• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Let me be as clear as possible, since I don't want to start yet another argument. I just don't like Sony Europe as a division and I don't see much to be excited about in a timeline where it looks like Sony Europe has seized complete operational control over PlayStation as a business. Is it possible they'll surprise me positively? Yes. Anything can happen.

But as of right now, I just see the part of Sony I like the least taking over the future direction of my primary gaming platform and that's frustrating to me. You want to be happy about it, be happy! Just don't be surprised if some people don't share your excitement.
BUT, you have based these thoughts on the game output coming from Europe, judging from your previous posts. Surely you are not so ignorant to assume regional output of games has merit in representing the European execs abilities to run the company. We SHOULD be looking at the fact that Europe is the region Playstation does best in, but no, you want to turn to the independent output from studios that just so happen to be in Europe as a way to judge the execs.

I swear to god this is getting insane with you. At least have solid evidence for your conclusions as opposed to your 'gut' feelings.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Wow, well this is surprising. Anyways, i've always been a fan of Herman. Watching the Guerrilla game development videos throughout the years, he always seem like a nice dude.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This is cool congrats to Shu on his new endeavors. So long as Jimbo and Hermen don't forget PlayStaion runs through America I'll be fine. SCEE's contributions pale in comparison and the industry is firmly focused in America. Druckmann would've been a better pick tbh.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Guerrilla is doing great, but I had no idea he was suitable for this job. I hope for the best. If anyone has more info about him please feel free to quote me.

Last edited:

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
BUT, you have based these thoughts on the game output coming from Europe, judging from your previous posts. Surely you are not so ignorant to assume regional output of games has merit in representing the European execs abilities to run the company. We SHOULD be looking at the fact that Europe is the region Playstation does best in, but no, you want to turn to the independent output from studios that just so happen to be in Europe as a way to judge the execs.

I swear to god this is getting insane with you. At least have solid evidence for your conclusions as opposed to your 'gut' feelings.
P.Smasher is usually cynical and grumpy, try not to read much into if not you're going to end up miserable. That's not a shot at him but he's usually like that, it's draining.

In saying that I'm not saying we should all universally agree but that's how he is.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Europe is taking over lol. Herman is great though. Congrats to him!

On another note, it looks like Shu is headed towards retirement with his new role.

Edit - Nothing about Scott Rohde?

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
This is cool congrats to Shu on his new endeavors. So long as Jimbo and Hermen don't forget PlayStaion runs through America I'll be fine. SCEE's contributions pale in comparison and the industry is firmly focused in America. Druckmann would've been a better pick tbh.

I wouldn't say 'firmly'. Quite some EU studios/countries on the rise.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, so it is indeed Hermen. He's a cool guy and made Guerrilla Games a powerhouse at SIE WWS. Congrats to him.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guerrilla is doing great, but I had no idea he was suitable for this job. I hope for the best. If anyone has more info about him please feel free to quote me.
He's been with Sony for what's probably something like an eternity now, is responsible for Guerrilla's success and expansion including Decima Engine, is an extremely likable guy that has a great relationship with tons of developers, etc etc. I think he has done more than some of the previous guys that had his new job lol.

This cannot be real. Serious now??? Hernen is a great catch for this position.
That poster got called out by the entire thread for always contributing misery to this forum like it's GAF. He's like this in every thread.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always nice for leadership positions to be held by people with experience in the development trenches.

Oct 27, 2017
Hard disagree. Activison, Take 2, Sony's Powerhouses, EA (not counting DICE), all the heavy hitters are based in America. It's unwise to shift control to another region that isn't Japan or the US.

Take Two and EA's most important development teams are in Europe (R* North and DICE). MS is also heavily investing heavily in Playground and other UK developers and Warner's most important dev is in London (Rocksteady).

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Jim Ryan knows exactly what he's doing. Really excited to see WWS output next gen.

As for the comments worried about Shu, he might've WANTED this new position. Nobody here knows the circumstance, but the fact that he's seemingly very happy on social media leads me to believe that he's... you know... actually happy?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Druckmann would make no sense he only now become a manger .
Hermen has been VP of SIE for years and has load of experience when it comes to running things.
He was also a business person from back in the early days.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a great choice, he perfectly knows what it means to build a dev studio and make great games.
Also the fact that they're again having a plan to support indie developers and Yoshida is taking care of it is really nice as well.
As a side note it's interesting that SIE is now run basically by european executives, there were people talking about them only caring about the US at this point....it's clearly not the case.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
wow

Not even Yoshida is safe. That new position sounds like a demotion.
Sounds like a job the anti-hero detective gets threatened with by the hardboiled Lieutenant.

"Yoshida!! You better watch your ass or you're gonna be looking after smaller, indie dev teams in the goddamn north pole!!

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So,do we think this will mean any change in strategy as regards first party games.The third person cinematic adventure game has become Sony's thing this gen and they have been fantastic,but will they look to expand beyond this with perhaps some proper RPG's or FPS games.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
The job change for Shu reminds me of the naughty dog anniversary video. Back when naughty dog was small and has less than 10 people, Shu and Cerny worked with them to create Crash Bandicoot, it really is going back to his roots.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Let me be as clear as possible, since I don't want to start yet another argument. I just don't like Sony Europe as a division and I don't see much to be excited about in a timeline where it looks like Sony Europe has seized complete operational control over PlayStation as a business. Is it possible they'll surprise me positively? Yes. Anything can happen.

But as of right now, I just see the part of Sony I like the least taking over the future direction of my primary gaming platform and that's frustrating to me. You want to be happy about it, be happy! Just don't be surprised if some people don't share your excitement.
You don't like the division that pretty much single handedly saved Sony during last gen? Good to know.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this is what Shuhei wants. Maybe head of WWS was too 'big' for him and he'd rather spend time on the small/weird stuff like dreams or last guardian or the ape escape HD trilogy remake (please make this a thing)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Take Two and EA's most important development teams are in Europe (R* North and DICE). MS is also heavily investing heavily in Playground and other UK developers and Warner's most important dev is in London (Rocksteady).

plus I think the new technology of flight has reached the shores of The Netherlands now, so finally Hermen will be free to travel to other countries and meet with publishers outside of Europe :p

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It sounds like Shu is going back to what he used to do decades ago / Boye's position at the beginning of the gen.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
so long as he doesn't fuck up the way Yoshida did with Demon's Souls he should be fine

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I've listened/watched quite a few interviews with Herman over the years and he always seemed like really good people. Here's one where he's chatting with Ted Price:

Also it's nice to see someone from this side of the company move into an even more senior role, as he knows that quality takes time. I believe Horizon took like 6-7 total years to come out, and all of that time was clearly worth it to develop such a strong new IP. I'd expect him to take things like this into account when he's overseeing all of the games and new IPs produced by WWS.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Hard disagree. Activison, Take 2, Sony's Powerhouses, EA (not counting DICE), all the heavy hitters are based in America. It's unwise to shift control to another region that isn't Japan or the US.

Ehh, YMMV but for me American developers have been on a decline this gen. Almost everything I loved this gen came from Japan or Europe.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
A clear, smart choice. Hermen is experienced and knows how to trust a team to reinvent itself.

Shu championing indies is natural step too. Now, let's get more Mike Bithell games on PS5.

So is he going to be on stage or who is in charge of this company.
Is this a serious question?

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017