Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/1790734640635932768
April PC and console game sales fell 6.2% year-on-year in Europe, with 10.5 million games sold.

That's according to GSD data, which tracks digital sales for most major games companies across the whole of Europe, and all physical game sales in all major European markets.

April was a very quiet month for games. The only new game in the Top Ten is Stellar Blade for PS5, which starts at No.9. By comparison, April 2023 featured the debut of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (which was No.1 in that month's chart) and Dead Island 2 (which was No.3).
Although there wasn't a big new release, there was a resurgent game in the form of Fallout 4. As in the UK, Fallout 4 was comfortably the No.1 game of the month, driven by a price cut and the launch of the hit Amazon Prime TV show. The PC version of the game accounted for over half of Fallout 4's sales.

It's one of three Fallout games in the Top Ten, with Fallout 76 at No.7 and Fallout: New Vegas at No.10. Fallout 3 is down at No.14.
The second best-selling game of the month was EA Sports FC 24, which very (very) narrowly pips Helldivers 2 tot the position. Elsewhere, TopSpin 2K25 makes its return at No.12, and No Rest For The Wicked from Moon Studios and Private Divison debuts at No.13.
Console sales drop heavily in April

Over in hardware, and it was a tough month with console sales down 47% over the same period the year before. All three major platforms are down substantially.

This data covers a number of European markets, but doesn't feature the UK or Germany. For UK data, click here.
There are a few reasons for this. During the first half of last year we saw a sharp increase in stock of PS5 following a period of limited availability, and so there was a strong sales spike during this time last year. Last April also saw a lot of activity around Nintendo Switch, including a new hardware SKU to coincide with the Super Mario Bros movie, and then a special console ahead of the release of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
Of course, PS5 and Xbox Series S and X are also struggling due to a weaker release schedule, while Switch is now into its eigth year on the market, so it's not surprising sales are slowing down. There is certainly a need for some high profile software and new consoles to help stimulate sales in this sector.

Finally, sales of accessories dropped nearly 17% over April last year, with just over 1m units sold. The PS5 DualSense Controller held its No.1 position with sales up 0.8% over the month before.

European GSD April 2024 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)

PositionTitle
1Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
2EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
3Helldivers 2 (Sony)
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
6Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
7Fallout 76 (Bethesda)
8Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
9Stellar Blade (Sony)
10Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda)

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
It feels like Europe is discovering Fallout through the TV show. It had always felt like a very American IP before (unlike Skyrim).

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ee8d0a9bc0e8e1ae3f28a5e6330e5deb7d0313db.gif

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
If Sony isn't able to lower PS5 price sales will drop significantly this year in EU and they can forget that 18M target for the FY.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
After local hero Plague-Doctor used simultaneous equations to figure out unit numbers they dont want to give % for individual platforms anymore lol.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If Sony isn't able to lower PS5 price sales will drop significantly this year in EU and they can forget that 18M target for the FY.

Seeing PS5 still being sold for €500-550 after 4 years is a lot and they are also debuting the Pro which is going to cost at least €600, unless they cut the price of the base PS5 model and make the Pro a €550 console but i doubt.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
A Pro will boost hardware sales for Sony. Plenty of people will double dip, on top of whatever the base console sells.

It really is about whether or not they can release a major game or two.

edit: This is assuming they aren't going ti PS3 route of laughably pricing the console lol

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing PS5 still being sold for €500-550 after 4 years is a lot and they are also debuting the Pro which is going to cost at least €600, unless they cut the price of the base PS5 model and make the Pro a €550 console but i doubt.

Yeah I doubt that too, definitely expecting 600€+.

A Pro will boost hardware sales for Sony. Plenty of people will double dip, on top of whatever the base console sells.

edit: This is assuming they aren't going ti PS3 route of laughably pricing the console lol

I wouldn't expect significant sales from the Pro version but we'll see. They won't have major games either, and I don't see stuff like Concord or a new Astro having a impact on hardware sales. They really need a price cut, or at least more frequent promotions.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I doubt that too, definitely expecting 600€+.

I wouldn't expect significant sales from the Pro version but we'll see. They won't have major games either, and I don't see stuff like Concord or a new Astro having a impact on hardware sales. They really need a price cut, or at least more frequent promotions.
Third parties can sell games too, we still will have to see if there is anything coming from that side of the business before year's end. I don't think the forecast is impossible.

The showcase will illuminate a lot more though, and the price of the PS5 Pro is critical.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Aren't Sony still selling the PS5 at a loss (I thought I saw that on some slide yesterday)? Expecting the Pro to come in at the same price point or $50 more doesn't seem realistic.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Third parties can sell games too, we still will have to see if there is anything coming from that side of the business before year's end. I don't think the forecast is impossible.

The showcase will illuminate a lot more though, and the price of the PS5 Pro is critical.

Thought you meant from Sony. Yeah 3rd party releases for the 2nd half are still mostly unknown so there could be something significant there.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they stopped being sold at a loss years ago.

Edit: from 2021 (and before they skimmed it down too)

https://www.pcmag.com/news/sony-says-499-ps5-no-longer-sells-at-a-loss

I can't find the slide right now but here's a post about it from the other thread.

www.resetera.com

Sony’s PS5 sales are down 29% YoY for the last quarter, missed 21M (20.8M) mark for FY2023, FY2024 target 18M

Sony isn't forecasting that, and the comments about "improved profits due to lower PS5 hardware sales" says all you need to know about price cuts anyways.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I can't find the slide right now but here's a post about it from the other thread.

www.resetera.com

Sony’s PS5 sales are down 29% YoY for the last quarter, missed 21M (20.8M) mark for FY2023, FY2024 target 18M

Sony isn't forecasting that, and the comments about "improved profits due to lower PS5 hardware sales" says all you need to know about price cuts anyways.
Not sure it's linking to the right post if you're talking about the PS5 being sold at a loss still?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017