• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Full of jokes, pop culture references, 70's-80's tunes, and the inability to commit to any emotional drama?

And, I say this as someone that likes GOTG.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I like GOTG but I don't really want Star Wars to go the same direction. Neither franchise is entirely serious or entirely comedic, but the balance in GOTG leans considerably further towards comedy and silliness than the original Star Wars trilogy did. A lot of the stuff with Ego was pretty heavy...

...like him killing Peter's mother and so many of his children, but then on the other hand he briefly turns into David Hasselhoff just before their final battle...

...which was a moment I enjoyed, silliness and all, but it's not the sort of thing I'm looking for in SW. Not mainline SW anyway; I'd be open to seeing an anthology film with a lighter tone. Rogue One had a pretty different tone from the main movies as well, but something going in the opposite direction could be fun. Lord and Miller being fired from the Han Solo movie seems to indicate that's probably not what Lucasfilm wants to do though, which I think is a missed opportunity.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars can hit a lot of genres.

I can't say comedy is one I ever wanted to see them approach.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotg undercuts the drama with jokes not because the characters relie on humor to cope with their personal struggles but because the movies don't want to commit to anything too serious. This undercutting lowers the quality no matter the subject.

can't agree. I mean the movies are not obviously serious, but they do some heavy things you just wouldn't expect from a comedy.

#1 opens with a boy watching his mother die of cancer in a hospital bed

#2 ends with Rocket crying at the funeral of the only man who said he understands him

etc

I find this "undercut" criticism vague and unconvincing

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy, that rip-roaring outrageous comedy about how being abused by parental figures as a child creates lifelong trauma that you'll spend your entire adulthood trying to escape from

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
People are focusing too much on the comedy aspect which is not something I brought up in the OP.

Fun space adventures is what I want to see with outrageous creatures like in the OG trilogy, not politics.

ANH, ESB, and ROTJ all are inherently political. Such is the nature of a...rebellion. Now, the boring delivery that Lucas brought in the Prequels? Sure. But then Rogue One built quite well upon OT material. The Force Awakens suffered from not letting the material breath the way the OT did.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I love Batista but a character like Drax wouldn't survive in Star Wars. In fact none of the characters would. Maybe Gamora.

GotG Character: *insert meme joke* *is strangled to death by random Force user*

Peter Quill: *plays 80s Earth music* *is strangled to death while everyone sits back to John Williams's dramatic, original, Oscar-winning score*

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
The biggest thing working against Solo's death is Ford's desire to be killed off in Jedi already.

I still think they pulled it off, and Kylo is an important part.

But I went in expecting Luke to bite it, so I guess that helped in my case. Motherfucker barely showed up.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars can hit a lot of genres.

I can't say comedy is one I ever wanted to see them approach.
eaf1219a8e355b17b0746bec0fafee710d0ea360_hq.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I love both GotG but I don't feel like being the new Star Wars, neither what I want for the latter. GoTG is more humor based.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Guardians works because it's from a world where Star Wars existed. It can do it's own thing without relying on the heavy lifting that Star Wars did to make "sci-fi fantasy" mainstream. Rocket wouldn't work without Chewbacca having been a thing, etc.

Would I rather watch the Guardians movies over Episode VII and Rogue One? Absolutely. Nothing in the entire Star Wars saga has the emotional weight of Yondu's sacrifice, except maybe the Throne Room battle at the end of RotJ. But I don't think Star Wars would work with more personal stakes as it's currently set up (Rogue One is a good case for this because really who gives a fuck about Jyn's dad?). I hope that Episode VIII starts to change this with the Luke stuff.

At the same time, the epic nature of Star Wars is hurting it as well. The annualized nature of those movies now also makes them feel less epic and frankly the spin-off movies could use some more character-centric, on the fringes type stories instead of galaxy spanning battles of good vs. evil.

Really I'm just glad they both exist and can more or less do their own things.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The GotG are what the Green Lantern movies should have been, but not what Star Wars should be. It's completely the wrong tone and too dirty comedy for Star Wars.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record - I don't agree. There are similarities but have different aims.
At the end of the day the only things SW should take from GoTG are likable characters and a sense of adventure. Shit that makes you feel like you're witnessing something new and want to find out more about it.
Even the prequels had that.
There's none of that in TFA.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the baby CGI tree dance to a 70's pop hit for 5 straight minutes I was like "This shit is up there with Schindler's List."

