, or the wall.

Honestly, this game feels like it was either rushed or had serious budget cuts, because it doesn't feel like it was ready to be released in it's current state.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I was a little hyped from very early streams, the handling looked very fun and graphics more than decent enough for me personally.
On today's streams though, I heard two of my most watched streamers say that the progression feels grindy already ...and then there is the tiny track list that is turning me away from this.
I'm on holiday, timing would be perfect, but I have other games unfinished (though tbh a racer usually fits between everything for me)... idk, 50€ seems too much for this track list, especially since the Codies have so many more tracks from F1 and rallycross (some have asphalt only configurations) lying around that they more or less just would have needed to license and optimize a little.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
Can someone who's playing answer me this - is it possible to drift the cars when you're driving by yourself on say a time trial track? I mean even though no drifting events surely they haven't completely removed the ability to drift right?

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
I get to race locally and I feel like many are actually very close. If you take into account physical effects not being possible unless someone throws a bucket of water at your face and your pissing into a diaper.

As someone who's spent quite a bit of time on race tracks both in sim and real life, the thing I use most on a track is not my eyes and hands but my ass. Sims struggle to replicate that feeling of grip and where the limit is.

To be honest I have actually come to prefer simcade games because Sims manage to replicate everything in a race car expect the fun part. Looking forward to hearing more impressions about GRID but will likely be waiting for Game Pass or a deep sale.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I get this for the full whack.

The online only has quick play it seems, nothing else. The career are seperate races, very bland. No stats or anything either or so I heard. It sounds like this has been made either on a tight budget or by a skeleton crew. Dirt 4 and Rally seems to offer more. The track list sounds underwhelming, not a lot of them. I also miss the drift stages from the original. I hate drift in a lot of games but I liked it a lot in GRID 2008.

Looks like 2008 had more tracks, better career and better everything.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The more I play the more disappointed I am. After only about 4 hours of play in total, I'm getting really bored of the tracks and samey events.

I don't wanna sound hyperbolic, but I honestly think that this game is a downgrade in almost all aspects compared to Autosport. Even in terms of visuals, surprisingly. What Grid 2019 offers in extra is weather conditions, detailed dash cam and uhh....

Out of curiousity i booted up Autosport on Steam and did a couple of races in it and the game felt more visually impressive to me than 2019. What's worse is tha the damage modeling also seems more extensive and better detailed.

Autosport also has more event types, more tracks, a better online (shame no one plays it anymore) and a better career mode.

I am quite baffled. Like, Grid 2019 is not a bad game. Far from it. If you just look at it on its own, its a fun arcade track racer and we arent exactly spoilt for choice this generation in that genre.

But compared to its predecessors, it's smaller in scope and ambition. Having played around a bit with Autosport just to see the graphics I am kinda wanting to keep playing that instead of going back to Grid 2019, despite playing over 100 hours of it back when it releaesd. I have played all 3 Grid games through multiple times and played a bunch of the online too, but I don't see myself doing even quarter of that with this game .

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This whole release is really weird to me, doesn't seem like there's much point especially on PC when you can just buy Autosport for peanuts. On Switch it makes a lot of sense however.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The more I play the more disappointed I am. After only about 4 hours of play in total, I'm getting really bored of the tracks and samey events.

I don't wanna sound hyperbolic, but I honestly think that this game is a downgrade in almost all aspects compared to Autosport. Even in terms of visuals, surprisingly. What Grid 2019 offers in extra is weather conditions, detailed dash cam and uhh....

Out of curiousity i booted up Autosport on Steam and did a couple of races in it and the game felt more visually impressive to me than 2019. What's worse is tha the damage modeling also seems more extensive and better detailed.

Autosport also has more event types, more tracks, a better online (shame no one plays it anymore) and a better career mode.

I am quite baffled. Like, Grid 2019 is not a bad game. Far from it. If you just look at it on its own, its a fun arcade track racer and we arent exactly spoilt for choice this generation in that genre.

