• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
PhilPhoto.jpg

There's a lot of good insight here as to what Phil would like to achieve with the Xbox Brand in Japan. Going by the entire interview (Full transcript at the link). It sounds like he really wants to get things back to the 360 days of the brand. As there's talk of making the brand bigger there, even if it won't be the "winner" in that region.
As someone who recently visited Japan, it was quite apparent just how bad the X1 was handled for everyone involved in the area. It was more common to see 360 titles from 10 years ago than it was even brand new Xbox One title. So anything that gets us back to that point and brings back the titles skipping the platform due to no local presence for the developers is nice to hear, as it's understandable that you'll never be able to get everyone to support no matter how hard you try (Which he talks about as well).

More at source

So our market in Japan for Xbox is important to us. Obviously Sony and Nintendo both strong Japanese companies have done a great job… I don't know that we're winning in Japan any time soon, but the position that we have in Japan today for a platform is unacceptable to me.

We're gonna do a much better job with this next upcoming launch of not waiting ten months to launch in Japan like we did last time. We're gonna make sure that our services like Game Pass and xCloud are there so people have access to them.

I think what you're asking about is can we have more home-grown first-party content that's developed there. I'll just say I think we can. I'm not announcing anything, but I think the Japanese market is specifically important because of the creative community there, because of the gamer community there, and I want Xbox to mean more there than it does today.

That means working across a bunch of different fronts to make that possible, and it takes time. As I said, I'm still gonna see some things getting announced that aren't on our platform, and I'll cringe every time that happens, but relative to four-five years ago, I feel good about our progress, and I definitely know that we're in this for the long run in that market. In all the markets, and we want to continue to increase the relevance and the importance of Xbox to people.

This is taken from Gamertag Radio (Thread Here - https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-discussion-with-phil-spencer-gamertagradio-1000.169301/)
With the transcript from Twinfinite (Link here - https://twinfinite.net/2020/02/phil-spencer-discusses-japan-xbox-series-x/)

Last edited:

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
If they help fund new projects that wouldn't have been released otherwise? Cool.

If they just grab exclusivity, ensuring that the developer/co-publisher loses a ton of sales(from no Switch and PS4 copies existing) and potentially tanks an existing franchise? Not cool.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If they help fund new projects that wouldn't have been released otherwise? Cool.

If they just grab exclusivity, ensuring that the developer/co-publisher loses a ton of sales(from no Switch and PS4 copies existing) and potentially tanks an existing franchise? Not cool.

It has been awhile since they've done that. I can't even recall the last time they did anything more than Timed Exclusivity.
PSO 2 is a special case as it seems the game coming over is only because of Xbox.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It has been awhile since they've done that. I can't even recall the last time they did anything more than Timed Exclusivity.
PSO 2 is a special case as it seems the game coming over is only because of Xbox.

Cases like PSO 2 make me happy. There are still quite a few unique JP-only games that never see the light of day in the US and EU. Xbox being a way of bringing them overseas would be really cool.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
good luck, but...not even the PS4 is doing so hot right now

PC gaming seems to be doing well there, as is mobile gaming.

Microsoft supports console gaming with Xbox, PC gaming on Steam & Windows Store, and xCloud is in beta right now on Mobile & will be included with Gamepass.

But yea, Xbox consoles themselves will have a uphill battle.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I will believe this when I see it happen. However, MS has a uphill battle in Japan. Home consoles, while popular, is not as it used to be. They need a Switch Lite equivalent.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
One, or two, of the exclusives must be from 5PB, they develop Stein;Gates. For some strange reason they have been a huge Xbox supporter in Japan and has made both time and exlusive games for Xbox systems. They all bombed, but still continue to support it.

5pb. Announces Three New Games Exclusive To Xbox One

Microsoft's Xbox platform has never been all that successful in Japan, with it trailing other consoles by a large margin, but the future of the Xbox One may ...

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
One, or two, of the exclusives must be from 5PB, they develop Stein;Gates. For some strange reason they have been a huge Xbox supporter in Japan and has made both time and exlusive games for Xbox systems. They all bombed, but still continue to support it.

Microsoft's Xbox platform has never been all that successful in Japan, with it trailing other consoles by a large margin, but the future of the Xbox One may ...

