• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
Please watch this video from the PS4 Pro version and come back and tell me how ugly this game is.

Is it just me or is that clip recorded with HDR enabled in game and not uploaded as HDR? It looks way more washed out than it should be, so I suspect it is due to HDR not being recorded correctly or something else being wrong with their recording, since the game looks much better than shown in this clip.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Is it just me or is that clip recorded with HDR enabled in game and not uploaded as HDR? It looks way more washed out than it should be, so I suspect it is due to HDR not being recorded correctly or something else being wrong with their recording, since the game looks much better than shown in this clip.
I guess I can check when I get home tonight. Its a very bright time of day in that video. Only the sky is really washed out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just saw that Giant Bomb has a Quick Look of this now. Checked on last friday if this was still forthcoming, but it wasn't in the weekly preview list of quick looks. Took it as a sign of how absolutely dead this is, since they QLed all other Codies games (except F1 since it's annual and not their Forte without Drew) and even stuff like Gravel in terms of racing games. But no, there is a QL now.

Btw., not a good nor informative QL, no need to watch it, if you're not a GB fan.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
Just been playing Grid 2 on PC. Still looks gorgeous. It does have two flaws though - no cockpit views of any kind, and Codies really leaned heavily into hideous chromatic aberration as a design feature.

You can use BayetasMod to fix most of that stuff:

GRID2 BayetasMod PC - Immersion Mod
BayetasMod is a complete overhaul of GRID2 aimed at providing a realistic and immersive racing experience.

BayetasMod features:
  1. New physics and car settings/handling for higher realism.
  2. 12 new Immersive Camera Views + Replay cameras.
  3. Improved lighting and visuals rendering. Lots of changes both in locations and cameras settings for a more realistic look. Softer lens flares, adjusted colour balance, tonemap, DoF, motion blur, distortion, bloom, dust, streaks, etc.
  4. Optimized HQ Settings for top visuals quality and performance.
  5. Improved ForceFeedback. (You may need to recalibrate your ingame FFB strengths balance using it, but this FFB is MUCH more realistic if you drive using a wheel)
  6. TrackIR support. Works too during Flashbacks and in realtime during Replays. There is a special camera support in Cameras 2 and 3 (Extreme Immersive strength 1-2) that allows to use a control to turn the head back smoothly while using TrackIR all the time to look backwards.
  7. No Engineer speech during the race.
  8. Realistic used tyres textures.
  9. No Intro logo videos
  10. No stickers

What track is that a few posts above? I haven't see anything looking like that so far. I'll run GA and G'19 side by side maxed settings and take a look.

It's Okutama.

Having played the game for hours on a 4K tv with HDR I can confidently say those pics are like those guys who take the picture of a gorgeous woman and zoom in to point out the flaws on her toes. This game looks incredible most of the time. Don't let bad screenshots and compressed YouTube videos captured in various ways steer your opinion like this.

Please watch this video from the PS4 Pro version and come back and tell me how ugly this game is.

Hope I don't get banned again just for answering... XD

Those are PNG uncompressed 4K captures from both games at the exact same points. No zoom. On the contrary, they are both scaled down, and just because of that you can't notice that GRID Autosport's MSAA is much better than the faulty TAA implementation of GRID 2019.

GRID is very uneven, some tracks and times of day/weather look good or decent, and some look horrible. None look "amazing". GT Sport looks amazing, and it is double the framerate on base consoles. Driveclub looks amazing, and it is 5 years older than GRID with the same 30fps framerate on base PS4, but looks just a whole generation superior.

Here's a comparision (not my video) of the same Barcelona track in GRID Autosport (2014) and GRID (2019):

Again... just answering. Not gonna post any more "walls of pictures", ok?

The only thing I have against GRID is that it is a total let down for fans of the franchise. A clear cash grab. That's it. And both sales and Users Reviews are agreeing on that. I don't even care for multiplayer and people are saying in the official forums that's the worst part of the game...

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

GRID is very uneven, some tracks and times of day/weather look good or decent, and some look horrible. None look "amazing". GT Sport look amazing, and it is double the framerate on base consoles. Driveclub looks amazing, and it is 5 years older than GRID.

