• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Again not anywhere near X settings being set to the highest. Plus the textures are a huge hit compared to the X or any gpu running with more vram. My point stands 3gb cards do not have the ability to run games with high res assets

And at higher res. Having high res textures isn't all. You're trying to make comparisons but when you can't make a point you always land on the same point: "high res textures" regardless of other settings. Even though I agree, I'd advise for 6GB of VRAM for comfort. But as opposed to your claim, it's not undoable for the 3GB variant and certainly doesn't give XB1X a nice edge over it, save for a few games, making it up for the others where the 3GB one actually has the edge.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
And at higher res. Having high res textures isn't all. You're trying to make comparisons but when you can't make a point you always land on the same point: "high res textures" regardless of other settings. Even though I agree, I'd advise for 6GB of VRAM for comfort. But as opposed to your claim, it's not undoable for the 3GB variant and certainly doesn't give XB1X a nice edge over it, save for a few games, making it up for the others where the 3GB one actually has the edge.

Not if higher res textures and graphical settings are sought after the X is better over the 3gb. If running a game with lower settings just to get 4k is what you're looking for 3gb might be a choice but no one wants that

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Not if higher res textures and graphical settings are sought after the X is better over the 3gb. If running a game with lower settings just to get 4k is what you're looking for 3gb might be a choice but no one wants that

But that's basically what Xbox One X is doing though to get higher res. Lower settings/Lower framerates.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Nope X has been running games in ultra settings like Gears 4, ROTTR, Shadow of War, Forza 7, ACO, Wolf 2, etc. Especially games that had 4k assets added

That's what the 12B 326gb/s of memory is for ;)

And at lower framerates... or not 4K. RoTTR at 4k doesn't use the best textures for exemple. Wolf2 cant hold 60fps. Shadow of War has a bad framerate. So you're telling me "it doesn't do 4k because X setting is lowered" but for Xbox One X, it's okay even though it either doesn't do 4k natively (ACO, Skyrim), has a lower framerate (Shadow of War) or doesn't use best settings (RoTTR, Shadow of War, ACO).

Memory pool won't do everything. ;)

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
And at lower framerates... or not 4K. RoTTR at 4k doesn't use the best textures for exemple. Wolf2 cant hold 60fps. Shadow of War has a bad framerate. So you're telling me "it doesn't do 4k because X setting is lowered" but for Xbox One X, it's okay even though it either doesn't do 4k natively (ACO, Skyrim), has a lower framerate (Shadow of War) or doesn't use best settings (RoTTR, Shadow of War, ACO).

Memory pool won't do everything. ;)

ROTTR at 4k does use the highest textures on the X. All modes use the highest res textures on the X. ACO and Skyrim run at dynamic and hold 4k at points and drops down to 1800p in demanding scenes but way better than the 22fps in the 3gb car that runs at lower settings that are completely missing in the X/highest preset settings like reflections, higher textures, highest shadow quality, etc. Again just because 3gb runs a game at 4k doesn't equate to X.

Show me the 3gb card running at X settings in those games :) I'd like to see how Shadow of war runs with highest 4k asset pack ;)

Also below Forza Horizon 3 on the 3gb card running in ultra settings but with no MSAA runs at a average of 29fps with ALOT of dips. This doesn't compare at all to X that holds a rock solid 30fps, which implies way higher fps if unlocked, and 4xMSAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0XejmBCuEk

Here's people who can't even run Wolf 2 on the 3gb card due to the engine, like DOOM, is extremely VRAM heavy ;)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/1479856439027716024/

Defonse
iconGames.png
Oct 27, 2017 @ 6:47am
I have a 1060 3gb and I can't run it. It keeps on crashing in the first cutscenes. Really annoying but I am not sure if it's because of the low v-ram. Can't even play the game at this momemt...

Please don't try to act like 3gb of vram is enough for games these days to run on with higher res assets cause it can't

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
if hes buying used PC parts to make it close, couldnt you buy a used XBX too?

