• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
California
Thank you! I hate this game with a passion because of its abysmal controls. After 30 minutes of playing it I got so frustrated I sold it to a friend lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar games play bad, feels like a meme at this point. It just gets brought up every few weeks in a new thread. You're free to have your own perspective, but you just got to get over that the reviewers gave it such good scores, because they didn't have the same experience as you and presumably neither are the people who are still buying it everyday.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's funny, because when I played the original WD in 2014, I thought to myself "I wish GTA played this smoothly".

WD1 still has A+ gameplay.
I hate how characters in Ubisoft games move, they have no momentum and they feel like robots, if the gameplay was so good why WD2 had lower sales?

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a lot of people outside this forum will agree with you since the game sold over 100 million copies and GTA Online is one of the most popular MP with millions of players every day playing.

A game with awful mechanics ain't selling over 100 million copies.

Yet here we are in 2020, where a game with awful mechanics has sold 100m.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
WD driving is garbage

Not talking about the driving which sucks. Referring to the on-foot mechanics.

Could not agree more. Watch Dogs was had a horrendous story but the gameplay was really well done. Put dozens of hours into it purely because it was just fun to play.
My thoughts exactly. I actually enjoyed it more than GTA V for that reason.

Y'all get it.

I hate how characters in Ubisoft games move, they have no momentum and they feel like robots, if the gameplay was so good why WD2 had lower sales?

2 notoriously went away from the good gunplay that 1 had.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is it about Rockstar that invites these objective criticisms of subjective elements here? Nevermind the fact that the game is seven years old. Just say you don't like it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I've respawned to the hospital. Now I have to drive all the way to the shop, and then drive to the mission with my 'buddy', and then continue the mission again. Who the hell has time for this shit?
GTA V has loads of checkpoints, I don't get this. It sounds like one of the earlier games. IV was really bad for this.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
GTAV actually controls considerably better than GTA4 and RDR2.
It's almost on the same level as RDR1, while that's not a huge deal at the very least I was able to play RDR1 and GTAV without any auto aim at all, not even partial. GTA4 and RDR2 on the other hand were pretty much impossible to play with free aim.

Max Payne 3 is better than all of these but it's still kind of shitty compared to other games as often you'd bump into objects while diving or be vulnerable out in open because they are either too far or too close. Then the second chance mechanic means you have to kill the person who shot you and if that person is behind you then there is absolutely no way to kill them as the game won't allow max to turn backwards since it basically locks your aim in a 180 degree range.

I think of all R* type games, Watch Dogs controls the best. And eventhough Watch Dogs 2 had cool parkour and movement abilities, I think Watch Dogs 1's gunplay was smooth and snappy af.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar prioritises animation quality over player controls. That rubs some people the wrong way and entirely ruins the game for them. Most aren't as bothered and can enjoy their direction to prioritise animation. There's no big problem with one large dev choosing to take that route either.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Just like with RDR 2, I played in first person and it was significantly better.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy the driving a lot in 5, but yeah, I really bounced of it hard after trying to replay it recently. The auto-aim combat, annoying tap to run, pretty bad U.I and really unlikable characters (I totally forgot just how much of a shitbag they are) just kept clawing away at me.
Weirdy I had the exact opposite reaction with RDR2 after returning to it recently, the control update they did really improved the combat, would love if they did the same with GTA5. Though Online is still auto-aim pretty much required, but it's also not too hard to avoid PvP.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I love the more grounded feel of Red Dead 2. People have a problem because they're used to characters having an arcade style feel.

Arthur has a weighty feel, and I appreciate that. I like how my horse doesn't control like a car.

That's fine if it's not for you, but that doesn't make them bad.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not just movement, gunplay but driving as well. Still an incredibly fun game. Despite all of these issues imo.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The driving is actually so fun that the stunt race series in GTAO (which is one of the quickest event types to get a full lobby) could easily be spun off into its own games. It's honestly among the best arcade racing experiences of this gen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
WD2 was definitely a step down shooting wise, not only where the level design not great for it and the guns just felt bad, but Marcus was incredibly weak to gun shots, discouraging you from actually getting into gun fights. It made up for it massively for stealth and gadget options though, felt like a super spy.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
WD2 was definitely a step down shooting wise, not only where the level design not great for it, Marcus was incredibly weak to gun shots. It made up for it massive for stealth and gadget options though, felt like a super spy.

unfortunately the stealth AI was very annoying with how one person finding a body basically immediately alerted everyone to your exact position,. And the inability to move bodies was a huge WTF, especially because something like Assassins Creed has that option, where its arguably a lot less needed.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's pretty incredible how such a big, successful developer can't even develop a 3rd person aiming system which works properly without the need of heavy aim assist for console users. GTA5, RDR2, as a console player I find shooting in both games to be simply unplayable without it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
WD2 was definitely a step down shooting wise, not only where the level design not great for it, Marcus was incredibly weak to gun shots. It made up for it massive for stealth and gadget options though, felt like a super spy.
I don't remember any big complaints about the gameplay of 2 that makes it "notorious".

