• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to buy a 1060 now to replace my 960...I'm going good at 1080p I'll probably just wait until I get and gtx1080 in a couple years when the prices come down but it's sure tempting.

Not worth it right now.
The jump isn't that big and you have to pay a premium.
Wait for next gen and maybe get a cheap used one, or go straight to 1160.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Well, I checked comparisons and I see 1060 3GB holding its own vs XB1X in some games like The Witcher 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqTDwh6CDI&t=699s

Skyrim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZodTwmKp1Ig&t=695s

And that's not accounting a lot of games which XB1X doesn't support yet or may never support in 4k.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-review_13

..the end result is that three gigs is indeed enough for top-tier 1080p60 gameplay - as long as you stay away from memory hogs like MSAA (which tends to kill frame-rate) along with 'HQ/HD' texture packs and extreme resolution texture options.

Just take a pic of Gears 4 on ultra settings running on the 3gb card, you'll see it doesn't match X/6gb version in texture quality

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just goes to show that even a budget PC can match and even exceed the Xbox One X, which is still only a couple months old.
Plus the amount of options to customise the game to your liking (fps/res) on PC is a huge advantage and this goes for ALL games, not just "enhanced" games, non-enhanced games run much worse.
Hopefully this dispels a lot of the BS floating around about the X.
Wait, what? The PC in the OP is made out of used parts. And the GPU alone is minimum $450: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100007709 601205646&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

This is not a budget PC. The cost of the GPU is almost cost of the entire Xbox One X, which includes controller.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-review_13

Just take a pic of Gears 4 on ultra settings running on the 3gb card, you'll see it doesn't match X/6gb version in texture quality

Right, that's one game (even though you didn't provide any comparisons or fact to back your point) against a lot more running at 4k on that cards, which I shown you already. Like for exemple, The Witcher 3 is actually native 4k on the 1060 3GB as opposed to dynamic res on Xbox One X. What conclusion should I draw regarding this, if I follow your logic ?

Wait, what? The PC in the OP is made out of used parts. And the GPU alone is minimum $450: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100007709 601205646&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

This is not a budget PC. The cost of the GPU is almost cost of the entire Xbox One X, which includes controller.

No it's not. The MSRP isn't 450 dollars. Inflated price is the same as discounted price: These are not how these GPU are positionned in fact. Or let's say my 500 dollars GTX 1080ti is supposed to be 50 dollars more expensive than the 1060 despite being more than twice faster.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's true that right now is not the best time to be building a PC. However, this situation isn't going to last forever and it would be very interesting to see how the Xbox's value holds up against a new line of properly priced graphics cards. If the 1150Ti launches close to the 1050Ti launch price of $140 and offers 1060-like performance then it will make budget gaming builds extremely affordable and very competitive to the Xbox One X in both price and performance.

For example, let's take this entry-level gaming build from PCpartpicker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/T3Xscf/entry-level-amd-gaming-build

This costs $575 dollars, $75 dollars more than the Xbox One X. It has a more powerful CPU and a bigger hard drive, however its GPU is priced at $190 and it's much weaker than the console's GPU. Now, imagine if you could replace that GPU with an $150 graphics card that would offer 1060-like performance. You'd have a system that would offer the same GPU performance as the console, better CPU performance and a bigger hard drive for just $30 more than the console's official price. That would be pretty damn competitive.

Of course that's just speculation and guesswork, we don't know how the situation with GPU and RAM prices will develop or even if the new cards will offer substantial performance increases. In the here and now, matching the Xbox One X's GPU horsepower is prohibitively expensive for most people.

"However, this situation isn't going to last forever"

"however its GPU is priced at $190 and it's much weaker than the console's GPU. Now, imagine if you could replace that GPU with an $150 graphics card that would offer 1060-like performance."

The second quote is a dreamworld. "Imagine if you could get a 1060 for $150 and put it in there instead of the extremely weaker $190 GPU that's in it currently."

Why bring up hypotheticals like that? Imagine if Microsoft lowered the price of the X by $150! The fact is that GPU and RAM prices have been in another galaxy for quite a while now and there's absolutely no sign of things changing any time soon. The cost of a 1060 at Newegg, a cheaper one, is $450, almost the entire cost of the X. That's the bottom line. No sign of improvement for now.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have actual facts to back that up ?

Check any comparisons. The 3GB is simply not enough to store the ultra res assets in Gears 4. There's pics showing the 6gb vs 3gb where the 3gb card had low res textures compared to the 6gb card

I got this a lot with my 780, which is a 3GB card, in Gears 4

AQOiMQv_d.jpg

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
No, because you generally can't even find founders cards in stock and if you do they are way over MSRP. Unless that's changed.

Edit: yeah, holy shit 1070s are going for near $1000 on eBay and Amazon. I should maybe sell my cards.

Holy fuck would someone actually buy my evga 1070 hybrid for like $1200?