JERM does a lot of mental and financial gymnastics in regards to pricing comparisons. "You can get this amount of RAM from your Uncle's cousin's roomates garage sale 4 days before Thanksgiving on a full moon for 20 bucks!!" kind of thing. So in those respects nobody really takes his financial comparisons seriously. But he is one of the few people who actually showcase what cheaper more cost affordable PC builds can do, so there's that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
ROTTR at 4k does use the highest textures on the X. All modes use the highest res textures on the X. ACO and Skyrim run at dynamic and hold 4k at points and drops down to 1800p in demanding scenes but way better than the 22fps in the 3gb car that runs at lower settings that are completely missing in the X/highest preset settings like reflections, higher textures, highest shadow quality, etc. Again just because 3gb runs a game at 4k doesn't equate to X.

Show me the 3gb card running at X settings in those games :) I'd like to see how Shadow of war runs with highest 4k asset pack ;)

Also below Forza Horizon 3 on the 3gb card running in ultra settings but with no MSAA runs at a average of 29fps with ALOT of dips. This doesn't compare at all to X that holds a rock solid 30fps, which implies way higher fps if unlocked, and 4xMSAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0XejmBCuEk

Here's people who can't even run Wolf 2 on the 3gb card due to the engine, like DOOM, is extremely VRAM heavy ;)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/1479856439027716024/

Untrue:

http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-09-27-10-16/XOX_002.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-09-27-10-15/NODOF_002.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

Shadow of War drops down to 24fps.

As for ACO, it doesn't hold 4k and doesn't hold 30fps either.

Can't even run Wolf 2 ? Have you even clicked and read the thread you linked ?

In the end it's funny how you define acceptable and working, conveniently around what XBX can do. It doesn't count if the 1060 do 4k when Xbox One X doesn't because it's not running top settings... but it does count when Xbox One X runs 4k at lower settings and sub 30fps framerate.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Untrue:

http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-09-27-10-16/XOX_002.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-09-27-10-15/NODOF_002.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

Shadow of War drops down to 24fps.

As for ACO, it doesn't hold 4k and doesn't hold 30fps either.

Can't even run Wolf 2 ? Have you even clicked and read the thread you linked ?

In the end it's funny how you define acceptable and working, conveniently around what XBX can do. It doesn't count if the 1060 do 4k when Xbox One X doesn't because it's not running top settings... but it does count when Xbox One X runs 4k at lower settings and sub 30fps framerate.

You're not making sense I've listed many games that run at 4k with highest settings (Forza 7, Gears 4, FH3, etc) and you've yet to show the 3gb running those games comparably. Even ROTTR that same article shows textures are evenly matched with highest pre set. There were some bugs in the gamecom build but nothing extreme. I've shown you Gears 4 on the 3gb card has lower graphical effect and textures like the other games. And those games running on the 3gb at 4k have MAJOR fps drops with lower settings too. The X can run those games with dynamic 4k if used which holds it and only drops in demanding scenes which is better than the 22fps drops for the 3gb card with missing graphical features in ACO ;) And Wolf 2 only drops to around 50+fps while holding the 4k with highest graphica presets. Forza Horizon 3 runs extremely worse than the X even with no MSAA at all which is a hog on performance too

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You're not making sense I've listed many games that run at 4k with highest settings (Forza 7, Gears 4, FH3, etc) and you've yet to show the 3gb running those games comparably. I've shown you Gears 4 on the 3gb card has lower graphical effect and textures like the other games. And those games running on the 3gb at 4k have MAJOR fps drops with lower settings too. The X can run those games with dynamic 4k if used which holds it and only drops in demanding scenes which is better than the 22fps drops for the 3gb card with missing graphical features in ACO ;) And Wolf 2 only drops to around 50+fps while holding the 4k with highest graphica presets. Forza Horizon 3 runs extremely worse than the X even with no MSAA at all which is a hog on performance too

And I shown you a lot that dont. And no Wolfenstein 2 doesnt use the highest preset either.

As I said, you have a convenient double standard in which its okay as long as the One X can do it. You mind framerate drops but not if it means 4k on XB1X (24fps on Shadow of Mordor). You dont mind lower settings if it means native 4k on One X. You dont mind non native if it means higher settings. Basically, the points which you use to dismiss this card are the same you could use to dismiss the One X. But you conveniently wont.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
And I shown you a lot that dont. And no Wolfenstein 2 doesnt use the highest preset either.

