• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Can throw out any XB1X/PC comparisons out the window now. Mining and ram prices just make the comparison pointless.

I hope that the PC hardware market gets back to normal. Because if it doesn't, and prices stay this way, I might have built my last gaming PC.

Maybe in USA. Price inflation (in one territorry on top of that) is an argument as dumb as insane deals you can find. It's not because scalpers in USA sell a 1060 for 600 dollars that it's a 600 dollars GPU. and it's not because I bought a 1080ti for 500 dollars that it makes it a 500 dollars GPU.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1060 3GB that I bought at launch (before the whole mining BS got all the prices up) and yeah, it's pretty serviceable. It can run pretty much all last gen titles I throw at it in 4K. However it's better to stick to 1080p for the newer titles, like Dark Souls 3, but it will run at 60fps.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm quite surprised by those results. I would have thought the X would be between the 1060 and 1070, not around the 1060.

Kinda reminds me how much of a beast the 1060 is though.

Still, I didn't really do proper testing but my 1060 usually doesn't have a lot of overhead when running 1080p60, so those results still surprise me (4k30 is twice the processing power). Don't always trust your instincts I guess ...

OP
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm quite surprised by those results. I would have thought the X would be between the 1060 and 1070, not around the 1060.

I saw others expressing the same sentiment but I don't know why. The XB1X GPU is 6 Tflops, the GTX 1070 is 6.4 Tflops even before you take into account architectural diffrences between AMD and Nvidia. The GTX 1070 performs a bit worse than the Vega 56 which is an 11-Tflop card, way beyond the XB1X.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2993/radeon-rx-vega-56

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
This really puts the value of the X into perspective. Even more so with the prices spiking from all this data mining going on.
What goes up must come down. The market is about to be flooded with cheap used cards. Probably before the summer. The 4k/60fps dream could become affordable. If you look at the list of XBX enhanced games there is still a lot of 30 in the framerate column.

But if you don't care about framerates or PC exclusives that much you'd be stupid not to get an X. Probably the best hardware value on a console since the 360 launch.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
heres an unrelated video of a 1060 being benchmarked at 4k in 9 different games. all settings are shown for each title. just another data pint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71NsC8T2ds

This is a good showcase, but in my experience I would rather drop resolution to 1440p or something close and target for 60 FPS instead. The fluidity and increase in temporal resolution always plays and often looks better than a simple spatial (pixel) resolution increase.

Nov 12, 2017
Just goes to show that even a budget PC can match and even exceed the Xbox One X, which is still only a couple months old.
Plus the amount of options to customise the game to your liking (fps/res) on PC is a huge advantage and this goes for ALL games, not just "enhanced" games, non-enhanced games run much worse.
Hopefully this dispels a lot of the BS floating around about the X.
Bs? Tell me how u really feel ))

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Honestly this whole comparison is silly... In fact most comparisons like this with console vs PC are.

So what if PC is better or Console in hardware terms, if your making a binary choice based on that it misses the main difference of the platforms.

Sure you can have better hardware on PC, and sure at the moment the hardware value is better with the X etc.... But ultimately the main reason I play PC (and have done for years) is the fact that it isn't fixed hardware and a closed ecosystem... I can choose my hardware, I can fiddle, I can choose from multiple ecosystems... I have far more choice and flexible over console.

If you don't want to fiddle, are fine with a certain ecosystem and want less choice / complication that console is a perfectly valid choice (no really it is).

If you want a PC just to be console+ you are barely scratching the surface.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No idea why some would think the X GPU to be on par or even better than a 1070, that's crazy.
It's in the 1060/580/480 category, quite a bit below a 1070.
A 1070 is less than 10% slower on average than Vega 56, a 10.5TF card.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Over all, a good comparison. The obvious flaw of this comparison is price though.
No way you could buy that rig with close to 450 right now.
And if the previous implosion of Bitcoin can't drive the price of GPU down, nothing will drive the price down for a long long long, long time.
Anyhow, all the games looks very good on both gaming machines.

I think it'll be interesting to compare games coming out this holiday season when games build with Xbox One X and PS4 pro in mind are coming out to the market.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
No idea why some would think the X GPU to be on par or even better than a 1070, that's crazy.
It's in the 1060/580/480 category, quite a bit below a 1070.
A 1070 is less than 10% slower on average than Vega 56, a 10.5TF card.

I think digital foundry has said in some scenario, Xbox One X can compare with 1070 because of the 12GB DDR5 ram.
I am too lazy to find the quote though. So I might be 100% wrong.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think digital foundry has said in some scenario, Xbox One X can compare with 1070 because of the 12GB DDR5 ram.
I am too lazy to find the quote though. So I might be 100% wrong.

The amount of RAM doesn't matter when we're talking about which GPU is faster.
And even accounting for the bandwidth difference, the 1070 is still more powerful than what's in the X.
As I said earlier a 1070 is not that far behind Vega 56, AMD's latest gen GPU (10.5TF, 409.6 GB/s bandwidth)
Another comparison would be against a Fury X (8.6TF, 512GB/s bandwidth), the 1070 is around 20% faster.

