• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
A video comparing a GTX 1060-powered PC and an Xbox One X in six different games: Gears of War 4, Hitman, Forza Motorsport 7, Fortnite, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3.

https://youtu.be/dGa_7Ds13Ls

In four of the games there is a slight edge for the PC while the other two are a tie. The two platforms seem more or less evenly matched.

Stitches

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland
4k on the Xbox is like magic. When it's 1080p 60fps I'd be certain the 1060 would win, but if it's really true 4k on the bone then I don't know how they do it. I remember Digital Foundry saying that they couldn't replicate the performance at 4k on the Witcher
I can't watch the video at the moment though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
4k on the Xbox is like magic. When it's 1080p 60fps I'd be certain the 1060 would win, but if it's really true 4k on the bone then I don't know how they do it. I remember Digital Foundry saying that they couldn't replicate the performance at 4k on the Witcher
Xbox does have a lot less overhead, though. So it shouldn't be too surprising.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I thought the Xbox One X was closer as an equivalent to a 1070, potentially between a 1070/1080. That performance makes a lot more sense to me, though it may be partly due to CPU throttling the GPU.

Regardless it generally seems to fall into the expected 6Tflop range based on Nvidia to AMD performance.

Too bad cryptomining has murdered the GPU market and Ram costs are out of control.

Theblackrain

Nov 8, 2017
Hitting 4K with a 1060 with console settings is not too difficult, especially at 30fps.
Not surprised by the results in the video and it shows that the X isn't really a GTX 1070 class GPU that some people have been saying it is.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox x fairs well. I'll be getting one down the line when my backlog of switch, ps4pro dies down (if ever). I have an S for now.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I knew the X1X wasn't 1070 tier, but I did expect it to fare better against a 1060.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I thought the Xbox One X was closer as an equivalent to a 1070, potentially between a 1070/1080. That performance makes a lot more sense to me, though it may be partly due to CPU throttling the GPU.

Regardless it generally seems to fall into the expected 6Tflop range based on Nvidia to AMD performance.

Too bad cryptomining has murdered the GPU market and Ram costs are out of control.

Your not kidding, was looking for basic laptops with win 10 pro this week, and a simple i5 with 8GB Ram are now between 550-600 if your lucky

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought it was known a while ago, can't remember where I saw it exactly but the 1X is equivalent to a 1060 6GB card or slightly less powerful. So you'd expect the card to run whatever settings the 1X is running at quite comfortably. It was one of the reasons I was looking at getting a GTX 1060 when I upgrade my PC but the bloody bitcoin mining has fucked that up. For a card that retailed at around £300 I would have expected it to hit sub £200 a year and a half later with the used price near the £150 mark, but it's still nowhere near that thanks to the mining.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
in this day and age tho? come on..

Do people actually do that anymore? Especially on Xbox, which isn't really known for it's great single player games.

The value of the hardware isn't suddenly made worse by the online fees, especially if someone only plays stuff offline or in single player. But yes, you can add 30-50 dollars a year (depending on whether you buy the subs on sale or not) to the price - it still stays a good value.

Cruddy

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Live is around $40 during the holidays. Nobody pays full price. Stop being dumb.

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
Yeah, I thought it was known a while ago, can't remember where I saw it exactly but the 1X is equivalent to a 1060 6GB card or slightly less powerful. So you'd expect the card to run whatever settings the 1X is running at quite comfortably. It was one of the reasons I was looking at getting a GTX 1060 when I upgrade my PC but the bloody bitcoin mining has fucked that up. For a card that retailed at around £300 I would have expected it to hit sub £200 a year and a half later with the used price near the £150 mark, but it's still nowhere near that thanks to the mining.

I managed to grab a 4 month old Alienware laptop i7/6GB1060 for £800 and it came with a 3 year warranty too. Someone was desperate to sell on eBay, felt like I'd robbed them.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Would practically be a next gen console if not for the CPU situation. Good value for cheap 4k gaming though, particularly right now with the GPU prices.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One X has an insane cost x benefit value.

This is quite the exaggeration. Yes, there is value if you don't already own a PC that is in good shape to upgrade the Video card, there's also value if you don't already own an XB1, but where's the value if I am only looking to upgrade my 4 year old PC from a 760 to a 1060? Where's the value if I don't currently own a 4KTV to take advantage of the X?

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
That's without including the costs of yearly Xbox Live online memberships

With the costs of graphics cards right now you might want to rethink this point.

This is quite the exaggeration. Yes, there is value if you don't already own a PC that is in good shape to upgrade the Video card, there's also value if you don't already own an XB1, but where's the value if I am only looking to upgrade my 4 year old PC from a 760 to a 1060? Where's the value if I don't currently own a 4KTV to take advantage of the X?

I mean your examples are anecdotal hypotheticals. The value is that you get a console where a lot of games are currently matching high to ultra PC settings. A console that if you don't have a 4Ktv will give you performance modes that target 1080p/60fps etc. For many hardcore pc owners, an Xbox X migbt not be a big value. But if you have a low to mid range PC, or only a base Xbox One, the value is there. Look at the Digital Foundry comparison videos for Battlefront II, Forza Horizon 3 etc. Very hard to replicate that level of quality on the X without spending at least double the price, even more so now with the costs of cards having skyrocketed.

