• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Also, Obsidian have been in the business of spreading their bets for a while. They've juggled lots of projects (South Park! Skyforge! Aliens??! And that Russian tank game!) by necessity, because putting all their chips on one project might have killed them at several points in recent history.
Yeah, and now they not only don't have to worry.

After seeing this, I have a feeling that microsoft probably wanted studios that were capable of doing small and large projects simultaneously. Keep the gamepass machine fueled

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Not sure it's my thing (though I'll always try a new MP game), but it's good to see smaller stuff get a spotlight.

Edit: 13 people? Good luck to them, hope it works!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This game looks so cool. Current MS is seriously making me feel like a kid again with these unique game they're funding.

Nov 11, 2017
Not really, at least not for me. It's good they can work on whatever project they want, but I would love to see literally anything else. Pillars 3, a smaller side game based on Pillars engine, a historical RPG which Josh Sawyer always wanted to make. But not this.
Pillars isn't a smaller game, those isometrics take a lot of work

Feb 10, 2018
I finally get to experience honey I shrunk the kids, or the barrowers, really cool concept for a game, I hope it delivers.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
I don't know if I would play this. But I can't wait for the RP community on twitch to tackle this game.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Not really, at least not for me. It's good they can work on whatever project they want, but I would love to see literally anything else. Pillars 3, a smaller side game based on Pillars engine, a historical RPG which Josh Sawyer always wanted to make. But not this.

At this point I'm really doubtful Feargus (and Microsoft?) will ever let Josh make his Darklands-style historical RPG. I'd love to be wrong though.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
The complaints about this game seem really silly considering they just released The Outer Worlds a month or so ago.

Oct 26, 2017
Gameplay looks like Fortnight.

Art style is completely wrong for this concept in my opinion. The appeal of exploring a small scale is magnifying tiny details that usually go unnoticed when viewed from a normal human perspective. The world should appear strange, alien, intimidating, occasionally gross.

With this art style all that is lost.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't interested in this, as is typical of me with...I guess all multiplayer games that aren't Battlefield, but then it was revealed that this will be on Game Pass, after which I continue not being interested, but maybe I'll try it out.

People have come to expect a certain type of game out of Obisidan, but; what Obsidian mans said.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Exercise some rationale. How can a 2017 game be a Microsoft driven game??
Everyone congratulated Ms for success of outer world and how great it was yet no one should say something if they don't like grounded ? Which is it man ? I m a bit confused .

Anyways I m sure it will have its own following . Online survival games tend to find their own niche

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What the. This game has no business being developed by Obsidian at all.

With the nature of survival genre, they're bound to constant updates over time. Hopefully it won't affect their next RPG project.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I loved how literally Obsidian had to go out of their way saying this was in conception before even being bought by Microsoft cause they probably knew people were going to shit on MS for forcing them to do some survival online thing. :D

Game looks neat.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
It definitely wouldn't hurt for the art to be more stylized but idk I think it looks kinda neat

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Damn, here I was expecting a bombastic RPG on Witcher level since they have Microsoft money now. Their acquisition was honestly one of the most exciting things that made me want to get a Scarlett, but damn... Same with Bleeding Edge to be honest, I know that game was in development already and is being made by a different team, but Senua + Microsoft money should've been something close to God of War, not Bleeding Edge... I know I'm rambling but I am disappointed with MS's future exclusives.
Wait a year or two and they will show that game to you. They have 4 or 5 teams currently working on games and at least one of the projects is a Unreal Engine game that is supposedly AAA game (not Outer Worlds 2). It takes time to get there, they were acquired a year ago. You really don't want to show AAA game after it's been in development for less than year.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
We saw the same thing from Ninja Theory with Bleeding Edge. Can't believe there are folks that think Microsoft even influenced the creation of these games.
Yea, as some who enjoys a variety of genres I love seeing studios branch out like this. I really don't want to see these studios stuck on one genre or IP.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, and now they not only don't have to worry.

After seeing this, I have a feeling that microsoft probably wanted studios that were capable of doing small and large projects simultaneously. Keep the gamepass machine fueled

Josh Sawyer pretty much said this when they released the special announcement about the purchase. There will be smaller and bigger games both coming out from Obsidian.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
IgMyx.gif

Perfect summation of this reveal.

Hard pass.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, here I was expecting a bombastic RPG on Witcher level since they have Microsoft money now. Their acquisition was honestly one of the most exciting things that made me want to get a Scarlett, but damn... Same with Bleeding Edge to be honest, I know that game was in development already and is being made by a different team, but Senua + Microsoft money should've been something close to God of War, not Bleeding Edge... I know I'm rambling but I am disappointed with MS's future exclusives.

Outer Worlds isn't even a month old lol

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
At this point I'm really doubtful Feargus (and Microsoft?) will ever let Josh make his Darklands-style historical RPG. I'd love to be wrong though.

You're right, there is a slim chance for this project to happen. And with Tyranny and Deadfire being considered as flops, there are small chances for games like that as well. Josh is apparently working on something he refers as a "non-violent game". Not sure if this is Grounded or something else, though.