Here's a comparision (not my video) of the same Barcelona track in GRID Autosport and GRID:

The only thing I have against GRID is that it is a total let down for fans of the franchise. A clear cash grab. That's it. And both sales and Users Reviews are agreeing on that. I don't even care for multiplayer and people are saying in the official forums that's the worst part of the game...

I don't think I've ever seen a person more determined to let the world know a game isn't living up to their graphical standards before.

Are you oblivious to the fact that you are comparing first party Sony games, made with massive budgets and targeting a single platform, compared to something Codemasters made? Are you really naive enough to believe that Codemasters had anywhere near the budget GT Sport and Driveclub had?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't think I've ever seen a person more determined to let the world know a game isn't living up to their graphical standards before.

Are you oblivious to the fact that you are comparing first party Sony games, made with massive budgets and targeting a single platform, compared to something Codemasters made? Are you really naive enough to believe that Codemasters had anywhere near the budget GT Sport and Driveclub had?
Driveclub wasn't exactly first party, was it? Also, the F1 games and Dirt Rally 2.0 definitely look and feel like big budget games. It's almost like GRID was developed by a B team at Codemasters. No idea, but love the game anyway. The Codies DNA is still pretty much there and alive, and what really matters - the racing, is a lot of fun.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019

Codemasters are the exclusive makers of the F1 franchise, it's not like they are a little indie studio mate.

They had PLENTY of money to throw into Fernando Alonso's pockets just to rent his personal brand, instead of the real developers to make a better game... who needs Fernando Alonso's name to buy a videogame? Are we back in the 80's and 90's? they should have put that money directly into the dev team, to have more people, better paid and more time to do real 2019 quality.

ProjectCars 2 is a much better game, and SMS sure is a much more indie studio than Codemasters and have much lower budgets.

But it's not even a thing of comparing Codemasters to others, but themselves. The original Race Driver GRID was a truly amazing game, ahead of its time. GRID 2 was a bit of a letdown, for being too arcadey, removing cockpit, etc. but they fixed that in 1 YEAR releasing GRID Autosport, which again was great. Now, 5 years later, GRID 2019 is the worst in the franchise in every aspect, comparing with the competition, taking in count the difference in years and even in some absolute terms with previous titles of the franchise...

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
4.6 User Score on Metacritic (PC)
5.0 User Score on Metacritic (PS4)
4.4 User Score on Metacritic (XB1)

It's not just me being obnoxious about the bland and outdated graphics...

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Having played the game for hours on a 4K tv with HDR I can confidently say those pics are like those guys who take the picture of a gorgeous woman and zoom in to point out the flaws on her toes. This game looks incredible most of the time. Don't let bad screenshots and compressed YouTube videos captured in various ways steer your opinion like this.

Yes. That video shows a old gen game with overexposed lighting, bad texturing, low density assets, baked reflections, etc.

It's ugly also.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I felt pretty meh/10 about this after the first 3 hours on a ps4 pro. Since then, after unlocking most of the GT4 and GTE cars, I've done a complete 180.
This game is super fun. It's a blast and I can't help but smile playing it. Track list is thin, yeah, but the different times of day with rain and night really help. Plus doing them in reverse is a nice challenge.

No regrets at all picking this up anymore.

I get why people are miffed about the barebones career and small track list.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
I am confused about what is happening here. Have you just joined this forum so you can run down this particular game? You only post in this thread. Have you nothing positive to say anywhere else?

It just happens I joined this forum on the week of release. I guess I will have plenty of positive things to say about RDR2 PC, NFS Heat, Jedi Fallen Order, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2077, ... and even GRID if they ever fix all that is wrong with it.

Last edited:

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
Man this game is bitter sweet to me.

I love the gameplay and the racing, it is definitely a GRID game.

It's just lacking so much soul that the first game had. Just little things like not having a garage with your cars in, to not having sponsors for extra income for the team, it's a missed opportunity. If they had just copied and pasted the first games career mode it would be perfect. I played that to death.

