• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
I think I prefer Grid 2's pure arcade handling compared to Autosport.
Yeah, I haven't played this since release, but I seem to remember Autosport being more of a shift towards the Forza motorsport side of things. That combined with the release on ps3/xbox360 after the xbox one/ps4 released meant it just didn't get the same exposure and sales, which is unfortunate. There was a good opportunity on the newer consoles especially since there was no GT at launch and Forza 5 was a mess.

It seems like Turn 10 had similar issues to codemasters in terms of quality/content a little while back, but they've made it through, so hopefully codemasters will come around too.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Would you complain if they said they need to charge $70 or $80 for their next game? You probably would, yet that's what might be necessary for them to make a profitable GRID game in 2019. So they have to find alternative ways to make up some of that difference.

You call that fleecing, but I recognize it as just the way things have to be. Racing games like the ones Codemasters makes are just not selling what they used to.

Doesn't mean its the right thing to do for their customers. if you can't make the game good without cutting corners then don't make the game. I'm sure all the previous fans are so glad they took massive cuts and produced a sub par game while charging the same they did for a much better game many years ago.

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
You know it's bad when this video has to exist, christ. I'm hearing really bad things about the base PS4 version but I don't know how exaggerated they are...
I've been looking forward to this since it's announcement and had it pre-ordered since May but cancelled just two days before my Ultimate edition shipped.Things were feeling off about the base versions and I'm on base PS4 so I was getting nervous.
I'm not a graphics guy really but this game is looking sub-par even to me......perhaps I've been spoiled by playing so much Driveclub this gen but I was expecting a lot better,won't be bothering with this now.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Yeah, I haven't played this since release, but I seem to remember Autosport being more of a shift towards the Forza motorsport side of things. That combined with the release on ps3/xbox360 after the xbox one/ps4 released meant it just didn't get the same exposure and sales, which is unfortunate. There was a good opportunity on the newer consoles especially since there was no GT at launch and Forza 5 was a mess.

It seems like Turn 10 had similar issues to codemasters in terms of quality/content a little while back, but they've made it through, so hopefully codemasters will come around too.

Autosport had a thematic/focus shift towards the likes of Forza. But the handling model was still very firmly in arcade territory.

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. The day of general release, and this thread is dead as a doornail, dead dead. I played for a couple hours earlier on Xbox One X. I really like it. I'm a sucker for arcade racing games though. It is pretty confusing, like they don't explain anything to you. Teammates? How to hire them, and why? There's no tutorial. I saw a popup about pressing a directional button to activate your teammate for something, but it went by so quick I have no idea. The garage doesn't sort by cars you actually own, it's just a list of all the cars in some sort of order? It is so strange.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see how it performs on the UK charts. Have a feeling this will be a bit of a flop for Codemasters.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. The day of general release, and this thread is dead as a doornail, dead dead. I played for a couple hours earlier on Xbox One X. I really like it. I'm a sucker for arcade racing games though. It is pretty confusing, like they don't explain anything to you. Teammates? How to hire them, and why? There's no tutorial. I saw a popup about pressing a directional button to activate your teammate for something, but it went by so quick I have no idea. The garage doesn't sort by cars you actually own, it's just a list of all the cars in some sort of order? It is so strange.
Press up on the dpad to tell your teammate to push (attack), press down to tell them to hold (defend)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Will be interesting to see how it performs on the UK charts. Have a feeling this will be a bit of a flop for Codemasters.

I think it will be a huge flop. The steam activity numbers are pretty bad.

Autosport wasn't very successful and that had a peak of ~3500 concurrent players when it released.

These games depend a lot on the word of mouth as well and grid 2019's has been pretty negative. I genuinely fear for codemasters' future. They've made several mis steps recently (this, dirt 4, onrush) and the market for these types of games is shrinking as is.