Someone there must be a big fan of the box. When I was in Japan, a lot of the VN's I bought were by them and they even released some titles on Xbox One regardless (Though not as much as they used to).

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I will believe this when I see it happen. However, MS has a uphill battle in Japan. Home consoles, while popular, is not as it used to be. They need a Switch Lite equivalent.

Never going to happen, imo. Sony has an uphill battle in Japan: The market for traditional consoles ala PS is shrinking fast. MS is a non entity there. They know it, so their best move is to entice Japanese studios to release their software on GP.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Feel like I've read this for years. I had an Xbox over here but got rid of it because it felt useless. Hope they turn it around but not holding my breath

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft supports console gaming with Xbox, PC gaming on Steam & Windows Store, and xCloud is in beta right now on Mobile & will be included with Gamepass.

the problem is a lot of those games on gamepass are already on a system they have more preference for (compared to xbox). and I'm not certain that people are willing to buy into a subscription for Microsoft games

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese market isn't as important as Japanese games on their hardware. PS4 has countless Japanese developed games that initially skipped Xbox. These may have not been big system movers, but they add up overtime. In the US, 2017 had Nier Automata, NiOh, Persona 5, Yakuza 0... games that weren't on Xbox. Why buy an X1 in this case?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

I think a lot of us are tired of the excluive deals like FFVII Remake, Phil seems to want to get away from those and PSO 2 finally coming coming to North America seemed to happen because of Microsoft.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Don't think they give a shit about hardware sales in Japan, it's all about getting Japanese games on the Xbox ecosystem to sell to players in other markets.

PlayStation got a bunch of free exclusive press this gen because third parties either supported the Xbox late or not at all (Nier Automata, Ni-oh, Persona 5, Yakuza series, Judgement, etc). This should be unacceptable to Phil and his team.

Hopefully we've seen the tides turn a little. Game Pass is bringing over a bunch of these titles. Hopefully that leads to future releases being supported.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Japanese market isn't as important as Japanese games on their hardware. PS4 has countless Japanese developed games that initially skipped Xbox. These may have not been big system movers, but they add up overtime. In the US, 2017 had Nier Automata, NiOh, Persona 5, Yakuza 0... games that weren't on Xbox. Why buy an X1 in this case?

Agreed, to me that has been the biggest thing. I have all platforms, but I like to play on my Xbox if i'm able to.
There's so many titles that skip the box and it's just like "it wouldn't be like this if they kept the 360 momentum"

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Xbox is getting most of the popular anime games now,(SAO, DBZ, Naruto). the rest of the Kingdom Heart games are coming in a week or two and the Yakuza games are coming soon.

Progress is happening!

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like he understands the importance of it. It's not about sales in Japan specifically, it's about Japanese developed games - which certainly have an audience outside Japan itself.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I'm glad Phil understands. Get a little mind share. Support Asian markets with language, store, and gamepass support. With 5G around the corner xCloud can shine if they lay the right foundation. Half ass support in any region will lead to wholesale apathy.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I want to see them build/acquired a Japan Studio and make new JRPG IPs, nurture, flourish them all the years, and successful like Persona, Xenoblades, etc.

No, I really do want to see that.

After those success, maybe they could also rub it on SIEJA's face and laugh.

I'll be laughing at SIEJA too if that really happens someday.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool that he thinks he needs to do this, but I hope he's not doing it because of people saying they won't buy Xbox without Japanese games; those people aren't Xbox customers and never will be. Just work on making current customers want to stick around.

Oct 26, 2017
I've said it before, but Xbox just can't cut it in Japan unless a miracle happens. As said Sony's not exactly hot stuff in Japan these days either.

My advice will always be to just stick with Nintendo platforms (especially handhelds) in Japan. Minecraft on Switch has already sold over a million copies and is still growing. I'm certain that's brought far more profit to them than frankly every game on their system in Japan has brought them.

Just work on bringing games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Phantom Dust, hell even Blinx to Switch, self-publish them (like with Minecraft in Japan and Ori), and just go from there.