Oct 28, 2017
Can throw out any XB1X/PC comparisons out the window now. Mining and ram prices just make the comparison pointless.

I hope that the PC hardware market gets back to normal. Because if it doesn't, and prices stay this way, I might have built my last gaming PC.

Prebuilts are getting extremely competitive pricing these days. A couple years back I would say "prebuilt under no circumstances, build your own" and that would have been good advice. These days, just picked up a i5/1060/8GB/1TB 7200rpm HDD system running Windows 10 64-bit for $679.... With a free Windows Mixed Reality headset+controllers ($400 value) for $679.99 over the holidays.

The X is great hardware for the money... But I'd much rather cough up the extra $179 for the vastly superior library/free online/utility of having a high-end PC in the house. It'll pay itself off after a year of shopping smart for gaming. I still don't understand

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Prebuilts are still great. Just picked up a i5/1060/8GB/1TB 7200rpm HDD system running Windows 10 64-bit for $679.... With a free Windows Mixed Reality headset+controllers ($400 value) for $679.99 over the holidays.

The X is great hardware for the money... But I'd much rather cough up the extra $179 for the vastly superior library/free online/utility of having a high-end PC in the house. It'll pay itself off after a year of shopping smart for gaming. I still don't understand

Miners will eventually buy out the prebuilts and gut them for the cards.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I saw others expressing the same sentiment but I don't know why. The XB1X GPU is 6 Tflops, the GTX 1070 is 6.4 Tflops even before you take into account architectural diffrences between AMD and Nvidia. The GTX 1070 performs a bit worse than the Vega 56 which is an 11-Tflop card, way beyond the XB1X.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2993/radeon-rx-vega-56
As I said, my 1060 doesn't exactly idle around when running 1080p60 games. 4k30 is twice the pixel throughput. But then again, that was just guessing based on a few games, so heh.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kinda reminds me how much of a beast the 1060 is though.

Still, I didn't really do proper testing but my 1060 usually doesn't have a lot of overhead when running 1080p60, so those results still surprise me (4k30 is twice the processing power). Don't always trust your instincts I guess ...

Why are you? That is exactly where the Xbox One X sits.

GTX1060:
4.730 GFLOPs (boost clock)
88.704 MPix/s
147.840 MTex/s
192.000 MB/s (The old Version)
6GB Memory

Xbox One X:

6.000 GFLOPs
37.504 MPix/s
187.520 MTex/s
326.400 MB/s (shared with CPU)
9GB Memory

GTX1070:

6.854 GFLOPs
114.214 MPix/s
214.200 MTex/s
256.000 MB/s
8GB Memory

Nvidia architecture has some advantages over AMD and console has some advantages over PC.
So there is no 1 to 1 comparison, but both are stronger or weaker in some cases.
The problem with all these videos is, they don't even mention what GTX1060 they use.
Some are overclocked, some not. Could make and additional >10% difference to a founders edition card.

A beefy CPU + good GTX1070 card is notably stronger than a Xbox One X, tho
MY GTX1070 has this specs:
7.800 GFLOPS
128.000 MPix/s
240.000 MTex/s
320.000MB/s
8GB Memory

Last edited:
in this day and age tho? come on..
Well, yes. There are a lot of people who play games solely for SP. I for one am one of them on a X360.

Oh, that's why I haven't played a single game in four years. Wait, I played 113. And none of them multiplayer. Keep that shitty attitude out of here, please.
I don't see why you are feeling offended by it considering that user was not even talking to you..

Just goes to show that even a budget PC can match and even exceed the Xbox One X, which is still only a couple months old.
Plus the amount of options to customise the game to your liking (fps/res) on PC is a huge advantage and this goes for ALL games, not just "enhanced" games, non-enhanced games run much worse.
Hopefully this dispels a lot of the BS floating around about the X.
GTX 1060 is not a ''budget PC''. Also, the prices fluctuate massively, ive read over 400 bucks for this card alone. Here a GTX 1060 does 280, leaving you with 220 euros to assemble a build. I am fairly sure you could build something that is similar to an X in a bigger case, especially when you go used parts, but a PC like that is hardly ''budget''.

And actually, i am kinda disappointed that this kind of argument is still a ''thing''. This literally is not 500 euros worth of hardware like the X, its more.

You'll spend more on the PC.

A 6GB GTX 1060 by itself costs as much as an Xbox One X.
Really depends by country. Here its 280 though.

Why is there constant arguments? If you like Xbox, play Xbox. If you like PC, play PC.

Jesus wept.
Because despite all efforts on ERA by staff and members around who just want to have a meaningful discussion, still way too many people feel the need to ''defend'' a console. Which is kinda preposterous considering this generation has seen pretty much equal experiences sans the resolution. In last-gen you still had missing effects on one platform, but this gen is remarkable in the sense how much looks identical to eachother.

Sadly, for some, it is not. Just being ''edgy'' and off they go. I hope some knowledge is learned here.

Back in the good old days, xbox 360 had a gpu comparable to top end gpu of the time.

All for 299-399 usd
It even was beyond the top end at the time, given it was the first universal shader hardware on the market. Its why the X360 retained remarkable longevity and consistent performance over the years.

no i dont read , comparision pc with console is brain cancer
Spelling also seems to be a problem. But alas, this was not worth using your email-address for, user.

