• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Plus some other stats, is it me or is insane that people took 37 million photographs in the last 11 months?
Kazunori Yamauchi's opening presentation at the GT Sport World Tour Sydney event has revealed some extraordinary numbers for the game. Speaking to players, the media, and the crowd inside the Big Top at Luna Sport, the series' creator spoke of the dedication of the game's fans.

You can see the headline stats above. GT Sport now has some 8.2 million users, which represents an increase of 1.2 million compared with 12 months ago. In fact the game recently passed its nine-millionth registered account, which suggests more than a few people have been a little naughty.

Those millions of users have now racked up a combined 25.5 billion miles (41bn km) of driving. For stats fans, that's broadly the equivalent of driving to the Voyager 1 space probe — the farthest man-made object from Earth — and back, with a little trip to Jupiter to spare.

That means that the average GT Sport player has around 3,000 miles (5000km) under their belts, accumulated from almost a billion races in total. They've also spent over 34,500 years on the track — which, interestingly means that the average speed in GT Sport is 84.2mph.

These figures all represent a huge increase over the numbers from in 2019. Yamauchi made a similar presentation at the Paris curtain-raiser, and it's fair to say that the players are engaging more than ever. The mileage figure alone is an astonishing increase of 17 billion compared to a year ago, but it's not just on-track where the numbers increase.

Players have taken another 37m photographs in the last 11 months — more than they did in the 17 months from the game's launch through to March 2019 — and made another 30m vehicle liveries, or about 10 apiece. If you're still competing in the FIA events with a standard car livery, chances are you'll stick out.

www.gtplanet.net

GT Sport Players Have Driven 25 BILLION Miles, in Almost a Billion Races

Kazunori Yamauchi's opening presentation at the GT Sport World Tour Sydney event has revealed some extraordinary numbers for the game. Speaking to players, the media, and the crowd inside the Big Top at Luna Sport, the series' creator spoke of the dedication of the game's fans. You can see the he

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The greatest online racing game of this generation hopefully the next game they make a good single player stuff

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
In my GT Sport career, I've spent about an hour total racing online, about five hours doing licenses and challenges and stuff, about 20 hours livery editing and about 30 hours just driving around doing time trials in VR.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not difficult to understand why given the continued development and support that Polyphony have given the game since it came out.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Just started it last month for the single player stuff and the scape mode! The game looks phenominal!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The greatest online racing game of this generation hopefully the next game they make a good single player stuff
Sounded like that's the full intent when they confirmed working on the next GT last year. With seemingly GT Sport (or the evolution of it) being the online side of things.

"Thankfully, Gran Turismo series creator Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed that the next Gran Turismo is in development with the studio eager to take its time and learn the right lessons from the release of the somewhat controversial GT Sport. "I think in terms of races themselves and physics GT Sport has really reached the best place that we've ever reached – we're at a very good place,"

Polyphony is hard at work creating new content for GT Sport, all in an effort to remedy the lack of single-player content the game initially launched with. That means that Gran Turismo PS5 is the most likely outcome here, although whether it's GT Sport 2 or Gran Turismo 7 remains to be seen. Yamauchi offered only this as a suggestion: "I think the next title that we're going to create will be a combination of the past, present and future – a complete form of Gran Turismo." "

www.gamesradar.com

The next Gran Turismo is in development, and it will be a "combination of the past, present and future" of the series

There's still work to be done on GT Sport, but Polyphony Digital is already looking to the future

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Plus some other stats, is it me or is insane that people took 37 million photographs in the last 11 months?
I think the livery stat is more amazing. 37m photos means about 4 each and it doesn't take long to make a photo. 30m liveries is about 3 each, but it takes a more substantial amount of time to make a livery (on average - I'm sure a lot of them are super-basic, but the more complex ones are going to have taken ages).

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my GT Sport career, I've spent about an hour total racing online, about five hours doing licenses and challenges and stuff, about 20 hours livery editing and about 30 hours just driving around doing time trials in VR.
Wow, era is really the place to be...... Hello my lost twin brother. I always knew you were there and finally i found you!

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
It's a good online racing game, but I had hoped for something the scale of a GT6 for a PS4 title.

I however can't really enjoy it fully with that penalty system, it started too strict and ended up too lenient.

But the PS5 is just around the corner...I really hope we'll see a GT7 :)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Past GT sell-in data as September 2017:

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890,000
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560,000
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue 1,400,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,760,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 5,350,000
Gran Turismo PSP 4,670,000
Gran Turismo 5 11,950,000
Gran Turismo 6 5,220,000

Users as February 2020:
Gran Turismo Sport 8,200,000

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Reminds me of MMO stats. How many active users? The quote implies it's 8.2M, but that's really unclear.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Seems low given the franchise track record and PS4's historical popularity. I would've figured over 10m shipped tbh.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Reminds me of MMO stats. How many active users? The quote implies it's 8.2M, but that's really unclear.

