• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Some of you are amazing at pushing out your own narrative. The man himself is publicly happy about it and here we are, saying that he's being pushed out.

It's really kind of gross. Especially if this actually is a pre-retirement transition for him, to not grant him the benefit of the doubt and, well, his pride.

I'd rather prefer to think they're promoting up the role rather than promoting down the man. But people will be assholes if they want.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He looks like Nolan. Maybe some new meme material for Era.

Hermen_160.jpg

wp1985252.jpg

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Great choice. Hermen is a good pair of hands to take PS forward. Glad they are going to keep focusing on smaller games via Shu's new role as well..

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's really kind of gross. Especially if this actually is a pre-retirement transition for him, to not grant him the benefit of the doubt and, well, his pride.

I'd rather prefer to think they're promoting up the role rather than promoting down the man. But people will be assholes if they want.
Yeah people really love building their own narrative even with facts in front of the,

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Hermen seems cool but he's also very business-smile guy, which is not a bad thing for a top-post. I think given his company's repertoire he'll make a lot of good calls as head of worldwide.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like seeing developers in management positions. This should work out well. I am optimistic about the future of Sony.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is...really disappointing news overall. I've been losing faith in Sony for a while now and this just makes it significantly worse.
The new Sony certainly is gonna be different. After the departures of the last few years their focus has already shifted, for example they axed the external SSM arm which was known for those quirky looking indie games like Journey and The Unfinished Swan. PS+ has been dogshit in the latter half of this gen. Their Nipponese output is pathetic. Those quirky games Sony was known for from internal and external partners is diminishing and we seem to be getting bigger and louder cinematic games.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think you are the only poster I ever actually recognise on this forum, do you know why? Because you are always miserable. As soon as I see your avatar I know I am about to be depressed

Wow, glad I wasn't the only one. Guy just pisses and moans in every single thread, often with wholesale imaginary narratives.

Dude needs to get out more.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
That 90's PlayStation Games hope might be gone..

With Shu, if you saw him in public and said "Yoshida please Jumping Flash remake....please" he might give a smile and a wink... giving you hope.

With Hermen, I feel like he'd give me a WTF look "Jumping what? Who are you? SECURITY!"

:(

but seriously, congrats to Hermen. He stuck with it all these years. Amazing what dedication can bring you. Shu can now peacefully fall asleep backstage at various events. :D

Dec 8, 2018
The new Sony certainly is gonna be different. After the departures of the last few years their focus has already shifted, for example they axed the external SSM arm which was known for those quirky looking indie games like Journey and The Unfinished Swan. PS+ has been dogshit in the latter half of this gen. Their Nipponese output is pathetic. Those quirky games Sony was known for from internal and external partners is diminishing and we seem to be getting bigger and louder cinematic games.

I mean basically indies themselves have replaced the "smaller" studios and since there are so many of them pumping out games what is the need for Sony to work/compete directly with them anymore? Indies basically are the new A and even AA game developers, or whatever you want to call it, and the number of titles and demographic they cater to have skyrocketed this gen so IMO it makes perfect sense for Sony to instead as they have already said focus on working with VR developers and focusing on AAA games themselves instead of basically competing with the indies in a space that is already crowded.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting news. Seems like Jim Ryan is getting the exec layer that he wants in place before PS5. Wonder if we'll see any other changes in the coming months.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
This is great news.

That sounds like a great role for Shu and something he is passionate about. I felt like Sony had been going backwards on the smaller game front the last couple years so this gives me faith for the future.

And herman seems like a smart guy who knows what he is doing.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I mean basically indies themselves have replaced the "smaller" studios and since there are so many of them pumping out games what is the need for Sony to work/compete directly with them anymore? Indies basically are the new A and even AA game developers, or whatever you want to call it, and the number of titles and demographic they cater to have skyrocketed this gen so IMO it makes perfect sense for Sony to instead as they have already said focus on working with VR developers and focusing on AAA games themselves instead of basically competing with the indies in a space that is already crowded.

^

This, I feel those smaller games they still may make like Astrobot which was a small team out of Japan studio. And have titles like Concrete genie.

The rest like you said is replaced by tons of indie developers.

