• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Book 6 come out before HOTD season 2?

• Of course!

Votes: 70 5.9%
  • Of course not!

Votes: 1,125 94.1%

• Total voters

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's a big, big book, it's a challenging book. It's probably going to be a larger book than any of the previous volumes in the series.

The Dance of Dragons and Storm of Swords were the two largest books in the series. They were both about 1500 manuscript pages. I think this one is gonna be longer than that, by the time I've finished it.

View: https://streamable.com/kci3ep

This was during an interview tonight with his publisher to celebrate the launch of the F&B coffee table book.

It's been awhile since he's offered a concrete progress marker like this. Maybe it's just leftover copium from how good HOTD was, but I really want to believe he's making some real gains these days. Maybe the reception to the new show can keep him motivated 🙏

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming linear progress since he released A Dance With Dragons, that would put him 3 to 4 years out from finishing it.

Math Edit: Yeah, my rough math puts it at Summer 2026.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Its content complete its just in the polishing phase now.

Wait this isnt gamedev?

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2jv7c5598ih41.jpg

I've made my peace with it never being released. If it ever IS released, it'll be like a nice surprise. "Well, whta is this fantasy fiction we have here? ASOIAF? Wonder if it's any good."

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It won't be out before House of the Dragon ends, but it might be out before the Jon Snow show ends.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
He's working on it, but the work consists mostly of reading stuff he already wrote and throwing it away…

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Gave up on it long ago. He works on too many projects instead of finishing the series.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Assuming the book is roughly 1000 pages, that means he's been writing at the blazing speed of about 20% of a page per day. For 11 years. Eat your heart out, Stephen King.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if he keeps up this pace, about 4 years until the book is done.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
The calls to remake game of thrones as a more book faithful adaptation, either in live action or animated will grow once/if Winds ever released.
Hire back the OG cast and remake the later seasons. However, given GRRM writing speed... most of the cast will be old by then... damn.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess the book might finally come out after season 3 of HOTD if it is 2 years in-between seasons.....

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Well if it does ever get finished at least it sounds like it will be massive, that will at least be nice, god what would happen if it was released and was like 300 pages lol…

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm betting what is released is actually already written or damn near close to it. I bet a lot of stuff will be cut out, just like what happened for Dance. Which makes the wait for this one even more ridiculous when you realize how many chapters had been pulled from Dance and gave him a head start.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Togashi just released some HXH chapters so anything can happen.

This is like Oda's 80% done spiel
The way the chapters after Wano have been, I kinda believe him now.
Yeah lol, Oda has been pretty consistent about the series closing in on the end and the last dozen or so chapters have packed in a lot. It's not ending soon per se but we're definitely in the final leg. I can very much believe it'll end in ~5 years or so.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
His body language so obviously tells us that TWOW is what he hates most in his life. He is pissed and annoyed he still "needs" to do that

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I love this man more and more with each update. The man is literally twisting the knife and getting pure joy from it.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Dance with Dragons was released after the last time the Jets went to the playoffs.

Just saying if you want this book you better start believing.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
He is pissed and annoyed he still "needs" to do that
Not on my account, he doesn't. The HBO series may have had a shitty end, but it was more than I expected to ever see from GRRM. He can clearly coast through the rest of his life on the sales and residuals he gets now. I sure would.