• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Lol @ people being shocked RDR2's sales have slowed down

1) It's not GTA.
2) This was obviously a single-player focused project first and foremost, and the core base of people who were interested in that are what comprises those 24 million sales.
3) Rockstar has not released a single major update to Red Dead Online since it launched in November. Not one.

RDR2 was never going to have legs like GTAV, and if it did, it was gonna be solely because of Red Dead Online.

Seeing as how Rockstar has been quite lacking when it comes to RDO, it makes perfect sense why sales have realistically slowed.

Just like, ya know, other normal games that aren't GTAV/GTAO.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Rockstar, we need to really have a discussion about if we really need their games anymore. Many think we don't need them in the industry. what do you think?
A game from them sold 110 million. A single game from 6 years ago sold more than the entire Dragon Quest franchise has made since 1986 and then some.

What kind of, I'm sorry, stupid question is that?

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My stupid brain was like "that's almost 1 billion in sales". Then I realized it's probably closer to 4....

plau

Oct 30, 2017
My 12 year old nephew asked yesterday "why can't I play GTA". Apparently it's popular among his friends. Being able to appeal to all ages must boost those numbers nicely.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Some numbers of Take Two

1557783088-capture-d-ecran-2019-05-13-a-23-31-01.png

Mar 18, 2019
back in April 2018, GTA V was proclaimed to be the single most profitable entertainment product ever

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gr...able-entertainment-product-of-all-time.34912/

its even more now
That's not true. It's not even the highest-grossing video game. There are a number of video games (Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Street Fighter II, World of Warcraft, Dungeon Fighter Online, CrossFire) that out-grossed GTAV. Whoever came up with that headline back then (which the gaming media then ran with) did a poor job at fact-checking.

Jan 15, 2018
I'm surprised RDR2 is still doing as well as it is, I love it and it'll probably end up as my favorite game of this gen, but it is very long and intentionally slow with a bunch of simulation elements that could be seen as off-putting to the more casual gamer.

Guess it goes to show that the Rockstar brand is a very strong recommendation.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Ive heard people buy GTAV again for money or shark cards for GTAO, i wonder if that's true, personally i don't play it.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
PC version shouldn't be far away then. Can't wait to play through again, with a proper framerate this time.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The cheapest RDR2 has been is €40/45 which is insane to have such a high selling price for 24m copies. I'm sure online has made a bit too. It will do 30-40m lifetime.

GTA V bare minimum 150m. Could do 200m+ if they relaunch on PS5 with a 4k 60fps update. Games like Vice City and San Andreas still sell today with no online component. No reason GTA V can't keep beating for another 10 years plus. History before our eyes as somebody said.

I also never bought a single shark card and currently have 80m in my account eagerly awaiting another update. Any week now!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ive heard people buy GTAV again for money or shark cards for GTAO, i wonder if that's true, personally i don't play it.
They put GTA online boosters in bundles that give you pretty much all the buildings you need to do the big missions and a good chunk of cash, that recently started to go on deep sale (around when RDR2 released), definitely be a factor, as it's much cheaper than just buying the required amount in Shark Cards.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
So...will Red Dead be the 2nd best selling game of the generation?

cause if GTA is next gen, minecraft was last gen, Mario Kart and 2D Mario aren't there at the moment.
And CoD I thought usually does 20something million, not 30+

if so wow.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Still convinced that GTA V sales are just one giant money laundering scheme involving drug cartels and Saudi princes.

Oct 27, 2017
24 million for RDR2 is a ridiculous amount for a game when you consider that is 1/4 of the sales of every single Assassins Creed ever released.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are one of the best Devs in the industry, real happy for R*.

Anyone challenging RDR2 success has to be drunk, or lack sense, not sure how you can say it's not anything but spectacular.

As much as I love Rockstar, we need to really have a discussion about if we really need their games anymore. Many think we don't need them in the industry. what do you think?

What is this? How can 24 million and growing (more then God of War) mean the game isn't wanted ? All signs point that it's not only wanted there's a thirst for it. I'm trying to understand your line of thinking but that statement is utterly irrational, it goes against the evidence.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling it. GTA V will be a launch title on PS5/Next Xbox

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
So greenrock returned yet again???
How many alts does he even have?

Congratulations to Rockstar. Even though they have disapointed me the last two games they made, it is still impressive as hell.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Do they even need to make a GTA 6 at this point? Just sell GTA 5 for the rest of time lmao.

seriously wondering from a financial perspective if its better for them to focus on GTA:O or some hypothetical sequel and releasing SP campaign based games as their own thing. but probably better just to use the same formula with GTA6 i guess