Theblackrain

Nov 8, 2017
Just goes to show that even a budget PC can match and even exceed the Xbox One X, which is still only a couple months old.
Plus the amount of options to customise the game to your liking (fps/res) on PC is a huge advantage and this goes for ALL games, not just "enhanced" games, non-enhanced games run much worse.
Hopefully this dispels a lot of the BS floating around about the X.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017

It really isn't. It's pretty much an ~RX580 which is slightly more powerful than the GTX 1060 6GB.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do people actually do that anymore? Especially on Xbox, which isn't really known for it's great single player games.

Someone lied to you. I only play solo on my Xbox One X. Some of what I picked up for my Xbox One X: Assassin's Creed Origins, Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The Witcher 3 Complete, Cuphead, Minecraft, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. All of these games are well known, on the Xbox One, and have great single player components.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't. It's pretty much an ~RX580 which is slightly more powerful than the GTX 1060 6GB.
The RX 480/580 is ~5Tflop card. I thought initially the Xbone X was slotted as a 6-7 Tflops GPU? It makes sense if it's a 6Tflop, but effectively just be a higher clocked 580 variant.

Edit: Nevermind, I seem to have my numbers wrong, the 580 is in fact a 6 Tflop GPU, and the Xbox One X seems to be 6? as well. The Xbox One X's Vram is larger and faster. But outside that, yea. I imagine longer term the Xbox One X would win out, but right now, about on par.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I know they're trying to make the narrative about the pricing in the two comparisons, but people don't seem to understand that the i5 750 overclocked to 3.7 GHz in the PC is at the very least 4-6 times better than the CPU in the Xbox One X. I really can't wait until consoles start using Ryzen cpu cores or even potentially Intel cpu cores now that they have a licensing deal with AMD for graphics, that would give us a lot more 60 fps games and more higher fps for VR/AR games.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Slight edge to the 1060? What dark magic 1060 are they using?

I have an Alienware with a 6GB 1060 paired with an i7 and 16GB of RAM and it can't even touch 4K. Computer completely shit itself when I tried to run the Forza 7 demo on a 4K TV even at low settings.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The RX 580 is 6.175 Tflops, a factory-overclocked 480 should be roughly similar.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2938/radeon-rx-580
So it is, thanks. Man I really haven't been keeping up with the Xbox One X, but I thought it was being touted as near 1070 performance. That definitely doesn't seem apt now. I wonder how an GTX 1060 3GB stacks up, considering the current pricing dilemma (It's the only one that's relatively affordable, but I have a hard time recommending it to friends due to the limited Vram).

OP
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I have an Alienware with a 6GB 1060 paired with an i7 and 16GB of RAM and it can't even touch 4K. Computer completely shit itself when I tried to run the Forza 7 demo on a 4K TV even at low settings.

That doesn't sound normal. Is it a laptop?

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The GTX 1060 6GB and RX 580/Overclocked RX 480 8GB are somewhat close performers, so I'm not surprised that a system with a GTX 1060 is able to outperform or perform similar to the 6TF GPU in the Xbox One X in GPU bound scenarios.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Prebuilts aren't as good as building your own - they tend to have shit cooling and small cases make the problem even worse - and from what I hear i7 really need good cooling and prebuilts tend to come with a stock cooler that isn't really good enough.

OP
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how an GTX 1060 3GB stacks up, considering the current pricing dilemma (It's the only one that's relatively affordable, but I have a hard time recommending it to friends due to the limited Vram).

For 1080p gaming it should be fine using modest texture settings. For 4K gaming I would advise against it, it doesn't have enough VRAM for that.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's without including the costs of yearly Xbox Live online memberships
Those aren't mandatory. I had a 360 for like five years as a kid and never had a Gold membership, I just didn't play multiplayer.

Also there is a reason why literally no one includes them besides platform warriors trying to incite platform nerd wars

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
The RX 480/580 is ~5Tflop card. I thought initially the Xbone X was slotted as a 6-7 Tflops GPU? It makes sense if it's a 6Tflop, but effectively just be a higher clocked 580 variant.

Edit: Nevermind, I seem to have my numbers wrong, the 580 is in fact a 6 Tflop GPU, and the Xbox One X seems to be 6? as well. The Xbox One X's Vram is larger and faster. But outside that, yea. I imagine longer term the Xbox One X would win out, but right now, about on par.

The Xbox One X has more RAM compared to the VRAM of the RX580 8GB. But not all of the One X RAM can be used as VRAM. As far as I know the One X can only use 9GB for games, of which a portion will also be used for the CPU. I.e. actually RX580 8GB has more VRAM than what One X can give to its GPU.
One X has an advantage in terms of memory bandwidth, but it's actually not large, because again the PC has a main memory pool with extra bandwidth.

So it is, thanks. Man I really haven't been keeping up with the Xbox One X, but I thought it was being touted as near 1070 performance. That definitely doesn't seem apt now. I wonder how an GTX 1060 3GB stacks up, considering the current pricing dilemma (It's the only one that's relatively affordable, but I have a hard time recommending it to friends due to the limited Vram).

That's being done by those that don't understand architectural differences and just use Tflops as a comparison. I.e. Xbox One X GPU = ~6 Tflops, GTX 1070 ~6.5 Tflops -> One X GPU = 1070.