• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
What is the parted out cost of the build here?

How much was the 1060?

Also, if they're talking used parts here, why not just get a used Xbox One X and save $80 bucks?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Can a GTX980 run Witcher 3 at same quality settings as X at 4K? Genuine question, because I thought before the current crop of Nvidia cards gamers were struggling to hit 4K.
Maybe not with the 980 but a 980ti might be the better comparison. According to guru3d, a 980ti can average 37fps in Witcher 3 at ultra 4k (without hairworks)

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I have a PC with a 1060, 16gb ram, Ryzen. Honestly, I don't feel like the machine is up to 4K in most situations. I have a 1440P monitor, and that's a better resolution to aim for. Sometimes 1080P with all the bells and whistles is the way to go.

That's the main issue with the Pro and X. It's nice to have graphical options, because sometimes the trade off for higher resolutions isn't worth it. It's great when developers give you a few choices, but it doesn't always happen. Still, impressive bang for buck performance here no doubt!

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Can a GTX980 run Witcher 3 at same quality settings as X at 4K? Genuine question, because I thought before the current crop of Nvidia cards gamers were struggling to hit 4K.
Maybe not with the 980 but a 980ti might be the better comparison. According to guru3d, a 980ti can average 37fps in Witcher 3 at ultra 4k (without hairworks)
Well, XB1X runs at a dynamic resolution. It runs at 1800p in graphically intense scenes, and up to 2160p when not much is going on. It also drops as low as 1440p during some cutscenes.

XB1X settings are basically PS4 Pro settings with better shadows. Ultra PC settings are quite a bit better than the mid-gen versions.

So it's difficult to compare settings. But I'd say yeah, a 980 should be able to run it at settings comparable to XB1X.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I've got my fingers crossed for a 75w ~$150 xx50 ti card coming along and displacing the 1060 like the 1050 ti did to the 960. All of a sudden a budget card as strong as an X that you can stick in just about any build.

Hopefully pricing on a new GPu series isn't affected by mining.

lol, linustechtips just did an early access volta card test and its mining performance is doubled current cards. if anything prices are going to keep increasing unless the whole mining thing bottoms out hard.

Suw4rbox

Alt-Account.
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Just goes to show that even a budget PC can match and even exceed the Xbox One X, which is still only a couple months old.
Plus the amount of options to customise the game to your liking (fps/res) on PC is a huge advantage and this goes for ALL games, not just "enhanced" games, non-enhanced games run much worse.
Hopefully this dispels a lot of the BS floating around about the X.

Well said.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
lol, linustechtips just did an early access volta card test and its mining performance is doubled current cards. if anything prices are going to keep increasing unless the whole mining thing bottoms out hard.
Not surprised AMD is going hard in mining. After their lucrative(lol) console contracts and that Intel NUC what else do they have? I know Nvidia has their fingers in many pies but they continue to push their gaming side with hardware and software. Interested to see what Nvidia feels about mining vs gaming: Can they provide for both or will they decide to sacrifice one to chase the other in which case mining will be the overwhelming favorite to win that argument.

Until crypto mining either explodes into even bigger mainstream popularity or comes into government purview I feel like its in a limbo state and PC gamers will be left behind. Why are GPUs even used for mining? Is there some intrinsic reason or are they the best hardware currently available to handle the task. Is it possible if mining becomes more popular then other tech/hardware might become available solely used for mining that might be better than GPUs?

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just goes to show that even a budget PC can match and even exceed the Xbox One X, which is still only a couple months old.
Plus the amount of options to customise the game to your liking (fps/res) on PC is a huge advantage and this goes for ALL games, not just "enhanced" games, non-enhanced games run much worse.
Hopefully this dispels a lot of the BS floating around about the X.

"Budget PC"... That costs over $1000.00 AUD.

Ulcus

Nov 3, 2017
The value if the Xbox One X is great, I'm tempted to get one even if it's 600$ CAD. I wanted to upgrade my graphic card, cpu and memory but my R9-390 is selling for more that I bought it because of mining. The card is still fine for 1080p. But it's like 600$ for a 1070, almost a 1000$ for a Vega 56. So it would make more sense to get a X, that spending 1000$ and still not reach the same performance level. I don't have a 4K TV tho, I just wish TCL would sell the P série in Canada.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can throw out any XB1X/PC comparisons out the window now. Mining and ram prices just make the comparison pointless.

I hope that the PC hardware market gets back to normal. Because if it doesn't, and prices stay this way, I might have built my last gaming PC.

CaptBosa

Oct 31, 2017
Can throw out any XB1X/PC comparisons out the window now. Mining and ram prices just make the comparison pointless.

I hope that the PC hardware market gets back to normal. Because if it doesn't, and prices stay this way, I might have built my last gaming PC.

Agreed this mining craze has made anything to do with a PC have crazy prices for GPU/RAM it's beyond nuts

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017

If this is the case, I just hope a consoles can match the gaming library of a PC. That being said, besides the whole 4K advantage stuff, the XBX needs some catch up to do with its gaming libray compared to the Switch and PS4.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like having options on a PC but it's great that this console exists as building a PC is terribly expensive now. Unfortunately, you have to reply on the dev releasing a patch for it to affect older games, right?

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Theres simply no denying the X is a fabulous piece of machinery for the price. MS did a marvelous job in trying to reduce as many bottlenecks as their RRP would allow.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Theres simply no denying the X is a fabulous piece of machinery for the price. MS did a marvelous job in trying to reduce as many bottlenecks as their RRP would allow.

