• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Didn't see a thread topic for this but I thought it was interesting

View: https://twitter.com/jeffgrubb/status/1622612529699512320?s=46&t=0VnSZXt5jG-WfHi0-4lVFA

View: https://twitter.com/jeffgrubb/status/1622615722298863617?s=46&t=0VnSZXt5jG-WfHi0-4lVFA

I agree with Grubb. The brinksmanship of it all and the hyoerfixation on asset quality over art styles is making these games become more and more risk averse which is why we see more and more monetisation strategies we don't like

Are games doomed to repeat the same mistakes as cinema movies?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Licensed games have a checkered history though if they've not been very good. I would say is far from a shoe in.

Open world Niche-Man came off the back of Marvel-mania (received well, system seller) and even GOTG - a game that was received well - fell below sales expectations, didn't it? Less said about the other recent Marvel games the better.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think the indie wing of the industry is going to be much more important going forward.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What's a 'big game' in this context?
There are AAA games that wouldn't need to get to 10m.
There are AAA games where 10m would be disappointing.

In all honesty I've never even begun to understand the economic basis of the arguments doomers make. This isn't a bubble based on speculation. There is an enormous audience of people playing and spending money on video games. Business will go bust and rise. Trends will appear and disappear. That's about it.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Just another doomer post to add on to the pile 🤷‍♂️ Who knows what will happen in the future but 2023 is a bright spot at least so I'll worry about that if I'm still alive.

Moobabe

Nov 7, 2017
This is an interesting take, but is missing a key piece of information.

Yes, you get additional exposure by using a license, but it can also eat into your revenue pretty significantly.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
With these huge ballooning budgets for AAA games I can see how that would be the case, tbh.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
TLOU2 is one of the most impressive games I've played and it turned a profit day 1 (we know it sold 4M copies in the first 3 days).

So I have my doubts about this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's not working so well for Marvel games though (outside of Spider-Man)

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Further showcasing that Nintendo continue to be masters of navigating the industry with a consistent approach.

Their refusal to focus on bleeding edge hardware and graphics has positioned them incredibly well against competition experiencing intense budget creep with ever-increasing development timelines.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AA-AAA development has felt like it's had a very foreboding undercurrent of being unsustainable for a while now. We reached the edge of a cliff and I can't tell if we're teetering or already falling.

It really comes off as a a very desperate time for many publishers/devs, which I hate as I enjoy risky, creative ventures and feel for developers that are being pigeon holed. I've lost a lot of interest in AA and especially AAA games these days and I really feel as though this is been a subtle but big reason why, along with my just naturally changing tastes as I've gotten older.

zanna

Banned
Dec 10, 2022
AAA games are already incredibly safe and boring I can't imagine how much worse things can get as the coin purse tightens

Oct 28, 2017
TLOU2 is one of the most impressive games I've played and it turned a profit day 1 (we know it sold 4M copies in the first 3 days).

other than spiderman, all of sony's big games were new IPs, yes...but it took nearly a decade or in god of wars case, 2 decades to get to that blockbuster sales point. Is horizon up to that 10 million mark?

this all just feels like the games industry just speed running through what the movie industry has gone through.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I agree with Grubb. The brinksmanship of it all and the hyoerfixation on asset quality over art styles is making these games become more and more risk averse which is why we see more and more monetisation strategies we don't like
Devs on Era have mentioned that it is not really the asset quality that drives the cost, but the scale of games.

Oct 25, 2017
other than spiderman, all of sony's big games were new IPS, yes...but it took nearly a decade or in god of wars case, 2 decades to get to that blockbuster sales point. Is horizon up to that 10 million mark?

this all just feels like the games industry just speed running through what the movie industry has gone through.

Horizon is over 20 million.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A few have failed of late though haven't they?

Avengers and Midnights Suns don't seem to have done too well

Star Wars does pretty well but also has had some duds (though It will probably improve now it's not stuck with EA)

Do we think the Ubisoft Avatar game will out perform their own Far Cry games etc?

Either way, for someone who likes new IP and established game series' it's def a depressing direction to be going in

Luckily indies and AA should still provide enough cool stuff

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

A lot of studios can keep their budget under control. Uncharted 2 was developed with a budget of 22 M and probably generated a lot of profit despite not being a mega uber ultra hit in terms of pure sales performance.