Calm the fuck down console warrior, he didn't insult your mother or anything.
Lets keep this basic terminology also out of these threads, or ERA in general. Only serves to distract, no need for it.

Cool info either way you go great fun.
??? There must be a deeper meaning to this post.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this whole comparison is silly... In fact most comparisons like this with console vs PC are.

So what if PC is better or Console in hardware terms, if your making a binary choice based on that it misses the main difference of the platforms.

Sure you can have better hardware on PC, and sure at the moment the hardware value is better with the X etc.... But ultimately the main reason I play PC (and have done for years) is the fact that it isn't fixed hardware and a closed ecosystem... I can choose my hardware, I can fiddle, I can choose from multiple ecosystems... I have far more choice and flexible over console.

If you don't want to fiddle, are fine with a certain ecosystem and want less choice / complication that console is a perfectly valid choice (no really it is).

If you want a PC just to be console+ you are barely scratching the surface.

Totally agree.

If all you care about is running AAA games the best way possible, I don't think it's worth getting into PC, especially right now. I spend a significant chunk of my gaming time on PC playing games that simply aren't available on PS4 or Xbox One. And I play them between two different systems -- a laptop and a desktop hooked up to a TV.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Huh. That's actually better performance than I would have expected. If I didn't have a mildly decent gaming PC, I'd consider picking one of those up.

MarsMayflower

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
500 dollar console performs similarly to mainstream gaming GPU. I'm shocked.

Also, loving that my X provides that new GPU smell.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently got a 1090t x6 phenom at 3.6ghz with a 1060 gtx 3gb, with 8gb of ram.. and I'm super surprised with how well all games run on it. My cpu is a bottleneck but Im able to get 1080p/60 in most if not all games.

Oh wait whats going on in here?

Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif

OP
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
If all you care about is running AAA games the best way possible, I don't think it's worth getting into PC, especially right now.

I strongly disagree. Not with the 'right now' part, it is indeed a bad time to build a high-end PC, but wanting to run AAA games in the best way possible is a great jumping off point to PC gaming. The platform absolutely has a lot more to offer but you have to start somewhere. If that somewhere is the desire to enjoy AAA at high resolutions, framerates and settings, so be it. In time most people will gain the confidence or have the curiosity to delve into the other unique features of the platform, including its enormous library of games not available anywhere else.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
What kind of PC player would go for resolution over 60fps tho.

A 1060 + any i5 or higher CPU from the last 3 years will get you 1080p / 60fps in 95% of current gen games with higher settings then console on top.

I have a heavily overclocked GTX 1080, and in some games, image quality is more important to me than framerate. If I'm playing any game with a keyboard and mouse or something that requires quick movement, I'll make sure I get 60 fps+ at all times if possible. Most of the time I get great framerate AND image quality with this card, but If I'm playing something more demanding (or less optimized) like Watch Dogs 2 with a controller on my TV, I'd rather have a locked 30 fps with max settings, good framepacing and good IQ.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly disagree. Not with the 'right now' part, it is indeed a bad time to build a high-end PC, but wanting to run AAA games in the best way possible is a great jumping off point to PC gaming. The platform absolutely has a lot more to offer but you have to start somewhere. If that somewhere is the desire to enjoy AAA at high resolutions, framerates and settings, so be it. In time most people will gain the confidence or have the curiosity to delve into the other unique features of the platform, including its enormous library of games not available anywhere else.

Maybe, but who is to say whether or not people remain interested in just AAA games? How many of those people actually do end up being interested in games like Heat Signature, Angels Fall First, and following the development of Project Wingman? It'd be interesting if someone did a study or something and came up with a chart. If someone is the kind of person who only plays GTA and buys COD every year though, I wouldn't mind them just sticking with a console.

I guess I got into PC for mixed reasons. In 2007 I could've gone ahead and bought COD4 and The Orange Box on PS3 and been satisfied, but I was also interested in Crysis 1 and Command & Conquer 3. Now my top PC games are Arma 3 and Space Engine, and right now I'm playing through Heretic.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised miners aren't buying up prebuilts. Buying a new GPU along with Ram seems like it would be more expensive than just buying one of these prebuilts you often see for cheap.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
This line of dialogue isn't going to get you far on era. Just look at neogaf.

I'm not the one making a generalization about what does and doesn't need to be purchased with a console. I was pointing out a fallacy that claiming online gaming is integral to a system's use is a little silly on a forum that generally favours games that don't require online.

Rivi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the one making a generalization about what does and doesn't need to be purchased with a console. I was pointing out a fallacy that claiming online gaming is integral to a system's use is a little silly on a forum that generally favours games that don't require online.
This line of dialogue isn't going to get you far on ERA. Just look at your generalization earlier.

Oct 28, 2017
buyed one last month (got and offer for 400 euros) nice console,but i still think the whole 4k thing its overrated as hell,i prefer 1080p at 60 fps it hurts to see bad framerate in xbox x ones games and man xbox users tend to the hiperbole to the maximum,its a very nice console