• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
A video comparing a GTX 1060-powered PC and an Xbox One X in six different games: Gears of War 4, Hitman, Forza Motorsport 7, Fortnite, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3.

https://youtu.be/dGa_7Ds13Ls

In four of the games there is a slight edge for the PC while the other two are a tie. The two platforms seem more or less evenly matched.

Do all those games run at a constant, native 4k on Xbox? If they have dynamic resolution or upscaling, they aren't valid comparisons.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Maybe, but who is to say whether or not people remain interested in just AAA games? How many of those people actually do end up being interested in games like Heat Signature, Angels Fall First, and following the development of Project Wingman? It'd be interesting if someone did a study or something and came up with a chart. If someone is the kind of person who only plays GTA and buys COD every year though, I wouldn't mind them just sticking with a console.

I guess I got into PC for mixed reasons. In 2007 I could've gone ahead and bought COD4 and The Orange Box on PS3 and been satisfied, but I was also interested in Crysis 1 and Command & Conquer 3. Now my top PC games are Arma 3 and Space Engine, and right now I'm playing through Heretic.

Even if you're only interested in AAA games, the PC will have the best versions of those games. If you only care about AAA, that means you place a lot of weight on presentation and again, PC versions will always be superior in that regard. Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb for people to only be interested in big-budget games, especially on PC where there's so much diversity, but PC is definitely the place to go if you really care about presentation.

It's always struck me as bizarre that some console gamers obsess about 4K while accepting things like dynamic resolution, upscaling and 30 FPS. I imagine much of that is the result of all the hype and marketing that hardware-makers have put into 4K and HDR. I wish those companies would put all that effort into promoting 60 FPS instead.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Do all those games run at a constant, native 4k on Xbox? If they have dynamic resolution or upscaling, they aren't valid comparisons.
No. Gears of war 4, Hitman and Forza are native 4K.

Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 have a dynamic resolution (TW3 rarely ever hits native 4K)

Fortnite is 1728p.

OP
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Compared to PC right now it's great value. RAM prices have skyrocketed, GPU prices are in another galaxy if you can find them in stores.

It's true that right now is not the best time to be building a PC. However, this situation isn't going to last forever and it would be very interesting to see how the Xbox's value holds up against a new line of properly priced graphics cards. If the 1150Ti launches close to the 1050Ti launch price of $140 and offers 1060-like performance then it will make budget gaming builds extremely affordable and very competitive to the Xbox One X in both price and performance.

For example, let's take this entry-level gaming build from PCpartpicker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/T3Xscf/entry-level-amd-gaming-build

This costs $575 dollars, $75 dollars more than the Xbox One X. It has a more powerful CPU and a bigger hard drive, however its GPU is priced at $190 and it's much weaker than the console's GPU. Now, imagine if you could replace that GPU with an $150 graphics card that would offer 1060-like performance. You'd have a system that would offer the same GPU performance as the console, better CPU performance and a bigger hard drive for just $30 more than the console's official price. That would be pretty damn competitive.

Of course that's just speculation and guesswork, we don't know how the situation with GPU and RAM prices will develop or even if the new cards will offer substantial performance increases. In the here and now, matching the Xbox One X's GPU horsepower is prohibitively expensive for most people.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah. 15" version. I had bought a 43" LG 4K TV a while back and only had the Pro at the time, so I assumed the Alienware would do 4K given the combo involved. Nnnnnnnnnope. Literal slideshow. When I dropped it to 1080p, ran the demo just fine. SO I just figured the card can't handle 4K.

Yours is defective. Alienware laptops are built like tanks and should have no problem running any game at 4k without throttling.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
with the PC part prices right now, the X is unquestionably the best value at the moment.
No, thanks. No matter how expensive the hardware is, the cheap one still doesn't allow me to choose my controllers, my resolution, my FoV, my aspect ratio, my framerate, my graphic configs (disable annoying/unnecessary effects), my mods, my insane gaming library, turn vsync off, play shooters without aim assists and claw grip, etc, etc...

Limited options can fuck right off.

This right here, no matter how cheap it is.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Yea 1440p is the best middle ground. 4k 30fps can fuck right off.

My brother! Any kind of 30fps is pretty rough to me, depending on game. Of course some 30fps is better than others. On my PS4 slim, I found the input delay acceptable for HZD, sure I'd prefer it in 1440/60, but the game was so good I didn't let it ruin the experience.