Azzawon

Oct 25, 2017
Scunthorpe, UK
That is very true. No bloat for sure, I just wish I knew what the heck is going on with teammates and what they mean, and also where is the list of cars I own?
The UI design is very questionable too, with a lot of strange design choices. There's so many events in Career where you can't make out what class the event is - the classes are in white, and displayed on a white background a lot of the time. Browsing through the player profile banners is a chore too - why couldn't they itemise these into three columns like the profile backgrounds? Some of the accolade icons don't even match the car class that they're linked to - the amount of times I've won an accolade in TC2 and seen a picture of the Alfa Romeo touring car is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Press up on the dpad to tell your teammate to push (attack), press down to tell them to hold (defend)

There's no more options for the teammate? They didn´t explain anything in the first 3 races of the tutorial lol

In Autosport you could change with the bumpers from defending to being more aggressive.

Played about 2h of the game, it has some issues from Autosport where contact between cars usually ends up with one of them in reverse or the car swerves to one side.

Menus are better than Autosport but the cars in each class should be better explained in the menus (same issue from AS).

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wow. The day of general release, and this thread is dead as a doornail, dead dead.
I still remember the DiRT 4 OT activity. There was a LOT more going on than there is here for GRID and that DiRT 4 tanked super bad comercially. 35k steam copies in the first week or so iirc? Codies had talked about DLC plans for that before release; didn't come to that, they never made any DLC for DiRT 4.

I also think that Codemasters biggest successes DiRT 2 and og GRID came at a time when the average gamer didn't distinguish between arcade racer and sim. It was just assumed that you can't make realistic car behavior, so racing game gameplay was basically a style choice with the immersive-realistic and awesome-fun as the big scales they were judged on. Meaning GRID and DiRT 2 were in the same market as Need For Speed, Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport (except, at least for me, Forza only really became a big player from FM3 onward), but at the time, there was only GT5 Prologue and Xbox and PC didn't have anything really mainstream big.
Nowadays Forza is on PC, there is the more fun-leaning Forza Horizon too, on PS4 GTS, NFS and the sim'ier games like Assetto Corsa and Project CARS 2 are there too.

Codemasters strategies were actually pretty smart, if you ask me after Grid 2 was their first big, big failure:
- learn your lesson from the failures of Grid 2 (no cockpit cams, too arcady compared to what the mainstream wanted at the time), make a successor with minimal effort to try and get the GRID fans on board again: GRID Autosport [=>problem was, it was a last-gen game when the people who buy more than 2-3 games a year had caught on the next-gen very quickly in 2014)
- try to survive as a studio by going back to your roots and into a niche but thirsty hardcore market - make a sim-like barebones hardcore rally game (of which there were zero on the market back at the time): DiRT Rally [=>big success]
- learn from the problems that many players had with DiRT Rally - a) it was too hard for most players, b) it had too few courses for the hardcore. So make a rally game that a) was sim and had a beginner/arcadier handling mode too and b) had randomly generated tracks: DiRT 4 [huge failure, the track generator was extremely repetitive after even 6h of play, the sim mode was unrealistically not-hardcore, not oversteery enough and nobody was interested in the beginner mode in terms of buying incentive, because nobody buys a game to play on "loser mode"]
- learn your lesson from DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 - (1) people don't want to hear of feel that they are not good at driving and (2) the hardcore market is too niche to raise the studio back up to former glory at early PS3/X360 times. So, divide your attention, (2) make a hardcore rally game, that is for the hardcore but at a budget that the studio can turn a good profit on from the fairly small market (also sell reused assets as DLC); (1) try make a super inventive arcade driving game that doesn't depend on good racing skills to be fun: Onrush [=>Onrush had good reviews but there was no market and especially no market at that price point, also user opinions were kinda mixed and no fantastic word of mouth meant that even big sales weren't working either]
- be realistic about the size of the market and shut down the Onrush division. New idea... nope, all strategy used up, maybe hope that it's been long enough and people want to play GRID again... with not realistic but fun handling and good atmosphere... the things that made the first GRID and DiRT 2 awesome: GRID (2019)

To be honest, I would run out of ideas too. They have DiRT Rally and the F1 games and those turn a small survivable profit that can be repeated as often as they like (unless the WRC games now it DiRT Rally's breakfast, most reviewers seemed to think WRC8 is a better game than DR2), but beyond that, they just don't stand a chance in the current market. Maybe they could make a next-gen day1 graphic showpiece that would sell well? No, I even doubt that... Xbox will have a Forza 8 day1 probably and Playstation will have learned from their mistakes and have a GT7 in the first year with just reused assets from GTS, but with dynamic weather and ToD and 500+ cars and ray-traced lighting conditions and maybe new VR capabilities.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'm liking a lot about this game and I think some of the criticisms have been hyperbolic after having spent a few hours with it.