But compared to its predecessors, it's smaller in scope and ambition. Having played around a bit with Autosport just to see the graphics I am kinda wanting to keep playing that instead of going back to Grid 2019, despite playing over 100 hours of it back when it releaesd. I have played all 3 Grid games through multiple times and played a bunch of the online too, but I don't see myself doing even quarter of that with this game .
It really does feel like the more time people spend with this game the more negative their opinion becomes. This is why you don't do 3 day early access Codemasters. You're giving a lot of people a few days to soak up these negative takes and reconsider a standard edition purchase. lol

funk99x

Sep 29, 2019
Indiana
Only played about 40 minutes so far. Seems cool. Handling is great, graphics are good. Runs extremely well on my Ryzen 2700/Radeon 580 combo (high settings, ultra high textures).

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
But I do care (not to the extend I'll go nitpicking trees trackside that aren't representative of the overall look and won't even be noticeable in motion), and I'm not sure what you gain by posting articles that say the obvious. I just think racing games all look pretty much the same these days, given they're realistically rendered with more than enough polygons, with real licensed cars I've seen a million times over, and real world tracks from the same old cities and racetracks. Especially Codemasters, of all devs, the studio who puts out like 3 racers every year, is a completely known quantity.

When I say "who gives a shit", I mean "it's Codemasters, you know exactly what you're getting, why bother fussing". Games are not gonna look like shit these days; but I guess people have different standards for what looks like shit. I guess some racers have shinier cars, some racers have better weather, some have better foliage, some have better sunsets and others better nights. When was the last time a game was so ugly you were pulled out of the experience in the middle of it? There are way more important things to worry about in a racer.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
What I see is a pretty but static skybox, fake lighting, barebones track detail, lack of everything current gen graphics is about.
I was going to say the same thing - not really seeing anything outlandish there at all.
I don't wanna sound hyperbolic, but I honestly think that this game is a downgrade in almost all aspects compared to Autosport. Even in terms of visuals, surprisingly.

Talking about that... a guy just posted this comparision of San Francisco on the official forum.
GRID 2019 on the left, GRID Autosport 2014 on the right:

image.png.c31230750ee0266091620100576a31c0.png

image.png.00c9c8019b54595948495137e2bb1e50.png

image.png.1db8fd6c5d9dcaef788105bc7c05ba99.png

Full gallery here: https://abload.de/gallery.php?key=kLY3TgnZ

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
If I'm not mistaken, all their games use the same engine and pretty much have the same graphics.

They use the same EGO engine (version 4 this year), but their games don't have the same visual quality by a mile. The F1 series is simply amazing visually, and it has been for at least 5 years in a row. It is an annual game, they had to make 5 games in the same time the GRID team made this one. Maybe the F1 team is bigger and better funded, but that's all up to Codemasters ties. I'm not blaming the devs here, I'm blaming management.

Oct 29, 2017
I keep seeing people mentioning Grid Autosport here, and I noticed Humble has it for $7.99 on Steam. I am already getting Grid for Xbox One X, and I'm excited for it. Would Grid Autosport on PC also be worthy of a purchase for $7.99 for a couple day's worth of entertainment?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing people mentioning Grid Autosport here, and I noticed Humble has it for $7.99 on Steam. I am already getting Grid for Xbox One X, and I'm excited for it. Would Grid Autosport on PC also be worthy of a purchase for $7.99 for a couple day's worth of entertainment?
Yep. I have it on mac already, but I just bought it on PC via Humble. lol

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I really want to like this game but I can't at the moment. I'm playing on an Xbox One X and the graphics really aren't that spectacular. The game feels very barebones and the less said about multiplayer the better. Handling feels off when it comes to braking, the AI are just annoying and whenever they touch your car you end up bouncing off of them and into a spin, or the wall.

