• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanMiddler

Journalist at VGC
Verified
Jul 15, 2021
Can someone explain what the proof of this is? How do we know that this transaction is specifically for that?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
What am I looking at there and how do they know the purchase was for GTA V's source code?

Edit: Okay so there's no proof whatsoever, just a random transaction for 100,000 posted on Twitter. Cool.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We will soon know if it is legit though. If Rockstar shuts down GTA Online servers soon then its very real. And shutting down servers would be their only real recourse if the source code is actually in the wild.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's awful if true but Rockstar make a ridiculous amount of money, they can dig themselves out of the problem right?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
How do we know this transaction is specifically for the GTAV source code? Or is it just speculation from the guy on Twitter?

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"This is good for bitcoin"
Also 100,000 is super low?? One of the best selling games in history and it's source code is a mere 100 bands?

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Can someone explain what the proof of this is? How do we know that this transaction is specifically for that?
The people who were selling it probably provided this wallet address for payments? So you can infer what happened would be my guess. There is not way to know exactly what was transacted as you can only send BTC between addresses, the people selling the data have to give it to whoever bought it using a completely separate method.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Is there any info on this being linked to the hacker in question.

In crypto land, these amounts get exchanged often if not multitudes more. So there will likely need to be some link of some kind

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't crypto actually traceable if you really want to know who it is and if the person wants to use the money?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Isn't there a chance this is just Rockstar buying it?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Since this was like an NFT, it will be a unique thing, right, right? No copies would exist. 😉

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I assume that if you have the source code and you are talented hacker, you could potentially do some damage in GTA Online.

So can having the source code actually give them access to the game's online structure? I always thought the source code was a game's original state when it shipped, but that's probably an oversimplification on my part

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Why would they need to shut down GTA online because the source code is in the wild?

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
And we all just lived through 2022 like MS buying Activision would be the biggest news of the year...

Status
Not open for further replies.