• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
From his latest stream : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1042159822

(Time Stamp 36:30)

Summary from BlackheartVinyl in the XGS thread :

Jeff Grubb is live on Twitch with the Game Mess show talking about Halo. Kind of spicy stuff.
  • Microsoft seems interested in catering to "Halo-ass Halo fans". He thinks non-fans will just see it as "more Halo" and thus he's worried the reception might be bad.
  • He expects E3 to be multiplayer-focused.
  • If they do new multiplayer modes like Battle Royal, that'll probably be down the road, this will probably be things Halo fans know and love like Capture the Flag at launch.
  • Doesn't expect a huge, long deep dive into Halo at E3. They're busy finishing the game, not E3 assets, which take a lot of time away from development.

Bring on E3 baby! Show me more hook chief!

old ass thread me old

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Best course of action, the days of Halo making the cover of TIME magazine are long gone.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"He thinks non-fans will just see it as "more Halo""

This is always going to be the case no matter what you show. Non-Halo fans who are not excited about the return of Halo after how many years will not be excited by it whatever it is.

I'd be pretty grumpy, as a Halo fan, if the course was 'let's try and throw this net wide to appeal to non-Halo fans' rather than 'let's do some great Halo'.

Sounds fine. Show me multiplayer!

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This might be the least interested I've ever been in a Halo. Maybe with the exception of ODST.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

This is always going to be the case no matter what you show. Non-Halo fans who are not excited about the return of Halo after how many years will not be excited by it whatever it is.

I'd be pretty grumpy, as a Halo fan, if the course was 'let's try and throw this net wide to appeal to non-Halo fans' rather than 'let's do some great Halo'.

Yea. And I think Halo should be focusing on being a great Halo...cuz ya know...games should be their best selves, not try to be the end all be all of all things.

EDIT: LOL at the last two posts.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
How i read Grubb in the title

zdnwQ5S.gif

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
As a Halo ass Halo fan, that sounds misguided. It's a dwindling audience.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly what I want to hear lol. My old crew really dove back into MCC multiplayer over the pandemic, I could see it continuing with Infinite.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
"More halo" sounds good to me. I'd like to see them get weird with Infinite down the line but they've gotta recalibrate first, set the baseline somewhere familiar and nostalgic for fans.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They've given "halo ass halo fans" with little content at launch and lots of changes they didn't ask for with the last two games so this is long overdue. I can't wait!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So as a lapsed halo fan but not a halo ass halo fan this game won't be for me, which means there goes the only exclusive I could have maybe enjoyed this fall.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Sticking with its own culture will always pay off long term vs chasing new trends.

Also doesnt mean it has to be archaic and stubborn.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not a Halo ass Halo fan but I really liked Halo 1-3, ODST, and Reach. Since then, I haven't touched the franchise because it hasn't interested me. I keep waiting to get sucked back in. Maybe if the games came out on PC too so it's not such a huge investment to get back into the series just to buy a whole new console for. This one is coming to PC, right?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Can someone explain what a Halo ass Halo means in more concrete terms? Like, how does it relate the Halo 4/5 and the previous Halos? A return to Halo 3? But aren't those (Halo 2/3 and ODST) the most mainstream popular Halo games? This statement is a bit opaque to me (not a Halo ass Halo fan, as the kids say), hope someone can help clarify it!

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a Halo ass Halo fan but I really liked Halo 1-3, ODST, and Reach. Since then, I haven't touched the franchise because it hasn't interested me. I keep waiting to get sucked back in. Maybe if the games came out on PC too so it's not such a huge investment to get back into the series just to buy a whole new console for. This one is coming to PC, right?
Yes it is coming to PC. Every MS game is.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting this to be mainly Halo focused + some Starfield and few other announcements. Of course there will are disappointed people if they don't care about Halo.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. This a million times over. Also it'll be F2P with an ongoing live service which I'm sure will drive new interest as well.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing more Halo than 4-player split screen multiplayer and 2-player split screen campaign co-op... imho

Jul 22, 2020
If Halo ass Halo means Guns-Grenades-Melee that is indeed what Halo ass fans want, and im sure that does NOT appeal to the modern COD/Fornite crowd, but im so down.

Give us old guys some love once in a while too.

Oct 25, 2017
And how many times have we heard this regarding Halo. I hope the game is good it'll be the reason I buy a series X this Fall but we'll see.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mixed on this news.

As a Halo fan, great!

But Halo continues to lose relevance with each passing year. They need to inject some type of new energy into the series to bring in new fans. Most people under like 20 don't know or care about Halo any more, and that's a real issue.

OP
OP
T0kenAussie

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Yeah day and date not sure about steam tho

Oct 28, 2017

I don't subscribe to the idea that they cant show a Halo ass halo game without catering to new users as well. I think Tombraider succeeded in a limited way, and I think God of War achieved it in an incredibly successful way.

I find this a really strange decision by the leadership team, but I guess they have a robust marketing plan at the ready to reach across the isle as well.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain what a Halo ass Halo means in more concrete terms? Like, how does it relate the Halo 4/5 and the previous Halos? A return to Halo 3? But aren't those (Halo 2/3 and ODST) the most mainstream popular Halo games? This statement is a bit opaque to me (not a Halo ass Halo fan, as the kids say), hope someone can help clarify it!
We can only speculate but I imagine it means they're not going to be trying to chase new trends with the idea of appealing to a new audience.

I.e.: don't expect to be seeing a BR mode on display in a couple of weeks.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
honestly Halo 5 multiplayer was a step in the right direction so I trust 343 to make things good especially if they're catering to the core Halo audience. I just hope the main MP modes do not have sprint (keep it as an optional toggle for other modes like SWAT if anything). I am indifferent about the thruster stuff, I don't hate it. also I am tired of seeing lifeless forge maps all of the time, either make forge maps look better or just have better maps in the game by default. Halo 2 still has my favourite map selection ever.

not as hopeful for the single player campaign, but hopefully they can prove me wrong. halo 5 single player was pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.