There's of them it makes no sense to compete in that arena. I mean look at NIntendo, they have a couple they make, but I think they know their big first party games are what sell, and that established indie developers are going to sell what they make.

It makes sense to go this route with how saturated the market is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Might be the first person I'll actually add to my ignore list. I'm not one for silencing people, but if all you do is just piss and moan without any substance, well yeah.

Let me be as clear as possible, since I don't want to start yet another argument. I just don't like Sony Europe as a division and I don't see much to be excited about in a timeline where it looks like Sony Europe has seized complete operational control over PlayStation as a business. Is it possible they'll surprise me positively? Yes. Anything can happen.

But as of right now, I just see the part of Sony I like the least taking over the future direction of my primary gaming platform and that's frustrating to me. You want to be happy about it, be happy! Just don't be surprised if some people don't share your excitement.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
How exactly are people reading the new Shu position as a promotion? Going from overseeing a global network of the most prestigious AAA studios in the business to looking after / nurturing external indie devs?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely asking.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Congraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttsssssssssss.

Guerilla Games leveled up with Sony these past generations. Well deserved and best of luck to him.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
How exactly are people reading the new Shu position as a promotion? Going from overseeing a global network of the most prestigious AAA studios in the business to looking after / nurturing external indie devs?

He's been a huge indie guy and it's more of a passion project. Since he's 55 years old I can see him taking this position for the next couple years until he retires. He doesn't have to travel as crazy as he was, and it's a little less stressful of an environment.

His passion has been indie games, so to do what you really have a big passion for without losing pay, is a big win. Indie games are the growing market, especially for VR.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I mean Shu really cares about smaller developers and he attends tons of Indie conventions each year. It's a good position for him. The question is how much Sony will focus on that side moving forward. VR is probably a big part of that market for them.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking that indie initiative will include a ton of VR support given Shu spearheaded PSVR.

I wonder if they intend to skew more MP with Hermen in the lead

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
He's been a huge indie guy and it's more of a passion project. Since he's 55 years old I can see him taking this position for the next couple years until he retires. He doesn't have to travel as crazy as he was, and it's a little less stressful of an environment.

His passion has been indie games, so to do what you really have a big passion for without losing pay, is a big win. Indie games are the growing market, especially for VR.
Hmm ok. I wouldn't really call taking on a smaller, lower-key role before retirement a "promotion", but I get where you are coming from.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I don't see it as a promotion as such, but I don't see it as a demotion either, particularly if it's a role he wanted, or a transition he wanted as time moves on. More like a side step. Technically he is only reporting to the CEO now, which in corporate terms is a promotion vs his prior reporting line. In terms of levels of the scale of the operation he's taking on or whatnot, that may be reduced, but if this was his wish as the years advance - and it appears it was - it doesn't sit entirely well with me to see it cast as a demotion. And we can only take him at his word that he is happy with this - trying to second guess him on this seems extremely presumptuous.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to see Shu taking a step back, even if it was going to happen sooner rather then later, due to his age. Excited to see what he does with presumably a less strict set of requirements for greenlighting stuff, it's also a huge passion of his too.

Oct 27, 2017
Let me be as clear as possible, since I don't want to start yet another argument. I just don't like Sony Europe as a division and I don't see much to be excited about in a timeline where it looks like Sony Europe has seized complete operational control over PlayStation as a business. Is it possible they'll surprise me positively? Yes. Anything can happen.

But as of right now, I just see the part of Sony I like the least taking over the future direction of my primary gaming platform and that's frustrating to me. You want to be happy about it, be happy! Just don't be surprised if some people don't share your excitement.

Again though, you seem to be conflating the games SIE Europe have been putting out over the last decade with two individuals specifically. I doubt Jim has ever been involved in the creative side of gaming (don't know, but I'd guess he's always been on the side of business/management) and Hermen has been in charge of one studio which is currently at its peak. Just because they're both European doesn't mean Sony Europe is taking over and doesn't mean we'll start seeing more of those games you dislike as opposed to more of the games which have been a fierce success for them over the last decade or so.

May 18, 2018

This. Soooo much!

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Might be the first person I'll actually add to my ignore list. I'm not one for silencing people, but if all you do is just piss and moan without any substance, well yeah.
Yep moving in the same direction too. Starting to hate this website because they pop up in every thread I am interested in.