• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

We're excited to announce starting June 16 and extending through June 22, Grounded, Obsidian's upcoming survival adventure game, will officially roll out their flight for global players! You will now have an opportunity to play an early demo of Grounded through the Xbox Insider Program or through Steam Game Festival. The demo gives players a look at one day in the life of Grounded's single player campaign.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the look of this. Will certainly give the Steam demo a try. Despite how many games include resource gathering and crafting nowadays, this looks simple enough that it might just stand out for me.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Demo is SP focused btw. Full preview program of the game starts next month towards a 2021 release.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Single player and Steam. Cool. Will check it out, even if doesn't look like my type of game.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I shall check my insider hub in a bit then!

Game looks intriguing and most certainly worth the effort of trying.

Mar 18, 2020
Can't wait! I'm such a sucker for these types of games. I'm glad this is coming out after Fortnite turned into what it is now (not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but I was looking forward to what the game was before they turned it into a battle royale).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Despite being a single-player demo, there's a 30-minute session limit, apparently.

20200617013711_127km8.jpg

Edit: A mite killed me while uploading that screenshot. :(

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Ants are even more annoying in this game than in real life. Also, the movie you're thinking of right now is Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

Edit: Pro-tip: Pebbles will knock them out for about 5 seconds or so.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Ants are even more annoying in this game than in real life. Also, the movie you're thinking of right now is Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

Edit: Pro-tip: Pebbles will knock them out for about 5 seconds or so.
Scary thought, many people here wouldn't have been born, some for possibly up to a decade or more when that film was made.

It most definitely is a homage to that and I can't wait to get trying it later.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely the best way to do a game like this, could take a long time to get it up to release quality.

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
Gameplay looks good!

And after playing 30 minutes I understand why it will have an arachnophobia mode.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It actually seems kinda alright. I'm getting some stutters from time to time and it doesn't seem that different from other survival games, but the setting is a decent draw and there's a good focus on objectives to drive things forward, instead of the typical randomised survival game where you're meant to go make your own fun. At least things feel specific here.

Half an hour is not enough to really get into the experience though..

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Playing with my little girl.
Feels nice and smooth for us on the X and looks great too, (tho the HDR is busted).

Totally Hunny I shrunk the kids, it's totally a good thing.

We can't work out how to make a axe at all tho 😂

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Playing with my little girl.
Feels nice and smooth for us on the X and looks great too, (tho the HDR is busted).

Totally Hunny I shrunk the kids, it's totally a good thing.

We can't work out how to make a axe at all tho 😂
Gather plant fibre.
Go to analyzer.
Analyze plant fibre.
Learn to craft woven fibre
Craft woven fibre.
Collect pebblette and twig.
Craft axe.

It was a bit confusing for sure. Took me a bit to remember the analyzer.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this is third person, did not see the option for It. I still played it but that is kind of disappointing becuase when you pause it, it shows it in third person and it looks so much better in terms of the scale.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Please tell me this is third person, did not see the option for It. I still played it but that is kind of disappointing becuase when you pause it, it shows it in third person and it looks so much better in terms of the scale.

It should have a third person option in the final release. Not sure if it's in this demo.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

It should have a third person option in the final release. Not sure if it's in this demo.

It is, but setting it up is a pain in the ass. You need to go into options, controller, map buttons and map it as a secondary function by first pressing a on the right box and then putting in a prompt which won't always work. It took 5 minutes of trial and error (didn't effect clock thankfully) to map it to LB so that each time I brought up the item wheel I would exit into a new perspective.

UI and Controls were my only real issue with the demo. It needs serious tweaking.

Edit: Or just do what Klobrille suggests in tweet above. Much easier. I wish they had an easy to find controls list.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I've been playing this game a bit this morning, and hola it seems quite good so far. The visuals are actually pretty amazing (it kind of feels next-gen when maxed out), it feels polished, and they have done a pretty amazing job making you feel like you arein Honey I shrunk the Kids. In fact, this is probably exactly the game kids were dreaming of when that movie was originally made.