This has me so tempted over the weekend to sell my 1080 Ti, considering that a 1070 is going for $1200. I just worry about these clowns on ebay pulling a SNAD case after mining or use the paypal 6 months return policy to return the card after its been abused. I do a lot of business on ebay too, but this is one I don't want coming back to bite me in the ass.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Right, that's one game (even though you didn't provide any comparisons or fact to back your point) against a lot more running at 4k on that cards, which I shown you already. Like for exemple, The Witcher 3 is actually native 4k on the 1060 3GB as opposed to dynamic res on Xbox One X. What conclusion should I draw regarding this, if I follow your logic ?

No it's not. The MSRP isn't 450 dollars. Inflated price is the same as discounted price: These are not how these GPU are positionned in fact. Or let's say my 500 dollars GTX 1080ti is supposed to be 50 dollars more expensive than the 1060 despite being more than twice faster.

I don't have time to look for videos/benchmarks. You can easily do that. Again if you think 3gb is enough to store ultra res assets these games have then you are in for a shock

I got this a lot with my 780, which is a 3GB card, in Gears 4

AQOiMQv_d.jpg

Yup it's been known cards with 3gb struggle with high res assets and running in high res due to very low vram amount

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What is your point here? It doesn't matter what the Nvidia MSRP is. What matters is how much it costs to buy and GPU prices have been crazy for a long time now, with no improvement in sight.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What is your point here? It doesn't matter what the Nvidia MSRP is. What matters is how much it costs to buy and GPU prices have been crazy for a long time now, with no improvement in sight.

My point is it's an exceptional situation in one part of the world. Your 450 dollars GTX 1060 6GB sold by a scalper isn't setting a price for the very same reason my 500 dollars GTX 1080 ti 11GB sold by an online store during sales isn't setting a price. No, GTX 1060 isn't a 450 or even a 600 dollars GPU as claimed by some people. And no, GTX 1080ti isn't a 500 or even 450 dollars GPU.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My point is it's an exceptional situation in one part of the world. Your 450 dollars GTX 1060 6GB sold by a scalper isn't setting a price for the very same reason my 500 dollars GTX 1080 ti 11GB sold by an online store during sales isn't setting a price. No, GTX 1060 isn't a 450 or even a 600 dollars GPU as claimed by some people. And no, GTX 1080ti isn't a 500 or even 450 dollars GPU.
Your point is irrelevant, though. And it's not an "exceptional situation in one part of the world." MSRP doesn't matter. Newegg and everyone else is selling them for $425-450 cheapest. It makes no difference if the price is gouged or not -- all that matters is how much it costs to buy. This "exceptional situation" has been going on for a long time now and will continue to do so.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has me so tempted over the weekend to sell my 1080 Ti, considering that a 1070 is going for $1200. I just worry about these clowns on ebay pulling a SNAD case after mining or use the paypal 6 months return policy to return the card after its been abused. I do a lot of business on ebay too, but this is one I don't want coming back to bite me in the ass.

If I sold on Amazon is a return after 30 days not allowed? As far as I know. That's where I'd sell them anyway.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

This is newegg, not some scalper on ebay

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Your point is irrelevant, though. And it's not an "exceptional situation in one part of the world." MSRP doesn't matter. Newegg and everyone else is selling them for $425-450 cheapest. It makes no difference if the price is gouged or not -- all that matters is how much it costs to buy. This "exceptional situation" has been going on for a long time now and will continue to do so.

Yes it is. Since it's mainly a USA thing.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
A video comparing a GTX 1060-powered PC and an Xbox One X in six different games: Gears of War 4, Hitman, Forza Motorsport 7, Fortnite, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3.

https://youtu.be/dGa_7Ds13Ls

In four of the games there is a slight edge for the PC while the other two are a tie. The two platforms seem more or less evenly matched.
Nice videos, but not really scientifically measured, right?
For forza, he makes conclusion about in game motion blur when game does the initial external camera fly-by. thats 30fps part and he didn't even notice.
then again, running the same game at a differennt resolution/settings and calling a winner... how does this go? :))

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
You mean a 1060 with i7 7700 and 16 gigs of ddr4 right?

I can't watch the video at work :(

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
The X is not really a budget PC, because it has a very weak CPU. Most games are going to run capped at 30fps. If it had a decent CPU for 500 euros it would truly be a great value budget PC.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
No to that first part or? The CPU on the Xbox One X would definitely limit the potential framerate. Not sure if that's what you're talking about though?

The rumour that the XoX would match a 1070 came from the ARK developer right? It was never going to be true. The 1070 is an insanely good card and the idea of it being half way to 1080, like a 1070 Ti for example, would be ludicrous. I doubt it's the CPU stopping the XOX from reaching that sort of GPU power.

OP
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The second quote is a dreamworld. "Imagine if you could get a 1060 for $150 and put it in there instead of the extremely weaker $190 GPU that's in it currently."

