• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Both Obsidian and Ninja Theorys first Xbox games are bizarre changes from the company MOs and just plain bad looking. I know it's just getting stuff out there that was already half done when they were acquired but it's still kind of a bad look.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally not my kind of game, but it has charm and looks fun for people who enjoy survival games.

Man Era is a bunch of Debbie Downers.

That, and ignorant. Obsidian has multiple teams working on multiple games, this was started well before the microsoft purchase and was made by 13 people, and mouthbreathers around here are whining about Microsoft. What an embarrassing thread.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't feeling that at all. Definitely not what I hoped Obsidian would be making after MS bought them. This has better not be another Rare situation.

Dec 21, 2017
Is it just me, or is there a trend going on? MS seems to be fond of buying a studio known for one type of game, and all of a sudden their next project seems to be "experimental"/out of the ordinary?

Obsidian, known for RPG's, is now doing this.
Ninja Theory, known for hack and slash are doing a brawleresque MMO.

I'm sure there's more, but the only other acquisition i'm aware of is Double Fine and they've got Psychonauts 2 ongoing, but past that?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me, or is there a trend going on? MS seems to be fond of buying a studio known for one type of game, and all of a sudden their next project seems to be "experimental"/out of the ordinary?

I'm sure there's more, but the only other acquisition i'm aware of is Double Fine and they've got Psychonauts 2 ongoing, but past that?

Both those projects were probably on going before MS bought them.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't feeling that at all. Definitely not what I hoped Obsidian would be making after MS bought them. This has better not be another Rare situation.

That's good, since they've been working on this since BEFORE they were acquired by Microsoft.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm very excited about this for a 7 reasons:

1. Obsidian has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt.

2. The theming looks really fun and interesting and what Obsidian is describing about Biomes and an adaptable environment sounds really cool.

3. It takes away little from Obsidian's resources with only 13 devs, and adds a great appetite filler. I love The Outer Worlds but I've nearly 100% it. A living, smaller service based game with an endless gameplay loop should scratch the itch between Outer Worlds and the Chris Parker Skyrim Killer/Outer Worlds 2.

4. This is also a great testing ground for mechanics. As the game is in early access, they can test out elements of crafting and survival which (if appropriate) could really enrich future RPGs. Imagine a dynamic weather shelter system in a fantasy RPG or having a planet to optionally build a colony on in Outer Worlds 2. The skeletal system for those systems can be born here. Or imagine the adaptive biome idea in Outer Worlds 2 where killing too many Raptidons increases the Mantipillar population.

5. As a part of Microsoft, Obsidian has easy opportunities to pick the brains of Mojang, Minecraft Seattle, Undead Labs and InXile who all have experience in Survival mechanics and can help enrich this game.

6. The game is on Game Pass, and I've already got another year and a half to go before I renew.

7. In a sea of franchises, it's nice to see a risk-taking new IP from a great dev.

My only hope is that the game will have a single player mode as all of my friends have PS4s or Switches but no Gaming PCs or Xboxs. Also, I hate my voice so I don't like to play with strangers.

Anyhow, that's besides the point. Very hopeful for this.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, try doing some basic research at least before posting such crap. Both Ninja Theory and Obsidian have publicly stated that these passion project smaller games were being worked on prior to being acquired, let alone the common sense that any game development doesn't just spin up so quickly like that. And frankly these are both interesting looking games that I am glad to have developers experiment with for different game experiences in addition to the larger efforts that are going on at the studios as expected.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked at the negative reaction here, not at all what I expected after watching the trailer. Looked great.

That said, I feel Rare's game and this seem too similar.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I have a strong feeling Obsidian was working on this before the acquisition just so they could stay afloat.

If you read between the lines it's pretty much confirmed to be a "let's make something small and fast to bring in revenue" game. Though I imagine Microsoft's backing will give us a better product than we would have got otherwise.

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
It looks nice! I really don't understand the misery.
I thought people wanted to encourage experimentation and new IP from studios?
People want them to experiment with what they don't like and that what they like is always the same.
e7a.jpg
pro gamer tip: It's okay to not be excited about a genre you dislike! No one is trashing Obsidian or the game, it's simply not interesting to Obsidian's fanbase, not that hard to grasp as a concept imo

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Both Obsidian and Ninja Theorys first Xbox games are bizarre changes from the company MOs and just plain bad looking. I know it's just getting stuff out there that was already half done when they were acquired but it's still kind of a bad look.
and if ms told them to stop working on it this place would be yelling at ms about interfering on devs and keeping them from working on games they want to work on

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Both those projects were probably on going before MS bought them.
During XO when they were talking with them they said exactly that, that the game was underway before they became part of MS. When MS talked with them they showed it to them and MS liked what they were doing. They also said it was a small team within the company making that game.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
ITT: Developers should only make one kind of thing, forever!