Yeah, the whole "players" or "users" thing is (intentionally) hazy. Forza Horizon 4 hit 12 million players back in August, but didn't say how many were still active users.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Seems low given the franchise track record and PS4's historical popularity. I would've figured over 10m shipped tbh.

Racing games have been dying over the years but driving simulators have been dying even faster, so the fact that GT has such big sales after it launched with small features and content makes the sales is incredibly high.

Remember, Sony has a bunch of series that have hit those numbers now and that they are much more invested in from the start. GT Sport felt like it never got a proper push and Polpyphony had to get to those numbers with great support/frequent free content updates.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for them, but at the same time it should have been more. Sometimes it feels like Sony just arbitrarily decided they didn't want this to be a big series anymore.

Hopefully the next game is ready early in PS5's life and is back to its 10 mil + selling ways.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Racing games have been dying over the years but driving simulators have been dying even faster, so the fact that GT has such big sales after it launched with small features and content makes the sales is incredibly high.

Remember, Sony has a bunch of series that have hit those numbers now and that they are much more invested in from the start. GT Sport felt like it never got a proper push and Polpyphony had to get to those numbers with great support/frequent free content updates.
8.2m (total?) users implies much lower sales, maybe as low at GT6 really. It's just a bit surprising given the pedigree we're talking about and I think this might be Sony's only major franchise that actually dropped in sales going from PS3 to PS4.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I bought it in january, it's a great game! There is a lot to do between driving school, challenges, solo races, arcade mode, online races, liveries editor and, my favorite, photo scapes mode. And from my experience the online is still very active, I never had a problem to find a race online.
I'm glad the game is doing well.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
8.2m (total?) users implies much lower sales, maybe as low at GT6 really. It's just a bit surprising given the pedigree we're talking about and I think this might be Sony's only major franchise that actually dropped in sales going from PS3 to PS4.

GT6 sold less than GT Sport (which has been out about 2 years now), and its because it released on PS3 a month after the PS4 launched. Not only that, but the market trends continue shifting against the genre.

GT is only still seeing sales close to 10 million because of its quality and how well known it still is. It doesn't mean it is somehow not going to be affected by the change in consumer tastes or be immune to missteps the developers themselves made at launch. But the fact that its sales are still climbing at 1.2 million new users in the measurement of year is quite astounding.

Since GT hasn't been Sony's biggest series for a while now, I believe they were much less behind GT Sport than their biggest PS4 exclusives so this really bodes well for Gran Turismo PS5.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Good for them, but at the same time it should have been more. Sometimes it feels like Sony just arbitrarily decided they didn't want this to be a big series anymore.

Hopefully the next game is ready early in PS5's life and is back to its 10 mil + selling ways.
I think GT6 spooked them. There was a very obviously good reason why it didn't sell like other games in the series (since the PS4 had just released, and GT6 was trapped on PS3). Even considering that though, to go from 11m+ sales to below 6m must have been a shock, especially since a huge number of GT6 sales were due to fast, deep discounts (like mine - the game released on December 6th 2013 at full price, I ordered it from Amazon UK on January 31st, 2014, for UK£16.63).

Discounts and sales helped other GT games as well, of course, but with GT6 it seems like the discounts were deeper and started earlier (almost immediately). GT6 sold about half the amount of GT5 but I wouldn't be surprised if it only brought in a third or a quarter of the overall revenue - and GT5's revenue would be even higher if we included GT5 Prologue.

With GT Sport, I'd agree that they screwed up the initial messaging and should have done a better job, but I'm not sure how many more copies the game might have expected to sell. By now, it's got an active community, a huge amount of content (including single-player content), it's getting continuous updates containing both cars and tracks, and it's at a permanently low price as part of the PlayStation Hits range. Its sales trajectory is probably pretty close to the best that Sony could have hoped for at this point and it may well reach 10m eventually.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
GT6 sold less than GT Sport (which has been out about 2 years now), and its because it released on PS3 a month after the PS4 launched. Not only that, but the market trends continue shifting against the genre.

GT is only still seeing sales close to 10 million because of its quality and how well known it still is. It doesn't mean it is somehow not going to be affected by the change in consumer tastes or be immune to missteps the developers themselves made at launch. But the fact that its sales are still climbing at 1.2 million new users in the measurement of year is quite astounding.

