• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation has named Guerrilla Games managing director and co-founder Hermen Hulst as its new head of Worldwide Studios.

He starts the role immediately and will manage all of Sony's game development across its 14 internal studios.

Meanwhile, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida will leave his current role to lead a new initiative that will look after and nurture external, smaller independent studios.
The changes are part of Sony Interactive Entertainment's restructuring ahead of the launch of PS5. It also comes a month after the departure of Worldwide Studios Chairman Shawn Layden.

More at the link:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow congrats to Hermen. Love that guy!

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Very good. Farewell to Yoshida, excellent person but it was due time for a change.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Great news, Hermen deserves it

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, PlayStation CEO and president Jim Ryan said that Hulst's appointment will prove Sony is very much thinking globally as it moves into the next generation.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Congrats he is a very sharp guy .I m assuming yoshida will replace layden??

Edit:maybe not replacing Layden according to article

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Congrats to hermen, GG has grown a lot and he showed great leadership imo.
He was VP of WWS until now, so he probably already knows what to do.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Another point that the article about US division of PS running the show was kinda BS. All the European ones are taking over .

Feb 26, 2018
"Meanwhile, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida will leave his current role to lead a new initiative that will look after and nurture external, smaller independent studios."
That's the most interesting part for me

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good choice. He's done a good job with GG and seems like a genuinely nice guy

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit.

I came here to see what's up after Shu just posted a " :D " and this is not what I expected. Herman is great so I can't fault that choice at all — I just hope this new focus is what Shu actually wants. He's fostered so many incredible games and massive hits and has a spirit I don't want to see absent in Sony any time soon.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, just noticed the part about Yoshida. Makes me feel REALLY good knowing he'll be handling that side of the business. Makes me feel like we're in for a real treat next gen

May 17, 2018
Very cool for Hulst. Dude has put in the effort and time for sure.

Curious what in the world Shu's new position is. "Nurture and look after smaller independent studios?" What does that even mean? Is this something they already do?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
wow

Not even Yoshida is safe. That new position sounds like a demotion.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is quite the plot twist.

Shuhei has done a phenomenal job forever, so it sucks to have his control lessened :/

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Herman .
Shu taking on a new role is nice but won't surprise me if he retired next gen .
He was thinking about it this gen but stay on .

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
There's been a major upsurge of game development talent in Europe this generation (and last, to some extent) so this makes good sense.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a big demotion for yoshida, the kind of role you get before retiring shortly.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Nuke drop.

Herman seems like a good and intelligent dude. Sony should hopefully be in good hands

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
That's great news, definitely allievates worries about Sony pushing Indies to the wayside.