• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The definitive racing game of this generation. Sport mode will no doubt be copied by Forza for the next iteration.

Hopefully PS5 enables the same game to have VR online and in all modes. The VR is incredibly immersive, but just too much for the PS4 Pro even.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
MS has done it with every game this gen, if your account is tied to it to some way then you are one of its users With FH3 there is a demo for anyone to download. MS even announced that Killer Instinct had a 7 million players when it was Xbox One exclusive from the character rotations they give out free to try in the demo when KI is one of the least played fighters this gen.
Microsoft announced 6m users for KI in 2016 after the PC port had released. KI is f2p anyway so why are you even bringing it up here? If you don't have a source for what you're claiming (that MS counts demo users in full game users) then not responding at all would be better than this sort of irrelevant deflection.

They were doing a rough estimation when the numbers of the series had switched to sold-in so not even that is accurate. Given the change, it could have been closer to 4 million. Its hard to imagine how closer to half the game's users of 5.5 million players would be from non-bought copies in just about being half a year on the market.

Either way, going back and forth on this isn't going anywhere. All we can be sure is that the game continues to sell as it has gotten a lot of new players and a new version released to buy recently.
Sell-through on older catalog titles would be close to sell-in anyway. It's really just GT Sport that would've had any notable inventory in channel at that point and unless you think it had around 700k sitting on shelves then no it wouldn't have been close to 4m.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
MS has done it with every game this gen, if your account is tied to it to some way then you are one of its users With FH3 there is a demo for anyone to download. MS even announced that Killer Instinct had a 7 million players when it was Xbox One exclusive from the character rotations they give out free to try in the demo when KI is one of the least played fighters this gen.

They were doing a rough estimation when the numbers of the series had switched to sold-in so not even that is accurate. Given the change, it could have been closer to 4 million. Its hard to imagine how closer to half the game's users of 5.5 million players would be from non-bought copies in just about being half a year on the market.

Either way, going back and forth on this isn't going anywhere. All we can be sure is that the game continues to sell as it has gotten a lot of new players and a new version released to buy recently.

I see a lot of text but no source. Sounds like tall tales, frankly.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Why are we talking about Forza in here? One of the most consistently great racing franchises and we're fortunate to get them, but this ain't the place for it.

Congrats Poly, I hope they have a smoother launch for their next title.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft announced 6m users for KI in 2016 after the PC port had released. KI is f2p anyway so why are you even bringing it up here? If you don't have a source for what you're claiming (that MS counts demo users in full game users) then not responding at all would be better than this sort of irrelevant deflection.

Drivatars get created whether you play the demo or buy the game, you are incorporated into the user base/player numbers. They have never said this in an explicit statement, but they were never claiming sales to begin with. Its the same thing with a F2P game or beta test, they are looking for user engagement to use in PR pieces.

There would be no other way for FH3 to reach 9 million so fast like that especially when Game Pass was still barely taking off.

Sell-through on older catalog titles would be close to sell-in anyway. It's really just GT Sport that would've had any notable inventory in channel at that point and unless you think it had around 700k sitting on shelves then no it wouldn't have been close to 4m.

Its an inaccurate conversion either way because the standard was changed and they are dealing with a ballpark amount. If they had the numbers and just had to subtract and what was left was the number, I'd understand. But the estimate could have easily been 700k off when it was trying to weigh it across the franchise history of 80.5 million. Even they said they guessstimate a "(very rough) 3.3 million".

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth it if you just want to play it as a SP game or is it completely online dependent?
There is a ton of SP content. There's arguably almost too much in its latest incarnation. I've played online for only a few hours when the game launched, with the majority of the other hours being with the SP content, VR, and taking pictures. I find it to be a really relaxing and high-quality game that is easy to come back to.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The definitive racing game of this generation. Sport mode will no doubt be copied by Forza for the next iteration.
Yeah no.
Maybe for the Sport mode, but definitely not the definitive racing game this gen when Forza Horizon 3 and 4 exist. Especially when you still need to get online.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no.
Maybe for the Sport mode, but definitely not the definitive racing game this gen when Forza Horizon 3 and 4 exist. Especially when you still need to get online.

Forza Horizon 3/4 are primarily enjoyed for being good driving games, not good racing games. To the extent they feature racing they do a poor job.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
There is a ton of SP content. There's arguably almost too much in its latest incarnation. I've played online for only a few hours when the game launched, with the majority of the other hours being with the SP content, VR, and taking pictures. I find it to be a really relaxing and high-quality game that is easy to come back to.

How is it compared to per say Driveclub? (I am playing that right now and never played a GT game before lol)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
How is it compared to per say Driveclub? (I am playing that right now and never played a GT game before lol)
They're two very different games. I think of Driveclub as an arcade-style racing game dressed up in realistic graphics. Forza Motorsport is kind of in-between Driveclub and GT for me. It's more sim-like in structure/presentation, but still feels arcadey.

