• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What time period do you prefer for a GTA game?

• Past (state a time period)

Votes: 332 33.9%
  • Present Day

Votes: 472 48.2%
  • Let's do future!

Votes: 163 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 1.3%

• Total voters

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
What kinds of time periods do you prefer when it comes to the GTA franchise? Do you prefer it being sent during present day ala GTA, (unsure when GTA is set, could be 1999?!), GTA 3, GTA 4 and 5. Or do you prefer it when it when it's set in the past such as Vice City and San Andreas?

I'd actually like to see a grimy 1973 kind of environment. I don't know why, but I always associate the 70s in my head with grime, violent crime, nicotine stains and just grimness. Maybe because of films like Dirty Harry. If you lived through the 70s please let me know if my view of the 70s was incorrect.

And I think that era is worth exploring in a GTA series.

I'd also like to see a new area that isn't just the main three areas usually explored in the GTA franchise.

For me R* with the exception of GTAIV had much better stories and characters when it was a period piece, like Vice City and San Andreas.

But it want to know if this is a general consensus. What time period do you prefer?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Present and they release a new GTA like every 10 years now so the last one kind of becomes a period piece lol

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
anything but lc, sa and vc really

51WDS44EFPL.jpg

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's way too much going on, right now, that's worthy of parody, to pass up.

But I do like your suggestion, too. I was born in 1973, so my view of the 70s was that of a child. Doesn't make me much of an expert. For what it's worth, my view of the 70s was all sunshine and roses, with awful fashions in hair and clothing, but great music.

Dirty Harry probably agrees with your perception, though. There are definitely plenty of crime stories to be told.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Present. I think the 80s vibe is worn out.

Edit: The 70s tho.... Hmmm I'd think that would make for a better California crime story what with all the craziness going on in San Fran at the time.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Past or present. I'd rather not have another post-apocalyptic game.

Didn't even think about that haha. Def past or present. Futuristic games rarely do it for me and yeah post-apocalyptic is way overdone.

I'd prefer 80s again for Vice City, that radio was incredible, but present would be fine too. Or mid 2000's when southern rap was blowing up and people like Rick Ross, Trick Daddy, Trina, Khaled and others were just putting out Miami bangers every other day.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
GTA 2 was dope and it'd be cool to see a company that can actually make a sandbox game tackle that retro-futuristic, cyberpunk aesthetic.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus I thought this was about ice cream driver territory at first, I know as my Grandfather has one they generally don't overlap and they have their own territory (And the indies all hated Wall's vans) but Scotland had to take it one step further.

Love it though, would be a great setting and whilst I know GTA is largely American centric they did it before with GTA London.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
GTA VC had the best soundtrack and its been a steady inexorable decline since then. But I'm fairly sure GTA6 will be set in current times due to online MTX, the kids like the modern day ferrari's and lambos.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The '90s would be fun but I already know it'll be modern.

The whole Cellphone gimmick won't go away as it's a quick and easy way to merge SP and Online.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I'd like to see the 'character swap' mechanic zip forward and backward in time.

Give me a mafia movie spread over the years, like the Godfather trilogy. Show me the son repeating his father's sins.

Pouh

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like a successor to GTA 2, but maybe not with a numbered entry... Maybe for a scaled-back spin-off.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Present, just for GTA Online.

I noped out of the online part since it launched, but since the current gen versions came out, Its been really fun.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
70's. But I know they won't do it. Maybe, maybe in a flashback.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Set in the post, during the 20-30's like Mafia but with the animations, physics, budget and such from RDR2, GTAIV/V 🤤🤤🤤

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Past. The present is too much of a farse to work as satire.
70s or 80s would be cool.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Present Vice City for sure. No use trying to recapture the 80's nostalgia of the original. That came at the perfect time.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down with any time period as long as we don't have to drive poopy cars like the ones in Mafia. Don't go that far back in the past.

MiniMilk

Apr 17, 2019
Present day...As someone who played the OG triology, I would also like to see R*'s take on current dat San Fierro, Las Venturas and Vice City.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It depends of the location.
Chicago in 1974 was peak population and peak murders, so it makes an obvious choice for a crime base game (and why there never was a GTA in Chicago is beyond me).
Present day New York is fine but present day Miami seems so uninteresting.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Past. Time to head back to 1980s Vice City. There's so much potential with music, clothes, cars, etc.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I'd like to see R* get out of their comfort zone and try something in the future. The last few GTA games have mostly been in the present, or at least in a contemporary setting, and you have RDR for those craving something from the past (yeah, I know I'm exaggerating, but still).

EddIs

Jul 13, 2022
Past for me. 80s or 90s. I'm not a big fan of modern or future technology in games. As my old bones would say, bring back the good old times

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
I would like Bethesda to make a Cyberpunk game similar to FO, with direct 80s music/culture/styling like FO has 50s stuff. Nostagia is a big seller. And of course the explanation being...

its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Rockstar making a cyberpunk era game would be so fucking amazing...

But would prefer modern day, if not slightly future.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Prohibition era. Al Capone is in power. Suped up cars to outrun police.

Let's go full Boardwalk Empire with this.