• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
The mission structure was already dated back in 2013. It's astonishing how little they've changed since GTA 3. These games are just so incredibly shallow and after almost 2 decades the novelty of a game where you can drive a car and shoot people has seriously worn off.
I mean how can you say it's "worn off" when it's sold 110 million copies, third highest selling game of all time and constantly in the top sale charts 6 years running?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only if it controls and feels well. Come on Rockstar. All that potential and still I find your games don't feel right.
Rockstar shall not be constrained by your notions of "good controls," you will L2 R2 L2 R2 L2 R2 until the cows come home and you will clumsily trundle around while mashing a button to sprint and you will like it, you scum.

Feb 10, 2018
I think things will start to cross the barrier of weird, Because it will seem to real, especially if it's next gen only.

Even if it has RDR2s realism, npc interaction and random events, all that in a modern city will be pretty mind blowing.

With modern tech, budget, time, talent and dev size they will be able to evolve the open world genre by making the subtle things possible, things like a steamy back alley with some crazy homeless ranting and raving with realistic facial and body animation.

We have so far to go in just how people move and behave, to me this is far more important then just improving visuals, although better visuals will help.

If you just take any ordinary encounter out of everyday life video games are very poor Imitations of them.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It better be vice city or housers can fuck off.

Will buy anyway lol

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Rockstar shall not be constrained by your notions of "good controls," you will L2 R2 L2 R2 L2 R2 until the cows come home and you will clumsily trundle around while mashing a button to sprint and you will like it, you scum.
I agree, I think GTA 6 will completely bomb, it won't even sell 1 million copies if they don't completely change there terrible controls. Rockstar is dead

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm actually kind of scared because it's going to be built from the ground up with multiplayer and the in-game economy in mind.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you like current Rockstar games, sure.

Can't say I have any interest in playing through another Rockstar designed open world game personally. Just way to much fluff and way too little good gameplay design in their games for my tastes.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I never thought I'd say this ever in my life, but I just can't get excited for RDR or GTA anymore. I think the problem is that the games have become TOO realistic.

Like, I used to love mowing down groups of people in Vice City with a minigun and just cause general mayhem. But I had a moment while playing GTA V where I thought of doing the same thing, and I just...can't. The denizens of Rockstar's digital world are too real for me to just want to kill them for no reason.

Same with RDR 2, but my problem with that game is even bigger. They actively give you a system where you can be nice to people or be a fucking dick right from the jump. So I was a good cowboy when I played. And yet, almost every cutscene made Arthur to out to be a violent animal. OK, that's fine. Don't give me that choice when playing the game then? And I'm a firm believer that a game can be "too big". I'm at a point in my life where I can dedicate a few hours a week to game, so beating RDR 2 took me several months (basically doing a mission a day). By the middle of the epilogue, I was begging for the story to wrap it the fuck up already.

So I think I'm done. Which is liberating since the hype trains for these games start early and last a long time before the release dates. Don't get me wrong, I find the graphics and worlds they are building to be very impressive. But I had way more fun with Saint's Row 2 and 3, and those games had a fraction of the resources sunk into them.

Also, multiplayer is a fine optional feature, but developers/publishers are killing some of my favorite franchises as resources get re-directed away from single player.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I like how people act as if all Rockstar released were mtx-filled online games when RDR2 came out last year and didn't even have an online mode at launch lol
Before RDR2 came out there was a ton of concern trolling about how the single player would get fucked. Same thing will happen for GTA 6 despite V and RDR2 having meaty single players and content.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I expect the world building to be great. Unfortunately I expect the opposite of the game play based on the history of the previous GTA games.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
We're probably a good few years away still, right?

I imagine GTA6 will be teased in like 2 years and then released in 5+ years.

Either way, I love me some Rockstar goodness and will def play the shit outta it.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
what is with this weird revisionism of GTA V on here, the game is still a landmark title for the industry

I guess because he already made his mind up

The better argument would be, Gears 5 is one of the best looking Xbox game ever made. Sorry to say but there's better looking games from this generation.
I agree it looks amazingly beautiful.
I already got the game downloaded both on PC & Xbox so damn ready!!

0ff4BuG.gif

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

I kneel, I am a peon. I must press three buttons to do so, and feel irritated the whole time.

I agree, I think GTA 6 will completely bomb, it won't even sell 1 million copies if they don't completely change there terrible controls. Rockstar is dead

Oh lord. Yes, that's what Static was suggesting.

It is possible that R* games can be phenomenally well received and yet still need improving.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
It's almost like people are desperate to be different from the majority regarding R*s games, it is rather odd for a forum the size of era that so many hate gta and rdr2
i think it's obvious though.

Rockstar is probably the most famous developer outside of Nintendo. There games are AAA of the AAA gaming, giant mega blockbuster type games that are cherished my millions. It's no wonder a lot of people go against the grain when it comes to them

developers like Naughty Dog and CDPR are big studios as well, but they don't have the Rockstar level brand power. So they are still seen as having this level of "auteurship" to them. Essentially more "artsy". Rockstar is this juggernaut that people don't know how to deal with.

You don't have to be a fan of them, but that doesn't mean the level of snarky and weird takes on them are not going to be challenged

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Suffer, different. I personally had no qualms with the way BOTW executed its story, it gives enough to flesh out the "why" in terms of your situation, but then leaves you to your own devices, never constraining you to particular story beats. Lore, selected exposition is there for you if you go looking for it, but it never holds you back.