Honestly, this game feels like it was either rushed or had serious budget cuts, because it doesn't feel like it was ready to be released in it's current state.
Good to hear this. Getting this to play on my 4kTv was very tempting.

Yes, they already delayed it with a month.

This whole release is really weird to me, doesn't seem like there's much point especially on PC when you can just buy Autosport for peanuts. On Switch it makes a lot of sense however.
This is exactly what I did. PC version of Autosport runs very well at 4k Ultra on a GTX 1070.. Unfortunately I ran in some audioproblems related to my Realtek onboard sound. The same problems I had with F1 2016 and make the game unplayable. I Guess they never fixed that either. :D
I did play enough to conclude that this handling model is not really doing it for me anymore.

spend about 6 euros but saved me 55.

Back to Horizon 4 for me.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Autosport is very much worth that price.

The game still plays very very well and via DSR is very much a looker at a downscaled 4K.

The more I think about GRID the more I wish they had some extra time and budget. The game is so close to being a great package but is just falling short in many areas.

The actual racing though, once you're playing, is still very fun and at least they nailed down the arcade but challenging handling style with just the right amount of oversteer baked in.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Ended up caving and picking the game up for quickfire online racing, which will be a nice pallet cleanser to pair with Assetto Corsa Competizione's hyper realistic and serious approach.
For a game that looks so basic in the graphics department, there should be some work in the optimisation department. On my setup I get a near-enough locked 60 on ACC running Ultra, guaranteed 144 on the OG GRID - but in GRID 2019, it bounces between 45-58 on Ultra on the more intensive tracks and when many cars are on the screen. On top of that, there are very easily noticed LOD and texture overlapping issues I think bring the game down a visual peg. Oddly enough the chase cam also seems a bit buggy, jittering about when cars are trailing closely behind.

On the plus-side, the cars race great.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

You'll probably end up liking Autosport more tbh. The driving model is extremely similiar and Autosport has more content. But yeah either way I'd say it's worth it. It's one of the most underappreciated racing games released this decade.

Jun 2, 2019
Yeah that port makes sense (though overpriced), this one that doesn't seem like a significant upgrade for $60 doesn't.

It honestly doesn't feel overpriced. Devs put a lot of effort and even made sure we could use a gamecube controller for analog trigger action

About the impression of this, well, as a Codemasters' racing games fan I'm disappointed, still I need to try it so I can give my own impressions, but as of now it feels like a rushed game.

PS: Graphics are worth nothing. Case in point, Grid Autosport Switch performance mode. Fuck the shiny bits, give me 60 fps and awesome gameplay

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It honestly doesn't feel overpriced. Devs put a lot of effort and even made sure we could use a gamecube controller for analog trigger action

About the impression of this, well, as a Codemasters' racing games fan I'm disappointed, still I need to try it so I can give my own impressions, but as of now it feels like a rushed game.

PS: Graphics are worth nothing. Case in point, Grid Autosport Switch performance mode. Fuck the shiny bits, give me 60 fps and awesome gameplay

$55 AUD for a port of a game that is years old and been available on iOS for $15 for ages already is too much for me.

Jun 2, 2019
$55 AUD for a port of a game that is years old and been available on iOS for $15 for ages already is too much for me.

To each his own i guess, mobile is another market so i don't really take it in account, but honestly Autosport is so good as a game and the Switch version is such a good port that i didn't care paying 35 € for the Switch version, i got it on PC almost free so let's say i was just compensating.

Not the thread to discuss this, though. My bad for quoting you on that. Sorry.

Anyways a friend of mine just told me he got the game. I'll ask him to share his steam library with me so i can try it.

Jun 2, 2019
What are the reasons someone would buy this over the far cheaper autosport?

Loving the original's career mode and having played it to death, so you want to experience it again but in a new game is my reason, at least.

I always hated how Codemasters never brought back the original career mode, and instead made us put up with the dudebro career from Grid 2 or the Autosport career, that almost doesn't gives you freedom of choice (The only black mark of the game for me)