I think it's a gorgeous game most of the time (PS4 Pro). I love the polygonal crowds and general atmosphere around each track. The lighting at certain times of day is striking and super colorful in HDR. I even like the way you can hear the commentary on the race over the PA system at various points on certain tracks.

The career mode is quite simple, but I didn't really expect more than that, nor do I really desire it. It is odd how the teammate aspect is never explained, and it does feel largely superfluous. I wouldn't care one bit if it was gone.

I'm a huge fan of the first GRID and how it felt to play on a controller. This new game doesn't feel quite right with the default settings, but after a few tweaks I got it feeling very similar to the original. I recommend taking traction control down to 1 and stability control down to 3. I also changed steering linearity to 5.

I've really got two complaints right now that I want to see addressed. 1) The follow cam will pull out suddenly if a car gets very close to your tail, which is incredibly annoying and should never happen. 2) The difficulty tuning can be all over the place. On medium every race is easy to win. On hard some races are easy and others are very hard. This definitely needs to be smoothed out.

If those two things are addressed I'm going to be very pleased with the package here.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Grid 2 is pretty damn good, the city tracks almost give me a Project Gotham vibe. They should have put some weather in the game and released this on console at 4K60 for $30 and called it a day.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I treated myself to the Ulimate Edition but it was difficult to find in physical form. Just played the first few races but it looks stunning on X
especially with HDR. Also, wide color gamut support really makes colors pop. Eurogamer's review sold me on this and Im a sucker for arcade racers. Hopefully NFS Heat will deliver more arcade action.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How's the cockpit view in the new Grid? It's awful in Autosport and Grid 2 straight up doesn't have one.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
This game's presentation is definitely budget. Actually reminds me of another clearly budget game I bought a few yrs ago, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, almost identical UI design with the rectangles. However, the racing in this game is pretty damn fun. The cars almost feel too big for the tracks at times which makes smashing into other cars inevitable. The Nemesis system might need a bit of tweaking, half the cars are my nemesis before the end of the first lap, often unintentionally.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how to feel about this game. The actual racing is very, very good. I loved the original GRID, but ended up hating GRID 2 due to it's more aggressive AI.
I'm liking a lot about this one (most of the time), but it feels too barebones.
Just tried to play online and the game didn't synced properly and thowing the player in a random race without being able to filter anything is just absurd. In 30 minutes or more I had 2 good races.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
The Zhejiang Circuit is surprisingly quite technical. Would actually be interesting to see in a game like GTS.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
I'm liking a lot about this game and I think some of the criticisms have been hyperbolic after having spent a few hours with it.

I think it's a gorgeous game most of the time (PS4 Pro). I love the polygonal crowds and general atmosphere around each track. The lighting at certain times of day is striking and super colorful in HDR. I even like the way you can hear the commentary on the race over the PA system at various points on certain tracks.

The career mode is quite simple, but I didn't really expect more than that, nor do I really desire it. It is odd how the teammate aspect is never explained, and it does feel largely superfluous. I wouldn't care one bit if it was gone.

I'm a huge fan of the first GRID and how it felt to play on a controller. This new game doesn't feel quite right with the default settings, but after a few tweaks I got it feeling very similar to the original. I recommend taking traction control down to 1 and stability control down to 3. I also changed steering linearity to 5.

I've really got two complaints right now that I want to see addressed. 1) The follow cam will pull out suddenly if a car gets very close to your tail, which is incredibly annoying and should never happen. 2) The difficulty tuning can be all over the place. On medium every race is easy to win. On hard some races are easy and others are very hard. This definitely needs to be smoothed out.

