• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
wow

Not even Yoshida is safe. That new position sounds like a demotion.

In scale, yes, but it's possible it's something he's interested in doing. He's been head of WWS for a long time and he certainly doesn't want for money or accomplishments; this is exactly when a lot of people (Boyes, House, Trenton, etc.) move on to something smaller that they might enjoy more, or just for the sake of change. In Shu's case, he's doing that while still within the company.

But, I mean, you're right — it could be a thinly veiled demotion. I'm worried about the possibility too. This is more typical in Japan as big companies traditionally hire "for life" so instead of firing someone, a company may just demote them and encourage them to quit. Remember Konami separating Kojima from his team by a floor or something?

I don't think that's what's happening here by any means! Just that it's the image I think of in this situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is crazy. So I wonder if Shawn Layden was fired and the intention was always to replace him with Hulst. I'm not surprised to see him get a big promotion though, as he always seemed really on top of things and he's really interesting to listen to when he speaks. Shame about Shu though. He's been a great face for Playstation this past generation and I hope this 'demotion' is something he wants as opposed to being forced on him as a consolation.

Wow that´s some one hell of promotion. Not long ago Guerrilla was only known for the Killzone stuff and should´ve disappear in the sunken like every mediocre 1st party studio. Crazy how they raised constantly to this fame the last few years.

Congratz to Hermen

Honestly, Guerrilla Games' story might be the most impressive rise of a developer in the whole industry. They've gone from two ugly mediocre games (Shellshock and Killzone 1) to being a graphics powerhouse and then making a massively successful new IP powered by incredible technology which has placed them among Sony's best and most respected development studios. Their rise and rise is really fascinating.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how long will love for Indies last this time. It lasted for like 2 years after PS4 launched.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killzone's future is secured!

Anyway, fantastic news, Hermen seems like a great fellow, and likely on of the key parties responsible for convincing Kojima to use the Decima engine, which would indicate he's got Knack for negotiating.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshida's new job sounds like it's to let him start winding down his active role before retiring, but want to get the PS5 launch out of the way.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Holy shit.

I came here to see what's up after Shu just posted a " :D " and this is not what I expected. Herman is great so I can't fault that choice at all — I just hope this new focus is what Shu actually wants. He's fostered so many incredible games and massive hits and has a spirit I don't want to see absent in Sony any time soon.

Following Shuhei Yoshida twitter Account he was very interested by indie dev and indie Japanese devs probably a good news.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sound like a massive demotion tbh, like they gave him a token leadership job instead of kicking him out.

If you follow Yoshida on Twitter you know how passionate he is about indie games. It's not only a big deal for him, but it shows how seriously Sony's taking indie's going forward. Yoshida also seems to be really well liked among indie devs.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Which means he could host next E3, PSX, etc.

I love Hulst's accent when speaking in English though.

It sounded sexy. : )

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Fantastic news for Hermen.

Also for Shu, I'm thinking it'll be great for him for a few years and then he'll probably hand this off to a successor and retire.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Go see Hulst interview with Druckmann, he is a really intelligent guy.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is a pretty smart move, good for all parties involved, including devs and players.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Pretty shitty posts on Yoshidas supposed ''demotion''. He was in a joint position with Layden before, has said he would have probably retired ages ago if it wasn't for VR, and now he has a role he obviously really likes doing if you follow his twitter etc. Great position for Shu, who also wants to be in Japan , so I'm sure he doesn't really want to be globetrotting 24/7.

But oh no, its a massive demotion!!

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Quick, let's start asking for Bloodbone 2 on Hermen twitter account.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Seems a really good fit, especially to share technology, something evident from recent collaboration with Kojima.
Also Shu going after Indies seems really spot on, he is a very likeable guy, less 'corporate guy' so is probably the profile needed with small developers.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
PS5 exclusive lineup to consist of Horizon 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and Horizon VR1 and VR2.

I believed so initially, but apparently not:
I'm not understanding. Does the person you quoted have inside info or something? Or just guessing and cosigning what took place like the rest of us because we honestly have no say in the matter.