You are mistaken. The 1050 ti followed the 960 and offered a bit better performance at a cheaper price. The 1060 offered performance that was a bit better than a 970 at a lower price. The next generation of a graphics architecture often offers the performance of last year's higher-tier GPU at a lower price. Do some research and you'll see for yourself.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

You realize that most of these are mini ITX models (aka undesirable)
Do you think that's a good selection to choose from lol

At least one of your links is also sold out again

You can buy ... eh.. a model. Not the one you want, but there's... something available, although sometimes 10% more expensive than what you said. I can give you that.
Do you really think that this state of the market even in France warrants saying that it's "only a USA thing"?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Yea I would avoid that single fan 1060. I looked up some reviews for it a month ago when I saw the card on slickdeals and they were not kind.

Happy with the 580 I got for a little more.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
A GTX 1060 didn't impress me when it first came out, but this video made me have some respect for it. So the Xbox One X is closer to the 1060, as the PS4 pro is closer the to GTX 970, huh!

A decently overclocked 970 is on par with a 6GB 1060 or even slightly faster depending on how well the 1060 can overclock, at 2GHz it pulls ahead of a 970 at 1500MHz, the thing holding it back most though is the 970's VRAM.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel so silly. I bought a 1060, played like 2 games on it, now I'm back to PS4 Pro

But it's nice to know I can compete with the X1X in some scenarios

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Very pleased so far that I went with the X vs upgrading my gaming computer. The cost differential is huge. I would have needed a new 1060 ($650 $700 here) plus a new 4k monitor. That wouldn't have included several things that the X1 has like its cooling features and 4k blu ray player. It's a beast and pretty good value. Makes up for the disaster known as the Xbox One.

I'll probably switch back to PC in a couple years depending on where GPU prices are.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Do you have actual facts to back that up ?

Here you go :)

https://www.techspot.com/review/1263-gears-of-war-4-benchmarks/

Ultra Doesn't Always Mean Ultra
Something I noticed when testing many GPUs was the difference in image quality, despite the settings remaining the same. Forcing the settings to ultra, there were still distinct differences between the 3GB and 6GB versions of Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1060 for example.

The character resolution seemed lower at times on the 3GB model. It was almost like a different anti-aliasing method was being used. The characters would appear blurrier and feature lower textures. The environments would often feature lower quality textures as well, less lighting and lower quality shadows.

There's even screen shot comparisons showing the 3GB cards running at lower textures and graphical effects not matter if you lock to ultra settings. The vram is simply not enough to store the data. But it is good for running base console settings at 1080p60fps though

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Here you go :)

https://www.techspot.com/review/1263-gears-of-war-4-benchmarks/

Ultra Doesn't Always Mean Ultra
Something I noticed when testing many GPUs was the difference in image quality, despite the settings remaining the same. Forcing the settings to ultra, there were still distinct differences between the 3GB and 6GB versions of Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1060 for example.

The character resolution seemed lower at times on the 3GB model. It was almost like a different anti-aliasing method was being used. The characters would appear blurrier and feature lower textures. The environments would often feature lower quality textures as well, less lighting and lower quality shadows.

There's even screen shot comparisons showing the 3GB cards running at lower textures and graphical effects not matter if you lock to ultra settings. The vram is simply not enough to store the data. But it is good for running base console settings at 1080p60fps though

Point made for Gears 4 but I was talking in general. You claimed that it cant run games at 4k or use ultra textures like X does... Except I proven you with the Witcher 3 the opposite.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Point made for Gears 4 but I was talking in general. You claimed that it cant run games at 4k or use ultra textures like X does... Except I proven you with the Witcher 3 the opposite.

Doubt at X settings though as I see alot of texture pop in and low shadow draw in which is due to the low amount of vram. No matter if you set a setting for graphics the 3gb cards can only render what the ram can hold. Any game that utilizes higher res assets won't go well on a 3gb card. Don't know what you're trying to prove. As many comparisons and review state that when comparing to a 6gb card which runs inline with the X

And from the same guy who made the video ACO in 4k on the 3GB card runs basically at med settings with reflections turned off etc at about 25fps. Not comparable to the X at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cti31Nw1_HQ

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt at X settings though as I see alot of texture pop in and low shadow draw in which is due to the low amount of vram. No matter if you set a setting for graphics the 3gb cards can only render what the ram can hold. Any game that utilizes higher res assets won't go well on a 3gb card. Don't know what you're trying to prove. As many comparisons and review state that when comparing to a 6gb card which runs inline with the X

And from the same guy who made the video ACO in 4k on the 3GB card runs basically at med settings with reflections turned off etc at about 25fps. Not comparable to the X at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cti31Nw1_HQ

It actually has higher settings for drawing distances and at least, it is native 4k as opposed to XB1X.
Which goes against your original point.
At about 25 fps ? It does indeed drop around that when they switch to the eagle... and gets back to 30s when back to the main character. At native 4k, as opposed to XB1X.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
It actually has higher settings for drawing distances and at least, it is native 4k as opposed to XB1X.
Which goes against your original point.
At about 25 fps ? It does indeed drop around that when they switch to the eagle... and gets back to 30s when back to the main character. At native 4k, as opposed to XB1X.

Again not anywhere near X settings being set to the highest. Plus the textures are a huge hit compared to the X or any gpu running with more vram. My point stands 3gb cards do not have the ability to run games with high res assets