With Codies nowadays, it really does feel like their entire budget for the year is on F1 (understandably) and there isn't a tonne of money left over for GRID or Dirt.

That being said, I'm still playing it loads.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Driveclub wasn't exactly first party, was it? Also, the F1 games and Dirt Rally 2.0 definitely look and feel like big budget games. It's almost like GRID was developed by a B team at Codemasters. No idea, but love the game anyway. The Codies DNA is still pretty much there and alive, and what really matters - the racing, is a lot of fun.
Driveclub was 100% first party. A Sony owned studio making an exclusive game for the PS4.

F1 is not a fair comparison to other Codemasters games because it's got the backing of an entire racing organization. So I suspect it's given a good budget for that reason alone. Dirt Rally 2.0 isn't easily comparable to GRID because it features tracks that are far simpler to create, with far less dense city tracks full of a dozen plus cars to render. All of those things make the graphical aspect of GRID far more complex.

I can't believe you're trying to bring Metacritic user reviews into this discussion. As if anyone takes those things seriously. The fact that you're paying close attention to them isn't surprising though. ;)

I'm done engaging with you about this game. It's clear you've got issues with this game that are not going to be reasoned with.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is bitter sweet to me.

I love the gameplay and the racing, it is definitely a GRID game.

It's just lacking so much soul that the first game had. Just little things like not having a garage with your cars in, to not having sponsors for extra income for the team, it's a missed opportunity. If they had just copied and pasted the first games career mode it would be perfect. I played that to death.

With Codies nowadays, it really does feel like their entire budget for the year is on F1 (understandably) and there isn't a tonne of money left over for GRID or Dirt.

That being said, I'm still playing it loads.
To be honest if they had such budget issues maybe they could've just made Autosport Remastered.

Missed opportunity perhaps.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018

Sigh...here we go again.

you're back from a ban and went straight back to this thread doing exactly the thing you got banned for.... smh

You do know Metacritic User score doenst mean ANYTHING right?

Anyway, I am done engaging with you.
Lets leave it at a middle ground, and at a 'to each their own'..
And while you keep being negative, i am thoroughly enjoying this game. The driving, the AI, the sounds and yes, also the graphics. especially in HDR.

I am confused about what is happening here. Have you just joined this forum so you can run down this particular game? You only post in this thread. Have you nothing positive to say anywhere else?

Sure looks like it lol

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
you're back from a ban and went straight back to this thread doing exactly the thing you got banned for.... smh

I am not, I am answering questions and direct quotations, not posting any more images. But it seems for some I don't even have the right to do that now.
Users critizicing the game... bad. Users praising the game, good. Metacritic scores from other users... nonsense, they don't mean anything, even if the original GRID has a 7.9. Only the positive scores of this thread are valid opinions. Yeah.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
No, user metric scores are useless because you don't need to play the game to leave a review. They have no substantial backing like an official outlet review.

Anyone can say 1/10 without honestly valid criticism. THAT is why User scores are useless.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I am not, I am answering questions and direct quotations, not posting any more images. But it seems for some I don't even have the right to do that now.
Users critizicing the game... bad. Users praising the game, good. Metacritic scores from other users... nonsense, they don't mean anything, even if the original GRID has a 7.9. Only the positive scores of this thread are valid opinions. Yeah.
The problem people have with YOU (specifically you) bringing in user metacritic scores into an argument to bash a game that we know hasn't lived up to fan expectations and is worse than the older version, is that user metacritic scores have no type of validity to them. You can post a score without playing the game and I know you know this and users here know YOU know this.

But you continue to push your narrative CONSTANTLY. This is a forum for where you can provide criticism or say a game sucks. But what you are doing is pushing an agenda or a narrative, which is why you got banned in the first place.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You can use BayetasMod to fix most of that stuff:

GRID2 BayetasMod PC - Immersion Mod
BayetasMod is a complete overhaul of GRID2 aimed at providing a realistic and immersive racing experience.