This looks cool to me, tbh. I'm not usually a survival game guy, but the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" premise, cartoony aesthetic and base-building mechanics grabbed my attention.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
pro gamer tip: It's okay to not be excited about a genre you dislike! No one is trashing Obsidian or the game, it's simply not interesting to Obsidian's fanbase, not that hard to grasp as a concept imo
Pro gamer tip: As no-one has actually 'consumed' the game yet as it hasn't released yet, trying to justify bad behaviour with a shitty meme and a condescending attitude doesn't contribute to discussion at all. Especially when the only 'question' asked and answered seems to be "Why not an RPG?"

Of course people are allowed to be indifferent, but Obsidian is also allowed to branch out too.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Of course people are allowed to be indifferent, but Obsidian is also allowed to branch out too.
no one is calling them out for branching out per se, a survival game with a building focus doesn't resonate with many of their fanbase. Simple as that, whether it's good or not remains to be seen and no one is crossing them out for it. Just sounds and looks unappealing, maybe it's good - maybe it isn't.
The condescending reply probably applied more to the other guy rather than yours though, sorry about that

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Not what I wanted from Obsidian, but not everything has to be made for me. So I wish them the best on this, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for an Outer Worlds 2 down the line.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow that looks and sounds incredibly uninteresting, i don't know what I was expecting. At least the outerworlds is pretty great.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
no one is calling them out for branching out per se, a survival game with a building focus doesn't resonate with many of their fanbase. Simple as that, whether it's good or not remains to be seen and no one is crossing them out for it. Just sounds and looks unappealing, maybe it's good - maybe it isn't.
The condescending reply probably applied more to the other guy rather than yours though, sorry about that

Imagine if DICE stuck to making racing games
Or if Epic stuck to making platformers
Or if id software stuck to making platformers
Or if Blizzard stuck with making racing games / platformers
Or if Nintendo just kept making trading cards
Or if Naughty Dog stuck to making platformers
Or if CD Projekt just kept making polish translations of games
Etc etc

Obsidian's bread and butter is RPGs. They trace their lineage to Black Isle of Interplay. But that's not going to stop them from branching out and trying new things. One day they may not be an RPG studio, as well. It's the nature of the machine. It's the nature of evolving studios as well.

We do know that for the forseeable future they will be making big in depth RPG titles... but people need to understand that they are making games they want to make as a team and one day what they want to make may change. people sometimes need a change of pace.

Oct 28, 2019
I'm glad some of the people on this thread don't make creative decisions at Microsoft. We'd get something similar to Halo/Gears/Forza but with their favorite franchises instead every year.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Disappointed to see this being what Obsidian is working on. But maybe they needed a break from big RPGs. Not for me, but it looks like something kids might enjoy.

Hopefully their other projects are more in line with their pedigree.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
JFC Era. It's a passion project, made by literally a dozen people, that was in development before MS acquired them, yet so many clueless people in this thread are spinning it as some horrible genre-pivot Ms are forcing on Obsidian/Ninja Theory. You don't have to like everything a favourite dev makes but do some god damn research before flapping your gums.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
This is still not as strange as the Dungeon Siege III announcement.

Anyways.. looks cool but very early. Will keep an eye out for this.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017

Agreed. I can't forget what they did to Rare. I was hoping for just a short CGI of an Obsidian high fantasy RPG or something.. Not.. this... I'm sure it'll be .. fine.. But Rare didn't do this shit they do now... And I don't think of Obsidian as... pixar survival either. Ugh. Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
I'm really surprised to the reaction for this announcement. Looks super cool to me at least and if they play their cards well it could be a hit within the streaming enviroment hehe Good Luck obsidian

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks interesting and I know people are constantly buying up survival games. I'm sure it'll be a hit with the streaming crowd.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Agreed. I can't forget what they did to Rare. I was hoping for just a short CGI of an Obsidian high fantasy RPG or something.. Not.. this... I'm sure it'll be .. fine.. But Rare didn't do this shit they do now... And I don't think of Obsidian as... pixar survival either. Ugh. Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

You really aren't agreeing with him here.
Also ironic that you're complaining about Rare being 'forced' into making certain types of games while deriding Obsidian for attempting to experiment.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No team should be forced to make a game they don't want to make.

Unless they start to stray outside of their wheelhouse, then they need to immediately stop and go back to what I wanted.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
You really aren't agreeing with him here.
Also ironic that you're complaining about Rare being 'forced' into making certain types of games while deriding Obsidian for attempting to experiment.

im not trying to argue lol. Fact is we all thought Rare would make AAA adventure/platforming mascot games for MS and we thought Obsidian would make AAA RPGs for MS. And we know how the former turned out at least the past. 15 years? Obsidians survival game looks fine, but forgive me for being skeptical of MS letting companies do what they're good at.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Trailer did nothing for me. But then reading the Kotaku article about the branching narrative, skill trees, interesting characters, warring insect factions, and now I think it holds a lot of promise.