As I said, you have a convenient double standard in which its okay as long as the One X can do it. You mind framerate drops but not if it means 4k on XB1X (24fps on Shadow of Mordor). You dont mind lower settings if it means native 4k on One X. You dont mind non native if it means higher settings. Basically, the points which you use to dismiss this card are the same you could use to dismiss the One X. But you conveniently wont.

Um no?

The settings 3gb uses to run at 4k is extremely lower than X. ACO for example. Has all settings on low, with effects turned off like reflections enitrely missing just to hit 4k WITH fps dips. X runs the game comparably to highest settings with STABLE 30fps at dynamic 4k which drops down to 1800p. Even with the dips it's a large improvement over what the 3gb does to hold 4k with lower settins than the X and dips to 22fps. Think about that ;)

Again games like Gears 4 show the 3gb CAN NOT have higher res assets being rendered as shown by another poster in this thread on his 3gb card. Even with some of the games hitches on the X are better than what the 3gb can do in either settings.

Forza Horizon 3 on the 3gb card needs to lower settings than what X uses with NO msaa just to have a messy dipping fps of around 29fps while the X goes beyond that holding a rock steady 30fps with NO DIPS. Plain and simple

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Um no?

The settings 3gb uses to run at 4k is extremely lower than X. ACO for example. Has all settings on low, with effects turned off like reflections enitrely missing just to hit 4k WITH fps dips. X runs the game comparably to highest settings with STABLE 30fps at dynamic 4k which drops down to 1800p. Even with the dips it's a large improvement over what the 3gb does to hold 4k with lower settins than the X and dips to 22fps. Think about that ;)

Again games like Gears 4 show the 3gb CAN NOT have higher res assets being rendered as shown by another poster in this thread on his 3gb card. Even with some of the games hitches on the X are better than what the 3gb can do in either settings. Plain and simple

Stable with drops down to 26 during cutscenes for ACO. Check the DF comparison. And not even at 4k. As I said, you conveniently change your metric. "4k doesnt count here as it doesnt use highest preset" "Highest preset doesnt count here because it's not 4k".

And you're right for Gears of War 4. Yet, I'm not advocating for the 3GB version to be comfortable. Neither I am advocating that One X is, as opposed to you. Because as I shown to you there are games like Witcher 3 where the 3GB performs in line with One X. There are games where the One X dont use highest settings (Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein 2, AC Origins) or 4k (AC Origins) or even have sub 30fps drops (ACO, Shadow of Mordor).

Basically, you're trying to play on all fronts depending on what One X can do. Plain and simple.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
They dont. Only Gears 4 does. I've proved to you with a link that Tomb Raider actually use lower res textures.

Nope from the same article you pulled that off from

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...e-of-the-tomb-raider-full-xbox-one-x-analysis

DF
"Depth of field is missing on Xbox One X which does impact the clarity of texture detail in many scene, so we've included an extra PC shot with the effect disabled to give you a better idea how it stacks up. This helps verify that Xbox One X is a match for the PC's Very High texture setting."

And please show me a pic of the 3gb card running with the highest res textures to compare at the same scene

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Nope from the same article you pulled that off from

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...e-of-the-tomb-raider-full-xbox-one-x-analysis

DF
"Depth of field is missing on Xbox One X which does impact the clarity of texture detail in many scene, so we've included an extra PC shot with the effect disabled to give you a better idea how it stacks up. This helps verify that Xbox One X is a match for the PC's Very High texture setting."

And please show me a pic of the 3gb card running with the highest res textures to compare at the same scene

And I shown you the pic, you can verify by yourself that the textures behind like rocks and such are actually lower resolution.
But as you kindly pointed yourself, DoF is missing too. :)

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
And I shown you the pic, you can verify by yourself that the textures behind like rocks and such are actually lower resolution.
But as you kindly pointed yourself, DoF is missing too. :)

That was the gamescom build. If you actually were keeping in touch with the game on digital foundry, or even had the game you would know that DOF was added in the final build which in fact was told by Tom in his recent video that it holds 30fps in the demanding geo valley area ;) Also that pic of the PC isn't the 3gb card running it :)

Like I've been saying, to get to the closest X performance the 6gb is best as the 3gb isn't. 3gb vram isn't going to hold nothing for games these days especially games using X fully with high res assets for the extra memory that 3gb can't simply hold. It's like you're trying to say pro can have the same amount of memory as the X for assets. Just not going to work like that

