• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Pretty poor showing when you consider that GT used to sell north of 10 million. But the series has been on a downward spiral since the PS2 days so i´m not surprised.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Pretty poor showing when you consider that GT used to sell north of 10 million. But the series has been on a downward spiral since the PS2 days so i´m not surprised.

Wouldn't say pretty poor considering it is an online focused racer. It does have more of a single player career now, but it sure didn't when it launched.

If anything, it shows the online experiment worked. From what I heard about the next GT game, people will probably be pleased.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the racing genre is struggling in general, 8.2 million users is a ton more than I expected. I also think a lot of people assumed this would be a much smaller scale game because of the name, and it still did really well.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not true.... It's just that GT sport is not GT7. So the performance is actually pretty impressive for a "test" game
I don't see how a franchise that used to sell 20 + million copies a gen falling down to less than 8 million can be considered anything but a disaster. The online focus was a mistake, the game released unfinished, the name is nonsensical and Polyphonie takes way to long to finish the games.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry it is a demo in my mind since you don't keep the characters and they rotate to try. And I know this is just a forum where people can't help but be have as such saying "Give me sauces, support specific evidence that I know MS would never disclose!" but nothing I have said was contradictory from what MS actually does.

Player numbers have always been big numbers to tout that can easily be amassed, and something where a F2P download of KI is another player and the FH3 demo on Xbox and Windows created a Drivatar and could be counted as a player are perfect to get those mult-million player engagement PR pieces. Yet evidence is needed for things that are self-evident, apparently.

It would be self evident.. if you had literally a single string to tie a demo to their player counts. The only thing evident is that you are bending terms to suit your argument and then are looking at everyone else like they're weird for not going along with it.

I'm not here to stop you though, feel free, just saying it's baseless fanfic from what you have shown.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Cant tell if joking???? Isnt this the game that enforced driver etiquette in really strange strict ways?
It has a penalty system that encourages clean racing, not sure what part of that is strange. It's basically the best choice if you want to race competitively or even just consistently cleanly on consoles.

Congrats to Polyphony, their online efforts are a great blueprint for the future.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It actually did pretty well for what is essentially an online only game. GT7 will be more telling if the series is actually on a decline.

I'm hyped because it sounds like they want to take GT to an all new level at 120fps or even 240fps in his latest interview. I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come with the PS5, a greater focus on frame rates.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
The biggest mistake was at the start of the generation
GT6 should have been a cross gen starter
Would have it made easier for the Devs as well as easy bundling and familiarity with consumers

In general alot of games in 2013 should have been cross gen

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
8.2 million users means 6.8-7.6 million sales. Which seems pretty good for a game that was quite divisive when it launched.

Though, GT Sport ist the best racing game this generation for sure.
With a proper old school campaign, GT7 will do massive numbers.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Different times. GT's glory days were during a time where there was far less competition in the the 'racing sim' sub-genre, especially on console. Not to mention the racing genre as a whole has seen a decline.

For a MP focused 'racing sim' that had a rocky start, I'd say this is pretty good.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
What do you mean joking?
It has a penalty system that encourages clean racing, not sure what part of that is strange. It's basically the best choice if you want to race competitively or even just consistently cleanly on consoles.

Congrats to Polyphony, their online efforts are a great blueprint for the future.
There's nothing strange about the way they handle driver etiquette. Just leads to cleaner and more enjoyable racing.
I'm not saying your wrong I just remember giant bombcast tearing the online component apart.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying your wrong I just remember giant bombcast tearing the online component apart.
I love them but they don't really understand realistic racing games well. This is basically the same system iRacing uses and it's great. It's also changed a lot since that and they don't like going back to games.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im playing it right now, while lacking some features from previous GT's, it truly is the greatest online racer I've ever played. The Graphics are insane on the Pro, seeing it in 4K, HDR, mindblowing at times. Driving through Tokyo, watching the sunlight beam into the car past the overhead concrete beams holding the freeway above the road you're on, it's a sight to behold. Just what will these guys do with PS5?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
It would be self evident.. if you had literally a single string to tie a demo to their player counts. The only thing evident is that you are bending terms to suit your argument and then are looking at everyone else like they're weird for not going along with it.