Whether GTA could adapt to this is another question. It certainly needs to start providing you with more than just one way to attack a mission. Or even remove the linearity of presenting missions to the player.
Nah, you can, I suppose, enjoy the narrative structure in BOTW. But it's without question less emphasized than it has been in previous LoZ games and certainly less emphasized than it is in pretty much every R* game.

Breaking up the story presentation in R* games would be the worst thing they could do lol. Why do you think their games review so well if you don't think it's because of the gameplay?

Do you think TLOUII should present its levels and story beats in a non linear fashion? Should you be able to tackle any mission at any point in time?

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Can't wait to have to wash my car daily and Armor-All the tires, get the oil changed on a regular basis all in real time.

Seriously, I hope they keep with the spirit of GTA5, a 6 year old game that is a constantly in top 10 game for all 6 years is just crazy...

Feb 10, 2018
i think it's obvious though.

Rockstar is probably the most famous developer outside of Nintendo. There games are AAA of the AAA gaming, giant mega blockbuster type games that are cherished my millions. It's no wonder a lot of people go against the grain when it comes to them

developers like Naughty Dog and CDPR are big studios as well, but they don't have the Rockstar level brand power. So they are still seen as having this level of "auteurship" to them. Essentially more "artsy". Rockstar is this juggernaut that people don't know how to deal with.

You don't have to be a fan of them, but that doesn't mean the level of snarky and weird takes on them are not going to be challenged

That's truly odd behaviour you described.

Ever since GTA1 I loved R*s games, they are best devs.

I think a ms or Sony 1st party should do a gta style game, there is definitely a market for it, and it could be the size of vice City and still be very good and sell very well.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
That's truly odd behaviour you described.

Ever since GTA1 I loved R*s games, they are best devs.

I think a ms or Sony 1st party should do a gta style game, there is definitely a market for it, and it could be the size of vice City and still be very good and sell very well.
like literally the weirdest take is the idea R* is giving up on single player gaming because of the massive success of GTAO

people said RDR 2 single player was going to be short handed, and people are already saying it for GTA 6

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i do worry they get too obsessed with realism and micro management systems that they forget to make something fun to play. like, i don't want to slowly die just because i didn't put on winter clothes and take an oxygen tank with me when i climb a mountain (if there is one) or have to bathe and slowly wash each limb. or polish my guns if i want to maintain functionality. like, there's a point where stuff like that feels like a bunch of pointless busywork, and RDR2 crossed that line for me

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I honestly need to understand how anyone here thinks GTA is going to bomb. The brand is bigger then R*'s brand.

Just news of the game coming out will shoot it into the stratosphere.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Can't wait for the crunch and the multiplayer microtransaction greed, shit I wouldn't be shocked if it was multiplayer only
There we go.

I'll buy it without remorse. Some of you guys must have a hard time finding something you enjoy produced with honest labor.

Maybe check your shoes and phone as well?

And honestly i get it, shit is not cool and people should talk about it. But can this guy just make his thread and be excited about something for once? Fucking hell

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
If it again has 3 enterable buildings its gonna be a big no no for me.
Also please controls that feels like the 21st century.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can't wait for more garbage controls, exploitative multiplayer monetization and awful online structure. Joy.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
why are many people offended by Grand Theft Auto Online. Like it doesn't effect the campaigns of these games.

So odd

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To me GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2 are the two greatest games ever made. If Rockstar can take the best of both games and fix some of the shortcomings it will no doubt be amazing.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine it coming out within 12 months of the next gen launch. That game would move consoles unlike anything else.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
No one bought The Lost and Dammed or The Ballad of Gay Tony which were incredible single player expansions. Undead Nightmare was amazing as well, but no one bought it

so whining about R* focus on multiplayer now a days is odd. They weren't making any money off SP DLC's

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably be glorious. I still think we are a ways out from it coming. If it does come I suspect it to be designed for current consoles and ported later.

I still want more SP adventures though. With Sleeping Dogs 2 dead and GTAVI probably a ways off, it's gonna be a long wait for something similar

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see what they can do with native 4K, 16GB+, 100GB discs, 8 cores @3GHz+, 8-10TFs and SSDs. Hoping 2021 but who am I kidding, it will be 2022 for GTa6 and 2025 for RDR3 if we're lucky lol

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
RDR2 and GTA5 were some of my least favorite Rockstar games.

I'm sure GTA6 will be an impressive achievement, but it seems these games are just not for me anymore.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Sorry guys that im getting so super defensive of Rockstar. I know its in your right to not be fans of them, and I have to learn that, So I'm sorry.

but some of these takes in here man, It's just ahistorical.. I don't know

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I was dissapointed by the campaign in GTA 5, but the online reached the level they always wanted, there truly is something for almost everyone going on online. So im hyped for the next level of online, not so much for the campaign. And I played through all campaigns since gta 3.

Hopefully they finally get a female protagonist and create a different story.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
After loving GTA IV and RDR, the last two entries was a terrible let down. Sure, the games keeps getting prettier and prettier, but story step back and game design is the same. I can't stand their mission design anymore.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Thank God for #meetoo. Now that immoral franchise will need to remove its misogyny. Maybe a cleaner GTA will wake up more minds about how wrong it is to treat women as objects of oppression.