Making the Series X a hit in Japan may be one of the steepest hills to climb ever. I just have little to no confidence in that working out for them. They tried really hard on 360 and that was only a minor blip.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019

Mobile gaming is doing really well there. However, PC gaming is next to non-existent in Japan.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
MS should stay far away from Japan if their 360 history and Scalebound is anything to go by. Gonna fuck it all up when things are good rn

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think some of y'all are missing the first quote

" I don't know that we're winning in Japan any time soon, but the position that we have in Japan today for a platform is unacceptable to me. "

They're definitely not trying explode in Japan and "win it". But even as a Number 3 platform in most places of the world, the Xbox presence in Japan is terrible as of right now.
Most times you wouldn't even know it existed even in some of the major retailers there. Which is a far cry compared to the 360, where it sat well as being its own niche.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't get the rebuttal here? It would costs an absorbent amount of funds because of AAA Dev costs for full exclusives, its not because the Xbox division has some new found business ethics. Tomb Raider was this gen. No used games this gen. I mean they are smart enough to not come out with GTa tatoos anymore for PR but it's still the same company, and Phil has said this a million times already.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Before focusing on Japan which is a lost cause, did Phil ever acknowledge how Xbox's anglo-centric approach affects its popularity in territories like Europe ?

Because there, they can actually hope to sell more than 10K consoles per year.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mobile gaming is doing really well there. However, PC gaming is next to non-existent in Japan.

I don't live in Japan, and I don't see many articles discussing the state of gaming in Japan. But I did find this article stating that in recent years PC gaming has increased in popularity in Japan:

www.famitsu.com

2017年の世界ゲームコンテンツ市場は前年比約2割増、デジタル配信が9割を占める 『ファミ通ゲーム白書2018』が6月25日に発刊 - ファミ通.com

ゲーム総合情報メディア“ファミ通”は、『ファミ通ゲーム白書2018』を2018年6月25日に発刊する。

(translated)

The game population in 2017 grew by about 5 million from the previous year, the highest in the last five years to 4.92 million. In particular, the popularity of e-sports and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, a battle royal game, has increased the number of PC game users by 1.5 times from the previous year to 14.83 million.

Seems as of a few years ago PC's had roughly 15 million users and was rapidly growing.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think some of y'all are missing the first quote

" I don't know that we're winning in Japan any time soon, but the position that we have in Japan today for a platform is unacceptable to me. "

They're definitely not trying explode in Japan and "win it". But even as a Number 3 platform in most places of the world, the Xbox presence in Japan is terrible as of right now.
Most times you wouldn't even know it existed even in some of the major retailers there. Which is a far cry compared to the 360, where it sat well as being its own niche.

You expect people to read?

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure if they'd develop an Xbox exclusive again. Chaos;Child bombed hard (unexpectedly), and the later PS3/4/Vita versions didn't exactly sell that great in Japan either.

Shame too, as it's hands down one of my favorite games this gen.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Some of the comments in here....sheesh. Is it so wrong for Xbox to at least have parity with Sony and Nintendo in terms of 3rd party games? That's all Phil really wants is to get those games that skip his platform for no true reason and to appeal to the fan base in Japan, and yes there is a fan base no matter how small.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't get the rebuttal here? It would costs an absorbent amount of funds because of AAA Dev costs for full exclusives, its not because the Xbox division has some new found business ethics. Tomb Raider was this gen. No used games this gen. I mean they are smart enough to not come out with GTa tatoos anymore for PR but it's still the same company, and Phil has said this a million times already.

I'm not sure I get your point. The original post talked about "exclusive" content as in permanent. They blundered on Tomb Raider by lying about its exclusivity status sure. But replying specifically to that post, there hasn't been anything outside timed exclusivity which is something EVERY company does to varying degrees. Aside from that companies of all manners change with time, they aren't our friends but they know they can't stick to methods that don't please their consumers. Thus any company who wants to make money is going to change one way or another to keep the dollars.

Isn't this whole topic already discussed in the main one and not stolen content like this OP link is?

www.resetera.com

A Discussion with Phil Spencer [GamertagRadio #1000]

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7o6qfRVqLgAFde68P93i0g The new discussion with Phil Spencer on Gamertag Radio we've been anticipating!

I link to all content at the bottom of the post (and also included GTR in the title as to specify its origin). Twinfinite was used as they provided a transcript of the dialog stated for people who are unable to listen to the podcast. Content from interviews can be used to make more than one thread depending on the topics presented.