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For the record - I don't agree. There are similarities but have different aims.
At the end of the day the only things SW should take from GoTG are likable characters and a sense of adventure. Shit that makes you feel like you're witnessing something new and want to find out more about it.
Even the prequels had that.
There's none of that in TFA.

The prequels had likable characters?

Gotta call bullshit on that one.

Who the hell actually believes that Young Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme are more likable than Finn, Poe, and Rey?

Oct 28, 2017
I cared more about Yondu dying in GoTG2 than Han Solo in TFA.
TFA is such a dull movie that would have been buried and forgotten by now if not for the Star Wars name. Same with Rogue One.
Even the Star Trek reboot was better and I don't even like ST.

I actually totally agree with you that Yondu's death had more impact and that's because Gunn's script did a much better job of setting up their history and paying it off. Star Trek 09 was definitely a better movie than TFA as well.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both Guardians are much better than the new star war stuff and I say that who hates most comic book movies. I felt nothing in regards to the death of han solo, it was done in such a lame way

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't think they're that comparable either, but I will say this much: the first GotG was the most fun space adventure I'd watched in ages. I truly liked some of the MCU movies before, but Guardians was the first one to strike a nerve and hit home completely. I loved everything about it and it's still by far my favorite MCU offering. It's not just a great MCU movie, it's a great movie full stop. GotG vol 2 didn't have that same magic for me, but it did come close by how it handled Yondu, making him the most interesting character of the entire film.

James Gunn turned out to be really good at this.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
can't agree. I mean the movies are not obviously serious, but they do some heavy things you just wouldn't expect from a comedy.

#1 opens with a boy watching his mother die of cancer in a hospital bed

#2 ends with Rocket crying at the funeral of the only man who said he understands him

etc

I find this "undercut" criticism vague and unconvincing
it is because some av club article probably said it, so now everyone repeats it to look like a film critic

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yeah, I definitely don't agree. I enjoyed both GotG movies a lot and TFA did leave a lot to be desired, but they're both miles apart. About the only similarities between the two is that they're both space operas. Beyond that...

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even blame Harrison Ford either. He did as well as could be done with what he was given.
The film is just so empty of any kind of humanity.

I totally disagree. Harrison Ford has mailed in the Han Solo character since after ESB. He was pretty bad in ROTJ and even worse in TFA.

A good chunk of the blame is on Harrison Ford and his acting, or not really his acting, but that he let the fact he obviously didn't care about doing this anymore show through his acting.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ewan McGregor does not shine at all the prequels lmao, he's as boring as everyone until he gets to emote a bit at the end of 3

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and I may have agreed with the OP if it wasn't for GotG which was pretty awful. Went too far slapstick half the time.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ewan McGregor. The guy shines through all 3 movies as Obiwan. There is no one like that in TFA from neither the old or new cast of characters.

LoL! The only reason he "shines" is because Ewan is a good actor, and Obi-Wan was an amazing character from the OT. If all you had to go on was the PT version of Obi-Wan, you'd think he was just as flat as the other characters.

It's the same reason Palpatine stands out in the PT: Because the PT characters are terrible.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Yondu's death hit harder than Han's because Yondu was a better dad.

People are focusing too much on the comedy aspect which is not something I brought up in the OP.

Fun space adventures is what I want to see with outrageous creatures like in the OG trilogy, not politics.
There are no politics in TFA or Rogue One. Literally none.

This thread is really fascinating because people were criticizing TFA for being too much like a Marvel movie back when it came out.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
When all the other leads are reading their scripts and doing ADR as if they're half asleep, ofc you're gonna shine through if you emote even slightly put more emotion in. The prequel characters were not likeable compared at all compared to the cast of TFA. Just the boost in script quality AND acting quality makes it no contest.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop overselling these Marvel flicks people

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Yondu's death hit harder than Han's because Yondu was a better dad.

There are no politics in TFA or Rogue One. Literally none.
This isn't true at all. Rogue one depicted the rebellion to be a lot darker in it's methods than initially believed, and there was definitely some political commentary around the use of the death star.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nothing comes close to Star Wars for me. Even though guardians are in my top ten of all time. There's something more special about Star Wars to me that guardians doesn't pull of as well. It's probably just the fact that I see guardians more of a comedy then anything else.(which isn't a bad thing ). What they both do right is characters.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Yondu's death hitting harder than Solo. That's probably because it wasn't so obviously set up.

As far as wishing new Star Wars had been more like GOTG, I disagree. I say that as someone that liked GOTG more than TFA and Rogue One.