• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't even an opinion-based thing.

It doesn't feel like you're controlling your character. It feels like you're giving suggestions to the character, and maybe they'll follow them.

I'm so tired of reading hyperbolic junk like this on this forum constantly.
Yes, it's an opinion-based thing. Not every game has the same priorities and design, and that applies to movement mechanics too. Is it really that crazy to believe that of the 100+ million people who bought GTA 5 and the millions that play it activfely every day, there are people who.... like how it feels?

It's one of the few games that simulate intertia, sense of weight with amazing animation on top of it. A lot of people clearly enjoy this... it's nice to look at, and it gives the game a grounded, planted feel.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"weight"

ah there it is, that ol' kryptonite.

But yeah, you'd think there would be control mods for GTAV and RDR2 on PC at the very least, but maybe that stuff is rooted too deep in the code to fix. I mean, it's bad. Not 'gotta wait for the universe to be reborn before the character responds to my input' bad. But bad.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been able to enjoy any similar games after GTA IV and V. Driving especially feels so god damn good in them.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is this? We're not supposed to like how RDR2 and GTAV play on this forum?

My kryptonite, not yours!

I'll admit that I'm especially sensitive to input lag/delay. To the point where I the moment I pressed a direction on the title screen of FF12: The Zodiac Age, I just let out a unprompted 'fuck'.

(the rest of the game is sorta better but wow at that title screen)

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it feels as bad as RDR2, because you're mostly exploring man made environments rather than variable natural terrain, but yeah the on foot stuff sucks. The most egregious thing about R* is their early 2000s console game mission design though - it feels so primitive and restrictive and straight up boring compared to almost every other major open world game and immersive sim since like Deus Ex. Even the heists give you basically zero agency.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cut it out.

S2tScr8.png

TcONufy.png

Thank you.
Driving in Sleeping Dogs is fucking awful.

Last edited:

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
Imo Rockstar open-world games have never actually played well. GTAV has the best controls of any GTA but that's not saying much. Really, "most serviceable" is more accurate. I can't play any of them unless it's with a mouse and keyboard. RDR2 is somehow worse.

The only really appealing things about Rockstar games are how well-designed their worlds are, good voice acting, and well-directed cut scenes. It has constantly baffled me how GTA and Red Dead get a pass for their controls and gameplay but people constantly shit on Witcher 3's controls which aren't nearly as bad.

Even in 2013 GTAV's controls were just serviceable. Other last-gen sandbox games had better controls.
eh, it seems to me like they all get a lot of shit on here, but RDR2 mostly

i love TW3 and RDR2 in spite of their gameplay, i just love the worlds and characters. don't care for GTAV but not necessarily because of the controls. just don't find the modern city setting appealing and hated the characters

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It makes up for it in story, and incredibly in depth open world and a bunch of variety in the gameplay and missions.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even an opinion-based thing.

The vehicles are fine.

On-foot controls suck. You can say they wanted to prioritize animation quality over precise controls (even though Naughty Dog and many other devs do this better), but that doesn't mean the controls aren't bad. Even ignoring what you would experience right this second if you launched the game and tried to move your character around, there are countless videos diving into this and explaining why the controls are bad.

It doesn't feel like you're controlling your character. It feels like you're giving suggestions to the character, and maybe they'll follow them.
Well you are right it's not an opinion based thing, they factually have good controls even if you don't like them

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think this is the reason I've had this game for years but never played more than a couple of hours. It just doesn't feel nice to play, for me.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, those games controls are really bad. But people buy them, and even defend that shit ("realism" lol), so Rockstar won't care.

I mean, we have many people willing to rematch after a one bar underwater laggish game in Fighting Games, I'm sure they enjoy that weighty realistic feeling !

GTA and RDR got many other strenghts, but we don't have to act as if the gameplay is one of them.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you guys aren't pretending the intentional input delay isn't there. You're just calling it "weight", and saying that it's fine. That's like being the people who are okay with not playing videogames in game mode on their TV because they don't notice the input delay.

They might be fine for you, but that doesn't make them good controls. Intentionally delaying user input isn't good, and the games would play significantly better if you had direct control over your character's own actions.

It's one thing to enjoy Rockstar's games. It's another thing entirely to try and claim that intentional input lag is good. I enjoy The Witcher 3, but I'm not gonna die on a hill trying to claim that the gameplay is any good.

As I've mentioned in this thread and as many have mentioned before me, game developers like Naughty Dog have proven that you don't have to sacrifice player input for quality animations.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Couldn't agree more. Dropped it after the first driving mission with your cousin. Game was painfully slow and sloppy.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
They're never best in class, but it's also never been a barrier to me having a great experience with them. Still miss the full Euphoria physics of 4 though.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
This and RDR 2 are greatly improved on PC. Using a X1 Elite controller with a paddle makes a HUGE difference, as you can use it to run, leaving your thumb free to move the camera. 60 FPS of course the other huge difference.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohh, guys look how funny this guy is, he's mocking my English, you see i dropped a "you" and that makes my English bad, you got the joke guys? Very funny ha ha.
To be fair it's not something I would've mentioned had you not been posting about how important intelligence is.

The irony was amusing to me.