• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The actual name is in full caps, published by Taito.

US link:

■Rhythm Game x Roller Coaster!!!!
Ride a roller coaster of sound with simple controls, and get grooving in this exhilarating rhythm game!

■Exhilarating active controls!!!!
With Active Controls, you can play by shaking the Joy-Con controllers. Experience the groove in a variety of songs, only possible on Nintendo Switch!
You can also play with Standard Controls, using the buttons and control sticks!

■Groove together!!!!
Play together with up to 4 friends and family members in Play With Others mode!
In this mode you can choose from two types of play. In Casual Versus, players of any ability level can enjoy the game together, and in Hardcore Versus, players compete to show off their true skill!

■A huge line-up of popular music!!!!
A massive line-up of music, featuring J-pop hits like "Lemon" and "U.S.A.," anime songs, Vocaloid and Touhou Project arrangements, as well as popular original songs from the Groove Coaster series!

■Choose from a fabulous cast of characters!!!!
Featuring characters from VTubers and Vocaloid, to the Touhou series and more! These characters will feature in songs, as avatars and game navigators, and appear throughout various scenes!
You can even switch to the vocals of guest VTubers in certain songs!

Can't find the link on EU websites, but it's on the EU eshop.
Game released on 7/11 in Japan, and while it had no localization plans announced, that version already had english text (I believe it was digital only there too). It released at 6500JPY there (same price as here).

DLC packs (10 songs, navigators and avatars) available for 15€ each:
Undertale
Vocaloid pack 1
Touhou Project Arrangements Pack 1
Dempagumi.inc Pack

Here's the last JP trailer for the game, it's Groove Coaster but with vtubers and more modes (including multiplayer):

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
$60 is very steep for this, considering the game is $15 on Steam and has like 60 songs, while this has 100 (I think)

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Actually nevermind, they announced plans to release it in other regions just before it released in Japan:

Here's one of the vtubers in the game playing it

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
$60 is very steep for this, considering the game is $15 on Steam and has like 60 songs, while this has 100 (I think)
Problem is the Steam version is unplayable, it has crippling song calibration issues and requires you to have a wildly different setting for every song on every difficulty. It's why I'd be extremely cautious about buying this release until impressions are in.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa that's sudden. Also yeah that price doesn't scream impulse buy so I'll wait for impressions.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is the Steam version is unplayable, it has crippling song calibration issues and requires you to have a wildly different setting for every song on every difficulty. It's why I'd be extremely cautious about buying this release until impressions are in.

That might be why I was never able to do a thing with the game.

Nov 8, 2017
I love most music rhythm games, but having played both the Arcade and Android versions, Groove Coaster just doesn't really click with me. Beyond the basic levels, the patterns always felt wildly unpredictable and chaotic, causing me to feel like the only way to play well is through a decent amount of memorisation (in addition to the usual skill required for music rhythm games).

The price and only being on Switch isn't really swaying me either. I might jump in at €30 (or €40 if it ever gets a PS4 release).

Nov 18, 2017
maaan im so in the mood for a new rythm game but that waifu aesthetic is just too cringe for me, that price seals it. I wouldnt mind paying that much for a decent rythm game, but not for one id be too embaressed to show my friends.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Price is high AF but:
1) My closest Round1 is 400 miles away.
2) I love Groove Coaster

I guess Sam won't be delivering any packages tonight!

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know the full song list for this game? I've done like 20 searches and every result I get just says 30 of them then "and more!"

Would like to know all that it offers before I drop $60 on a digital-only game.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the full song list for this game? I've done like 20 searches and every result I get just says 30 of them then "and more!"

Would like to know all that it offers before I drop $60 on a digital-only game.

only have it in jp and can't comment on any removals in the loc version

ttFbrtu.png

SMrntYj.png

4Szfl9L.png

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is relevant to my interests. It has been a long time between Taiko and Miku.

Will wait for impressions but getting the audio/video delay down for handheld mode at least should be straightforward.

Does the tate mode allow you to turn it the direction the flipgrip supports?

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm interested, but that's way too rich for my blood for a rhythm, digital only game

I'll pick it up when it's <$20 like I did with Taiko (another rhythm, digital only game)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Ah fuck it. I'll probably pick it up + the Undertale DLC pack. I have it on Steam, but it's such a pain with controller support.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked playing the arcade version when in Japan a few years ago, but I dunno if the Switch version will carry that feeling over well. Plus I just bought Taiko (...and a decent amount of DLC, including Undertake) along with DJMax (and I haven't played that one yet) during the PSN sale in the past week or so, with the idea of getting back into some rhythm gaming through them, since it's been a while. And then I played maybe too much ranked Taiko within a couple days and burnt myself out a bit already.

So I'm definitely interested, but at $60 right after that... probably waiting, depending on how much I like the song list.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Groove coaster (1) on iOS when it came out, had to have dropped 30-40 on it by the time SQEX/Taito delisted it. Such a great game.

On my radar, though $60 is steep... need more time.

Oct 29, 2017
OK who has taken the plunge? Any reviews from the Japanese version when it came out, regarding input delay and/or calibration?

Oct 29, 2017
I did it, despite already owning Groove Coaster for Steam and all the DLC.

I am very happy with the purchase, put about an hour and a half into it so far. It's neat that there's missions, 300 of them that unlock things. I always felt a lack of progression in the Steam version, of course getting better and beating scores is a goal too, but these missions are making it more fun!

And TATE MODE! Woooo!

gc1.jpg

gc2.jpg

gc3.jpg

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it came over & cannot wait to get it, but $60 for a digital only game is a bit too much for me, even if I have a feeling I'll enjoy the game as the mobile version was one of the first games I got into when I finally got a smartphone. Will keep an eye for a sale.

Oct 29, 2017
So you earn GC coins every time you clear a song, and I kept thinking a "store" was going to open up eventually where you can spend them on stuff. Well, the GC coins are used to clear missions if you want. So if one of the 300 missions is too difficult, or you just want to get it over with, you spend the coins to clear it. Looks like there are 29 songs that are acquired through clearing missions.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching a streamer play lots of the songs in Hard and Master and it seems like the calibration is improved on the Switch version.

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
This is an awesome surprise, but at 60 I'll have to wait for a sale.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I find it strange that I can't take screenshots of my results screen.
So far I am loving the game though! It's my entry into groove coaster. Having a blast!

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I want this so bad, but $60 :(

$30 would have been insta-buy, at $40 I probably would have been pushed over the edge, but $60...

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
This is relevant to my interests. It has been a long time between Taiko and Miku.

Will wait for impressions but getting the audio/video delay down for handheld mode at least should be straightforward.

Does the tate mode allow you to turn it the direction the flipgrip supports?

Yes, the tate mode is flipgrip friendly!

PAULINK

Oct 28, 2017
Played a good 2 hours of this game, definitely worth $60 based on the amount of content alone. They really put a lot of effort into this port.