• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just too old but the numbers for GTA seemed completely insane in comparison to its impact. Like Pokemon sold 30 million I think. Wii Sports was like 70 million and you had everyone and their mom buying a Wii and playing that.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Estimating aroound 15-20 million on PC
Probably close

I found an article from a year ago where it hit 10M on Steam, and I know it's been in the top-selling list on there quite a bit since then, especially when it goes on sale.

It helps that it doesn't take a crazy rig, so lots of people with mid-tier laptops or whatnot can run it well too.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While they didn't have proper cross platform they did have character transfers for GTA online. Led to me buying it for PS3/4 and PC. They've done a great job of updating their online portion with new content, but all the new shiny toys cost so much there is a ton of grind. I've enjoyed the 200 hours or so I've put in.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. Rockstar games just keep selling.

And people are trying to downplay RDR2 sales? Really? That game is gonna come to PC and (probably) next gen and gonna sell another whole bunch of units. It's sold almost as many units as GTAIV. And Mario Kart 8 including Deluxe. Game has only been out for six months.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It is weird how they compare it to Avatar for movies. But for Games they completely ignore the likes of WoW,SF2,Space Invaders,Lol ..etc.
SF2 and Space Invaders?

Most profitable game is Minecraft anyway. Little development costs and no marketing costs. Lol could be in the same realm and Fortnite maybe follow, if the game continues to be massive.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
GTAVI on next gen consoles will be absurd.

I can't even imagine what that budget or those graphics will look like..

Especially after the graphical powerhouse RDR2 was

The first native GTA ever to skip a console generation..think about that.

We will never know what a GTA native to PS4/XB1 looks like.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The appeal of GTAO has grown above and beyond what it set out to be initially. The popularity of the role playing in its PC community has all the more elevated it.

RDR2 will probably never reach those levels with its online, even when it comes to PC, I bet.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
SF2 and Space Invaders?

Most profitable game is Minecraft anyway. Little development costs and no marketing costs. Lol could be in the same realm and Fortnite maybe follow, if the game continues to be massive.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/worl...tainment-product-ever-not-grand-theft-auto-v/

See the "Updated" part of the article.
And no those games made massive money , on barely any budget. Minecraft , while also insanely big. Is still not anywhere near Space invaders.

COD is not really anywhere close to being the highest grossing , Mainly because it is a yearly franchise so just using one title from it wont put it at the top.

Edit :
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_video_games
Arcade were ridiculously lucrative back in the day , and it might be super hard to top those titles because of inflation.

Its kinda like how you keep seeing Avengers End game being the biggest movie ever everywhere , but nobody looks at the old stuff with inflation.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/worl...tainment-product-ever-not-grand-theft-auto-v/

See the "Updated" part of the article.
And no those games made massive money , on barely any budget. Minecraft , while also insanely big. Is still not anywhere near Space invaders.

COD is not really anywhere close to being the highest grossing , Mainly because it is a yearly franchise and it is not really fair to compare just one title from it.

In that case profitable is wrong. The costs to operate arcades are huge. So when Space Invaders and Pac Man made over $10 billion on arcades, they surely don't have a 70% profit margin like Lol.

Edit: The article says highest selling and not most profitable.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
In that case profitable is wrong. The costs to operate arcades are huge. So when Space Invaders and Pac Man made over $10 billion on arcades, they surely don't have a 70% profit margin like Lol.

Agreed on that. But it is really hard to estimate "profitability". Arcades didn't exactly need Servers up and running the whole day with Millions of concurrent users and secure money transactions.

Also while Arcades had huge running costs , it isn't fair to lump it all on just a single game. Each Arcade also had many other ways to generate revenue since it would have multiple cabs,food,drinks..etc

Edit :
Anyway my argument was for the original article from the post I quoted , which completely ignored Digital Titles like Wow and Arcade games like Space invaders. It literally only compared it to Retail games like COD.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
GTA V will keeping selling until the next GTA.
RDR2 of course is a huge success,it is already the biggest game this gen.,but of course would never do GTAV numbers.

They are one of the best Devs in the industry, real happy for R*.

Anyone challenging RDR2 success has to be drunk, or lack sense, not sure how you can say it's not anything but spectacular.

What is this? How can 24 million and growing (more then God of War) mean the game isn't wanted ? All signs point that it's not only wanted there's a thirst for it. I'm trying to understand your line of thinking but that statement is utterly irrational, it goes against the evidence.
lol what does God of War have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The appeal of GTAO has grown above and beyond what it set out to be initially. The popularity of the role playing in its PC community has all the more elevated it.

RDR2 will probably never reach those levels with its online, even when it comes to PC, I bet.
It's easy to deride the whole thing because of the shark cards, but the sandbox elements of the game are what makes it. It's beyond just a video game, it's a social tool at this point.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats make GTAV so appealing to so many people? It's insane. It could be a case of study

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
protagonist of the generation?

W32ABQkeQ5MrZChk4gEFTKTVDTqZ7x6UR8b8pg50aLU.jpg

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I can't even imagine how big GTAVI will be. If it doesn't launch with Online at launch, people would still play GTAVs online.
GTAVI will 1000% include GTAO and it will 1000% launch 2 weeks to a month after GTAVI.

Thats great for RDR2, incredible game and still sold amazingly even with its poor online and niche setting. I expect it too hit 30 Mil once next gen ports+PC hit, and potentially if they do a large update once multiplayer leaves the beta and it becomes a better experience.
My sentiments exactly.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Thats great for RDR2, incredible game and still sold amazingly even with its poor online and niche setting. I expect it too hit 30 Mil once next gen ports+PC hit, and potentially if they do a large update once multiplayer leaves the beta and it becomes a better experience.

Maybe I'm just too old but the numbers for GTA seemed completely insane in comparison to its impact. Like Pokemon sold 30 million I think. Wii Sports was like 70 million and you had everyone and their mom buying a Wii and playing that.

Both those games made more of an impact when they came out because they were completely unique at the time, also both catered to younger kids and people who had never touched a game in there lifes. Fortnite and Minecraft can be included too.

GTA is GTA. Its one of arguably the biggest brands in the world. But also its online released a while after the initial game. Everyone I knew was always talking about V when it came out.

Fortnite, Pokemon, and Minecraft also had more discussion around it because its contemporaries were copying it more. Whereas nowadays nobody could even attempt the scale a game like GTA and it's online would need.

TarzanUSP

May 12, 2019
Holy shit. It's insane considering the best selling games are the best selling (practically) because of bundles. GTA V had bundles but really didn't need it to sell like crazy.