Since GT hasn't been Sony's biggest series for a while now, I believe they were much less behind GT Sport than their biggest PS4 exclusives so this really bodes well for Gran Turismo PS5.
Sales for Sport aren't anywhere close to 10m though. Users =/= Sales.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Sales for Sport aren't anywhere close to 10m though. Users =/= Sales.

With it 8.2 million users, its definitely on its way to getting to 10 million sales. Its not 1:1 but it would be silly to think that the games sales aren't close to the amount of users it has when it is still seeing strong new content output each month

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
With it 8.2 million users, its definitely on its way to getting to 10 million sales. Its not 1:1 but it would be silly to think that the games sales aren't close to the amount of users it has when it is still seeing strong new content output each month
No, that's not how sales/users works at all. 8.2m users now means GTS will probably never ship 10m units.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Please enlighten me then
Users are just a metric of people who've installed or started the software. They don't have to be a "sale" to do that, they could rent the game, borrow the game, buy it second hand, get it through a subscription service, or various other means. You can't reasonably equate sales and users directly.

To draw a comparison Forza Horizon 4 passed 12m users last August with monthly active users (MAU) passing 4m. Do you think FH4 has sold close to 12 million copies?

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
GTSport had a rough start if anyone was around for the launch. I bought it at launch, and I can tell you, the game was really bad at launch. It felt like a demo. Not a lot of tracks, the cars were super sparse, the "modding" of cars for all intents and purposes was gone and online was super barebones. And I didn't even hit on the fact that single player was basically not existent. Single player isn't just import for offline play, but as something to kind of hone your skills and have some kind of campaign. And it's not that I would have been mad if it was online-only, but the online component wasn't even up to snuff. The driver rating system was really finicky at launch, you never knew if you or the other person would be penalized.

Bottom line, for what the game offered at launch, it was not worth $59.99. From GT6, the game felt completely stripped down, and it's not like it felt like it gained a lighter and completely innovative experience. The game felt completely hallow. I really like the game now, but I think that was really the game that finally turned me off buying games day one. Now I just wait for 3 months to a year after launch to let the devs work out the kinks and price to drop significantly.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Users are just a metric of people who've installed or started the software. They don't have to be a "sale" to do that, they could rent the game, borrow the game, buy it second hand, get it through a subscription service, or various other means. You can't reasonably equate sales and users directly.

This is saying a whole lotta nothing since it is quite obvious, but the amount of users it has gotten in the last year alone signify they are largely sales. The amount of content being created each month and released reflects that too. The game also just had a Spec 2.0 version released....

The article even states that 9 million accounts have been created when there are 8.2 million users, meaning the sales are much closer to that number while you are acting as if I am going by the 9 million (which your entire argument seems more suited for)

To draw a comparison Forza Horizon 4 passed 12m users last August with monthly active users (MAU) passing 4m. Do you think FH4 has sold close to 12 million copies?

Does Sony have Game Pass, was Gran Turismo Sport being advertised to play for $1 if you subscribe for a month? With Forza Horizon 4, clearly most of those numbers are based on Game Pass users.

If Sony had something similar then you'd actually have a point with that...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This is saying a whole lotta nothing since it is quite obvious, but the amount of users it has gotten in the last year alone signify they are largely sales. The amount of content being created each month and released reflects that too. The game also just had a Spec 2.0 version released....

The article even states that 9 million accounts have been created when there are 8.2 million users, meaning the sales are much closer to that number while you are acting as if I am going by the 9 million (which your entire argument seems more suited for)

Does Sony have Game Pass, was Gran Turismo Sport being advertised to play for $1 if you subscribe for a month? With Forza Motorsport 4, clearly most of those numbers are based on Game Pass users.

If Sony had something similar then you'd actually have a point with that...
Okay, FH3 hit 9 million users before FH4 launched and before it was added to GP. You think FH3 sold close to 9m copies?

Also account creation doesn't equate to sales either, you could create a GTS profile from the demo.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Okay, FH3 hit 9 million users before FH4 launched and before it was added to GP. You think FH3 sold close to 9m copies?

Also account creation doesn't equate to sales either, you could create a GTS profile from the demo.

Buddy, we going in circles here. MS counts anyone who installed the FH3 demo on their Xbox or PC as a user, Polyphony talks about users who have actively driven in the game. The sales aren't 1:1, but you are acting like a huge amount of users HAVE to be non-sales when every other indicator says otherwise.