I like the goals you are encouraged to hit in each race in DC though, and I had fun with it for a little while. GT is more about the sportsmanship of racing and the appreciation of car history and culture. I think it looks pretty phenomenal on PS4 Pro and gameplay runs at 60fps.

My personal bias is that I have been into Japanese car culture since the 80s/90s, so GT's importance to me (especially the first game) can't be understated. It peaked as a series for me with GT3 and GT4, but the commitment to craftsmanship and detail in GTS takes me back to those days in a lot of ways. There's still a sterility that the series adopted in the PS3 era that GTS can't shake, but that's a personal preference thing. Lots of folks like how classy and pristine it is, but I want some of that grassroots dirtiness and hobbyist/enthusiast feel that made the culture accessible and welcoming to struggling teens like me in the first place.

That's probably way more gibberish than you wanted, but I have feelings about this series. LOL

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
They messed up dropping the campaign stuff at launch but have made up for it with their best-in-class post-release support. Here's hoping GT7 hits the ground running.

gamstat

Mar 17, 2019
Mmh that means gamstat is quitte off the mark on this one

GT Sports mentions 10.1 "total profiles" (includes beta players), based on the extraction from gran-turismo.com, which is close to my estimate.

They are also not sure how this discrepancy can be explained.

There 1.4m difference between the new PD slide and the extraction from gran-turismo.com.
Possible two reasons:

1) The PD slide data is old.
2) There are suspended accounts (I did update some accounts that before have stat 1 and now have null) so I will do some research about... if that is the case I will have to update to update about 8 million profiles.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First mainline GT I haven't bought. Good to hear it's being supported and has got a ton of content compared to release. My best friend used to play on Xbox, switched to PS4 this gen and bought this a couple of months ago. He went ahead and bought the wheel already, he's loving it lol

Really hope GT7 when released has a very extensive and hopefully inventive/unique single player campaign.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Drivatars get created whether you play the demo or buy the game, you are incorporated into the user base/player numbers. They have never said this in an explicit statement, but they were never claiming sales to begin with. Its the same thing with a F2P game or beta test, they are looking for user engagement to use in PR pieces.

There would be no other way for FH3 to reach 9 million so fast like that especially when Game Pass was still barely taking off.
So no source then, only PR conspiracy theories. I should've figured.

Its an inaccurate conversion either way because the standard was changed and they are dealing with a ballpark amount. If they had the numbers and just had to subtract and what was left was the number, I'd understand. But the estimate could have easily been 700k off when it was trying to weigh it across the franchise history of 80.5 million. Even they said they guessstimate a "(very rough) 3.3 million".
It doesn't matter that methods changed because sold is going to be essentially the same as shipped on legacy titles. Only GTS would see any meaningful change between sell-in and sell-through in 2018+ and so it's pretty easy to estimate it's sales by subtracting shipments on those legacy games. If anything doing this is more likely to inflate GTS sales slightly too.

And yes the 3.3m is a ballpark estimate but it's the best number we've got. Theratio there between sold through and 5.5m players seems reasonable too, far more reasonable than saying GTS has sold close to 10m based of 8.2m users now.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Seems like they're very happy with the engagement. The move to a service title has definitely paid off but I really hope we don't have to wait half a generation for new Gran Turismo on PS5.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
My favorite Gran Turismo. It's been 2 weeks since I played it, but I fired it up this week to do some Sports mode races, and it still is an absolute treat.

Incredible just how easy it is to jump into evenly matched clean races. Everyone and their mother will copy this format (which is based on iRacing, I know).

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no.
It's way better than any mainline forza game and it's neck and neck with forza horizon.

And yes the 3.3m is a ballpark estimate but it's the best number we've got. Theratio there between sold through and 5.5m players seems reasonable too, far more reasonable than saying GTS has sold close to 10m based of 8.2m users now.
you seem to be Pretending that it's doing worst than it is. Why is that?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have that backwards, I just don't believe sales are magically higher than users somehow.
No you are pretending that sales couldn't be higher than the 3.3 million or even the 5 million you quoted but there are way more users than that now I know it's not a 1:1 translation but saying there is 8 million users could definitely mean that 6-7 million sales are possible.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Disappointing that the initial poor marketing and FUD around the game damaged the sales of this GT.

It's the best racing game this gen by far, it deserved better.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No you are pretending that sales couldn't be higher than the 3.3 million or even the 5 million you quoted but there are way more users than that now I know it's not a 1:1 translation but saying there is 8 million users could definitely mean that 6-7 million sales are possible.
Wrong. Go back and reread the conversation.

6-7m sales is exactly what I was saying was likely based on 8.2m users, lol

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So no source then, only PR conspiracy theories. I should've figured.

I gave you a valid and factual explanation, but you seem incapable of accepting anything, AT ALL, I tell you lol.