BayetasMod features:
  1. New physics and car settings/handling for higher realism.
  2. 12 new Immersive Camera Views + Replay cameras.
  3. Improved lighting and visuals rendering. Lots of changes both in locations and cameras settings for a more realistic look. Softer lens flares, adjusted colour balance, tonemap, DoF, motion blur, distortion, bloom, dust, streaks, etc.
  4. Optimized HQ Settings for top visuals quality and performance.
  5. Improved ForceFeedback. (You may need to recalibrate your ingame FFB strengths balance using it, but this FFB is MUCH more realistic if you drive using a wheel)
  6. TrackIR support. Works too during Flashbacks and in realtime during Replays. There is a special camera support in Cameras 2 and 3 (Extreme Immersive strength 1-2) that allows to use a control to turn the head back smoothly while using TrackIR all the time to look backwards.
  7. No Engineer speech during the race.
  8. Realistic used tyres textures.
  9. No Intro logo videos
  10. No stickers

It's Okutama.

Those are PNG uncompressed 4K captures from both games at the exact same points. No zoom. On the contrary, they are both scaled down, and just because of that you can't notice that GRID Autosport's MSAA is much better than the faulty TAA implementation of GRID 2019.

GRID is very uneven, some tracks and times of day/weather look good or decent, and some look horrible. None look "amazing". GT Sport looks amazing, and it is double the framerate on base consoles. Driveclub looks amazing, and it is 5 years older than GRID with the same 30fps framerate on base PS4, but looks just a whole generation superior.

Here's a comparision (not my video) of the same Barcelona track in GRID Autosport (2014) and GRID (2019):

Thanks for the heads about the mod, it's awesome. Have to adjust now because it feels a lot harder but there are a lot of nice improvements. Didn't even occur this me it would have mods, this is why I love PC gaming.

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
But what you are doing is pushing an agenda or a narrative, which is why you got banned in the first place.
I got banned for "spamming". I asked what exactly constitutes "spamming" but got no answer... so I assumed it was for posting too many images. My "narrative" is "GRID is a disappointment and a cash grab", I already said that, while other people's "narrative" is "GRID is awesome" "I love it" "9/10" etc... I think honest discussion is confronting these opinions with details to support the arguments on both sides, instead of "shut up, you are wrong!"...

Metacritic user scores are not valid because scores can be posted without playing the game... well, exactly like in this or any other forum. Plenty of people in the official forum said the game was "amazing" before they played it... there are plenty of Codemasters fanboys around, in Steam too, with threads like "I LOVE YOU CODEMASTERS" "best racing game ever made!" etc.

The thing is... why is Race Driver GRID's score 7.9 but GRID's a 4.6? it just so happens that there are haters that haven't played the game that go precisely after GRID for some unknown reason?

Thanks for the heads about the mod, it's awesome. Have to adjust now because it feels a lot harder but there are a lot of nice improvements. Didn't even occur this me it would have mods, this is why I love PC gaming.

Enjoy. It was the result of me not liking how arcade the game was and lacking interior views. I started doing another BayetasMod for GRID Autosport, but never got to finish it. Too many cars, too many tracks... lol

Last edited:

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
So easy to get PIT maneuvered in this game, even by non nemesis cars. Okutama is the worst track for this, especially with cars that don't handle well.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Well I certainly don't have a narrative to push simply because I think the actual racing is really fun.

Trust me, there are ton of odd design choices I really don't care for.-
Stuff like the UI/menu system, the barebones career being just a wall of races, no sponsorship or team other than a co-driver, a lack of a cohesive garage, the rent only one specific car for freeplay, etc.
They created a lot of unlockable pictures/banners whatever to keep a player going instead of fleshing out the career more. Seems following the first Grid's career would have been an easy home run. Here's hoping for more DLC tracks in the future, it's thin on content when you really dig in. Three nights and I was done with the career paths I was really interested in.