I'm not here to stop you though, feel free, just saying it's baseless fanfic from what you have shown.

No, I just think it is people who are unable to accept something unless smacked in the face with something strong enough to break their iron denial. Seriously, I love KI, but its failure to gain traction in its years while being tied to the Xbox One as its struggled.... but amazingly it has millions of players tallied in its user base even before it went to other devices. Then FH3 had 9 million players across Xbox One and Windows, both are platforms met with resilience from the wider audience, yet there is no way the players of the demo (which even have their own Drivatars created) are added into the result.

It could never be from player engagement from the free download (whether demo/free fighter version) related to the game. That would be work of literature to you.

Some fanfic I'm writing, right? But this part is gold

are looking at everyone else like they're weird for not going along with it.

I count only a few people who are freaking out over this because they can't swallow the idea that MS is using player engagement from a demo added to fully account and raise their player engagement numbers when they owe no explanation of who's from a sold copy, a Game Pass copy, or demo download because they aren't talking hard sales and would never provide it even if asked.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
In my GT Sport career, I've spent about an hour total racing online, about five hours doing licenses and challenges and stuff, about 20 hours livery editing and about 30 hours just driving around doing time trials in VR.
How to you like the VR? I have both (PSVR and GT:S) but haven't tried it yet.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they got the online system down so the single player should be their main focus.

They did not get their online system "down" at all. They started with a barebones, feature-poor execution and have done almost nothing to improve upon it in the years since launch. DriveClub did online-focused racing 100x better due to better integration of the social aspect. You still can't even race against your friends' track times in GTS! Private lobbies still have race-ruining bugs that were present since launch. It's appalling. Let alone the penalty system which is still a mess. And most of the updates have been releases for single-player cars, not ones that can be used in the namesake Sport mode. The Ferrari 458 is still being used there in GR3 and GR4, while the 488 long ago replaced it in real-life competitions. The McLaren 720S GT3 just raced at Bathurst a couple weeks ago and the car is nowhere to be seen in GT Sport.

So no, if PD set out to make their mark in online racing, they failed. People are racing online in GTS because of the driving feel of the GT engine, not because the online is great.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope for the next one they can take their efforts on GTS and carry it forward. I'd hate for a would-be "GT7" to come out and it feel like we are starting from scratch again.

So you want another GT5 situation with GT4-GT5. What has GTS done so good other than the livery customization and scapes. Theres really nothing to carry over imo. They just need a ps5 port and move on and make a new gt7.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So you want another GT5 situation with GT4-GT5. What has GTS done so good other than the livery customization and scapes. Theres really nothing to carry over imo. They just need a ps5 port and move on and make a new gt7.
I don't think the situations are comparable really, but what I would like to avoid is another GTS situation.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Past GT sell-in data as September 2017:

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890,000
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560,000
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue 1,400,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,760,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 5,350,000
Gran Turismo PSP 4,670,000
Gran Turismo 5 11,950,000
Gran Turismo 6 5,220,000

Users as February 2020:
Gran Turismo Sport 8,200,000

I'd love to see revenue data since GTS has been sub £20 since a few weeks after launch at least in the U.K.

God of War and Horizon are regularly available for under a tenner too, Spider-Man under £15. It certainly makes some of the LTD numbers much less impressive to me but publishers love boasting about number of players or copies sold nowadays regardless of revenue.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could have done much better with a much more fleshed out gt at launch.

If polyphony do stupid shit like barebones GT game again they deserve to fail, as I doubt fans will put up with being giving scraps again. I'm surprised Sony let them release such a pathetic attempt at a gt game considering they are one of there premier studios.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
So no, if PD set out to make their mark in online racing, they failed. People are racing online in GTS because of the driving feel of the GT engine, not because the online is great.

You got that all wrong buddy.

It has pretty much the best online system of any racing game ever (aside from the currently busted penalty system).