I suggest you read this

www.gtplanet.net

Gran Turismo Sport Has Sold an Estimated 8 Million Copies

A recent report from a hedge fund has suggested a new sales figure for Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo Sport. It's a big one too, with the copy total coming in at an estimated 8 million. That headline figure comes about midway through a massive 102-page document called "A Stronger Sony". In it,

This is from last year where sales were estimated based on various data. No one in their right mind would be fighting against GT Sport's sales like you are lol

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Buddy, we going in circles here. MS counts anyone who installed the FH3 demo on their Xbox or PC as a user, Polyphony talks about users who have actively driven in the game. The sales aren't 1:1, but you are acting like a huge amount of users HAVE to be non-sales when every other indicator says otherwise.

I suggest you read this

www.gtplanet.net

Gran Turismo Sport Has Sold an Estimated 8 Million Copies

A recent report from a hedge fund has suggested a new sales figure for Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo Sport. It's a big one too, with the copy total coming in at an estimated 8 million. That headline figure comes about midway through a massive 102-page document called "A Stronger Sony". In it,

This is from last year where sales were estimated based on various data. No one in their right mind would be fighting against GT Sport's sales like you are lol
You'll need to source MS using FH3 demo users as counting towards full game users. And of course they count PC users, why wouldn't they when it's also a PC game?

Did you read that article btw? It's using Gamstats user figures (which were over 8 million at the time) to arrive at the reported 8m sold rationale and a retweet/response from Yoshida as some sort of confirmation. The most relevant figures in there are probably the old GT franchise sales indicating roughly 3.3m for Sport at a time when PD put users at 5.5m. That's actually more like the ratio you should expect here.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017

GTS isn't hitting 10 mil sales yes. But if we're drawing FH4 comparisons GTS sales should be ALOT closer to that revealed users number than FH4 cause of gamepass.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
GTS isn't hitting 10 mil sales yes. But if we're drawing FH4 comparisons GTS sales should be ALOT closer to that revealed users number than FH4 cause of gamepass.
I agree with that, we're seeing GP push user figures significantly. I think we'll see GTS get a sizable bump too whenever it's added to Plus and/or Now.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope for the next one they can take their efforts on GTS and carry it forward. I'd hate for a would-be "GT7" to come out and it feel like we are starting from scratch again.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I love the game, but I wish they would remove PSN+ requirement.

Its the only online game I want to play, but don't want to pay for a sub.

Also bring back some of the classic tracks!

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
GTSport had a rough start if anyone was around for the launch. I bought it at launch, and I can tell you, the game was really bad at launch. It felt like a demo. Not a lot of tracks, the cars were super sparse, the "modding" of cars for all intents and purposes was gone and online was super barebones. And I didn't even hit on the fact that single player was basically not existent. Single player isn't just import for offline play, but as something to kind of hone your skills and have some kind of campaign. And it's not that I would have been mad if it was online-only, but the online component wasn't even up to snuff. The driver rating system was really finicky at launch, you never knew if you or the other person would be penalized.

Bottom line, for what the game offered at launch, it was not worth $59.99. From GT6, the game felt completely stripped down, and it's not like it felt like it gained a lighter and completely innovative experience. The game felt completely hallow. I really like the game now, but I think that was really the game that finally turned me off buying games day one. Now I just wait for 3 months to a year after launch to let the devs work out the kinks and price to drop significantly.

The sales at launch definitely reflected what you just wrote here as it seems a lot of people felt that way. The game launched at full price and was quickly discounted a few weeks after (some retailers in Germany slashed the price by 50% and the Day One Edition was still available many, many months after launch).

But it looks they turned the ship around and it's now doing really well for them. So congrats because I certainly didn't believe they would achieve after the rocky start.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You'll need to source MS using FH3 demo users as counting towards full game users. And of course they count PC users, why wouldn't they when it's also a PC game?

MS has done it with every game this gen, if your account is tied to it to some way then you are one of its users With FH3 there is a demo for anyone to download. MS even announced that Killer Instinct had a 7 million players when it was Xbox One exclusive from the character rotations they give out free to try in the demo when KI is one of the least played fighters this gen.

Did you read that article btw? It's using Gamstats user figures (which were over 8 million at the time) to arrive at the reported 8m sold rationale and a retweet/response from Yoshida as some sort of confirmation. The most relevant figures in there are probably the old GT franchise sales indicating roughly 3.3m for Sport at a time when PD put users at 5.5m. That's actually more like the ratio you should expect here.

They were doing a rough estimation when the numbers of the series had switched to sold-in so not even that is accurate. Given the change, it could have been closer to 4 million. Its hard to imagine how closer to half the game's users of 5.5 million players would be from non-bought copies in just about being half a year on the market.

Either way, going back and forth on this isn't going anywhere. All we can be sure is that the game continues to sell as it has gotten a lot of new players and a new version released to buy recently.