On the other hand, AC Unity and Shadow of Mordor, although "30fps", were so sluggish on input delay that I found the experience simply unbearable. SoM was really disappointing, as I played the base game way back on release on PC with a lowly 670FTW, and it was glorious. Flash forward to finding the complete edition for PS4 for a few bucks in a bin. Thought I'd go ahead and give it another go. Nope, horrible, it's definitely a series along with AC that truly is massively aided by a high framerate and minimal input lag.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
with the PC part prices right now, the X is unquestionably the best value at the moment.

That's questionnable. Online paywall is a thing. Lack of upgrade is a thing. I mean, if we're thinking XB1X as a new generation SKU, sure. But let's not forget it's a mid gen upgrade too. And to be honest, if anyone built an hardware back in the XB1 launch days, they'd have far better upgrade options. So they would when XB1X gets replaced.

It also depends on your usage too. It also depends where do you live. Save for ram prices, GPU prices didnt moved a lot in Europe. Basing everything on a thing happening right now in USA is a lame point, as lame as it would be to base GPU prices on a cheap country or a huge discount.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
That's questionnable. Online paywall is a thing. Lack of upgrade is a thing. I mean, if we're thinking XB1X as a new generation SKU, sure. But let's not forget it's a mid gen upgrade too. And to be honest, if anyone built an hardware back in the XB1 launch days, they'd have far better upgrade options. So they would when XB1X gets replaced.

It also depends on your usage too. It also depends where do you live. Save for ram prices, GPU prices didnt moved a lot in Europe. Basing everything on a thing happening right now in USA is a lame point, as lame as it would be to base GPU prices on a cheap country or a huge discount.

"GPU prices didnt moved a lot in Europe"
Because they were already much expensive than US. Even with all the mining situation, building a PC in US is considerable more affordable than Europe.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
"GPU prices didnt moved a lot in Europe"
Because they were already much expensive than US. Even with all the mining situation, building a PC in US is considerable more affordable than Europe.

Uh, no ?
You can still get a 1060 3GB for around 220€ and the 6GB variant for around 300€.
Same for the RX580.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was tempted to buy an Xbox One X, but Microsoft made the Project Scorpio a limited edition. I can't have it without paying a lot of money, so I will never buy one.

Nov 27, 2017
Tempted to buy a 1060 now to replace my 960...I'm going good at 1080p I'll probably just wait until I get and gtx1080 in a couple years when the prices come down but it's sure tempting.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you're only interested in AAA games, the PC will have the best versions of those games. If you only care about AAA, that means you place a lot of weight on presentation and again, PC versions will always be superior in that regard. Don't get me wrong, I think it's dumb for people to only be interested in big-budget games, especially on PC where there's so much diversity, but PC is definitely the place to go if you really care about presentation.

It's always struck me as bizarre that some console gamers obsess about 4K while accepting things like dynamic resolution, upscaling and 30 FPS. I imagine much of that is the result of all the hype and marketing that hardware-makers have put into 4K and HDR. I wish those companies would put all that effort into promoting 60 FPS instead.

You do get the best presentation on PC, but if all you're doing is playing COD, BF, Creed, and whatever other big game and doing things you could just do on consoles, I'm not sure the extra cost is worth it. I'm not sure it's worth paying $800 - $1200 for a console with sprinkles.

Again, I've gotten the most value out of playing PC exclusive games or even older games that aren't on the current consoles. That's actually one reason I initially suggested the 1060, because then at least you can immediately run older stuff like Bayonetta 1 and RE4 in 4K without waiting for developers to do 4K patches.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The value of the hardware isn't suddenly made worse by the online fees, especially if someone only plays stuff offline or in single player. But yes, you can add 30-50 dollars a year (depending on whether you buy the subs on sale or not) to the price - it still stays a good value.
It doesn't really though, It's not a great value at the price they are asking. It's a nice piece of hardware but I couldn't recommend it over an xbox one s.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That first Digital Foundry video on the One X lead a lot of people to believe it was going to be somehow equivalent to a 1070 lol, I told them it wouldn't even surpass the 1060.

Still, quite capable for a 500 dollar machine.

