• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Just completed it. Beautiful and astoundingly sounding bad game. Not challenging at all, boring yet frequently frustrating. Again, I don't have anything bad to say about the visuals and the sound design, those are unbelievable. But I'm glad it was over quick. They should've made an animated movie instead.
If you want an example on how to make such a game, look at recently released Wandersong.

Oct 27, 2017
A short behind the scenes discussion with the developers of the game. Worth a watch imo

The visuals combined with the soundtrack are just...next level.

I had intense full body CHILLS from the intro alone and one other moment soon after that was just so incredibly beautiful that it happened again.
Btw, here is a live performance by the band behing this game's soundtrack:

The main artist behind this is Conrad Roset. Ive followed him for a long time on instagram. If you enjoy the art in this, check out his other work.
From the OP and reading through the thread, this looks/sounds pretty amazing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not done with it yet, but annoyed with some of the design/readability on certain things. Gorgeous though, without a doubt.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it in one sitting tonight and absolutely loved it. It starts out a little slow, but after that first section every other sequence was really great. Now I need to go buy that soundtrack...

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game auto saving? I assume it is, but I see no save option and I'm afraid to hit quit lol.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Debating between Switch and PC, where did y'all pick it up?

Thinking maybe PC now, and if I love it - physical for the Switch if LRG ends up doing something.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Debating between Switch and PC, where did y'all pick it up?

Thinking maybe PC now, and if I love it - physical for the Switch if LRG ends up doing something.
Review I watched last night said docked is the way to go on Switch due to it looking so good in the TV and with the headphones on, that's how I'm playing at the moment and have to agree

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed it. Beautiful and astoundingly sounding bad game. Not challenging at all, boring yet frequently frustrating. Again, I don't have anything bad to say about the visuals and the sound design, those are unbelievable. But I'm glad it was over quick. They should've made an animated movie instead.
If you want an example on how to make such a game, look at recently released Wandersong.

To be fair, it sounds like you probably hated Journey and Abzu as well. These kinds of games aren't about the gameplay itself, but the story being woven through the sound and visuals, and the emotional response they invoke in the player.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I think I'll pass on this as the early impressions make this out to be yet another artsy game that's lacking in the gameplay department. I liked Journey to some extent but right now I feel like playing something with a bit more substance.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
LWGIIyi.gif

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
To be fair, it sounds like you probably hated Journey and Abzu as well. These kinds of games aren't about the gameplay itself, but the story being woven through the sound and visuals, and the emotional response they invoke in the player.
I didn't play Journey or Abzu, but I loved games like The Gardens Between, Monument Valley or others. GRIS is very poor paced in comparison.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
How long is this taking everyone to complete? I'd like to go through it in one sitting but want to make sure I block out enough time.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
How long is this taking everyone to complete? I'd like to go through it in one sitting but want to make sure I block out enough time.

I didn't track my playthrough, but i'm pretty sure it takes longer to watch 2001 Space Odyssey than finishing this game, so i think it took around 2h30. It's was worth though.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played about an hour more today. Will probably let it sit with me and play some more tomorrow.

Really loved the forest part. so, so beautiful. Finger always near that screenshot button, man.

Also really glad to see it at 6 on the Canadian (which I think is different from the US?) Eshop download only best sellers list.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This game is absolutely stunning. I played through it last night and couldn't help marvel at the art and sound design. It really demands your attention, and is something that should be experienced by everyone. I don't know if I love it as a game, as mechanically it is rather shallow, only really pulling together all the mechanics and abilities you've learned in the final two chapters after several chapters that felt like they asked you to grab one too many things, and the visual metaphors for the process of grief and loss were a bit tired, but those criticisms are rather minor when you sit back and admire the design of Gris. That it moves effortlessly from grand scale set pieces to smaller, more composed moments which isolate Gris in the world she inhabits is a remarkable achievement in game animation.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Best block boy. One of those moments where you see someone for the first time, point at them and go"we're gonna be friiiiends."

This has some of the most striking images I've seen in games, absolutely loving it so far. Music and sound design are fantastic as well, great game for headphones.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Just finished it myself. This is going to stick with me for a long time, incredible game. It's the kind of life-affirming beauty that makes games worthwhile.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Credits rolling. Loved it, pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be.

I found maybe 3/4 of the collectibles, but I didn't come across any of the non-automatic challenges until "Stage 5: Acceptance" at the very end. Kind of mixed feelings about it. It was kind of cool to have that referenced at very end since I gradually started to reach that same kind of notion over the course of the game, but I kind of wish they didn't come out and directly say "hey it's the stages of grief." Maybe at least using some other "indirect" kind of reference as the challenge title? I dunno. But yeah, it's a tiny nitpick, and it didn't at all lessen the impact of the finale for me.

I was very mildly frustrated at some of the more "setpiecey" moments being somewhat on-rails, but I appreciate how they went out of their way to make sure the game didn't have any fail states or "fade to black and fade in at the last checkpoint" moments ruining the game's flow.

Man, this was really good. I've had a rotten f'ing week and it was nice to play through this as my transition into a couple weeks off work.

Oct 27, 2017
Adrian and Roger (see also this section of the Behind the Scenes video) just did a Reddit AMA (Q&A) here. Some excerpts from the AMA:
Question: We have one question, how was the process of creating the artwork for the game? Your videogame has one of the most powerful artstyles out there and it's interesting to know how the process was developed, from conceptualization to hard inking work.
Answer: We moved pretty quickly from concept to ingame, as the game looks almost the same as the concepts Conrad did on Photoshop. Animation wise, you have an example here of the process:

Q: I'm a beginner game developer and my girlfriend is a visual artist that works with watercolor. We've been trying to make games with her paintings for some time now, but it always looks weird - it loses definition, contrast and the paper texture always disappear. Do you have any tips on how to better incorporate watercolor correctly when making games? How hard would you say the process was for you?
A: We scanned waterclors and programmed a Multiply and Screen shader so they would blend well with the world. On top of that, we have a paper effect that cycles randomly over everything to give it that handcrafted look. The rest of the assets were drawn digitally, but still incorporated those scanned watercolors.

Q: Gris really stands out to me visually for a specific reason. A lot of 2D games these days have a visual style I can only describe as "Flash-y," i.e. they look like they were animated in Flash (static limb pieces that slide around, lots of tweening, more like paper dolls than actual animation). Gris is animated by hand, right? Why don't more game makers do this? Is it a cost thing? What are some of the challenges you've faced with this style?
A: You are correct! Lot of 2D games nowadays use tools like Spine to animate 2D easily using 3D techniques like bones and blending. It is way more costly and time consuming to do frame by frame (you are right, GRIS is animated like that), but we feel the results are worth it. The biggest challenge was making sure we didn't overload the graphic memory on low end PCs, as each frame take memory space!

Q: I would love to see some Early concept art, and what was your first idea for making the game and how it "Evolved" into the Final game.
A: We have a lot of concept art that will be in the book. Here you can see some examples:

Q: This game is so stunning. What were some of your inspirations for the music?
A: Anything from Michiru Ōshima! (the composer from Ico). In our eyes it's one of the best soundtracks in a videogame :)

Q: I was curious as to whether the music was composed for the levels and gameplay or if the gameplay was designed around the music; it's very unusual to find a game where both the music and the visuals are so perfectly in sync, so completely complimentary.
A: Berlinist (the talented band who did the music) was with us from since day one. We knew that to deliver an experience where art, gameplay and music go hand in hand they needed to be involved since the beginning. It has been a two way relationship, they influenced the gameplay at a times, and they adjusted the music to the levels. It was a matter of iterating a lot!

Q: I really like the artstyle from the looks of the trailer. Can you tell me more about the art design and designers?
A: Conrad Roset is the art director of the game ( @conradroset ). We also had Ari Cervello ( https://www.instagram.com/arivory/ ) and Alba Filella ( https://www.instagram.com/albafilella/ ) on the team working hand in hand with him. None of them have worked on video games before, which brought a fresh look and feel on the final art!

Q: I've seen so much buzz and excitement for this game from artists that I follow on Instagram. Was it a conscious decision to try and work with that community through things like the poster design contest, or just something that developed naturally? The game looks amazing btw, I'm getting it for a friend for Christmas :)
A: A bit of both! We knew that our game would appeal to the art community, so we contacted some artists to do their own version of Gris and help us with the promotion. You can see their work here: www.nomada.studio/shop. We are very thankful for their support and the reception from the art community!

Q: I just want to know if you have any plains of doing a Metroidvania with this type of art and mechanics, it will be so dope. Congratulations for the game, it was a masterpiece.
A: Actually the initial ideas of GRIS where aimed towards a metroidvania game, but we felt it wasn't accessible enough so we went for a more linear experience. Who knows in the future! ;)
Q: I saw the trailer and it looks gorgeous. What is it about and what does gameplay revolve around?
A: Gameplay wise, think of it of a mix between INSIDE and Journey. Where art and music work together to create an accessible and enjoyable experience. We hope you to try it!
Q: Games that exist primarily to tell a story through interesting set-pieces and a strong musical score but then have very little "real gameplay" (e.g. INSIDE, Journey, etc) have never really done much for me, so I'm trying to gauge if GRIS is one of those titles. This is not a knock against "games as art" or anything, it's just never really been a genre I've enjoyed.
A: If you didn't enjoy games like INSIDE or Journey, we are not sure GRIS will be your cup of tea. In our opinion they're two masterpieces and were a big influence for us when developing the game. We obviously still invite you to try it! maybe you will find something you didn't expect and change your opinion on this type of games :)
Q:Are there games you got inspired by that drastically changed decisions by creating this game? And what games were the core inspiration for GRIS? Thanks!
A: We didn't really change the core concepts of the game from the original idea. Journey was one of our biggest inspirations, it's a game that we love and admire. While developing the game, INSIDE came out and it was reassuring to know that this genre was appreciated. Another incredible game everyone should play.

Conrad Roset (the Creative Director and main artist) wasn't part of the AMA, but he was part of the Behind the Scenes video (see the section starting here).
Nice to see it's being received so well.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just wrapped it all up. Overall, wonderful experience, however like Limbo, Inside, Flower,Journey and Bound, it's just not gamey enough for my liking. It works wonders as a beautiful interactive animation and in the future I'm going to have non gamers play through it as I don't find the puzzle elements to be too difficult for them to wrap their heads around. Except perhaps the final chapter, I may need to help them with some of that. Really awesome for what it sets out to accomplish. Just not necessarily for everyone.

Last edited:

wubbyz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to sound like a dick but does this game ever get fun? I'm like an hour in. I buy everything that Devolver publishes but idk if this one is for me.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to sound like a dick but does this game ever get fun? I'm like an hour in. I buy everything that Devolver publishes but idk if this one is for me.
If after an hour you aren't yet getting anything from it, you probably won't. It's not really about "fun" in a gameplay sense, but more taking in everything around you as you move through it.

wubbyz

Oct 27, 2017
I see. Kind of weird because I usually do like those kind of short visual experiences but something about this one just isn't clicking for me.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Buy this damn game people! Journey fans get in here! Bravo to Nomada Studio and Devolver. Beautiful experience. Thank you.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I am stuck at a puzzle ;_; I feel ashamed.
i am at a Giant windmill and I've to push down a metal piece to connect to another, but I am not heavy enough >.>... help?

Aaaah I found it lol. Never mind