If those two things are addressed I'm going to be very pleased with the package here.

Yeah game is super colorful indeed. lighting is superb. also the cars itself, the track and the things around the track are really colorful, the colors really pop.

I reccomend Traction Control on 0, same goes for Stability Control. This gives you way more feeling of what the car is doing.

about your complaint number 2; i think we need a more tougher setting than Very Hard. For me, both Hard and Very Hard are way to easy. Starting from the back (no qualifying on purpose) its waaaay to easy to get in first place in just a couple of laps

FukuDaruma

Oct 2, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Repeatedly spamming similar content after being warned not to
Guess the game from 2019 and the one from 2014...

image.thumb.png.4369aa33133484bdc6919b0b3f8b7a6a.png

image.thumb.png.bf78e22f622713cfbfb72e734b20c369.png

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Guess the game from 2019 and the one from 2014...

image.thumb.png.4369aa33133484bdc6919b0b3f8b7a6a.png

image.thumb.png.bf78e22f622713cfbfb72e734b20c369.png
Having now played this game I can safely say this game looks much better than your selectively chosen tree shots would have one believe. There are moments where this looks like the prettiest racing game I've ever played, and I've played many of them on a 4K tv.

You do you though.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Grid 2 looking so good and running so well at 4K60 kind of hurts the value proposition of this game, its unfortunate for the developers. The funny thing is the old games holding up so well has made me more interested in 2019 but I'll have to wait for a discount and some patches perhaps. By then I should be done with Grid 2 as well.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, are you STILL doing this...??
By now, i guess we all know you have a thing against GRID 2019.

FYI, the actual game looks nothing like the images you've posted.

It is a bit obnoxious but those are actual pictures from the game lol
the lighting genuinely feels like a downgrade from Autosport in a lot of environments. Sometimes it looks really good, other times it looks like a game from last gen.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
God I'm an idiot.

I wasn't getting the VIP rewards etc. I redeemed the code for the Ultimate edition but didn't install the VIP package on the Xbox itself.

Do'h.

Also started with the V8 Supercars. After the ease of the TC-2 Touring Cars, these kick you off the track for so much as thinking of braking incorrectly.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I could not resist buying it Friday knowing that I could always sell it again. Playing on Xbox one X on a 55 inch 4k HDR tv.

After putting the steering sensitivity to 100 is it actually a pretty enjoyable experience.
The tracks have a nice flow to them and the sense of speed is very good. Graphics are a little mixed. Sometimes very good and sometimes poor.
Somehow it is not that important because of the action on the track. Framerate does suffer on some moments. mostly with a full pack going to through the first slow corner. After that the cars spread out and everything is fine.

The career reminds me a lot of Driveclub. Just a set of preset races,choose a car and off you go. You can still set up your car but I did not bother with it even once.

The nemesis system has not that much of an influence. Also the 400 different AI personalities is not something I really noticed. The overall AI is just very good. You definitely see some mistakes made by other drivers and crashes happening but it does not feel scripted.

This is a very fun game if you are just after some action packed racing without having to bother going through all kinds of complicated screens.
It really reminds me of Old arcade cabinets.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Just been playing Grid 2 on PC. Still looks gorgeous. It does have two flaws though - no cockpit views of any kind, and Codies really leaned heavily into hideous chromatic aberration as a design feature.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just been playing Grid 2 on PC. Still looks gorgeous. It does have two flaws though - no cockpit views of any kind, and Codies really leaned heavily into hideous chromatic aberration as a design feature.

Also no weather. They went overboard with the lens flare and CA for sure but still looks damn amazing to me.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, are you STILL doing this...??
By now, i guess we all know you have a thing against GRID 2019.

FYI, the actual game looks nothing like the images you've posted.
To be honest after checking many videos, images and user reviews it's hard to disagree with the person who got banned. He went a bit overboard with repeating his opinion again and again, but can't say he/she was wrong.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
To be honest after checking many videos, images and user reviews it's hard to disagree with the person who got banned. He went a bit overboard with repeating his opinion again and again, but can't say he/she was wrong.

