• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, that's crazy. It has sold even more than any hardware this generation. And if it keeps selling at this rate then even PS4 won't be able to catch it.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It's probably most sold on PS4 with Xbox close second and PC far back
I'm thinking it's actually PS4 > PS3 > 360 > PC > XB1

Over 20 million people bought GTAV on PS3 within its first year on the market. That's roughly 25% of the PS3's install base - That's insane. It has a similar attatch rate on PS4 I'd bet.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Watching GTA RP lately made me realize what I want most in the world is a GTA MMORPG. Just take the basic mission loops in the FiveM mod, gussy it up a bit and I would seriously pay $15 a month to grind home invasions to buy a 250k car. The world of San Andreas in GTA5 is my favourite in any game ever and I'm still mad at Rockstar that they never bothered giving us more single player shit to do in it (accepting that there were dozens of hours of SP stuff in the game).

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Maybe if it keeps selling this well on PS5 / Xbox 4
CUMULATIVE_GLOBAL_GAME_SHIPMENTS.png

Last edited:

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trolling here, but has Red Dead 2 under performed slightly? I mean, IIRC it was not the biggest selling game last year. And FIFA sells almost 20 million per year, every year.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'm not trolling here, but has Red Dead 2 under performed slightly? I mean, IIRC it was not the biggest selling game last year. And FIFA sells almost 20 million per year, every year.
The best selling game last year was PUBG, followed by RDR2. Doesn't mean Red Dead 2 underperformed at all tho, and certainly not at launch. Legs seem disappointing, but it will be the best selling Rockstar game other than GTAV, which is G R E A T.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, the game by any other standard is doing great.

I just remember the games industries collective 'get out of the way of Red Dead' talk last year. And while that was true to a point, I do remember being taken aback when Blops 4 out sold it in the States last year.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
it has to surpass 27.5 San Andreas for RDR 2 to be R* second highest selling game

do you guys think it can happen?

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The best selling game last year was PUBG, followed by RDR2. Doesn't mean Red Dead 2 underperformed at all tho, and certainly not at launch. Legs seem disappointing, but it will be the best selling Rockstar game other than GTAV, which is G R E A T.
Obviously, the game by any other standard is doing great.

I just remember the games industries collective 'get out of the way of Red Dead' talk last year. And while that was true to a point, I do remember being taken aback when Blops 4 out sold it in the States last year.
RDR2 was actually the highest selling game of 2018, US and worldwide.

Bud23

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
is 24 million for RDR 2, is that considered a success in your opinion?
bc9a3249d547040ae85fe9b9c0b5ef7b.png

are these guys legends yet?
As much as I love Rockstar, we need to really have a discussion about if we really need their games anymore. Many think we don't need them in the industry. what do you think?
its crazy that the cast for GTA V is still doing conventions and panels 5+ years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTkcmy5i0Pg
its crazy how much this game prints money though
latest
is Sam Houser a billionaire? is he up there with Tim Sweeney and Gabe Newell etc.
protagonist of the generation?

W32ABQkeQ5MrZChk4gEFTKTVDTqZ7x6UR8b8pg50aLU.jpg
How is GTA V still top on Twitch?
could it surpass Minecraft?
it has to surpass 27.5 San Andreas for RDR 2 to be R* second highest selling game

do you guys think it can happen?

Do you think you're fooling anybody, GreenRock?

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
24m is an amazing number for a game released less than a year and still no PC release. Rockstar is all time top of the industry.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Eh...not really a concrete source.

It's plausible but wouldn't you think PUBG Corp would have been shouting such a thing from the rooftops? (That it was the highest selling game of 2018)

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
PUBG sold over 20m first half of 2018 and then less than 3m second half, of course.
Not saying that. It just seems weird that theres no official source for the highest selling games (WW) for 2018, and no statement from PUBG Corp that they achieved it.

If they're inclined to announce they have 30 million "players", and then 50 million sales total, wouldn't you think they'd be super inclined to announce they beat out RDR2 and BO4 as highest selling game of the year?

Like I said, it's plausible for sure, especially considering it sold through the entirety of 2018 vs just a few months for RDR2, but why not make that news official?

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Based on Minecraft sales milestones it was the best selling game of 2014, 2015 and 2016, did Mojang ever announce it?

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
User banned (5 days): Spamming and trolling; history of prior infractions
Is Gta v close to surpassing Minecraft?

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I don't understand who buys GTAV now. I'd have thought it would have reached market saturation so I am always shocked that it continues to top sales charts. Are these repeat buyers? New buyers? New gamers? I personally have not helped Rockstar reach these numbers as I have never purchased it on any platform.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't understand who buys GTAV now. I'd have thought it would have reached market saturation so I am always shocked that it continues to top sales charts. Are these repeat buyers? New buyers? New gamers? I personally have not helped Rockstar reach these numbers as I have never purchased it on any platform.
GTA V is just that game you have to play before you die

Oct 31, 2017

Of all the responses to that post, this is my favorite.

0ne hundred and ten million people bought one game.

I know a lot of gamer types double-dipped (or triple dipped in some cases) but 110 million.
It's both good and bad. It could mean we will get more high quality single player games from Rock Star. Or we onlt get them if they have some mode that's riddled with microtransactions.

24 Million for RDR2 is nice. Those bonuses should be nice for the devs (won't make up for the long hours or help the contractors).

The way I see it, some people double/triple-dipped, but many also bought used copies which I would think aren't counted in the sales.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think if Rockstar don't make GTA 6 and remaster again 5 for next gen, it will continue to sell over and over and over again till the end.
Talent lost.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching GTA RP lately made me realize what I want most in the world is a GTA MMORPG. Just take the basic mission loops in the FiveM mod, gussy it up a bit and I would seriously pay $15 a month to grind home invasions to buy a 250k car. The world of San Andreas in GTA5 is my favourite in any game ever and I'm still mad at Rockstar that they never bothered giving us more single player shit to do in it (accepting that there were dozens of hours of SP stuff in the game).

Fuck. Now I want this lol.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
What you'll get is GTA Online 2.0 with even more expensive micro transactions.

I love GTA, but holy shit...FUCK what Rockstar/Take 2 choose to do for the online portion. It's absolute fucking dog shit. What the FiveM developers have done with GTA RP (making it one of the greatest life sims ever) just exposes it even further, for how it's just a complete money grab and not an actual attempt at an engaging online experience.

After seeing Red Dead 2 online being a carbon copy of what Rockstar did with GTAV, I have zero faith they'll actually do what they should for their online portion.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
What you'll get is GTA Online 2.0 with even more expensive micro transactions.

I love GTA, but holy shit...FUCK what Rockstar/Take 2 choose to do for the online portion. It's absolute fucking dog shit. What the FiveM developers of done with GTA RP (making it one of the greatest life sims ever) just exposes it even further, for how it's just a complete money grab and not an actual attempt at an engaging online experience.

After seeing Red Dead 2 being a carbon copy of what Rockstar did with GTAV, I have zero faith they'll actually do what they should for their online portion.
Rockstar has supported new content for GTAO since release

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Now that I think about it

I wonder how much Bully 2 will sell, I honestly don't know if it will sell as much as RDR 2, its much more niche