Jan 4, 2018
grounded-pond-update-koi-02.jpg

Grounded 'Pond Update' interview: What's next for Microsoft's little big adventure

Grounded has already found some real success on streaming platforms despite being in an early access state, and Obsidian isn't taking that early popularity lying down. The studio is hard at work on the game's biggest update so far. Grounded's Pond Update in early November will add a fully-featured biome in the Koi pond, adding new beasties, new crafting opportunities, and new areas to explore. We spoke to Adam Brenneke, Grounded's Game Director, to learn all about what the future holds for one of Microsoft's most promising new IPs to date.

Grounded's next-gen update will include:

• Smart Delivery support. As expected, Grounded will fully support Xbox's Smart Delivery, which means you'll get the best possible version of the game for your device with no additional costs or effort.
  • Performance targets for both consoles. Grounded will deliver to the max on the Xbox Series X at a sharp 4K resolution and 60fps, as we already knew, but now we also know the Xbox Series S will deliver the same smooth 60fps, but at a lower 1080p resolution.
  • Improved draw distance. Grounded looks great, but things tend to fade into the distance a little quicker than expected. Next-gen consoles will dramatically improve this.
  • Improved shadow quality. Again thanks to next-gen improvements, Grounded will also feature higher quality shadows.
  • Reduced load times. The standard and lightning fast SSD included in both of the new Xbox's means loading into Grounded will be faster than ever.
  • A performance boost on all platforms. Grounded's next-gen enhancements don't just affect the Xbox Series X and S. Expect some increased performance on every device, including the aging OG Xbox One and One S.
  • HDR support. If you have a compatible TV, Grounded will look better with HDR on, featuring better contrast, brighter colors, and more vibrancy in general.
Finally, we now know that Grounded has been keeping something very sneaky hidden from us. Thanks to its early access status, Grounded has been built from day one on Xbox's new GDK, making it one of the very first games to be built entirely using Xbox's latest development kit. This won't really affect players with the end result, but it's still very cool!

On early November update:

So it's looking like the pond update is going to be pretty much the biggest update that Grounded has seen. And really broad strokes: can you tell players sort of what to expect with this update?

It's definitely our our our biggest update to the yard so far and we spent a lot of time on this one. The skeleton of the koi pond is already there, so if you want to get a sense of how big it is, you can jump into the game and look at it. But it's a big chunk of the yard.

And not only is it big in square meters, but it's also deep, so there's a lot of stuff to explore, a lot of stuff to find. New creatures, a bunch new crafting. We're super stoked to finally unveil it and get it out there.

On weather effects:

Weather is a crazy one, so we definitely want to do the weather at some point. It's insane to think about like what happens if it actually rains in this world where the water drops are as big as your head, and it would be a violent, violent force down on you.

It's something that we really want to do eventually, and it's something we've definitely talked about, but I think it's a little bit further out on the schedule then something that we will see anytime soon.

On story:

We're probably about 50 to 60 percent done with the content of Act 1, and we definitely wanna do passes over the existing content as well.

On Early Access and feedback:

We can make massive changes to the game. We're OK with doing that. We are listening to everyone's feedback. Please please voice your opinion wherever you want, just shout it out there are. We have an amazing community team that is scouring the web for your feedback. Even if it's something that you don't like, we are taking all that to heart. We just want to make the best game that we possibly can, and we can't do that without your help.

On accessibility features:

Grounded has been pretty proactive when it comes to accessibility features. You have stuff like the spider slider. Are you guys looking to expand accessibility within Grounded right now?

That's something that's always important to us. Even with the koi pond, we've been discussing like, "hey are there things that we're we're not aware of with accessibility? With swimming for example?

So we are looking at how can we make this game available to everyone and accessible to everyone for gamers of all ages. And if you are struggling with something or if you think that we could be doing better in some aspect, please also share that with us. We're definitely listening and taking that feedback to heart.

On working on Xbox Series X|S, on HDR:

What's your team's experience been developing with the Xbox Series X and S?

I think it's amazing, like when I got Grounded running on the Series X. I was blown away. It just feels like a completely different experience like it's just so silky smooth. The framerate is amazing. It looks amazing.
And I think when players get their hands on with Grounded on it, I think people will be blown away, especially with the new HDR stuff. Grounded already looks really good, but with HDR it's just really mind-blowing to me.

On Xbox Series S specifically:

So outside of resolution, has there been any noticeable difference developing for the Xbox Series S?

No, I think, you know it's running silky-smooth there as well. I think that really resolution is the only big difference between the two platforms.

On initial reception of the Early Access:

We saw amazing initial success with Grounded. Everyone on the team, everyone at Xbox, everyone at Obsidian, we're so thrilled with how the initial few months have been.

grounded-pond-update-koi-01.jpg

grounded-pond-update-bubble-01.jpg

grounded-pond-update-flea-01.jpg

grounded-pond-update-tadpole-02.jpg

www.windowscentral.com

Grounded 'Pond Update' interview: What's next for Microsoft's little big adventure

'Grounded' is about to get a watery update, and we spoke to Obsidian to learn all about it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god. I'm having flashbacks of that bit in Sekiro where you have to sneak past the giant koi with human teeth...