In my honest opinion, its not very hard to disagree with him/her.
I've been playing the game since last Tuesday, and i have yet to see a track and/or lighting combination which looks bad or last-gen.
I actually think its a good looking game with a lot of atmosphere and with colors that POP.
But to each their own i guess.
I, for one, am really enjoying this game

For what its worth, i am playing on PS4 Pro on a calibrated 4K OLED with HDR.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
What track is that a few posts above? I haven't see anything looking like that so far. I'll run GA and G'19 side by side maxed settings and take a look.

Oct 29, 2017
Just been playing random races in career, and it's fun.

Question though, since the game hasn't told me anything. What is the "Grid World Series" and what are the "seasons" that came in the ultimate edition? Am I in a "season" right now? What does it mean? Thanks!

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Just been playing random races in career, and it's fun.

Question though, since the game hasn't told me anything. What is the "Grid World Series" and what are the "seasons" that came in the ultimate edition? Am I in a "season" right now? What does it mean? Thanks!

The GRID World Series is the Career mode, where you will need to complete events in each category to enter the Showdown Event for that category.
Earn atleast 4 of those Showdowns and you're in the World Series Finals.

A season is a time period in which the DLC will come out. AFAIK dates for these arent released yet.
What i do know is the Ultimate Edition will gives us 3 seasons worth of DLC, and that those 3 seasons will span atleast 6 months

Oct 29, 2017
The GRID World Series is the Career mode, where you will need to complete events in each category to enter the Showdown Event for that category.
Earn atleast 4 of those Showdowns and you're in the World Series Finals.

A season is a time period in which the DLC will come out. AFAIK dates for these arent released yet.
What i do know is the Ultimate Edition will gives us 3 seasons worth of DLC, and that those 3 seasons will span atleast 6 months

Thank you! I think I'm all squared away now haha!

Azzawon

Oct 25, 2017
Scunthorpe, UK
I treated myself to the Ulimate Edition but it was difficult to find in physical form. Just played the first few races but it looks stunning on X
especially with HDR. Also, wide color gamut support really makes colors pop. Eurogamer's review sold me on this and Im a sucker for arcade racers. Hopefully NFS Heat will deliver more arcade action.
I'm getting the opposite experience with HDR. There needs to be some form of HDR calibration, because the enormous amount of glare in this game combined with too-bright HDR means my screen is almost entirely white whenever I'm driving in the sun's direction.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting the opposite experience with HDR. There needs to be some form of HDR calibration, because the enormous amount of glare in this game combined with too-bright HDR means my screen is almost entirely white whenever I'm driving in the sun's direction.
What display do you have? There's is a brightness setting that you can experiment with. Im on a pro calibrated C9.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Having played the game for hours on a 4K tv with HDR I can confidently say those pics are like those guys who take the picture of a gorgeous woman and zoom in to point out the flaws on her toes. This game looks incredible most of the time. Don't let bad screenshots and compressed YouTube videos captured in various ways steer your opinion like this.

Please watch this video from the PS4 Pro version and come back and tell me how ugly this game is.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Been that way for a while.

The original doesn't even have a store page anymore.

I never noticed because I already owned the game. Why is Autosport still up? Isn't that the same age or older? Must be some licensing issues with Grid 2.

It's kind of confusing to have Grid 2019 and Autosport at the same time.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
The career mode definitely hit a bit of a repetition slump a couple of hours into it, but I find myself going back to it daily for 1-2 hours and loving it. They actually do a really good job of mixing in different layouts with different car classes to make it interesting once you get to the middle parts of the career. I tried a bit of multiplayer too, and had a great time, similar to forza it is all about making it through that first lap chaos, but I actually had some great races so far (and I'm not usually a fan of multiplayer).

I'd highly recommend this game for someone looking for an arcade racing fix. As others have said, this might be the best arcade racing game with a wheel, in terms of how good it feels to play with wheel (just note you need to crank the force feedback and tweak things a bit).