• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game continues to just have an unbelievable performance

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have never been more confused on why a game continues to sell than I have been with GTA5.

Guess I'm probably not the intended audience.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the delay of RDR2 I'm pretty certain the game will reach 100m this year and not only in 2019.
But I'm more curious about the GTA VI performance. Could it do the same or even surpass V? Selling less would be easy, too as 100 million is not any low number.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the funny thing is that Activision spends three times as much on cod games every year since they are on a 3 year cycle. same with ubisoft with yearly ac games and EA with DICE battlefield/battlefront games.

Rockstar released one game 5 years ago and is selling ifnot outselling all these yearly franchises.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To put it in perspective, GTAV has sold 36% of the ENTIRE LTD sales figures of the Call of Duty franchise combined since it started in 2003.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point i just think the Houser brothers are buying these copies themselves.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember during the ps2 days where I kept laughing how long gta stayed in the top 10, yeah we beat that.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Even after nearly five years I can't think of a better built open world. It's astounding what Rockstar built and fair play to them they've kept the content coming without gouging their user base *side eye towards EA*

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game will 100% pass 100 million in 2018.

Fucking WILD

I wonder if they even bother with GTAVI on current gen at this point

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.webp

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how much are they getting, not only with the game sales, but with the microtransactions on GTA Online. They probably don't need to release another GTA in years!

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
the funny thing is that Activision spends three times as much on cod games every year since they are on a 3 year cycle. same with ubisoft with yearly ac games and EA with DICE battlefield/battlefront games.

Rockstar released one game 5 years ago and is selling ifnot outselling all these yearly franchises.
To be fair, Rockstar had about 1000 people on GTA V for five years, which adds up to a couple CoD teams concurrently.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wii Sports has sold 82 million according to a quick google search
GTA 5 has sold more than game that was packed in with a console for years
Holy fuck

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point they shouldn't even release GTA 6 until next gen, and make everyone buy GTA 5 again.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I thought GTA 6 would release at the end of this gen/beginning of next gen to maximize profits like 5. But dang, maybe Rockstar is going to ride the GTA 5 wave for a while considering how much it's still selling

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the inevitable that ask:

Sold-in, not sold-through.

Still.. this is wild! 5 million in the past 3 months, too!

So, we have the sold through numbers?

Wii Sports has sold 82 million according to a quick google search
GTA 5 has sold more than game that was packed in with a console for years
Holy fuck

While Wii Sports got a bundle in the west, in Japan it was sold separately and in some Asian countries too so I think it sold at least 60 million in bundle.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
With the delay of RDR2 I'm pretty certain the game will reach 100m this year and not only in 2019.
But I'm more curious about the GTA VI performance. Could it do the same or even surpass V? Selling less would be easy, too as 100 million is not any low number.
GTA VI is gonna be massive unless it's complete shit. With the amount of marketing power and the word of mouth they have i wouldn't be surprised if it outsells GTAV.

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're not getting GTA 6 this generation, are we?

Considering the time frame that Red Dead 2 is launching in combined with current GTAV sales I don't think GTAVI will be hitting current consoles no.

If it does it will be cross gen at launch as the next gen consoles will be out by then

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
And people didnt want GTA online. if it wasn't for that aspect, the game wouldn't even reach these high numbers.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy Shit....i never knew so many people worked on GTA V.
Someone fell asleep during the credits.

To be fair though, Rockstar North has 360 employees as of 2013, so a lot of those will have been temps, contracts, people who left/were sacked and replaced or other R* teams helping out. It's not like the full credits worked on the game for the whole 5 years.