It doesn't matter that methods changed because sold is going to be essentially the same as shipped on legacy titles. Only GTS would see any meaningful change between sell-in and sell-through in 2018+ and so it's pretty easy to estimate it's sales by subtracting shipments on those legacy games. If anything doing this is more likely to inflate GTS sales slightly too.

Nope its not, you are assuming that the numbers are the same when the conversion literally changed all the totals. Actual sales recognized on shipped units is never as high as the actual shipments, and given its across the series it can easily add about a million sales when the amount of players is more than 2.3 million higher than the estimated units sold.

And we may not know the numbers but even if its 7 million copies sold out of 8.2 million users, its on its way to 10 million sold. We can at least end this pointless exchange on that note

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The PS3 was hard to develop for, but there were 2 GT games released... both selling alot of copies.

PS4 is WAAAY more easier to develop for... but they only released one game? (I know its a different approach for the series)

Is this what they are going to do for PS5? Release one game? Are they making that much money from Online?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I love how every time a GT game releases (since GT4), it launches with numbers that gets people worked up and concerned. But then a few years go by and it manages to just leg its way to a solid sell through. Gran Turismo has all been a game with incredible long term sell legs.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
8.2m (total?) users implies much lower sales, maybe as low at GT6 really. It's just a bit surprising given the pedigree we're talking about and I think this might be Sony's only major franchise that actually dropped in sales going from PS3 to PS4.
Nah it doesn't imply a huge difference. The game hasn't been given away on Plus or Now. By four years in it will likely be on par with other historical GT games or at least GT2.

I love how every time a GT game releases (since GT4), it launches with numbers that gets people worked up and concerned. But then a few years go by and it manages to just leg its way to a solid sell through. Gran Turismo has all been a game with incredible long term sell legs.
Most people don't realize that those old GT games took years to get to 10M. GT3 had a good 5 years on the market and was bundled heavily too.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racing games have been dying over the years but driving simulators have been dying even faster, so the fact that GT has such big sales after it launched with small features and content makes the sales is incredibly high.

Remember, Sony has a bunch of series that have hit those numbers now and that they are much more invested in from the start. GT Sport felt like it never got a proper push and Polpyphony had to get to those numbers with great support/frequent free content updates.
GT:S was also on pretty much firesale pricing a few scant months after release. Bomba style pricing inLate November which resulted in megaton sales. I dont think it ever went back to full price but that's partially why it never got a real boost from the marketing side of playstation. Previous GT games would have lasted full price for at least one full holiday season. Sport never even had that chance.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
Game of the generation. And best console racer by far ! Been playing since release and with the way they supported the game with free dlc is just amazing!
I play it daily and love it !

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Most of those 37million photos were me looking for the select button

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
GT:S was also on pretty much firesale pricing a few scant months after release. Bomba style pricing inLate November which resulted in megaton sales. I dont think it ever went back to full price but that's partially why it never got a real boost from the marketing side of playstation. Previous GT games would have lasted full price for at least one full holiday season. Sport never even had that chance.
It was the holidays. Even Call of Duty dropped in price. It went back up and didn't get an official price drop till October 2018.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Weird how they hit such a high number, yet theres still this pent-up demand for gt7.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

I dunno, feels like you're just making the claim without any evidence. Killer Instinct never had a demo, you know it's incorrect to even attempt to frame it that way, it's a F2P game with a variety of convenient purchasing options.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Here in the US, it was barely marketed because the market for the genre shrunk so much. It wasn't going to get Uncharted 4 or Horizon: Zero Dawn traction so the efforts to push it were light at best. The probably thought brand recognition would be enough, but it had very little content when it actually launched. Not many people could justify buying it at full price like with SFV, but games like that grow over time so entry price doesn't affect it nearly as much.

And GT Sport was an experiment and Sony pretty much treated it as one till it because they now have many series that have grown bigger than GT. I believe the next GT is going to be much more traditional and Sony seeing how strong the series still is will make it give it a proper backing.

I dunno, feels like you're just making the claim without any evidence. Killer Instinct never had a demo, you know it's incorrect to even attempt to frame it that way, it's a F2P game with a variety of convenient purchasing options.

Sorry it is a demo in my mind since you don't keep the characters and they rotate to try. And I know this is just a forum where people can't help but be have as such saying "Give me sauces, support specific evidence that I know MS would never disclose!" but nothing I have said was contradictory from what MS actually does.

Player numbers have always been big numbers to tout that can easily be amassed, and something where a F2P download of KI is another player and the FH3 demo on Xbox and Windows created a Drivatar and could be counted as a player are perfect to get those mult-million player engagement PR pieces. Yet evidence is needed for things that are self-evident, apparently.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I really wanna play this for the VR, but I absolutely can't do sim games. Cool to see it doing so well though- I remember early reception being kinda meh.