• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure you know what a choice is. I'm not sure you get the point of the scene period.

I mean...

His arc isn't as cohesive as it sets out to be and it gets muddled along the way but ultimately it's about choosing the family he found in Yondu and the Guardians over himself, Ego and his birthright as a celestial.

Peter finds out he's the same as Ego by birth but chooses his newfound family over him.

You mean Peter realizing what path this leads down to makes him choose differently? Who would have thought.

You're the one who brought up the whole choice thing and keeps bringing it up. You're saying that he chose his found family once he saw where everything led, and I'm saying that he actively had that choice taken away from him with the revelation that Ego killed his mother. To say that there was any sort of choice between the Guardians and continuing on with Ego after that point is completely antithetical to the already established character.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I didn't care for any of the characters that died in TFA nor RO. Both were also extremely boring. I don't want SW to be like GotG. I would love to have it be more exciting to help me understand why people still love SW though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're the one who brought up the whole choice thing and keeps bringing it up. You're saying that he chose his found family once he saw where everything led, and I'm saying that he actively had that choice taken away from him with the revelation that Ego killed his mother. To say that there was any sort of choice between the Guardians and continuing on with Ego after that point is completely antithetical to the already established character.

Selectively quoting me doesn't really help your case here when I already wrote that up to that point, Peter finds out that he's supposed to be the same as Ego. He's immortal, he's more powerful than any mortal, he's literally eating out of Ego's hand about being destined for more and being "deprived of the pleasures of mortals". Ego tells him how he has to readjust to life, how they are forever while mortals are only temporary. The Peter at this point of the film isn't the same as the one at the beginning of the film.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Even the Prequels are better than GOTG
tenor.gif

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Selectively quoting me doesn't really help your case here when I already wrote that up to that point, Peter finds out that he's supposed to be the same as Ego. He's immortal, he's more powerful than any mortal, he's literally eating out of Ego's hand about being destined for more and being "deprived of the pleasures of mortals". Ego tells him how he has to readjust to life, how they are forever while mortals are only temporary. The Peter at this point of the film isn't the same as the one at the beginning of the film.
The only difference is that he's got someone feeding into his daddy issues. He isn't entranced by promises of power and immortality. He's eating out of Ego's hand because he finally has the love of this father figure that he's been pining for and building up in his head since he was a little kid, which gets shattered once he finds out that Ego killed his mom and that he's basically just using him.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only difference is that he's got someone feeding into his daddy issues. He isn't entranced by promises of power and immortality. He's eating out of Ego's hand because he finally has the love of this father figure that he's been pining for and building up in his head since he was a little kid, which gets shattered once he finds out that Ego killed his mom and that he's basically just using him.

Literally minutes before the reveal Peter boasts about what he's going to do with his powers, regardless of how long it takes to master them. The following discussion between them is all about Ego helping Peter to adjust his viewpoint to that of an immortal and literally makes him see. The last words between Ego and Peter are "If you kill me you'll be just like everyone else" and "What's so wrong with that." Whether it's just "fueling his daddy issues" is irrelevant. Ego as a father figure as well as the power and immortality he represents are narratively interchangeable.

Anyway, I grow tired of this discussion. You're intentionally ignoring textual and visual evidence so it fits your line of argumentation. This is pointless.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Gunn has a problem with going too over the top with his sequels. Like, he has a successful first film with restraint, charm, and chemistry... and then throws it out the window with a loud, over the top second. Like Scooby-Doo compared to Monsters Unleashed.

As soon as the opening credits played in GotG2 with baby Groot dancing, I knew where it was going. Not to say I hated it, but I would be pissed if TLJ went that route of more cgi spectacle than substance, pointless cameos, poor jokes, and a cantina scene featuring Rubin Studdard.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Agreed with the OP. In fact, I firmly believe that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the Star Wars of our generation, and it's just bound to get bigger and bigger. As long as a new Kevin Feige rises when it's his time to leave, we are fine.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
While GotG1 was good, and funny, i hated part II with passion. Stupid story, not funny jokes, fake laughs all the time, Groot annoying as hell (we get it, you want to sell Groot merch). GotG1 was one of the best, and GotG2 one of the worst movies i have seen in couple of years.

See, this isn't the kind of reaction that is just purpostourous. If anything, leading up to the movie I was worried they would overkill baby groot but they didn't. Every character had a time to shine, some of the jokes were hit and miss, sure but even then it was still funnier than most comedy movies are these days.

One of the worst movies you've seen in years? I mean come on, you must see like two movies a year

Unguided

Oct 28, 2017
A silly comedy? Thank god you're not in charge.
Either that or safe and formulaic.

The Zune joke at the end of GotG2 was the perfect example, they wanted to do the same thing they did at the end of the first but fumbled on the significance. In the original, it was a mixtape Starlord's mother made with songs that felt significant to her. The Zune was just some garbage tech the pirate picked up at a pawn shop and regifted.

