• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they straight up borrowed Smalland's idea. Although that game has been in development hell for a while iirc.
You can't borrow an idea if your game comes out first.

tenor.gif

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Not for me dot com but I'm sure it'll be on gamepass so I'll check it out before totally writing it off.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So Microsoft acquired Obsidian and they first thing they make under them is a multiplayer survival game? ugh...

I'm sure it will be perfectly serviceable but it sounds like the exact opposite of what I come to Obsidian games for.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder if this is the kind of thing you might be more likely to see as MS puts more and more stock into GP as a primary platform.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm not the target audience for this sort of game, but I think we should actually take some comfort from the fact Microsoft allowed Obsidian to continue working on a smaller, more off-beat sort of project. It's the only way we're ever going to get Pillars of Eternity 3 or Josh Sawyer's historical fantasy RPG.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im a fan of Obsidian but im not a fan of insects :(

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I'm not the target audience for this sort of game, but I think we should actually take some comfort from the fact Microsoft allowed Obsidian to continue working on a smaller, more off-beat sort of project. It's the only way we're ever going to get Pillars of Eternity 3 or Josh Sawyer's historical fantasy RPG.
I don't think it's as much "allowed to continue working" as it was "What else you get? We'll take whatever.". And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, just that microsoft seems most interested in padding their gamepass line-up with original IP, as they should be.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I always think for Microsoft starting new studios from the ground up would make better sense then buying them. im going to give the game a shot, but the expectations have to be kept at a minimum. Everyone expects Obsidian to do same old stuff

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So Microsoft acquired Obsidian and they first thing they make under them is a multiplayer survival game? ugh...

I'm sure it will be perfectly serviceable but it sounds like the exact opposite of what I come to Obsidian games for.

so you would have preferred that when MS bought them they force them cancel all their games in development.

that's pretty heartless.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017

You seriously think Obsidian can develop a game this quick in only 1 years after they bought by MS?

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft asked all their new aquisition studio to worked on new IP anyway, that's why all Rare, Obsidian, Ninja Theory and probably Double Fine after psychobauts will all make new IP

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
so you would have preferred that when MS bought them they force them cancel all their games in development.

that's pretty heartless.
You seriously think Obsidian can develop a game this quick in only 1 years after they bought by MS?
I already know it was in development before they joined Microsoft. I wouldn't have any interest in it regardless. That's not what I'm looking forward to out of Obsidian and I was hoping they would announce something more in their wheelhouse here, even if it was further off.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If its was survival single player with a good story then i would be all for this, something similar to Dragon Quest Builders. Multiplayer survival? meh.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
It was already in development before Microsoft bought them. You would rather Microsoft cancel this outright?
I was thinking this project is a command from Microsoft and I just see that is a " Passion project " From very small team, but it's disappointing from a event like this. I hope for a big game

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
This is not what I wanted from Obsidian, but what I expected from a Microsoft owned studio.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hope for a big game

I think you'll definitely see one in the future.

Obsidian has roughly 200 developers. If 20 are on this, and some are on Outer Worlds DLC (if that's happening), I would think the rest are working on a sequel to Outer Worlds or something else.

We know Matt Booty has said he hopes Outer Worlds can be a huge franchise for Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Not the game I expected from them, but I am pretty interested.

I got a soft spot for "big environments that is just shit like a kitchen or a literal sandbox" settings.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Again, it's a fun side project we know little about. It was made by a team of 13 people. And it was in development before the Microsoft deal.

I'm not wild about this either—or the fact that we may never again get an isometric CRPG from Obsidian—but be reasonable.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, sorry but that looks awful. I don't mind the premise at all, could be interesting..but the game looks really bad. That combat lol But who knows might look better near the release

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Again, it's a fun side project we know little about. It was made by a team of 13 people. And it was in development before the Microsoft deal.

I'm not wild about this either—or the fact that we may never again get an isometric CRPG from Obsidian—but be reasonable.

13 Devs?

Yeah, it definitely shows. It looks interesting enough, disappointed it's multiplayer though.

Jan 21, 2019
Damn, here I was expecting a bombastic RPG on Witcher level since they have Microsoft money now. Their acquisition was honestly one of the most exciting things that made me want to get a Scarlett, but damn... Same with Bleeding Edge to be honest, I know that game was in development already and is being made by a different team, but Senua + Microsoft money should've been something close to God of War, not Bleeding Edge... I know I'm rambling but I am disappointed with MS's future exclusives.

Oct 27, 2017

People don't use sense or just ignore reality when i comes to microsoft.

Seeing this and bleeding edge, it seems that the studios can do side projects with smaller teams whilst the bulk of the studio works on other things and they see the light of a day and have a home on gamepass. Pretty great imo.

They could be one and done or could see sequels and be expanded upon if they become popular. Whatever way it falls, I like the approach

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this and bleeding edge, it seems that the studios can do side projects with smaller teams whilst the bulk of the studio works on other things and they see the light of a day and have a home on gamepass. Pretty great imo.
Also, Obsidian have been in the business of spreading their bets for a while. They've juggled lots of projects (South Park! Skyforge! Aliens??! And that Russian tank game!) by necessity, because putting all their chips on one project might have killed them at several points in recent history.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, here I was expecting a bombastic RPG on Witcher level since they have Microsoft money now. Their acquisition was honestly one of the most exciting things that made me want to get a Scarlett, but damn... Same with Bleeding Edge to be honest, I know that game was in development already and is being made by a different team, but Senua + Microsoft money should've been something close to God of War, not Bleeding Edge... I know I'm rambling but I am disappointed with MS's future exclusives.

Both studios have multiple teams though so it's likely the big games you are wanting are being saved for next gen. We already know Obsidian have an RPG in development.

Grounded isn't what I think of when talking about Obsidian but it looks to be a small passion project. Hope it play well and is a success for the small team who developed it.

Oct 27, 2017
They have just finished the outer worlds, Next E3 might show us what Obsidians next big RPG will be. Bleeding edge as you know was being worked on before the acquisition and is not being done by the whole studio. It is thanks to gamepass and microsoft that these games are not being scrapped.