• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not understanding. Does the person you quoted have inside info or something? Or just guessing and cosigning what took place like the rest of us because we honestly have no say in the matter.

It's in the press release.

This is the press release:

Sony Interactive Entertainment Names Hermen Hulst Head of Worldwide Studios

SAN MATEO, Calif., November 7, 2019 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), the company responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products, has today announced the promotion of Guerrilla’s Hermen Hulst to Head of Worldwide Studios (WWS) effective immediately. In this role, Hulst will...

Shuhei's role is specifically about indie developers, and will report directly to Ryan.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I didn't follow up on the story after the initial news, but do have some more details now about what went down with Shawn Laydens departure?

Dec 8, 2018
Congratulations to Hermen love his enthusiasm every time he talks and seems like an obvious fit for the role. Hopefully Shu as well gets what he wanted, a bit less work and responsibilities, since hearing him talk about his job it sounded like he was always traveling and he might be a bit tired of it and also always seemed more interested in the smaller games compared to the big AAA IMO.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I believed so initially, but apparently not
Who you report to means little, your responsibilites and the number of subordinates are key. Going from head of WWS to a guy who will work with indies to make sure that their games run on PS console(s) is a demotion, no matter who you report to.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn, what an amazing choice. And I love that Shu is moving to something different, not something else.
Bring me that PS5 now please.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing. Hermen seems like an incredible guy and he is also extremely competent!

Interested to hear more about Shu's work

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Herman Hulst fits that ticket perfectly. His persona and what he has managed to establish at Guerrilla and with cross-collaboration in Decima has been great. Congratulations. And Yoshida is a warm personality that will gel really well with indies.

Oct 25, 2017
dOm2MyO.gif

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Herman Hulst seems to be a really good choice and can follow yosp's footsteps.

I felt their second party smaller games can be hit or miss. More uninteresting than a hit.

Yosp moving to oversee the second parties can be huge. I always felt that his managing of wws had a huge impact on the quality of their AAA games. Overseeing their second party could mean more quality smaller games.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Who you report to means little, your responsibilites and the number of subordinates are key. Going from head of WWS to a guy who will work with indies to make sure that their games run on PS console(s) is a demotion, no matter who you report to.
His number of subordinates is going to be lower, sure. However, I don't think his responsibility is just going to be making sure indie games run on PS5. If you read the press release it seems more like he'll handle exclusive indie games and studios rather than just work as a 3rd party relations guy (which they already have a team for).

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The notion that WWS head is extra prestigious compared to another initiative focused on indies due to headcount and assumed scope of responsibility is just tunnel vision.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering who the next Shu would be.

Helmen is a interesting pick. I think there are other people at Sony with more experience working with multiple studios and managing a portfolio of games. But he is a respected dude and very much a game dude and not a business dude.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Insane move, but I think I can see this being good
Imagine Sony studios working together like GG did for DS, but for their 1st party games

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what? Guerilla started as third party company releasing games on otehr platforms then they became first party, now their founder became the top of Sony PlayStatio? Really amazing progress he did,. Kudos to this man and his company and his humanatrian work for saving Kojima and his company. For that alone he deserves this spot.

Insane move, but I think I can see this being good
Imagine Sony studios working together like GG did for DS, but for their 1st party games

Sharing tech and devs between Sony first party companies was never new, It's just guerilla invested so muc more thanbefore. If this trend continues we may see games going beyond what their collaboration with KP resulted in and games looking much better than expected.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Helmen is a interesting pick. I think there are other people at Sony with more experience working with multiple studios and managing a portfolio of games. But he is a respected dude and very much a game dude and not a business dude.

You do know that Hermen Hulst was also VP of Worldwide Studios prior to this promotion, right? He is very much a business dude as well.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This is a pretty good choice IMO. It's obvious they wanted someone with deep knowledge about new technologies to lead WWS. GG has developed an impressive games engine that has also been proven cable of being used by other studios (and soon other platforms as well). I also feel like Yoshida would actually want to move to this indies position.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest in saying this feels like a big nothing. Congrats on the promo I guess.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
You have the specifics of the contracts and salaries breh? If not, then stop while youre ahead.

I've worked 10 years across 4-5 multinational organisations with both global and regional structures.

Job groups and direct report structures are relatively simple ways of assessing where an employee is positioned within - there are people whose role are just "consultants" , yet they have higher JG and direct reports compared to directors who oversee 500 people.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I've worked 10 years across 4-5 multinational organisations with both global and regional structures.

Job groups and direct report structures are relatively simple ways of assessing where an employee is positioned within - there are people whose role are just "consultants" , yet they have higher JG and direct reports compared to directors who oversee 500 people.
Then you surely understand that every corporation is constructed and works differently. So to make an assumption and then claim others have tunnel vision is well....tunnel vision in itself. Not trying to come at you or anything, thats just my take on the matter. For all I know you could be right, I guess we'll have to wait and see..

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, big move but it seems like a good one. Hermen's built Guerrilla into one of Sony's best studios, so I'm interested to see where he takes WWS. His experience with online games might make him take a few more risks in that area, for example. And while Shu's done an amazing job with WWS, I have to imagine he's excited to do something new after being head of WWS for over 11 years.