But it has some GT cars I love and some creative tracks and lighting so it's fun pick up and play which will compliment my usual GT Sport, Dirt Rally 2.0 and MotoGP.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Here was i thinking they weren't communicating with the community and then some feedback

Hey all,
Thanks once again for all of your feedback so far on GRID, which has helped us already centre in on some topics and areas to investigate and address.
A quick update I can give you is that the first patch is already in the works, and we're working hard to see what community-driven feedback can be included in there. Before that though, we'll be looking to implement a 'hotfix' of sorts for a few other things we're working on.
So TL;DR - patch on the way soon. Hotfix on the way even sooner. All details will be with you when they're confirmed.

Thank you 🙂

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Shanghai at night is absolutely gorgeous!
Add in a bit of rain and its even more prettier.

Driving in above scenario, at full speed, is almost mesmerizing.
i say 'almost' because cars on that track go so damn quick, you dont even have time to be mesmerized lol

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Played and refunded after an hour. I've loved every GRID game but I hated that Autosport didn't allow you to create your own team and live that cool underdog story. Even in F1 2019 it's amazing to begin with something like Williams and improve your car every race.

GRID was great because those systems were pretty well implemented and managed to make it feel like a journey. I felt this will be missing in this one since the "campaign" is just a list of events with no sponsor unlocks and stuff like that. Correct me if I'm wrong but that narrative here is missing.

Everything else was great from my short experience but it's missing what makes GRID 1&2 amazing for me. Might pick it up when heavily discounted as it feels a very low effort entry.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
How is this as an arcade racer. I loved PGR and Driveclub. Is it closer to sim or arcade?

For sure Arcade... I do not play this as a sim at all personally. If you enjoy PGR type games then I think you would enjoy it for what it is BUT do not expect a wide variety of cars / tracks or type of events. So if PGR is your type of racer then yes you certainly would enjoy this game. But keep in mind PGR2 online multiplayer on the original Xbox blows the online of this away..

Nov 30, 2017
For sure Arcade... I do not play this as a sim at all personally. If you enjoy PGR type games then I think you would enjoy it for what it is BUT do not expect a wide variety of cars / tracks or type of events. So if PGR is your type of racer then yes you certainly would enjoy this game. But keep in mind PGR2 online multiplayer on the original Xbox blows the online of this away..

Thanks. I think ill get it Friday, I dont really care for pure sim too much and Im getting the itch for a good racer. Its been a while.

I just got done watching some footage and it looks great.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
It's really fun. The racing is really solid. The career is a bit of a bummer, it's just a wall of events. And the track list is small, but there's plenty of time of day/rain options to keep it interesting graphically.

I'm really enjoying it. It's a shame they didn't use or expand the career from the first, but the actual racing is really fun.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
For those interested, our reviewcast has went live for the game. Starts around 13 minute mark... Here. Simply put, the game's gameplay is pretty good but pretty much everything else about the game is borderline unacceptable in terms of features and content. I look forward to seeing the game grow but it is not worth the asking price as it stands, as far as I'm concerned.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
PSA to all Xbox players, do NOT update this game to version 1.1. It renders the game unplayable. If the game wasn't dead enough already, sigh...
Yeh huge oversight. I expect it to be fixed over the next 3 hrs, unless they stay overnight at the offices. Still, should never have happened in the first place.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The new update renders the game unopenable on the Xbox version. Goes back to the dashboard after the splash screen. As mentioned, I'm sure it will be fixed in the next few hrs, but shouldn't have happened in the first place.
That's pretty awful. I'll hold off playing for now then as my system auto updates :(

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
They will be announcing the new track for the first season of DLC (the track will be free for all players) this Thursday. It is rumoured to be Yas Marina as data for that track was added with the patch released today.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
They will be announcing the new track for the first season of DLC (the track will be free for all players) this Thursday. It is rumoured to be Yas Marina as data for that track was added with the patch released today.
Cool! great track, lots of layouts possible.
Hopefully they'll also announce when the first DLC season will start.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Just played for the first time since yesterdays update.
They have fixed the headlight bug and the car selection bug.
I noticed Hard difficulty is quite a bit harder now (which is a good thing imo)
And they seem to have increased the credit earnings in career.
And i think they might have adjusted the volume of the announcers, both pre-race and the circuit speaker. they are very low on volume now, and even with the ingame audio set to max, they are hard to hear...