And don't get me started on what they did with Ego. They took one of the most alien entities in the Marvel universe and tried to humanize him to make the conflict seem more relatable, when the whole point of something like Ego is he's an unknown type of creature on a completely different scale than how we usually perceive life.

Last edited:

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at the gotg vol 2 hatred. I greatly enjoyed the film and thought it was better than the first (which I enjoyed as well). Ending really stuck with me too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I get you OP. You wish the recent Star Wars movies felt as fresh as GotG and as the original trilogy.

Personally I don't think GotG is all that great, but I do wish Star Wars was more than retreading the same old shit.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
People shitting on GOTG in favor of Stars Wars makes me question on what they see in Star Wars that makes it great.

Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the first trilogy, but there's literally nothing deep about the series. The films are as basic in thematic meaning as they can get.Tbh 7 is the worst offender on how generic the film structure is and it literally has no heart at all. I honestly feel like the only reason it got to it's height was due to the Star Wars brand. The new Star Trek films have been far better than it and felt fresh.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
GotG is better than any post Empire Star wars Film, but that says more about how shit the franchise has been in a long time

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
See, this isn't the kind of reaction that is just purpostourous. If anything, leading up to the movie I was worried they would overkill baby groot but they didn't. Every character had a time to shine, some of the jokes were hit and miss, sure but even then it was still funnier than most comedy movies are these days.

One of the worst movies you've seen in years? I mean come on, you must see like two movies a year

They didn't overkill Groot? Even before the move was in the cinema, i was so sick of Babygroot, just alone his picture made want to throw up, to be honest. And the movie would be so much better without him in it. Cause he had no real reason to be in it, except to be soooo cute all the time.

I watched all the super hero movies and some others, like 3-5 movies a year.

- Jokes weren't funny to me at all, mostly cause i heard the most of them already in Part I
- Groot...
- Drax got so annoying. I liked his uncontrollably laugh in Part I, but why did they had to double on everything? He went from funny, to annoying really fast. Everything about him just felt forced.
- Star Lord found his daddy, twice. Egon and Yondu, and he was ready to leave everyone behind to be with his daddy Egon. How old is he? 35? 40? Why is he reacting like a 16-year old girl?
- Egon. What was his deal? He wanted to spread over the whole galaxy to do what exactly?
- All the torment and threats to eat Quill from Yondu was just to protect him? Oh, he is such a lovely father...
- Nebula wanted all this time just a sister, they hug it out and everything is forgiven... no build up, nothing. It just felt "whatever".
- Infinity Stone is forgotten? No build up to Infinity Wars? Okay, we know that Peter can hold it, and that's it.
- Mixtape was not good

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think GotG is what Star Wars should have become but add me to the list of people that think the two movies are better than anything post original trilogy. I'm looking forward to TLJ but some people gave TFA way too big a pass.

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017
I've only ever watched the first Guardians of the Galaxy film (twice) and it honestly boggles my mind how people can find it anything more than a well-produced, mediocre popcorn flick. Most of the humor in the movie ranges from cringe-worthy to easy and basic quips and overused, static beats that they throw in your face over and over again. Drax's whole character is based around his inability to think figuratively... that's funny I guess? Rocket Racoon is sassy and a drunk. Starlord is irreverent. Groot says "I am Groot" a lot.

Any attempt at depth for these characters is constantly undercut by the film's need to find humor in every single situation to the degree that makes it extremely difficult to actually become invested in any of the arcs of the characters, or the story and its reverberating effects. This is a fundamental issue I have with most of the MCU films is that they want to have it all tonally. The film wants me to give a shit that a ship is going to crash and kill a massive amount of people, while constantly undercutting any tension or stakes with witty one-liners. This isn't impossible, but it's an incredibly delicate balancing act that is rarely pulled off. Say what you want about Episode VII ( I enjoy it greatly but acknowledge its faults), it at least effectively invests you in its primary characters. It has a plot that has a sense of urgency and that drives the main characters and invests us in their journey. It also could classify as a comedy, but it doesn't throw every dramatic scene to the wolves for the sake of a laugh.

And I really fail to see the world building that exists in the first Guardians. Literally all of the main characters meet in a prison, which sloppily mashes them together with loose motivational justification. And Groot literally just exists...? I don't remember any real explanation as to his existence, and if it did, it certainly didn't help me understand the "world" of GotG. All of the characters are half-winks to the audience and the 4th wall, which makes it really hard to acknowledge the "world" as anything more than a shiny veneer with no real lore and depth. I'm sure that stuff exists, but the film doesn't really care whether or not you're invested. I think that's why I enjoyed Thor Ragnarok as much as I did. It didn't give a fuck about you caring it was just a fun roller coaster ride with neat visuals, music, and fun characters.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If GOTG got a sequel 30 years out, I guarantee they'd also heavily lean on the "the tried and true" and nostalgia. They'd have to thoroughly reestablish the GOTG identity before moving into new territory.

Oct 29, 2017
GotG would be great it if actually had stakes.

In Star Wars, they are fighting to overthrow the empire. In GotG, they fight in order to continue being asshole theives.