So far, loving it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
What's the objective and goal in this game? Specially in the single player

Here's a story trailer.
www.youtube.com

Grounded - Official Story Trailer

Obsidian Entertainment reveals an all new story trailer for Grounded, their upcoming survival adventure game. #ign #gaming #grounded

Otherwise, It's a survival game, so your whole goal is just to survive from what i can tell. But there seems to be all these mysterious little devices, and it seems someone is spying on the tiny world. It's obsidian, and I get the impression there is a fair bit of story to uncover, but so far it seems like they are leaving many of the game's mysteries up to you to discover.

Honestly, the game is a bit confusing at first, but onc eyou get the hang of it, it's awesome. I could see the Minecraft crowd eating this up, especially if they make it a bit clearer how you craft, and ease you in a bit better.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Here are some pics I just snapped:

VmpKXXn.jpg

Qmz2DPT.jpg

S8qwXbg.jpg

eHAjwLt.jpg

9Nd3xLe.jpg

x1RK6VP.jpg

Epic Spider vs Stinkbug Fight. I tried to take out the spider while the Stinkbug distracted it, but I still died due to the Stinkbug's mist.

k4o3bzM.jpg

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
First, the game looks great. Second, I was sad when the 30 mins was up. I think I'm going to like this one.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Just tried out the demo. Game is graphically gorgeous but the timer on the demo needs to go. They should allow us to start and get a foothold and then keep this stuff when the full game releases. Im 100% sold.

The only thing I didn't like so far was it wasn't very clear at all on how to get recipes that are actually needed like the axe. That should be the first thing you learn.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried out the demo. Game is graphically gorgeous but the timer on the demo needs to go. They should allow us to start and get a foothold and then keep this stuff when the full game releases. Im 100% sold.

The only thing I didn't like so far was it wasn't very clear at all on how to get recipes that are actually needed like the axe. That should be the first thing you learn.

That took me a minute too. If you use the analyzer in that little dome on the items you collect, it will unlock the recipes you can make with those items. Analyze the pebblets.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty good. Small taste offcourse but they nailed the world imo.
Next month the real preview starts with everything else. Curious how everything will evolve.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very fun so far... very Minecrafty, Stardew Valleyish, hmm, maybe a bit of Fallout as well lol

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Although it's an early access game, will it be day one on gamepass? Or I'm confused and it has nothing to do with Microsoft.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Although it's an early access game, will it be day one on gamepass? Or I'm confused and it has nothing to do with Microsoft.
This is a small demo. Next month the whole preview version starts and is indeed included in gamepass. This is a XGS game yes. The Outer Worlds was the last "non MS" game. From now on Obsidian games are XGS.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
This is a small demo. Next month the whole preview version starts and is indeed included in gamepass. This is a XGS game yes. The Outer Worlds was the last "non MS" game. From now on Obsidian games are XGS.

Nice then, gonna check this when I arrive home. I'm usually not in the survival genre mood, only Subnautica changed that but let's see.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
The game looks nice, but wasn't feeling it. Even consuming mushrooms was always low on hunger. The game really wasn't clear on progression. I felt like the first major crafting item you need is an axe and in 30 mins of running all over the sandbox grabbing everything I could find I never found the woven material and had no idea where to get or how to craft it, so I didn't make an axe or feel like I was making any progress. I made some weapons and bandages and that was about it.

Also the quest marker kept saying investigate the mysterious machine, but there was no quest marker on the map and in 30 mins I never found the machine they're talking about.

Was just very confusing and I've played and enjoyed other crafting survival games but it's usually more obvious what you're supposed to do.

Still planning on playing the full release because I like Obsidian, but I feel like I might need a guide to get going.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Nice then, gonna check this when I arrive home. I'm usually not in the survival genre mood, only Subnautica changed that but let's see.

Yeah, Subnautica is the golden standard for single player survival games and open world games in general. This actually reminds me of it, even if it'll have a long way to go to become equally compelling and learning to lead people subtly towards objectives, without directly telling. This is much more heavy-handed, but it does at least feel handcrafted and specific, there's objectives and a story.

It has potentiel.