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
unfortunately the stealth AI was very annoying with how one person finding a body basically immediately alerted everyone to your exact position,. And the inability to move bodies was a huge WTF, especially because something like Assassins Creed has that option, where its arguably a lot less needed.
True, though that's why I would sneak past not through, why I'd not really take someone down, as you just put yourself on a timer pretty much, but would instead use gadgets to distract and disrupt the guards to get an opening, made for great encounters and I always felt Marcus wouldn't just kill people anyway.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Ooooffff, don't tell me that. I just picked this up for $15 to give it another shot. Need stuff to hold me over until Resident Evil 3

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember any big complaints about the gameplay of 2 that makes it "notorious".
Just the shooting really, everything else was improved, but you tried to play it like WD1 you'd just die constantly and just have a worst experience as the levels aren't really even design to be tackled that way.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Rockstar is bulletproof at this point, so they see no reason to improve something that they feel is good enough, even though public consensus of their gameplay mechanics is negative.

And since people are already using this argument, the fact that it has sold over 100 million copies doesn't negate the fact that the game controls like ass. A game can be two things concurrently.
The public consensus isn't negative though. That's just the ERA bubble. I rarely see anyone complaining about it elsewhere. Same with TW3.

Last edited:

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I never find the Rockstar to control as well than their counterparts but they usually make up for it with a wide variety of activities and the sheer scope of their games. Though I'll admit I got fed up with GTA V at some point and personally didn't find the story and characters enticing enough to keep playing.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yup all of the budget goes to the world building and other aspects. Zero care given to making good gameplay. It has been that way for several of their games.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The driving I find quite fun, it's probably the best GTA in that regard

The shooting is clunky, but I got used to it eventually. Thankfully they improved it so much for RDR2

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Characters feel a bit weighty, but it's appropriate for the game and really easy to get used to. Driving model is great, much better than previous games. I own it on PS3, PS4 and PC and it's definitely a lot better with a higher framerate.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
All of Rockstar's game's control horribly, unless they're Max Payne 3.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yup all of the budget goes to the world building and other aspects. Zero care given to making good gameplay. It has been that way for several of their games.
It has become apparant to me that GTA 5 was actually a last gen game. Probably explains why it feels so similar to GTA 4 in that regard. But I hope the next iteration will improve the gameplay and controls.

Oct 28, 2017
I love the car handling in GTAV. I remember thinking at the time that they can't get any better than this, felt perfect. Every car I got into handled exactly how I expected and moved in the way I wanted it to. I can't ask for more than that.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Red dead 2 actually plays WORSE than GTAV. Arthur moves like a tank and the input delay is atrocious. Sort it out for GTA 6, Rockstar.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
It's a timely thread, I just re-downloaded it yesterday to screw around the city. The controls/jank are taking me so long to get used to again. It's definitely better than GTA4 though, that game was unplayable to me, the main character felt like he took 10 seconds just to turn around. I find the gunplay much better in V as well (but still nothing great).

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I really hope for GTA 6 they actually make use of the analogue stick for movement speed. Having to tap/hold a to run is frankly ridiculous.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Red dead 2 actually plays WORSE than GTAV. Arthur moves like a tank and the input delay is atrocious. Sort it out for GTA 6, Rockstar.
I thought they would sort it out for RDR2 since I thought GTA V was just too soon after Max Payne 3 to get its control improvements. Yet, RDR2 still controls like boiled ass so I have no hope for GTA 6 on that front.

I feel like the only thing that would force Rockstar to improve would be another developer's urban open world game breaking out and finally being able to have the same production values as GTA.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope for GTA 6 they actually make use of the analogue stick for movement speed. Having to tap/hold a to run is frankly ridiculous.
It's asinine. That's the thumb I use to turn the camera. I should be able to turn the camera and sprint at the same time.

With that said, both GTA V and RDR2 both feature alternate control schemes that let you click the left stick once to run, and twice to full-tilt sprint. I always suggest that people just default right to those, but a lot of people aren't even aware of those options to this day.

Ultimately, it seems as though if you want a modern Rockstar game to control particularly well, your options are - buy it on PC, or don't play it