Oct 29, 2017
GotG > TFA

GotG is probably one of the better marvel movies of the lot.
It had heart and strong emotional beats (strong mentions to Groot Sacrifice, NovaCorp Blockade and When all the guardians hold hands. I REALLY FREAKIN enjoyed it when it first came out. And for the first time it had decent color grading and none of the sets look like was made outta cheap plastic for one of Marvel's TV shows lool.

TFA although a crowd pleasing and really pleasant to sit through lacked scope and originality.
I MEAN C'MON, WHAT IS THE POINT OF JAKUUU, it literally is the same planet as Tatooine and serves the same purpose!!!!
Why couldn't they take the world building that was done in the prequel so we can connect it to the wider universe instead of making all this new stuff that really isnt new.
And the planet death star blew up all these major planets for the republic? What are these planets? I almost thought they blew up Coruscant lmaoo but thank god they didnt. They're just random planets the filmakers made outta their asses to serve as plot devices.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Take out the jokes and the first GotG is Star Wars. I don't know what that mess garbage the second one was.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I dunno, I feel like the franchises are way too different. GotG is way more of a comedy and everything feels disposable to me, like everything in the background is manufactured just for a joke or story beat. Star Wars feels like a real, contiguous universe. I like the first Guardians quite a bit, watched Vol. 2 last night and didn't really care for it, though Linday Ellis' video (posted above) gave me a little more appreciation for the characterization.
Though I've been a Star Wars fan for probably 20 years so I have a lot of inherent bias towards that franchise. I generally like the MCU but usually just watch the films once and forget about them.

Any attempt at depth for these characters is constantly undercut by the film's need to find humor in every single situation to the degree that makes it extremely difficult to actually become invested in any of the arcs of the characters, or the story and its reverberating effects. This is a fundamental issue I have with most of the MCU films is that they want to have it all tonally. The film wants me to give a shit that a ship is going to crash and kill a massive amount of people, while constantly undercutting any tension or stakes with witty one-liners.

My friend brought up this point last night and I think it's right on the money. There's no tension, and I never feel like the characters are in any danger. Plenty of movies have plot armor, sure, but at least the characters act like they're in a serious situation.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Guardians of the Galaxy films and I like The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

You're arguing that you wished TFA did more of what GotG did, but they are in completely different situations. TFA was trying to continue a franchise and story that has been around for (now) 40 years. GotG was trying to establish a world that less than 5% of the people who saw it had ever heard of or read before. I think both did their job extremely well.

I will argue that you have to be willfully ignoring Rey's journey to say there is no adventure in TFA. She goes from scavenger to caught up with Finn and Solo to journeying to Maz's Hideout to the Starkiller Base to besting an injured Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel. That's some major adventuring going on.

You also say the Force fizzles but Kylo Ren is awesome at the start and Rey develops her Force abilities throughout the film so I don't get what you're on about there. Sure, she beats Kylo when she "shouldn't have" but the dude got a Chewie blaster in the gut. He should have been down for the count.

So I disagree with your premise greatly while still enjoying both franchises. I don't want one to be the other. I want them to do their own thing.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Zune joke at the end of GotG2 was the perfect example, they wanted to do the same thing they did at the end of the first but fumbled on the significance. In the original, it was a mixtape Starlord's mother made with songs that felt significant to her. The Zune was just some garbage tech the pirate picked up at a pawn shop and regifted.

The Zune was something that Yondu wanted to give Peter, and it's a cheeky callback to when Rocket asked Kraglin and Yondu if they had "any of Peter's old music" on the ship, with the Zune obviously being what hosted that music. In the first movie he got a mixtape that symbolized him finally having the strength to confront his mom's death and the only final memento of her he'd ever get, while accepting the Zune symbolized the acknowledgment of his father figure and forgiving Yondu for not being being the greatest dad, since in the end he was still a cool dad that always looked out for him. You can't claim the latter is more garbate tech than a dinky mixtape because they both gain sentimental value from the character. By that same token you can say "oh the awesome mix tape is just a tape that his mom bought at some shop who cares".

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree at all. I've come more around to Guardians, but what I will do have wanted out of Star Wars was more like Black Mirror. Something dark, twisted, and a tone that horrifies. That's fun!

Right now it's kind of okay, I liked TFA, but I'm still not invested in the Star Wars universe. Wish it was MUCH darker.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh God I'm so glad they didn't go that way. Gotg is so boring

I grew up with starwars as well, and the jokes and comic relief were never really the point for me. It was the scale of the story and all of the drama.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I grow tired of this discussion. You're intentionally ignoring textual and visual evidence so it fits your line of argumentation. This is pointless.
Yeah, I'm the one ignoring textual and visual evidence despite the fact that there is literally a scene of Peter and Ego throwing a ball back and forth outside, and a scene of Peter getting upset with Gamora when she brings up concerns about Ego because he thinks it's about her wanting to take away his father. The scene you described is literally just him trying to justify the actions of a father that he wanted so badly.