Last edited:

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Who the hell cares right now you cannot get a 1060, 1070 or 1080 for a decent price. Hell even 16 gigs of DDR4 got me thinking what the fuck.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That was the gamescom build. If you actually were keeping in touch with the game on digital foundry, or even had the game you would know that DOF was added in the final build which in fact was told by Tom in his recent video that it holds 30fps in the demanding geo valley area ;)

Like I've been saying, to get to the closest X performance the 6gb is best as the 3gb isn't. 3gb vram isn't going to hold nothing for games these days especially games using X fully with high res assets for the extra memory that 3gb can't simply hold. It's like you're trying to say pro can have the same amount of memory as the X for assets. Just not going to work like that

And no video, how convenient. And the same goes for other titles barring Forza and Gears. As I said, you set the limit of what's acceptable around Xbox One X level. In one case, dropping settings and framerate is okay to reach 4k. In the other, it doesnt matter if it means higher settings. Because in the end, One X has only a few cases where it can do both. Tomb Raider isnt one of these. Neither are Skyrim, AC Origins, Wolfenstein 2 or Shadow of Mordor.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
And no video, how convenient. And the same goes for other titles barring Forza and Gears. As I said, you set the limit of what's acceptable around Xbox One X level. In one case, dropping settings and framerate is okay to reach 4k. In the other, it doesnt matter if it means higher settings. Because in the end, One X has only a few cases where it can do both. Tomb Raider isnt one of these. Neither are Skyrim, AC Origins, Wolfenstein 2 or Shadow of Mordor.

Show me 3gb card running those games higher than X

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Pretty sure they do. They all run at the highest graphical presets pc uses. Did you see Gears 4?

One I specifically had in mind was ROTTR. In the article you linked, Digital Foundry says:

"The native 4K mode is indeed impressive as Rise of the Tomb Raider remains a highly demanding game on the PC. Granted, the level of detail is pushed back compared to the PC version, but it holds up better than you might think."

And they also mention that VXAO is not used. They also seem to say that texture settings are both equal and not equal to very high settings.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
You do get the best presentation on PC, but if all you're doing is playing COD, BF, Creed, and whatever other big game and doing things you could just do on consoles, I'm not sure the extra cost is worth it. I'm not sure it's worth paying $800 - $1200 for a console with sprinkles.

Again, I've gotten the most value out of playing PC exclusive games or even older games that aren't on the current consoles. That's actually one reason I initially suggested the 1060, because then at least you can immediately run older stuff like Bayonetta 1 and RE4 in 4K without waiting for developers to do 4K patches.

For me, the technical benefit of PC isn't just image quality. Above all else, it's performance. Playing games at 30 FPS is pretty irritating, especially when you need to control the camera (i.e. every AAA game within the past 10 years). With a good PC, you'll get 60+ FPS in pretty much every game and the difference is night and day. I started playing AC: Origins on my old PC and was getting 30-45 FPS in towns, even on lower detail settings. It wasn't great. Then I upgraded my CPU and GPU and I got a rock solid 60+ FPS everywhere. It was glorious. That alone is enough reason to play modern AAA games on PC.

Spod

Nov 14, 2017
How are these selling? They seem to be unanimously liked. I'm thinking of picking one up for Skate 3, as I only have a switch and an iMac in bootcamp for steam this gen.

Spod

Nov 14, 2017
How are these selling? They seem to be unanimously liked. I'm thinking of picking one up for Skate 3, as I only have a switch and an iMac in bootcamp for steam this gen.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the technical benefit of PC isn't just image quality. Above all else, it's performance. Playing games at 30 FPS is pretty irritating, especially when you need to control the camera (i.e. every AAA game within the past 10 years). With a good PC, you'll get 60+ FPS in pretty much every game and the difference is night and day. I started playing AC: Origins on my old PC and was getting 30-45 FPS in towns, even on lower detail settings. It wasn't great. Then I upgraded my CPU and GPU and I got a rock solid 60+ FPS everywhere. It was glorious. That alone is enough reason to play modern AAA games on PC.

See, I can live with 30fps on PC. I'm fine using a PC that gets me the same performance as a console if the games are playable. It's all the other things they can do that consoles can't, that keeps me using PCs.