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Some fanfic I'm writing, right? But this part is gold

Yeah, this is absolutely still fanfic pulled from your ass still, lol. I mean, you have literally no argument that's even slightly convincing, no evidence of it on any level, just completely baseless but I'm to take your word... because drivatars/demos.

If you have even a shred of anything slightly verifiable, I'd take you at that point.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, this is absolutely still fanfic pulled from your ass still, lol. I mean, you have literally no argument that's even slightly convincing, no evidence of it on any level, just completely baseless but I'm to take your word... because drivatars/demos.

If you have even a shred of anything slightly verifiable, I'd take you at that point.

They are literally incorporating your player data from the demo by creating a Drivatar, and you think thats not included in the player number when the game is essentially tallying the player numbers with that system?

Downplay it anyway you can though as its all you can do in this back and forth.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They are literally incorporating your player data from the demo by creating a Drivatar, and you think thats not included in the player number when the game is essentially tallying the player numbers with that system?

Downplay it anyway you can though as its all you can do in this back and forth.

Once again, you simply mentioning that drivatars exist is not doing you any favors in your leap of conclusion, zero correlation.

I'm not downplaying anything, there is nothing to downplay considering this is literally just you making shit up. Honestly funny accusation though considering YOU are the one actively attempting to downplay numbers and all I did was ask for your source on any of it; which is apparently still from your ass, lmao.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017

If polyphony do stupid shit like barebones GT game again they deserve to fail, as I doubt fans will put up with being giving scraps again. I'm surprised Sony let them release such a pathetic attempt at a gt game considering they are one of there premier studios.
That is one thing I don't even realize how this got through Sony's management. And all the time PD spent on it. If PD needed help, I hope Sony can give it to them next game.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

It wasn't ideal but fans didn't mind less content because the quality was off the charts in what was there and they pioneered online racing that wasn't available on console and still isn't outside of GTS.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
It wasn't ideal but fans didn't mind less content because the quality was off the charts in what was there and they pioneered online racing that wasn't available on console and still isn't outside of GTS.
Was it? I played at launch and when I got in a race it was mostly good, but nothing ground breaking. The penalty system didn't seem to do much in the races I was in as people still drove like assholes in bumper cars, but that was at launch so maybe it's different now.

I've been playing online racing games on consoles for over 15 years, so I'm not sure what they pioneered. I'd love to get back into it, but are the races still scheduled between a few races each day?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Was it? I played at launch and when I got in a race it was mostly good, but nothing ground breaking. The penalty system didn't seem to do much in the races I was in as people still drove like assholes in bumper cars, but that was at launch so maybe it's different now.

I've been playing online racing games on consoles for over 15 years, so I'm not sure what they pioneered. I'd love to get back into it, but are the races still scheduled between a few races each day?
Yeah the penalty system made racing fun. There would be a few assholes but they'd quickly get pushed down the the bottom tier and you wouldn't have to deal with them. It's the only racing game I enjoy online because of it. I tried GT5 and 6 online but they sucked and I never went back.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah the penalty system made racing fun. There would be a few assholes but they'd quickly get pushed down the the bottom tier and you wouldn't have to deal with them. It's the only racing game I enjoy online because of it. I tried GT5 and 6 online but they sucked and I never went back.
I'll give it a try again sometime, but it wasn't that much different when I tried it last. The most enjoyable console racing game I've played was PGR 2, and that was more than 15 years ago, because the racing was fun (and rewarding) regardless of whether you were in first so it kept the jerks to a minimum since there wasn't much they could do.

Do you still need to wait for the scheduled races on set tracks every day?

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
I see that the Spec II version of this game is going to be on sale on PSN tomorrow. It looks like it's just paying some extra to skip some grinding. Is this worth it for a new player or should I just get the base game?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I see that the Spec II version of this game is going to be on sale on PSN tomorrow. It looks like it's just paying some extra to skip some grinding. Is this worth it for a new player or should I just get the base game?

It depends a lot on the price. Spec II credits aren't that high to make a huge difference.

The biggest advantage of the Spec II version is that almost all of the DLCs that have been released are already on the disc. If you buy the base game, I believe you will have to download more than 50gb of updates.