Well, it's simply a console.

Better visuals than a same-priced PC, but limited in terms of software.

For pure gamers who want great visuals, it's indeed an awesome deal.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

If you're talking about the Titan V, I'm pretty sure that wasn't targeted as a gaming card. Just because used prices are weird right now doesn't mean that they can't get corrected with new cards. At this point I don't know if it even makes sense for them to greatly increase the supply on current cards because of how close new ones probably are.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
If you're talking about the Titan V, I'm pretty sure that wasn't targeted as a gaming card. Just because used prices are weird right now doesn't mean that they can't get corrected with new cards. At this point I don't know if it even makes sense for them to greatly increase the supply on current cards because of how close new ones probably are.
Yeah the Titan V is for extreme processing stuff like machine learning. This is why it's really good at mining but only okay (actually sometimes worse than a 1080 Ti) at gaming. However, it would be good if Nvidia and AMD started making mining specific cards as this would not only keep the miners happy but also gamers since there wouldn't be competition for buying the gaming cards.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

its not a target gaming card, they mention that in the video, but its mining efficiency, thanks to much better architecture, will carry over in the gaming versions.
there is massive demand for cards by miners. they will snap up all the new cards and sell off their older stock but because demand will continue to exceed supply many of those older cards will go to other miners.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
all the games he used are very favorable for nvidia gpus. id like to see if its still a good match in games that dont run as well on nvidia gpus, of which there have been quite a few lately

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
The Xbox is really good bang for the buck. I wonder what the future holds for it. As in, if it'll eventually fully replace the base model, or what'll happen.

I decided to upgrade my GPU instead (prior the the X release), as it benefitted more games for me. And with Play Anywhere it seemed the better option.

But if I didn't already have a PC to upgrade, I would have likely bought the X. May still, if I decide to replace my launch model.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
That looks about right.

X is basically a RX 580 in terms of power that matches a GTX 1060.

The biggest advantage of the PC is the CPU that even the actual slowest ones are 2-3 times better than Jaguar on X.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Slight edge to the 1060? What dark magic 1060 are they using?

I have an Alienware with a 6GB 1060 paired with an i7 and 16GB of RAM and it can't even touch 4K. Computer completely shit itself when I tried to run the Forza 7 demo on a 4K TV even at low settings.
You are using an underclocked mobile version... even the specs are probably cut to reach a better power efficiency required by mobile.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As it is, especially given the current cryptocraze, the Xbox One X is the best value out there, you need to find some ridiculous used bargains to even get close to it for 500$, and the XBX also includes the input method (no extra mouse and keyboard needed), a 1TB HDD, etc.. Obviously, as it's been on consoles since like forever, you can buy better performing machines, but be ready to shell out a higher amount of cash. But this is normal, look at last-gen: when GTA V came out, you could play those graphics on consoles that were being sold sub-$200 at that point. Good luck putting together a PC running that game on identical specs for the same price in the same period of time. Consoles are obviously cheaper to buy-in and easier to use, and in particular the Xbox One X packs some hell of a punch. If you go for official retailers and not used you can't get Forza Motorsport 7 at stable 60fps at those settings on PC for 499$, and even going used you'd have a really hard time. And that's not even talking about the base Xbox or PS4 that you could snag for sub-200$ lately that, again, outperform the PCs that go for 200$ that are really, really low-level stuff.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still wonder what MS did to Sony's approach of having onion and garlic busses which greatly reduced bandwidth available for the GPU which is the reason why Pro games sometimes run worse than we could expect and how that has an effect to overall performance. The biggest difference in architecture is that consoles have unified RAM which PC does not.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I still wonder what MS did to Sony's approach of having onion and garlic busses which greatly reduced bandwidth available for the GPU which is the reason why Pro games sometimes run worse than we could expect and how that has an effect to overall performance. The biggest difference in architecture is that consoles have unified RAM which PC does not.

What?

Gearsmith

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Jan 16, 2018
Would the results be any different if they had used a 1060 3GB instead?

Gearsmith

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Jan 16, 2018
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that he does not mention HDR considering 4 titles have such fantastic implementation on the 1X. HDR easily flips Gears 4, Forza 7, Hitman and Witcher 3 for me. To each his own I guess.

Edit: 1 mention of HDR, and of course, it's that he prefers the SDR implementation. And using sharpening filters.......

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This really puts the value of the X into perspective. Even more so with the prices spiking from all this data mining going on.

Ohhhht

Oct 29, 2017
Just because bringing up console online paywall is not to your liking does not mean 'platform wars'

When talking about costs Xbox Live should be counted. It's pretty much mandatory you can't even play F2P games on Xbox without Xbox Live. Can't play that Roblox fam.

Also: https://www.statista.com/statistics/531063/xbox-live-mau-number/

Currently 53 million active Xbox Live memberships. An Xbox without Xbox Live is worthless and many people know that. It's essential when buying an Xbox.
It never ceases to amaze me that having the best online ecosystem for multiplayer has somehow been spun into a negative thing over the years. This is Neo... I mean ERA... I mean... wait?!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that he does not mention HDR considering 4 titles have such fantastic implementation on the 1X. HDR easily flips Gears 4, Forza 7, Hitman and Witcher 3 for me. To each his own I guess.

I think it flips it for every one, the difference is instantly perceivable, but i dont think that has anything to do with performance (if your within the same performance range). However it would be a significant reason why and X version would be better to play. W3, Forza Horizon/7 and Gears come alive with HDR.