*shudders*

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I'm asking beyond the visual differences. Does it have a campaign or something?

Yes. They are building the story with each update they release.

Minecraft kinda has a story but it far more of a sandbox with things pointing you to different activities that you can build on top of.

Grounded is a narrative survival game while Minecraft is a sandbox survival (if you play on normal vs creative).

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Yes. They are building the story with each update they release.

Minecraft kinda has a story but it far more of a sandbox with things pointing you to different activities that you can build on top of.

Grounded is a narrative survival game while Minecraft is a sandbox survival (if you play on normal vs creative).

Oh, nice! At first, it looked just like a "minecraft with another skin", but it's nice that is has a campaign. I think I'll give it a try.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Man this looks so cool! Can't wait to dive back into this! Will be playing on Series X to see it in its full glory! :D

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Quick question since I haven't been in the xbox ecosystem for a bit, if I start playing on Gamepass on PC, will my save transfer over to Series X? Not sure if it is a Play Anywhere title.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
This has been one of the biggest surprises of MS' acquisitions, and I'm so glad with how it's shaping up. Really wish MS would allow all their major studios to have little experimental incubation projects like this - would love to see what 343i, The Coalition, Turn 10, Playground, Rare, Id, etc. can do with 10-20 man teams.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Oh great. My thalassophobia is kicking in.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has been one of the biggest surprises of MS' acquisitions, and I'm so glad with how it's shaping up. Really wish MS would allow all their major studios to have little experimental incubation projects like this - would love to see what 343i, The Coalition, Turn 10, Playground, Rare, Id, etc. can do with 10-20 man teams.
You're implying MS doesn't allow their major studios to have little experimental incubation projects like this when I highly doubt it has anything to do with MS somehow allowing or disallowing it. LOL

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Everything I hear about this game and it's just so fascinating, and even doubly so considering just how successful the initial early access launch was as well. I haven't had the chance to play it, but it definitely seems like a really fun game to play around in especially with friends or my younger brother. Does this game have split screen on either console or PC?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
You're implying MS doesn't allow their major studios to have little experimental incubation projects like this when I highly doubt it has anything to do with MS somehow allowing or disallowing it. LOL
Of course they have incubation teams. But beyond Obsidian the model of 'Juggernaut studio with a little passion project team' isn't something any other studio in MS' wheelhouse is seemingly doing. LOL

I'd like to see MS actively encouraging this approach, not just sanctioning it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they have incubation teams. But beyond Obsidian the model of 'Juggernaut studio with a little passion project team' isn't something any other studio in MS' wheelhouse is showing. LOL
There are a multitude of factors specific to each studio that making a generalized statement reducing it to MS not allowing it is silly. I could understand your point more if you simply stated you wanted to see some of the major studios in XGS have smaller passion projects being made like Grounded from Obsidian.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Not played this yet, but I might give it a shot when I get the X.

Does anyone know how coop works if I sign in on the Series X and my PC so I can play on PC and my partner can play on the Xbox at the same time together? Is Gamepass console wide so she could log in with her account (if mine is the primary with GPU) and we can play together that way?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Played for a couple of hours with friends when it originally released in early access. The shrunk-the-kids gimmick really works, wasn't sure how long it would hold my attention. Suffers a bit from jankiness/roughness/shallowness mechanically and I'm a bit worried that most of the update stuff I've seen is them adding more and more and more content rather than trying to improve the core mechanics. Regardless it's a cool little survival game and I suspect me and my friends will give it another crack when it is more finished.

Of course they have incubation teams. But beyond Obsidian the model of 'Juggernaut studio with a little passion project team' isn't something any other studio in MS' wheelhouse is seemingly doing. LOL

I'd like to see MS actively encouraging this approach, not just sanctioning it.

Ninja Theory released Bleeding Edge and have a smaller project 'Mara' in the works too alongside Hellblade.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks so good, can't wait to explore the pond. Also that weather update is going to be crazy.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Everything I hear about this game and it's just so fascinating, and even doubly so considering just how successful the initial early access launch was as well. I haven't had the chance to play it, but it definitely seems like a really fun game to play around in especially with friends or my younger brother. Does this game have split screen on either console or PC?

No split-screen (atm) but cross-play yes.

Not played this yet, but I might give it a shot when I get the X.

Does anyone know how coop works if I sign in on the Series X and my PC so I can play on PC and my partner can play on the Xbox at the same time together? Is Gamepass console wide so she could log in with her account (if mine is the primary with GPU) and we can play together that way?

I have no idea, never tried.

After reading this, I think it should work ?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to giving this a shot.

My oldest son is super into bugs (lol) and he hasn't shut up about this game since he seen an advert for it so looking forward to seeing him finally getting to play it lol.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I played some of it in its first weeks. I did enjoy it but I was playing solo and I felt I couldn't progress a lot more after where I was.

Got to the big tree and there was the giant spider that kept killing me? I stopped after that, but how much has the game changed?

I did like the rewards system that gave you more recipes for doing small task. It was fun so I'll def jump back in on Series X.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
Cannot wait to try this update! My girlfriend and I took a break from exploring Grounded to wait for more content, and now I think it's time to go back. Though maybe I'll wait A LITTLE longer until the Series X arrives :P