• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
😬

People are pissed levels of pissed.

www.eurogamer.net

GTA: The Trilogy has a Metacritic aggregate score of 0.5

Unhappy GTA fans are review-bombing GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition on Metacritic.At the time of writing, the…

Unhappy GTA fans are review-bombing GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition on Metacritic.

At the time of writing, the trilogy has 2000+ user reviews on the aggregate site. Of the 2054 reviews recorded by PC users on Metacritic, the combined score is a miserable 0.5. It peaks at 1.0 for PS5 players, but otherwise, most other platforms boast a similarly low score.

For reference, the previous holder of the lowest rated game award was Warcraft reforged.
3gpry66bfkz71.jpg

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Weirdly enough, this is the second remaster that I'm aware of that Ruffian Games, now Rockstar Dundee, was involved with that was seemingly a disaster. They were apart of the Halo: Master Chief Collection development as well.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
that what happens when you think of your older classics as easy cash grabs instead of preserving a legacy and offering a new chances for new generations to enjoy updated classics.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly enough, this is the second remaster that I'm aware of that Ruffian Games, now Rockstar Dundee, was involved with that was seemingly a disaster. They were apart of the Halo: Master Chief Collection development as well.
Ruffian/Dundee was not involved in this. They're working on a different project for Rockstar. This was Grove Street Games (formerly War Drum Studios) who have a long history of releasing poor ports for Rockstar.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
Ruffian/Dundee was not involved in this. They're working on a different project for Rockstar. This was Grove Street Games (formerly War Drum Studios) who have a long history of releasing poor ports for Rockstar.
That is one of the worst studio names I have ever heard. That is an automatic flag of quality lmao.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, user scores for video games specifically are about as useful as reading through Facebook comments lol

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
While its true the score is a form of brigading and the critic score will be higher. , it will likely trigger media attention, which may well trigger Rockstar reaction.

Oct 28, 2017
People who think this type of remasters need purchases by pre-ordering or FOMO, need to make wiser decisions. This is a joke compared to Mafia 1 remake, which is miles ahead in terms of quality.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No wonder they waited that long to show the trailer for the remaster and just few days before release and it was less than one minute long trailer. XD
Rockstar needs to learn that betas and demos help a lot give feedbacks. they think they are the only ones with ideas and people gonna steal all their ideas if they show trailers or release demos before launch. They are just full of themselves and this is even a remaster so no need to hide it that long. They could have contained such issues if they reelased earlier trailers, demos and gave early previews so they could get some feedback before throw such bombs on the market.

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
They had nothing to do with this. Development was handled by Grove Street Games.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Rockstar needs to elarn that betas and demos help a lot give feedbacks.
Rockstar didn't work on this. Another studio did. Frankly the show as little as possible strategy has worked wonders for them with GTAV and RDR2, because the 101 trailers do more than enough to get the point across compared to a typical demo.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Is it really that awful? From the 5 mins I played before it crashed it didn't seem awful. I mean the fact it crashed in 5 mins indicate that it's buggy as shit, but it didn't look absolutely awful. Maybe I just don't have the same emotional connection to older GTA titles as some?

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
Is it really that awful? From the 5 mins I played before it crashed it didn't seem awful. I mean the fact it crashed in 5 mins indicate that it's buggy as shit, but it didn't look absolutely awful. Maybe I just don't have the same emotional connection to older GTA titles as some?
It's not 0.5 awful but it's not really good.

CelticKennedy

â–² Legend â–²
Sep 18, 2019
Yep. Super disappointing. The writing was sort of on the wall, though many people let their excitement take over. Me included.

The original announcement then really no other details talked about. Grove Street Games....never even heard of them till now. Their resume shows pretty much mobile ports of games. How the hell they got the greenlight to work on this? Who the hell knows. Maybe it was more a Take 2 call than Rockstars.

Games really deserved better.

CJ said it the best and its fucking hilarious now....

"Grove Street. Home. At least it was before I fucked everything up."

Last edited:

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will copy Blizzard and pretend that they are going to fix the game and release updates or instead not pretend and just do nothing.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't even give it a .5 on PC, they've fucked it up so bad

But, overall a .5 is a tad harsh, but hopefully R* get the message

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
What happened? Rockstar has tons of money
Don't know. Kinda feels like they lost that 'Rockstar spirit' from the PS2/PS3 days. Like they had something to prove.

Throwing more money at such a problem doesn't solve anything.

It's easy to blame online, but it's probably one of the factors, compounded by behind the scenes problems. Take 2 attacking the mod community, etc. Kinda worries me for R*'s future: Bigger teams and bigger budget with bigger stakes probably killed a lot of projects in secret. Not all in secret (Agent, Bully 2, etc)

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020

Part of the backlash is likely due to delisting of original old 3D GTAs. They are now legally accessible only through old physical copies, and the remaster being bad means that if someone new wants to experience them, the superior versions require piracy.