Tomb Raider 2013 sold more than Uncharted 2 but according to SE underperformed, because the budget behind was way bigger (close to 100 M). Another recent example is Callisto Protocol and Dead Space Remake. It's highly likely that the latter had a much smaller budget, and therefore it will be much easier to reach break even / profit.

Last edited:

Azn012

May 17, 2022
Nobody is buying a ps5 or series x for AA games or indies. So at least platform holders have a reason to keep doing AAA games.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the context needs to be explained better because I'm guessing that 10 million is for shareholders to be happy in comparison to the revenue that GaaS games bring - not in terms of games making back their budgets + profit.

10 million copies after 70% cut is going to be like half a billion dollars. If game budgets + marketing have reached that point then yes completely unsustainable unless you're Rockstar.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Unsustainable

I keep hearing that word and doom…. But I'm struggling to imagine what's going to happen beyond is just waiting longer for particular big titles.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
Yeah while they might help you reach 10M sales, you also have to pay the license, and I don't think Disney asks for pocket change

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Care to elaborate or are you just going to be a troll?

other than spiderman, all of sony's big games were new IPS, yes...but it took nearly a decade or in god of wars case, 2 decades to get to that blockbuster sales point. Is horizon up to that 10 million mark?

Forbidden West? Shouldn't be there yet.

Budgets are getting bigger and bigger, no question about that. It'st just that 10M is a insane mark that not many games hit.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I think the 10m is not for turning profit but the floor for game is a success let's greenlight a sequel.

Bulgowski

Apr 8, 2022
I have felt that this was coming for a while. Just looking at this year's "big releases" and a good portion are licensed games - Spiderman, Jedi, Suicide Squad, and others. In all honesty, if this is the direction the AAA video game space is going, I can see it really killing my interest in the medium like it has with blockbuster film.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I can see the industry destroying itself slowly by continuing this way.
Throw a shit ton of money to make big bombastic productions that might flop if it's not bought enough, even with multiple millions sold.

Unless publishers understand that they need to scale things back a bit, it wouldn't shock me if some of them either stop completely existing or are acquired in big consolidation moves.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is buying a ps5 or series x for AA games or indies. So at least platform holders have a reason to keep doing AAA games.
if all consoles had were aaa they wouldnt sell half as well as they did lol. the smaller games are what diversify your systems enough to pull from all audiences

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Videogames have been through the licensing cycle before (the SNES / Megadrive era was crammed to bursting with licensed games) and it'll go through it again.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
And then you have Ragnarok doing 11 million within 3 months........yeah cool.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How many big budget licensed games have done that well historically? From my memory for every Spiderman PS4 there's like 5 Avengers (big budget licensed game that flops) or Garfield Karts (low budget licensed game that does well enough to fund more low budget games). This seems like a super weird hill to die on for the AAA industry. Even if you look at recent successes of things like Jedi Fallen Order or The game that shall not be Named, both of those IPs have had plenty of games that have under performed over the years. Heck as something like GotG shows, having a hot IP that gets favorable reviews isn't a guarantee of sales success.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
If all I played for the rest of my life were games like Hi-Fi Rush, I would die a super happy human being. I think my playthrough clocked in around 11 hours, so not really that long of a game. And it's honestly one of my favorite games of all time.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Start making more focused, 8-10 hour AAA games.

Not everything needs to be a 40 hour, open world, AAA.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, has a game ever sold 10 million and still not covered and recouped its budget/investment?

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
Further showcasing that Nintendo continue to be masters of navigating the industry with a consistent approach.

Their refusal to focus on bleeding edge hardware and graphics has positioned them incredibly well against competition experiencing intense budget creep with ever-increasing development timelines.
While in theory I agree, Nintendo's true testing ground will be the Switch successor. A part for excellent launch window titles, Nintendo has relied a lot on their WiiU backlog library, remasters and Pokemon semi-annual releases in the last years. Imo they will have to step up their input if they want maintain their current momentum in the long run. And product costs will rise even for them (although probably to a smaller extent).