EDIT: Although, there are better stock 1060s to test against tbh, like the EVGA SC Edition.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Only tangentially related to thread, but i just wanna say that I love my 1060 3GB for regular old 1080p gaming. No complaints.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If I hadn't had a PC with a 1070 and i5 4690k, and would also love to play many small indie games only available on PC, I would buy the Xbox One X. I like the design, the low noise level and many of its games.

Compared to current RAM and GPU prices, as others have already mentioned, it's really a good performance-to-cost value.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I thought the Xbox One X was closer as an equivalent to a 1070, potentially between a 1070/1080. That performance makes a lot more sense to me, though it may be partly due to CPU throttling the GPU.

Regardless it generally seems to fall into the expected 6Tflop range based on Nvidia to AMD performance.

Too bad cryptomining has murdered the GPU market and Ram costs are out of control.

1070 can do 1440p 120hz in a lot of modern games so... No

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
The 1060 3gb cards can't run in high res and can't run games with high res textures like the X does. Though they are good for 1080p gaming

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically, the Nvidia "Founders Edition" cards are now the best deal you can get while they were called "theft" back in 2016 haha

No, because you generally can't even find founders cards in stock and if you do they are way over MSRP. Unless that's changed.

Edit: yeah, holy shit 1070s are going for near $1000 on eBay and Amazon. I should maybe sell my cards.

Holy fuck would someone actually buy my evga 1070 hybrid for like $1200?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda irrelevant to whether the X is equivalent to a 1070 though. It's clearly not as it cannot even surpass a 1060.

It is relevant though if you're talking about how powerful the gpu is in the X if you remove the cpu from the equation. The Xs gpu has more CUs than an RX 580, there isn't an exact equivalent gpu you can actually buy on the shelf. Logically it's a bit better than an rx580 and thus it's a solid 10-20% better than a 1060. We don't really know what other kind of enhancements AMD might have added to the Polaris X chip other than the extra CUs, unless someone on here does know if there are additional architecture improvements. I believe it is downclocked a bit from what you could get out of a desktop RX 580 as well though so that might cancel out on paper that it's a more advanced chip than a 580.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
Edit: yeah, holy shit 1070s are going for near $1000 on eBay and Amazon. I should maybe sell my cards.

Holy fuck would someone actually buy my evga 1070 hybrid for like $1200?

Crazy right!? I have a EVGA 1080 FTW that i'm VERY tempted to put on Ebay. I just need something to hold me over... which i cant find... and who knows how long this mess will last.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is relevant though if you're talking about how powerful the gpu is in the X if you remove the cpu from the equation. The Xs gpu has more CUs than an RX 580, there isn't an exact equivalent gpu you can actually buy on the shelf. Logically it's a bit better than an rx580 and thus it's a solid 10-20% better than a 1060. We don't really know what other kind of enhancements AMD might have added to the Polaris X chip other than the extra CUs, unless someone on here does know if there are additional architecture improvements. I believe it is downclocked a bit from what you could get out of a desktop RX 580 as well though so that might cancel out on paper that it's a more advanced chip than a 580.

The RX 580 is indeed clocked higher and has slightly better FP performance (6.2 vs 6)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Check any comparisons. The 3GB is simply not enough to store the ultra res assets in Gears 4. There's pics showing the 6gb vs 3gb where the 3gb card had low res textures compared to the 6gb card

Well, I checked comparisons and I see 1060 3GB holding its own vs XB1X in some games like The Witcher 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqTDwh6CDI&t=699s

Skyrim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZodTwmKp1Ig&t=695s

And that's not accounting a lot of games which XB1X doesn't support yet or may never support in 4k.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know its fun to compare PC vs Console but to me they are such different experiences and comparing them one to one on graphics alone is selling both of these short IMO.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that a $500 console is performing about equally, maybe better, to a GTX 980 - a 3 year old card that costed $549 at launch - is very impressive.

It's about where it should be considering a 1060 and RX 580 launched at $250 to consumers and XBX uses a low watt very old Jaguar core.

XBX is a very well done system no doubt, they timed it well to maximize the power per watt GPU, ram speeds and price. PS4 went a year early with the GPUs known in PC circles to be more power hungry than what was to finally come from AMD and also PS4 Pro went $100 cheaper, hence how we have pretty much 1440p vs 1900-2160p boxes.

Not saying XBX will sell loads better, just that as an upgrade it's substantial and well executed for its probable intention.

Last edited: